Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Matt Chat 220: Matt Plays Wizardry 8

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I enjoyed Wizardry 6 more than 7 or 8 - but probably because I don't like mixing sci-fi with my fantasy. 7 and 8 were still great though.

The scifi and fantasy mix is actually something that should be done more often (again). Used to be that Might & Magic had it too. Definitely more fun. W8 just seems bland and uninspired in general, at least compared to W6&7.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I have not yet played Wiz 6 or 7. Around that time I was quite into the first person RPGS like the underworlds and TES games and the Ultima series. I skipped blobbers in the 90s though I did play the Xeens.

DraQ

Arcane
Agreed, I thought "what an odd way to play". Maybe its me but unless I am just conserving mana in the interest of pummeling the last one or two creatures, I never want less than absolute control over a fight.
I don't mind burning mana, it often makes sense to frontload your extra damage or disabling spells, although you should know when to burn and when to conserve.

I meant more unambiguously wrong stuff, like bishop on the point in the first party (got killed), not exploring thoroughly (would get Matt his light spell pretty much right away) and not managing your formation/facing when enemies try to surround or flank you.

The scifi and fantasy mix is actually something that should be done more often (again). Used to be that Might & Magic had it too. Definitely more fun. W8 just seems bland and uninspired in general, at least compared to W6&7.

The best Sci-Fi fantasy mix, though was in Morrowind.
Wizardry was a bit of a kitchensink in regards to elements used - ultimately cool and very fun but also derpy, kitschy, incoherent mess of random "cool" elements, while in TES you got stuff like steampunk dorfs (who were actually bearded elves), demigod making himself cybernetic interface and experimenting with constructing cyborgs, and artificial life, one of the oldest structures in the lands possibly being built around an ancient spaceship while remaining internally consistent.

True, it's not Sci-Fi, per se, but more like Sci-Fi plausible in given fantasy context.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Wizardry was a bit of a kitchensink in regards to elements used - ultimately cool and very fun but also derpy, kitschy, incoherent mess of random "cool" elements, while in TES you got stuff like steampunk dorfs (who were actually bearded elves), demigod making himself cybernetic interface and experimenting with constructing cyborgs, and artificial life, one of the oldest structures in the lands possibly being built around an ancient spaceship while remaining internally consistent.

True, it's not Sci-Fi, per se, but more like Sci-Fi plausible in given fantasy context.

After that description, I may have to play Morrowind after all.

DraQ

Arcane

It's all subtle and in the background, though.
Cyborg stuff is from the first expansion, but the ending is disappointing in terms of implementation. The ideas are there though.
Spaceship thing, I'm not sure if it's actually referenced in games, or only in semi-official, semi-canon of additional texts by MK.

Overall I thoroughly recommend Morrowind as long as:
- you don't expect awesome interactions with interesting characters
- you don't expect good combat
- you can refrain from exploiting obvious loopholes
- you can refrain from looking up game relevant information on the 'net

It's all subtle and in the background, though.
Cyborg stuff is from the first expansion, but the ending is disappointing in terms of implementation. The ideas are there though.
Spaceship thing, I'm not sure if it's actually referenced in games, or only in semi-official, semi-canon of additional texts by MK.

Overall I thoroughly recommend Morrowind as long as:
- you don't expect awesome interactions with interesting characters
- you don't expect good combat
- you can refrain from exploiting obvious loopholes
- you can refrain from looking up game relevant information on the 'net

Any must have mods for maximum enjoyment of a single playthrough? Like bug fixes, tweaks etc. without (much) affecting vanilla game (but increasing enjoyment)? First playthrough (and very probably the last and only)...

Or should I just use those gigantic overhaul mod with graphic improvement and everything in a single, convenient package?

DraQ

Arcane
Any must have mods for maximum enjoyment of a single playthrough? Like bug fixes, tweaks etc. without (much) affecting vanilla game (but increasing enjoyment)? First playthrough (and very probably the last and only)...

Or should I just use those gigantic overhaul mod with graphic improvement and everything in a single, convenient package?
Do not use any massive overhaul mods or compilations.
Also I'd generally stay away from both cosmetic mods and gameplay overhauls.

What you do need:
  • Morrowind Code Patch - it's Morrowind the unfuckening
What you might need:
  • Morrowind Graphics Extender - v3.8.2 or above if you want to use distant land, but you'll need to set up short fog range, about 0.5-3.0 cells for exteriors, proportionally less underwater and in interiors. Morrowind relies on short view distance for its illusion of scale, anything more will fuck up your experience. You can set rendering distance above that so that you have horizon. Regardless of distant land you may need MGE if Morrowind is wonky or refuses to start on your GFX hardware
What you might want:
  • Wakim's Game Improvements, preferably modular - If you need to rebalance broken stuff like some relatively worthless spell effects or restore some artifacts that lack enchantments in vanilla (Volendrung, Auriel's Bow, etc.). You may get brittlewind bug (NPCs suddenly learning pretty much instakill frost spell) which can be fixed by something called "brittlewind fix", and some people allegedly have all sorts of problems (which I haven't experienced) with WGI, nevertheless DO NOT use BTB's as it's full of scrubfaggotry despite some neat ideas. If you don't want to use WGI, just skip gameplay rebalancing/mechanical overhauls, but don't fucking use BTB.
  • Adul's Advanced Combat - sans "paths" component. Simple enough mod to enliven combat mechanics a bit without overhauling it. Amusingly enough it only became really worth it after MCP came out and fixed fortify bug.
  • Better Bodies and Liztail's New Beast Bodies - IF you can't stand pinocchio bodies made of rigid segments and would prefer deformable ones, or if Daggerfall broke you and you can't stand glued-on underwear. DON'T get head/face replacers and don't get clothing replacers. I never found anything preserving the original look&feel, and art direction is an important part of Morrowind.

Severian Silk

Matt, please do a Let's Play of Prelude to Darkness. It's an awesome RPG that gets way too little attention from everyone. Some coverage from the media might be enough to get the developers off their butts and release the source code finally.

Severian Silk

I couldn't really get into it either. Mainly due to the interface I think. The wiki journal/quest log thing was confusing.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I used to talk to NPCs and spam-click dialog options until I got a journal update, then read that instead. True story.

DraQ

Arcane
I couldn't really get into it either. Mainly due to the interface I think. The wiki journal/quest log thing was confusing.
Original journal was still better than in, say, BG.
With expansions added functionality it becomes one of the best journals in gaming history.
shitty dialog interface.
What's so shitty about it? It's standard keyword/topic based system without manual entry and parser to prevent metagame.

I used to talk to NPCs and spam-click dialog options until I got a journal update, then read that instead. True story.
I usually click on topics that interest me. If clicking on generic ones I can tell whether the response was something new and read it if it was.

You don't need to talk with every NPC you meet and you don't need to use every topic.
And yeah, if you do talk about something with someone, every unique bit of information is retained in your journal, so you never get shit like in Skyrim - quest name with cryptic "talk with X" without mention of who the X is, where to find them and why talk with them in the first place.
Morrowind journal is awesome, because it's lossless.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Man, the 2D variants have aged so much better than this - good 2D art is fucking timeless. I do love the Avatars though, bad-ass.

I am on board with loivng 2d art, it is indeed timeless. I find too that the 3d in Wiz8 is so well done given the available technology. The models are very serviceable by any standards and they animate wonderfully. It is always obvious what something is and condiering the game is a 13 year old 3d game that is remarkable. The lighting also is quite good and I appreciate the art direction.

The mixture of 2d interface, character animations, artistic implementation and solid technical implementation for the available technology is impressive IMO. I don't know of any 3d game that ages more gracefully.

I agree. Going back to Wiz8 is much easier on the eye than Might & Magic 8. But still, I have yet to get into this game...(somehow World of Xeen motivates me more right now).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom