Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Caim

Arcane
Of the three games Mass Effect 3 had the best third-person shooting with the best arsenal and enemies, but it sucked as an RPG. Mass Effect 1 did it in reverse: it was the best RPG but the combat-related stuff was several kinds of ass. Having an ever-upgrading arsenal isn't bad, but the interface shouldn't be shit. Mass Effect 2 hovers in between.

Codex Year of the Donut
ME2 only hovers inbetween in that it has the worst elements of both. I don't really get how so many people consider it the best of the series, I assume it's a severe case of consolitis.

Caim

Arcane
ME2 only hovers inbetween in that it has the worst elements of both. I don't really get how so many people consider it the best of the series, I assume it's a severe case of consolitis.
Probably because the combat isn't as bad as it was in ME1, and the writing doesn't shit the bed as hard as it does in ME3. ME2's main story wasn't that compelling, and instead it was the episodic side stories that people preferred. But not being shit in two fields does not make a game good. It contrasted with ME1 in that the first game gave the world length, the second gave it width and the third shoved the long and wide thing up your ass.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

ME2 is essentially a NOP as far as the overall story is concerned but has a focus on characters and most of the characters are interesting.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated

The main story is boring but it's really more about the characters. Mordin is my favorite squadmate in the series, Garrus gets a hell of a lot more personality than ME1, Legion is one of the best written squadmates in the series (and gets ruined in 3,) Samara and Thane are pretty good, Grunt is cool, really everyone but Jacob is decent and even his loyalty mission is still interesting.

I also quite enjoy the suicide mission and thought the concept was unique where it's success depended on how thorough your playthrough was + your decision making. The first time I played the game, Thane died because I chose Miranda to create a biotic barrier for the team and it's a job better suited for a pure biotic. I like how it punishes you for making a simple mistake like that. By contrast, I really can't remember anything interesting about the final ME3 London mission besides thinking it was boring.

Even though the main story was relatively banal, it didn't offend people the way ME3's story did (and again it wasn't the main focus of the game while in ME3 it was.) I enjoy how ME2 felt like it wasn't really connected to the reaper plot (a frequent criticism) compared to the ME3 shitshow. I keep mentioning this but the dream sequences were so bad, such a hamfisted attempt at tugging at the players heartstrings and they have been widely panned. Nothing that cringe from ME2.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Only reason ME3 ending is worse than ME2 is because it's final, ME2 ending in a vacuum is far worse. Fucking giant mecha shepard.

No, while it's bad, it doesn't actively shit on the lore and themes of the trilogy like the finale of ME3. A giant space laser than magically destroys all synthetics or blends organic/synthetic DNA into one being. How the fuck does that work in a universe that before ME3 had tried to explain how everything worked? The giant terminator guy was lame but Reapers had always abducted humans and made them into husks, the collectors just made a giant one.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Even though the main story was relatively banal, it didn't offend people the way ME3's story did (and again it wasn't the main focus of the game while in ME3 it was.) I enjoy how ME2 felt like it wasn't really connected to the reaper plot (a frequent criticism) compared to the ME3 shitshow. I keep mentioning this but the dream sequences were so bad, such a hamfisted attempt at tugging at the players heartstrings and they have been widely panned. Nothing that cringe from ME2.
ME2 was supposed to be a middle part of a trilogy, an Empire strikes back of sorts. The way it should've been:

ME1: introduces the reaper threat
ME2: sets up a way to deal with the reapers
ME3: shows us the grand finale where Shepard defeats the reapers by using the solution from ME2

By ignoring the overarching plot, ME2 burdened ME3 with a bunch of additional bullshit to set up and explain.

Codex Year of the Donut
Only reason ME3 ending is worse than ME2 is because it's final, ME2 ending in a vacuum is far worse. Fucking giant mecha shepard.

No, while it's bad, it doesn't actively shit on the lore and themes of the trilogy like the finale of ME3. A giant space laser than magically destroys all synthetics or blends organic/synthetic DNA into one being. How the fuck does that work in a universe that before ME3 had tried to explain how everything worked? The giant terminator guy was lame but Reapers had always abducted humans and made them into husks, the collectors just made a giant one.
still better than giant mecha shepard

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
fhovbinhitv21.jpg

ME3 also had good awful side quests and even the quest acquisition was extremely lazy writing.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
ME2 was supposed to be a middle part of a trilogy, an Empire strikes back of sorts. The way it should've been:

ME3: shows us the grand finale where Shepard defeats the reapers by using the solution from ME2

By ignoring the overarching plot, ME2 burdened ME3 with a bunch of additional bullshit to set up and explain.

What way could they possibly write to deal with the reapers? It took everything humans and the council races had to deal with a single reaper, how are they going to deal with hundreds of reapers without a deus ex machina? Setting up a way to deal the reapers is a nearly impossible task.

Codex Year of the Donut

What way could they possibly write to deal with the reapers? It took everything humans and the council races had to deal with a single reaper, how are they going to deal with hundreds of reapers without a deus ex machina? Setting up a way to deal the reapers is a nearly impossible task.
Easy: The reapers should never have been able to get to the galaxy so quickly to begin with. That was the entire point of ME1.

Codex Year of the Donut
Considering how fast reapers travel without relays(e.g., ME2 DLC sets them back what, a couple months at most?), the argument that they needed them at all is ridiculous.

ME would have probably been better off with REAPERS becoming a background plot item after ME1 tbh.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Considering how fast reapers travel without relays(e.g., ME2 DLC sets them back what, a couple months at most?), the argument that they needed them at all is ridiculous.

ME would have probably been better off with REAPERS becoming a background plot item after ME1 tbh.

We discussed that already and I agree but the problem is the climax of the entire series would have been battling Sovereign in ME1. If they would have had a trilogy planned out from the start, Sovereign should have been the big bad final boss in game 3 with his defeat delaying the reapers for hundereds of years or so.

Codex Year of the Donut
was it ever in the cards? I thought Bioware planned the reaper invasion from the start.
There's an aborted plot in ME2 about dark matter. Gets brought up a few times and never again.
If you think back to Tali's ME2 recruitment mission, it's about a star that's maturing too fast. It's linked to it.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
was it ever in the cards? I thought Bioware planned the reaper invasion from the start.

They wrote themselves into a corner because it took most of the galaxy's might to stop a single reaper, how would they ever stop an entire reaper invasion? They always were going to need a deus ex machina.

Wunderbar

Arcane
They wrote themselves into a corner because it took most of the galaxy's might to stop a single reaper, how would they ever stop an entire reaper invasion? They always were going to need a deus ex machina.
they could've just introduced ME3's deus ex machina back in ME2. Yes it's lame and cliche, but by introducing it earlier they would've had more time to flesh it out.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
they could've just introduced ME3's deus ex machina back in ME2. Yes it's lame and cliche, but by introducing it earlier they would've had more time to flesh it out.
That doesn't really fix any of the series problems and introducing it in 2 doesn't fix the problem that it doesn't make any fucking sense either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom