Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect (PC).. first impressions; can't say I hate it

El Dee

Scholar
Volourn said:
Anyways, ME is a great game. Better than KOTOR + PST + IWD put together.
Wow, that's pretty big shoes to fill. I can possibly believe it's better than KOTOR, but PST?

MasPingon

Arcane
Volly is on the killing spree! Volly, do you think Mass Effect is the best game evah? Is it even better then NWN 1 OC?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
OC? Tes. But, so is PST and even arguably KOTOR or IWD. :roll:

ie. NWN OC = 75%

R00fles!

DefJam101

Arcane
Stop de-railing the thread please, stop falling for flame bait.

Volly is right about skyway kinda needlessly bashing Mass Effect, you can find better 'problems' than being resurrected after a fight, especially in a party based game.

Disconnected

Scholar
Volourn said:
NWN2 is a console game? HOLY SHIT!
No, it's just that NWN2's henchman AI is so fubar Obs figured it'd be easier to insta-res henchmen than trying to sort it out :lol:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"All three games were better on their own"

No. They arne't. And, fanboy of what? You do realize that KOTOR is a BIO game too, right? So is NWN. *shrug*

WalterKinde

Scholar
Playing a game for 30 minutes you can tell if a game is not the must have PC RPG? How did you acquire this amazing power?
From the 30 min playthrough i saw of the 360 version (no i didn't pick up a 360 controller and play but i was watching it since i did request a third party playthrough) ME is not a MUST HAVE PC rpg game , does that mean its a terrible game that under no circumstances you should buy?
I never said the latter, its a game if when in a store you see in the bargin bin probably you can pick it up then, but based on what i saw and the fact that it is about only 25 hours long (exclude the drm for now) at present its not worth the price of admission for me.

DefJam101

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
Volourn said:
Anyways, ME is a great game. Better than KOTOR + PST + IWD put together.
:facepalm:
Ditto!

319047856_dbf1ef3e92.jpg

Fixed.

O SHI-

Raapys

Arcane
Hah, Mass Effect isn't even close to being better than the KoToR games. ME is mediocre all over, cept for some of the ambient music which is great.

DefJam101

Arcane
Let's try and get the thread back on topic; this is only to talk about the PC version of Mass Effect if you have it, or to ask questions about it if you don't.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If I could only take whatever drugs Volly takes to make ME better than KotOR (It is actually, no OMG YOU ARE REVAN!!!11! and no OMG FORCE FACTORY!!!111!!. PS:T um no. Though the (nod or the blatant rip off?) of the Dabus... um Keepers of Citadel Station was amusing. IWDII? Well I guess since it is a rategy type RPG's... kind of like ME I dunno. The main story in IWDII was ok. I'll have to wait and finish ME.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Raapys said:
Hah, Mass Effect isn't even close to being better than the KoToR games. ME is mediocre all over, cept for some of the ambient music which is great.
And EXTREME collar-grabbing!

Raapys

Arcane
I recently played Gears of War and Rainbow Six Vegas. Mass Effect's gameplay is basically just a clone of these, with an invetory system and some dialog. Template games ftw.

DefJam101

Arcane
Claw said:
What's better, Masturbation Effect or Ass Effect? I can't decide.

Ass Effect for sting value, but Masturbation Effect for possible underlying meaning. Choices and Consequences, brudda'!

Starwars

Arcane
I started playing this earlier today, and made it through the opening mission as well as some stuff on Citadel station.

I dunno, so far it's not bad but not great either. The first few battles I actually thought that, yes, finally an action-rpg combat system I will enjoy. But it got boring extremely fast. Maybe it'll become more fun later on, but judging from comments all over the net I kinda doubt it.

The whole cinematic thing, well... It just doesn't add that much I think. And I actually thought it'd be way more elaborate, I was expecting zooms, camera sweeps, weird angles, cameras all over the place when you're doing conversations, but it feels pretty vanilla. Kinda like the Witcher, but with the dialogue wheel.
Don't really get the wheel either. It's not horrible, but I just can't see what it adds either.
Choices haven't been very exciting so far (very vanilla stuff when it does happen), but yeah... It's early on in the game. It also bit me in the ass where I knocked out some dude when I didn't really mean to, it was pretty awesum!1 though so it's all good.

Voiceacting is generally good so far, and the faces *are* well done. Music also seems to be really nice. Runs perfectly acceptable for me on my semi-old rig, just have to turn off the shadows. No biggie for me. Think it's pretty well optimized.

The setting seems... a bit like we've seen it before. It's been pointed out before, but there have already been instances where I've thought "oh, that particular elements is from this/that game/movie". That happens in games of course, but I felt it was rather obvious here, but we'll see how it develops. The characters have been suspiciously anonymous so far for being Bioware, none really stick out (for good or bad).

My enjoyment level so far have been what I thought it would be pretty much. Not gasping at the awesomeness, but not sighing at how it sucks either.

MetalCraze

Arcane
just wait until the traditional "first day in the game" euphoria will pass. and then you will see that ME is in fact a big copy-pasta.

you will notice that all buildings on planets are the same. literally.
that you have to play the -same- fucking mini-game for everything - from surveying the resources to taking a shit
and all secondary planetary missions are:
land - ride to the quest marker on map - destroy defensive buildings/guards - enter the building you've seen 100 times before - kill everyone while hiding behind the same crate that stood there in all those previous buildings

ME is so bland but despite this it somehow has that "just one more such shitty mission and I'll rest from ME... or two... or three". I've noticed this thing also with all previous Bioware games.

MetalCraze

Arcane
you simply don't get the next-gen.
I turned it off - because it makes young chicks to look like grannies.
there's another "camera effect" - darkened corners of the screen. I highly approve - it adds style or something to my generic rectangle screen.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I turned off motion blur in addition to the film grain. My shitty LCD supplies enough of that as it is.

I won't have a chance to get into it properly for a little while yet, so installed it just to see if it runs okay on my PC. My first impressions were "hey, this runs a shitload better on my PC than that clunky NWN2, and looks better to boot". Which was nice.

MetalCraze

Arcane
yep - that motion blur is even worse than the one in NFS Underground. also bloom sometimes is stupid. imagine a dark green planet and now imagine a ridiculously bright Mako on it that shines brighter than the sun. next-gen at its best.

DefJam101

Arcane
skyway said:
just wait until the traditional "first day in the game" euphoria will pass. and then you will see that ME is in fact a big copy-pasta.

you will notice that all buildings on planets are the same. literally.
that you have to play the -same- fucking mini-game for everything - from surveying the resources to taking a shit
and all secondary planetary missions are:
land - ride to the quest marker on map - destroy defensive buildings/guards - enter the building you've seen 100 times before - kill everyone while hiding behind the same crate that stood there in all those previous buildings

ME is so bland but despite this it somehow has that "just one more such shitty mission and I'll rest from ME... or two... or three". I've noticed this thing also with all previous Bioware games.

You are correct about the shitty mini-game, but... Have you actually played the game yet?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom