Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 233: Brenda Romero on Sir-Tech

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Honestly the whole Shaker Kickstarter was basically a pre-Wildman or Massive Chalice but much less honesty. Considering they basically closed down after the kickstarter failed it's obvious they were doing very badly but that kickstarter was rushed to all hell. They might as well have called it "We Need/Want Money" for how quick they jumped on the chance to get a free 1 mil.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I found more subliminal messages in that Brenda interview than a Stanley Kubrick film.

Notice how when Brenda tells about her love of legos as a little girl, Matt chooses to run a short segment of an ancient commercial with the headline "LEGOS WERE INVENTED IN 1947." Is Matt trying to secretly tell his audience this woman is clearly a vampire who bathes in the blood of virgins to retain her youthfulness?

Matt runs a clip showing a young boy laughing as his congenital twin falls to his death off a dock and apparently drowns. Which one was Brenda who survived? The good one or … the other?

Matt is clearly compromised by raw terror during this interview and is covertly trying to cry out for help from all of us.

Brenda speaks of how she gets around and Matt intercuts to a plane headed straight at a building. Can you account for your whereabouts on 9-11, Brenda Garneau/Smith/Romero/Whatever-your-alias-is-this-week whatshername?

Any birth pictures still extant of Brenda? Or all destroyed? Notice how Matt avoids profile shots of her from the side.

tumblr_lxx2szMpsA1r2ycg8o1_250.jpg

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
To think it reached around $250 thousand... Even I had $20 or $30 on that horse. How this place have opened my eyes... I found out about the Codex in the comments of that kickstarter, I think. Let me thank Brenda and Tom for its existence.

One man singlehandedly derailed that project. Like all true heroes, he prefers to remain unrecognised and unrewarded. That's the way GrimDarkly heroes roll. I've heard he is an independently wealthy playboy who never sleeps and lives entirely in his underground lair, fighting evil. As Grimdark types do.

130823083002-03-batman-restricted-horizontal-gallery.jpg

CAPTION : LOOK AT WHAT YOUR POPAMOLE HAS REDUCED US ALL TO YOU FILTHY LARPER
(shouted out loud in Adam West's voice)

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To think it reached around $250 thousand... Even I had $20 or $30 on that horse. How this place have opened my eyes... I found out about the Codex in the comments of that kickstarter, I think. Let me thank Brenda and Tom for its existence.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/lootdrop/an-old-school-rpg-by-brenda-brathwaite-and-tom-hal/

Uhm... I just saw on this page a link to Tom Hall's new Kickstarter ... what the fuck was this... mobile crap

That's no mobile crap, it was supposed to be a Commander Keen spiritual successor.
Cleveland Mark Blakemore on Feb 26, 2013
This looked really good. I wanted it to succeed. I hope Tom will still find a way to fund this. Don't get discouraged by a few setbacks, Tom, I never do. Unlike me you have a long history of success at things like this and I am certain you could get funded with a different approach or a renewed campaign. I intend to contribute when you do.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Well I guess he lost his traction, as did everyone who went into mobile games for the last decade and turned their back on developing "real" games.

That's no mobile crap, it was supposed to be a Commander Keen spiritual successor.

And yet it looks like just another iteration of the countless mobile games existing. This might have worked 10 years ago, but not today anymore. Some people clearly got stuck in time while the world moved on.

Last edited:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Well I guess he lost his traction, as did everyone who went into mobile games for the last decade and turned their back on developing "real" games.

And yet it looks like just another iteration of the countless mobile games existing. This might have worked 10 years ago, but not today anymore. Some people clearly got stuck in time while the world moved on.

The problem with platformers on mobile is that they are even simpler than 20 years ago. They cut out even attempts at any story, unusual interaction or real fun with the environment maps which tend to be linear to suit instant gamers. I am going to be taking a stab at it soon but I intend to go beyond jump, bounce and pick up coins. Well beyond. I have enjoyed platformers that incorporated dialogue with NPCs, wandering about exploring (instead of just heading for end of level) and atmosphere.

I really like this game LONE SURVIVOR. I think it was brilliant and I thought this is the direction platformers should go in.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Matt's weekly Goethe quotes need to be made relevant to the content of the video. Pulling out random quotes from literary figures doesn't make you an academic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom