Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Matt Barton's Crowdfunding Campaign on Patreon

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Matt Chat is awesome, and Excidium is just jealous.

Keep up the good work!

Zeriel

Arcane
I really like Matt Chat, but man, it's never encouraging to have the creator of a show you like agree that you are "an asshat".

Hormalakh

Magister
Obligatory j_c joke.

The difference between his videos and other "interviews" are that he isn't trying to promote a particular game per se, and a lot of the questions he asks aren't redundant information you can find all over the web. His interviews have value. Can't say that about most other dev interviews.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
AVGN is not the only person you should be comparing Matt with. You should also compare him with the likes of TotalBiscuit who makes extremely LONG videos that receive hundreds of thousands of views.

Maybe it's like, you can make short videos about old games, or long videos about new games, but never long videos about old games.

Johannes

Arcane
AVGN is not the only person you should be comparing Matt with. You should also compare him with the likes of TotalBiscuit who makes extremely LONG videos that receive hundreds of thousands of views.

Maybe it's like, you can make short videos about old games, or long videos about new games, but never long videos about old games.
Or maybe it's not the subject but he just has to make a higher quality product.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

How?

Johannes

Arcane

How?
His format's quite longwinded. A full video interview uncut, is really hard to make interesting throughout the whole thing. You need a great interviewee and a great interviewer for that, both. Failing that, some good editing can work - tell some things in narration, and have the relevant quotes in from interviewees, in order to make the episodes more to the point and dense on information. Which might not be what he wants to do of course, due to the extra work involved or because he wants viewers to have the full thing to work with. He's a single man working on his free time after all and not a full documentary crew.

Sure, the subject matter is not the sexiest thing on the tube either. But changing that wouldn't really make him more popular as far as I see.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

How?
His format's quite longwinded. A full video interview uncut, is really hard to make interesting throughout the whole thing. You need a great interviewee and a great interviewer for that, both. Failing that, some good editing can work - tell some things in narration, and have the relevant quotes in from interviewees, in order to make the episodes more to the point and dense on information. Which might not be what he wants to do of course, due to the extra work involved or because he wants viewers to have the full thing to work with. He's a single man working on his free time after all and not a full documentary crew.

Sure, the subject matter is not the sexiest thing on the tube either. But changing that wouldn't really make him more popular as far as I see.

Cutting would make the video shorter. That's what I said - you can make short videos about old games.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Fuck off. Matt Chat is to video games what 60 Minutes is to TV--removing the long-form interviews would completely invalidate the value of what he offers.

Johannes

Arcane
Fuck off. Matt Chat is to video games what 60 Minutes is to TV--removing the long-form interviews would completely invalidate the value of what he offers.
What? Watch an episode of 60 minutes. There's much more going on than just the interview, and the interview they do have is much much longer than what makes it to the TV.

And they feature 2 or 3 different things per episode I think? So a single story is nowhere near the 60 minutes length.

Just watched this interview, it kept me interested throughout, that's what quality journalism can do. Sure the interviewee is a professional talker, on the other hand I've never watched a full episode of his show so it's not a matter i really care about at all.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
If we talk about content and guest quality, Matt Chatt is number one in my book.
But i really wish he'd work on his oratory skills : his voice and tone would benefit from being firmer, more self-assured, and as an interviewer he should learn to be more adaptive as there are often awkward pauses.
Plus better audio would be nice, but i don't know how that would be feasible.

AN4RCHID

Arcane

TripJack

Hedonist
an amusing tidbit from one of those blog posts appropriately named 'new year delusions':
What about other people who have already achieved that goal? I’m thinking of folks like Stephen King, Bruce Dickinson, Jonathon Blow, Ian Bogost, and TotalBiscuit. If any of these folks were to drop dead right now, I have little doubt we’d remember them 20, 30, maybe even 50 years from now
:lol:

It's really easy to have that mindset until you start being a content creator that has to pay bills as well.
please enlighten us in 3,000 words or less, what content do you create?

quite

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
People in the Matt Chat thread were saying he needs to have better editing and higher production values. Well, here's your chance to put your money where your mouth is. Maybe with the money he can hire someone to do editing for him. Also he could run contests / giveaways of rare game stuff (that might cost money to procure) ... stuff like that to increase participation and viewer numbers. And get a professional mic / camera setup.

I don't begrudge him wanting compensation for what he does. He's a great proponent of keeping classic PC game history alive and that's a cause worth supporting.

Yeah and aren't youtube videos monetized already?
I don't think Youtube videos are monetized by default - the creator has to opt-in for ads. Matt doesn't have ads, as far as I know.

You have to have 50,000 subscribers to get the lowest stipend. I'm also not sure how eligible Matt is because YouTube doesn't allow its partners to utilize unlicensed unoriginal material. Never been sure whether game footage counts as unlicensed unoriginal material or not.
That's not true at all. My YouTube channel has less than 1,000 subs and only about 300,000 views and I'm a YouTube partner with videos that are monitized, heck I even have permission from pretty much every game dev I use footage for and the ones I don't have it for are reviews so its easy to argue they are protected under fair use. I make next to nothing on the videos with such view totals (I've got a couple over 20,000 but after that it tappers off dramatically) but I still make a little bit. YouTube really removed all the viewer and subscriber requirements with regards to becoming a partner. You don't get a good payout when you have low viewers, networks wont get you a high CPM nor will you have a shot with perks that maybe high profit YouTubers get but you can certainly monetize anyway.

Of course there is a great deal of uncertainty going forward given YouTube's clamp down on gaming video content but theoretically Reviews should still be safe and if a developer gives you permission (which most are happy to do) you should also be safe.

Matt could easily monitize his content but he'd probably only make a few bucks a month. I'm not sure how many monthly views he gets but I would bet he'd get somewhere between the $20-50 per month range, not sure if that's worth the ads on his content to him though.

Is that so? The Internet changes fast.

Well, good to know in case I ever decide to get involved in the YouTube racket.

Monty

Arcane

Matt Barton said:
Even in these cases, I have to wonder if anonymity is really the only way to go. What if, instead of just keeping their views secret, everybody opened up about it.
I’m Matt Barton. I have hundreds of awesome t-shirts. And I don’t wear coveralls.

12747.jpg

Zeriel

Arcane
Wow, that blog post is weird.

He equates nerds arguing about video games online with the KKK?

Well, okay then.

Also, fuck anyone who wants to take away the anonymity from the Internet, let alone voluntarily. The anonymity is the only thing keeping people from being fired from their jobs by a google search.

Wild Slop

Arcane
Translation:
twitter guy that hates freedom said:
I willingly entered a Politics sub-forum topic and saw something I didn’t like. When I demanded some type of authority figure shut everything down, both warring factions paused fighting each other to join in calling me a [derogatory slur against homosexuals].

So I retreated into General Discussion where eventually a "helpful" local got me into click on a link which led to something called a "tubgirl". I don't exactly know what I saw there... my brain is still processing. All I can do to cope is cry in the dark while fighting unspeakable... urges.

Gathering what I could of my wits I complained to a moderator and was told to 'deal with it' (in so many words) and when I complained further, this time to the administrator, I was sent to a hellish limbo called "The Watch".

The Codex is for scum, unlike the rest of the internet, or the world for that matter. Why the Government hasn’t done something yet to that site yet I do not know.

Oh well at least I have youtube.

The comment section of youtube is a dastardly den of depravity the likes of which King Comrade got nothing on.

*I jotted this down after seeing the twitter post,didn't read the KKK article but saw the picture and the anti-coverall bigotry in the title.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
He picked a weird time to antagonize the KKKodex...

Not that he's wrong.

Repressed Homosexual
Wow, that blog post is weird.

He equates nerds arguing about video games online with the KKK?

Well, okay then.

Also, fuck anyone who wants to take away the anonymity from the Internet, let alone voluntarily. The anonymity is the only thing keeping people from being fired from their jobs by a google search.

Being against anonymity is easy when your views align with the current cultural zeitgeist. Then it's easy to say things like you'll only speak about what you'll stand behind.

In practice, because of something called social desirability, it means there is only one viewpoint that becomes acceptable on any issue, and that party line is enforced more and more stringently through mob rule. If opposing it means you a denied a livelihood then it means it's a choice which in reality isn't actually a choice. Opposing it effectively means engaging in thought crime.

If I started talking publicly under my true identity about how I support the traditional definition of marriage or about the true reality of the gay lifestyle, I would be possibly fired, and I could even be arrested in my country. If I posted it for my Facebook friends I would have countless individuals in huge anguish at me. I am in the impossibility of having conversations with pretty much anyone in my real life about the values I hold truly dear. Or see how many people have been fired for similar speech expressed in a non-heinous demeanor.

See how many careless teens or young adults on Twitter or Facebook have been publicly humiliated on sites like Gawker for a offhanded comment in bad taste done under their own name. I don't think they deserve to be put under duress for such speech. There's a reason so many of them are going through Snapchat or Tumblr, places that don't enforce that people use their real identity. Because they realize that when they are divergent from the mainstream and unwholesome in even the slightest way, it can backfire tremendously against them.

The real problem ultimately is the cacophony and multiplicity of voices on the Internet, that's what has a detrimental effect on discourse and human relationships in general. Ultimately the byproduct of it is only a lot of negative energy, or something so wholesome that it's phony. Short or turning the Internet into something as interactive as a cable service it will only get worse.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom