Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Masters of the Broken World (Eador 2)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"durr, there is a combat so music should be energetic and loud and grandiose and fast, like a symphonic orchestra covering sex fucking pistols". Screw combat music.
That's the point. Have you played Eador 1? It had a much more subtle combat music, not like what you discribed. I like combat music, listening to the same tracks over and over becomes boring, it's better if something different brakes it up from time to time.

Anyway, I also have problem with the music and the sound effects. Combat music sometimes doesn't start, sometimes it starts, but the original music keeps going during it. The hit-damage sound effects are not playing sometimes.

And although the new music is similar to the original one, it was "enhanced" in some ways. I liked the original more, it would be good if someone could mod it into Eador 2.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
There was a bug that sometimes a castle without garrison still had to be besieged instead of being captured outright.
Still happens, I think. I constantly siege strongholds yet end up finding them completely empty. Meanwhile the AI can take your stronghold in 1 turn if you don't have an army in it.

The AI is also... kinda retarded. I am still constantly seeing it just give up on a shard a number of turns in, where it will just seem to stop taking provinces, stop attacking, stop fighting back. I've taken strongholds with absolutely no resistance many times over, and seen the AI completely flounder doing absolutely nothing while I capture the entire shard.

I'm about 10 shards into the campaign (have been slowed by bugs and lack of time lately), and still having fun, but the bugs are more and more noticeable to me even though the devs are actually fixing them at a very good rate.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm starting to feel that I made a mistake by by purchasing the game. The music bug annoys me, the long awaited hotseat and multiplayer mode is a joke (they just 1vs1 battles, not fullscale scirmish matches), and I just don't feel the passion in this game. Sure, it is prettier, but the original was also pretty (in its Heroes of M&M 2 kind of way :D ). It has a new UI, but I wouldn't say that it is much better than the old one.

It is not a bad game, but after owning and playing Eador 1, I regret paying 20 bucks for it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
The one thing I haven't noticed yet, is the difference in the campaign (although i only played 2 shards). What is the difference in this regard from Eador 1?

tiagocc0

Arcane
I asked about this, like when do the different maps appear, it seems they appear more to the middle?/end? of the campaign.

EDIT: I haven't bought it yet though, I'm basing myself on what I read in this thread.
EDIT2: And the only reason I would buy it is to check the new map types.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm starting to feel that I made a mistake by by purchasing the game. The music bug annoys me, the long awaited hotseat and multiplayer mode is a joke (they just 1vs1 battles, not fullscale scirmish matches), and I just don't feel the passion in this game. Sure, it is prettier, but the original was also pretty (in its Heroes of M&M 2 kind of way :D ). It has a new UI, but I wouldn't say that it is much better than the old one.

It is not a bad game, but after owning and playing Eador 1, I regret paying 20 bucks for it.
Sorry to hear that.
You can always consider those 20 bucks as a contribution towards making a possible sequel.
As for me, I've never played Genesis and Eador is my best game buy since King's Bounty: Legend.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Sorry to hear that.
You can always consider those 20 bucks as a contribution towards making a possible sequel.
As for me, I've never played Genesis and Eador is my best game buy since King's Bounty: Legend.
It's not that 20 dollars really, although I have to consider my expenditures lately, I'm just disappointed. The good thing is, maybe in a few months, the game will reach its full potential and I can come back to it. Maybe it will be a pleasent surprise. And if you haven't played Genesis, MotBW is still a good game, just a little rough at the moment.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I asked about this, like when do the different maps appear, it seems they appear more to the middle?/end? of the campaign.

EDIT: I haven't bought it yet though, I'm basing myself on what I read in this thread.
EDIT2: And the only reason I would buy it is to check the new map types.
I have seen rust worlds fairly early on, which I think are new.

I think a lot of the campaign map geography is randomly generated but I could be wrong. I know that other players have reported that they have come across shards that were unwinnable due to their geography, so that supports the random generation theory, but I haven't personally compared anything. I would not be surprised if the actual order in which you get shards and your bonuses for winning them are at least semi-random too.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Thanks sea, how different are rust worlds?

non-winning maps makes me worry
Rust world = your weapons and ammo decay very fast, putting much more emphasis on making more effective use of your troops within the narrow window they are at full effectiveness. I think there might be another new one but I can't remember right now.

Kayerts

Arcane
Here are some comparisons between Genesis and MOTBW. I played the whole campaign in Genesis and one map past the tutorial in MOTBW; difficulty in both was set to Overlord.

Changes, in rough order of importance:
( - ) Game is SLOW, even with the third-party speed hack mentioned a few pages ago.
( + ) It seems like they tweaked creature stats, closing the gap between T1 creatures. I was surrounded by five 4-man barbarian and one five-man lizardman provinces in my first map MOTBW; exploring only got me to level 2. I thought I was doomed, but I managed to take them on, even with suboptimal tactics. Also, fighting orcs at low levels is no longer a death sentence for a warrior with disposable chaff.

Bear in mind that n=1, and I was lucky enough to get a hero that started with the armor skill, so I may just be completely wrong about all this.
( - ) Possibly related to the previous item, less care seems to have been given to ensuring that random distributions aren't too ridiculous; i.e., I was never surrounded on all sides by barb+lizard provinces in Eador. There was always at least one goblin or militia province. Not so here. The reports about unwinnable maps may stem from a similar issue.
( + ) English translation seems slightly refined.
( + ) Prettier.
( - ) Fairly terrible UI design. There are a lot of places in which MOTBW makes you click twice where once should be sufficient. The construction screen might be one of the worst-designed game interfaces I've ever seen, which is unfortunate, partially because a lot of effort clearly went into an attempt to make something good.
( + ) You can choose the skill you pick up at level 10.

DakaSha

Arcane
Here are some comparisons between Genesis and MOTBW. I played the whole campaign in Genesis and one map past the tutorial in MOTBW; difficulty in both was set to Overlord.

Changes, in rough order of importance:
( - ) Game is SLOW, even with the third-party speed hack mentioned a few pages ago.
( + ) It seems like they tweaked creature stats, closing the gap between T1 creatures. I was surrounded by five 4-man barbarian and one five-man lizardman provinces in my first map MOTBW; exploring only got me to level 2. I thought I was doomed, but I managed to take them on, even with suboptimal tactics. Also, fighting orcs at low levels is no longer a death sentence for a warrior with disposable chaff.

Bear in mind that n=1, and I was lucky enough to get a hero that started with the armor skill, so I may just be completely wrong about all this.
( - ) Possibly related to the previous item, less care seems to have been given to ensuring that random distributions aren't too ridiculous; i.e., I was never surrounded on all sides by barb+lizard provinces in Eador. There was always at least one goblin or militia province. Not so here. The reports about unwinnable maps may stem from a similar issue.
( + ) English translation seems slightly refined.
( + ) Prettier.
( - ) Fairly terrible UI design. There are a lot of places in which MOTBW makes you click twice where once should be sufficient. The construction screen might be one of the worst-designed game interfaces I've ever seen, which is unfortunate, partially because a lot of effort clearly went into an attempt to make something good.
( + ) You can choose the skill you pick up at level 10.

What?

Technoviking

Novice
The more turns you spend on a shard, the longer the AI takes in finishing its turns. I finally hit a point where it took almost 30 seconds just to wait for the AI. It reminds me of playing Battle Isle 3 on a crap computer back in the day.

I'm guessing this is just down to horrendous optimization, but are there any magic tricks to speed things up?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The more turns you spend on a shard, the longer the AI takes in finishing its turns. I finally hit a point where it took almost 30 seconds just to wait for the AI. It reminds me of playing Battle Isle 3 on a crap computer back in the day.

I'm guessing this is just down to horrendous optimization, but are there any magic tricks to speed things up?
Nope. Widely reported issue on the official forums.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Check the potato you're running your computer from. Sometimes the potatoes go bad and they don't provide enough electricity. Of course, you could also buy a proper computer like the rest of us.

Repressed Homosexual
Hopefully StarLife doesn't crash my computer too.

I have never seen anything as bad as this.

I think it's because of my i7-3770k, I have read that the high number of threads give such lockup problems to some games.

I went to their forum, hopefully they don't ignore my thread, else I will initiate a chargeback.

Repressed Homosexual
I can already see it, he will make the game crash if a Canadian IP and a French-Canadian system language is detected...

I don't know how to make it run on one core only.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom