Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Matt Chat: Baldur's Gate

Gord

Arcane
CorpseZeb said:
… lotsa text here... so I'm only with small nitpick...

DraQ said:
I liked preparation, but jesus fucking christ. Thinking strategically was possible, but party characters were notoriously unreliable when it came to going from A to B, and most of the strategy boiled down to disrupting casters before they raped the party.

Yes... but only if you insist using stupid AI pathfinding during battles... what's wrong with manual control. And I'm sorry, but finding weakest link in the enemy chain is a standard strategy everywhere, no matter BG, X-Com or JA (wizards in any fantasy game - can and do - inflict serious pain in the ass, I don't think there's any other choice of action than kill mothermuffins fast).

Ps. Story and character wise - I was talking more about BG2.

BG series offered some of the best mage-combat available in cRPGs due to a lot of useful spells and npcs using them.
Although I guess this comment may bring us another 2500 word essay from DraQ about why Daggerfall and Morrowind is vastly superior.

DraQ

Arcane
CorpseZeb said:
Yes... but only if you insist using stupid AI pathfinding during battles... what's wrong with manual control.
That it wasn't available? You can turn off the AI but you still have to click on stuff and let AI find it's way there. And since party members don't communicate on AI level, since they move simultaneously and since they cannot distinguish temporary obstruction from permanent one, the very moment where you start the combat in any environment that is marginally more interesting than large, featureless plane of derp is the very moment when one or more of your party members interprets one or more of your other party members passing before them as insurmountable obstacle, then wander off in random direction to perish in trap or unrelated encounter.

And I'm sorry, but finding weakest link in the enemy chain is a standard strategy everywhere, no matter BG, X-Com or JA (wizards in any fantasy game - can and do - inflict serious pain in the ass, I don't think there's any other choice of action than kill mothermuffins fast).
And it isn't problem. It's just that I refuse to by impressed by supreme tactical depth of choosing the fastest and least likely to fail action from following set {rush, pelt with arrows, cast Melf's Acid Arrow, cast Magic Missile, ...} whenever an enemy starts to wave their hands around producing some glowing turd in front of him, assuming you haven't scouted the area and positioned your thief behind identified caster or preemptively gased the area with stinking cloud which solves most problems with the casters as saving throw is fortitude and casters are often frail.

Yeah, it's nice that casters rape, it's nice that you have to stop them, but that isn't in itself terribly tactical.

Awor Szurkrarz said:
DraQ said:
Yeah, I have a save in progress somewhere and intend to finish it solely with the intention of porting to BG2, which I only played for rather short time before deciding that it might be worthy to endure the prequel for it.
What's the point, though? BG2 will cancel all your C&C from BG1 anyway, especially the party choices and will even cancel all your party causalities from BG1.
I'm an OCDfag. :obviously:

How about 1 second turns like in GURPS: Fallout, then? In that case you can even have multi-turn aiming and multi-turn casting.
Then you have really nice and precise control at the expense of combat dragging on.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
DraQ said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
DraQ said:
Yeah, I have a save in progress somewhere and intend to finish it solely with the intention of porting to BG2, which I only played for rather short time before deciding that it might be worthy to endure the prequel for it.
What's the point, though? BG2 will cancel all your C&C from BG1 anyway, especially the party choices and will even cancel all your party causalities from BG1.
Have you ever considered seeking therapy?

DraQ said:
How about 1 second turns like in GURPS: Fallout, then? In that case you can even have multi-turn aiming and multi-turn casting.
Then you have really nice and precise control at the expense of combat dragging on.
Which is a good thing when the player controls 1 character.

DraQ

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
DraQ said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
DraQ said:
Have you ever considered seeking therapy?
Nah, I'm good. :smug:

DraQ said:
If you insist on going TB, yeah - the precision I mean. Just don't swamp player with too much combat. With single character I'd just go RT since there is little benefit to TB against computer without character switching.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
DraQ said:
DraQ said:
If you insist on going TB, yeah - the precision I mean. Just don't swamp player with too much combat. With single character I'd just go RT since there is little benefit to TB against computer without character switching.
It allows high level of detail. It allows controlling a high dex/combat skills character without being an arcade game master.
Any reasonable combat simulation would be more sophisticated than a arcade fighting game and they can already be pretty hard to learn.

CorpseZeb

Learned
DraQ said:
That it wasn't available? You can turn off the AI but you still have to click on stuff and let AI find it's way there.

Nope, by manual I'm meant that – exactly manual control – step by step manually avoiding obstacles – without AI and its sophisticated algorithms (done by left or right mouse - I don't remember now which).

And it isn't problem. It's just that I refuse to by impressed by supreme tactical depth of choosing the fastest and least likely to fail action from following set {rush, pelt with arrows, cast Melf's Acid Arrow, cast Magic Missile, ...} whenever an enemy starts to wave their hands around producing some glowing turd in front of him, assuming you haven't scouted the area and positioned your thief behind identified caster or preemptively gased the area with stinking cloud which solves most problems with the casters as saving throw is fortitude and casters are often frail.

Well... then pretty please – be my guest, go through BG2 to BG2: Throne of Bhaal – and try some battles with bunch of high level wizards (y'know these types of guys who cast Time Stop on their breakfast and then meteorite your ass at the diner) – and you will see. I can assure you, these fine gentlemen gladly show you where you can put your acid arrow or Laroch minor drain... ;)

Seriously, Imho, BG1 et cohortes are not a proper Baldurs Gate and do not represents proper BaldursGateness experience, Baldurs Gate begins with Shadows of Ann and real fun starts with Throne of Bhaal.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Baldur's Gate 1 is the essence of Baldur's Gateness because it has Baldur's Gate in it.
Also, it doesn't break the continuity of the story unlike BG2.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Baldur's Gate 1 is the essence of Baldur's Gateness because it has Baldur's Gate in it.

… which I only found as advantage of BG2. I never liked story of BG1, so I don't care 'bout continuity. Matter of personal taste, story... that is.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
CorpseZeb said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:

… which I only found as advantage of BG2. I never liked story of BG1, so I don't care 'bout continuity. Matter of personal taste, story... that is.
I don't think it's what I meant. I meant the party's story.

MMXI

Arcane
DraQ said:
The problem is that characters are very specific devices with pretty clearly defined meaning that is extraneous to the mechanics. In particular a character won't be doing a lot of stuff simultaneously, unlike a party of characters. Increasing depth for a single character doesn't mean making this character execute multiple simultaneous actions, it means increasing selection of possible actions (explicitly or implicitly - by providing mechanical/environmental opportunities) and increasing the frequency at which actions are taken - possibly by breaking actions up into sub-actions (when multiple combinations of same set of sub-actions are valid), and the latter goes directly against TB as TB imposes minimum interval between decisions and needs to balance precision against speed when choosing the length of a single turn.
With single character it's essentially a lose-lose situation.
No. Increasing the depth of a single character only means increasing the selection of possible actions and not allowing them to do things simultaneously when you have a party to allow for simultaneous actions. If you don't have a party to allow for simultaneous actions then the only way you can get that sort of depth is to allow a single character to do so. You are treating the benefits of multiple characters in a very traditional way. If you claim that single character combat cannot be tactical then why are you dismissing ideas that would result in the addition of party advantages to single character gameplay?

DraQ said:
I'd merely have to refine interface so that player can implement decisions in real time. Tactical thinking can be very fast after some training and preparation can involve not just physical resources but sufficiently flexible attack plans on part of the player.
But you can do this for party based games too. RTSs are real-time after all and I'm sure you can micromanage hundreds of units if you are good enough. Oh, but you'll just mention that each individual unit in an RTS has far less depth than in an RPG. Of course, you are correct. But then my argument holds up that if you introduce a significantly greater amount of depth to a single character RPG then it could very well benefit more from being turn-based.

DraQ said:
Not really generous. 10 is about the number of weapons in FPSes of old, so instant switching between 10 weapons, spells or other attack/action modes is pretty much what you should take for granted in an RT game. In Morrowind (let's ignore tha fact that it's an easy game, for a second), when playing as dedicated caster, I tend to keep 9 *clusters* of spells prepared for immediate use, each comprising of several spells and accessed by a hotkey and quick sequence of 'next/previous' strokes - it doesn't take more than a second or two, so I can do this about as fast as trained professional can prepare a backup weapon, which should pretty be pretty much the upper bound of practical reaction time expected from a mundane character. Characters operating in enchanced time (either through magic or cybernetics) can have their bullet time or whatever adjusting perception of time to non-augmented player.

So no, 10 isn't generous. >60 is.

The problem which TB solves isn't depth, it's parallelism (and sometimes shitty interface).
Wait, you merely mentioned how long it takes you to physically switch to a particular spell, not how long it would take to assess which spell would be the best to cast out of 100 or so that are available. In real-time games I tend not to use highly situational spells when the time comes for them to be useful because I'm not used to thinking about using them. If a spell has about 10 uses throughout a game then I'm just not used to thinking about it in the heat of the moment because for all those 100000 other moments I'm thinking about more commonly used spells. Does turn-based have this problem? To an extent it does, but not because of in-game time limitations. Instead it's because you yourself will most often by rushing through the turn-based battles. So in a way I can say that turn-based combat does not solve the problem entirely by itself, but combined with a greater variety of quality encounters that gets you into the habit of not skipping through combat in non-optimal ways it would.

DraQ said:
Consistency of mechanics is also important and is a problem in traditional (non-SPB) TB.
Well, consistency of mechanics is a fundamental part of the game already. These issues just need to work on top of it. Having a consistent method of control in both combat and non-combat gameplay is important for unifying the mechanics, in my opinion.

DraQ said:
Typically the purpose of TB.
Yes, which I can't have in a strict sense because turn-based exploration of a friendly town with a large party will destroy the game entirely.

DraQ said:
Uh, we seem to use synchronicity differently. You seem to apply it to to what I refer to as simultaneity, I use it as applied to decision phase (so that characters can have their decision phases independently, whenever they need a decision, rather than at predefined intervals, except unlike RTWP, software and software only handles it's triggering in combat or other switch-intensive activities (though player should feel free to trigger the first, synchronous phase manually in a manner similar to triggering combat in Wiz8). Characters could be ordered to wait for specific characters or events to re-synchronise their asynchronous decision phases as well.
Strange. When I say synchronous turns I mean that characters take their turns at the same time. Their turns happen together, in unison. They start at the same time and end at the same time. The game ticks by the time units, allowing an enemy to shoot you as your character moves.

In Fallout you can spend one time unit moving out from behind cover, shooting with most of the remaining time units, and then popping back behind cover with the final one. The enemy can then do the same to you. Games like X-COM had reaction fire to allow opposing units to perform actions in each others turns. In other words, in both games, the situation at the beginning of each character's turn would not be the same.

When I say synchronous turns I mean that all characters move together. If you tell your character to move 10 units north and the AI tells an enemy character to move 15 units south, both units will move simultaneously until the game pauses to allow the player to choose what to do next.

DraQ said:
Why tiles? Unlike TB, which is very helpful due to human limitations, TB seems to be entirely an artefact of technological limits.
I'll assume that your first usage of "TB" means turn-based, while your second usage of "TB" means tile-based. There are two groups of reasons why I want things tiled.

The first is that, for a development team consisting of a single computer scientist, content creation needs to be incredibly easy in order to be quick. The vision of the game is to have a potentially huge hand crafted world, capable of being many hundreds of square kilometres in size (with transportation), but entirely without loading screens. The game is not about exploring every nook and cranny, but it's still about rewarding the player with custom content for exploring different areas. In other words, I don't want it to feel like a rogue-like, while I don't want the game world to be small enough for completionists (like myself) to feel compelled to explore every inch. Another part of the vision is to have the same granularity of simulation across the entire world, regardless of where the player is located. I don't want the game to run complex AI and physical simulation around the player, but crude estimates to play catch up when the player moves into a new location. If the game's simulation can cause one character to steal from another character when in the player's view, it should also be capable of performing the same simulation 10 miles away from the player's view. What this means is that, predictably, I need to be able to store the entire game world and everything in it in RAM, while being able to perform very fast calculations to allow for global simulation at a decent speed. This results in lots of data constraints such as objects being bound in world space by axis aligned bounding boxes with integer precision (a bed may be 2x3x1) and buildings being structurally made up of blocks (think voxels). If buildings could be giant meshes, placed irregularly throughout the world with floating point precision rotations, and furniture could be thrown on top of each other with their position and alignment calculated with FPS grade physics engines, there is just no way I can do global simulation to the level I hope to achieve.

The second reason is, as I mentioned before, I want the player to be able to work out precisely how possible actions will affect their characters, while making differences in things like positioning highly noticeable. Let's say the surface of the game world is broken up into tiles of grass, mud, rock, sand, snow and swamp. If each of those surfaces have different effects on the character standing on them, then the player can make use of the layout of the land around his characters to benefit him tactically in, say, a battle. However, if you could stand between the tiles then a character could be standing on 25% sand, 25% rock, 25% swamp and 25% grass. If that character moves a pixel the ratio will change slightly. In my mind that would make the simulation less meaningful on a tactical level, as well as allow for a greater ease of AI abuse.

DraQ said:
Isn't that quite a strawman? If anything, discretized positions are needlessly limiting to the player and I'd consider positioning limitations imposed by the tiles to be much more annoying and troublesome than minor inaccuracies.
Well, you have to consider that if I make a doorway into a room 2 "blocks" wide, and each character is 1 "block" wide, the player can easily position two characters next to each other in the doorway with a very small amount of path-finding issues, issues that would be both annoying and expensive to solve if I had pixel perfect collision of objects over continuous space. I do not see a grid as a huge limitation for a party based game with a high degree of tactics involved.

Also note that my game is truly isometric. The world is rendered in 3D underneath, but it uses an isometric projection to view the game world. It's not first person and it's not single character. In my view it has far more of an excuse to be grid-based underneath than a first person single character dungeon crawler would today.

DraQ said:
This is one of the reasons you have hud for. How well the character is shadowed can be relayed to player using HUD, though I actually appreciated using in-world model as indicator for that in Deus Ex.
Yeah, that's awesome for a first person or over the shoulder perspective real-time game. You can shimmy a little closer into the shadows if an enemy is starting to suspect your presence. And it could work in my game too when hovering a mouse over a position on the screen to move to. However, this makes it extremely expensive to code AI to make decent and accurate use of shadows when I want to be running AI on a global level rather than a local level. Also, again, all the points I made above apply in this situation too.

DraQ said:
Why treat the player as handicapped I don't know what?
An average FPS player can find intercept of projected enemy trajectory and trajectory of his missile in about half a second it takes him to aim and fire. RPGs are slower and more deliberate games, especially when phase or turn based. If player doesn't have basic feeling of time and space in game by the time he has grasped fundamentals of tactics, then he should probably see a neurologist because chances are something is nomming his brain stem.
It's not really about that with a single character. What I was getting at is that in a game like X-COM, you target a position that an alien is standing in and you shoot at it. The game can calculate whether you hit or not and how much damage you've done. If you miss, the game works out where your projectile went, destroying pieces of the terrain and structures such as walls. If the game has simultaneous turns, you target the alien and it could have moved by the time you get the shot off. If you target actual enemies rather than positions they are standing in, this would allow an alien to move back behind a wall before you get your shot off, making the game more about the player's prediction of what the AI will do next as opposed to sitting down, assessing the situation, then performing an appropriate action like in true turn-based games.

The real issue is with actions that take a long time to perform. Let's say the player tells their character to load up a mortar and fire at a particular location, hoping to hit the 5 enemies currently standing there. By the time the mortar hits the 5 enemies could have dispersed. You could break up loading and firing into two different actions so that you issue the order to fire at a much closer time to when it actually lands, but even this isn't enough if the distance is huge and the shell takes a while to arrive. That's kind of my problem with systems like this, especially when the entire world is based on what is effectively a pretty fine grid. If my game data was structured just like an FPS, with triangle on triangle hit detection and finely oriented and positioned game objects and cover, while doing per pixel line of sight checks and other such things, it would be far easier for AI to work something like: if A can see B, A shoot at B, else A move to a position in sight of B. It just doesn't really work when the difference in position between 1 square and the next is so great and so discrete.

I could easily do something like what Frozen Synapse is doing, but it's just not that compatible with the rest of my game design. RPGs are a completely different beast. It's not even easy for me to explain why it wouldn't work nicely, and I know my game and vision better than anyone.

DraQ said:
Well, you need a way to idle with all characters. In general it would be nice to free player from having to mash pause button and use built-in methods of triggering orders phase, except the idea I'm toying with would trigger it based on situation, rather than time. It would also be nice to limit ability to give orders outside of orders phase to avoid frantic RTWP-style clicking. It seems counterintuitive to make game better and more enjoyable by limiting player input, but the idea is that the game would provide interrupt whenever input might be desirable, and, for example, Wizardry 8 wouldn't work nearly as well if you could give orders at any time. Some sort of maximum "turn" length might be implemented as failsafe.
I agree. It is a very good idea. It just wouldn't work in my game. You see, the main benefit of your idea, in my view, is that you can then switch to a continuous time scale while keeping the same (lack of) reliance on player skill as a standard turn-based game. This would allow you to bring across many of the benefits of a turn-based game to real-time, allowing you to play a party based game without discrete time chunks. I'd love to implement something like that, and I've thought about doing it in the past, but the necessity of using what is effectively a block based world destroys its benefits. If you tell character A to move, taking him 5.235 seconds to do so, then you tell character B to shoot at a target, taking him 2.1 seconds to do so, the game should pause after 2.1 seconds, allowing you to tell character B what to do next. But when characters can only be in discrete positions and in discrete orientations, it makes predictions as to where characters will be at particular times difficult to get right.

If you want your character to perform an action that takes 4.5 seconds, it is easy to predict where your enemies can be after 4.5 seconds have passed. For example, you can roughly work out that no enemy on the battlefield can get in range and sight of your character within the 4.5 seconds. But what is 4.5 seconds over discrete blocks on a grid? An enemy might be 1 block away from being able to see you after those 4.5 seconds, or it might be just one block further, spotting you and therefore being able to get a shot in before you can. This is a reason why discrete time works best with discrete space, and continuous time works best with continuous space. A phase based system you proposed would indeed be awesome, but in a continuous time and space game.

DraQ said:
Yes, you should.
Doh!

DraQ said:
I think that stops introduced by turns would rob it of fluidity.

And synchronizing animations to system doesn't seem like rocket science, I'd actually like something like collision and physical engine to be incorporated into actual combat calculations instead of just being eyecandy.
Would be good for an action RPG, yeah. Though I really don't consider it that important.

DraQ said:
Compared to Diablo no (and it isn't RPG anyway), but compared to Daggerfall? Are you kidding? In what way did BG not lower the bar apart from having nice narrator and somewhat discernible characters?
Combat? Party? Items? Encounters?

DraQ said:
Recently? Yeah. And Skyrim is going to suck.
That's a given.

DraQ said:
No, sorry. Combat where your main enemy is retarded party pathfinding defaults to terribad. Terribad combat cannot be considered good.
The only problems I ever experience with the path-finding was outside of combat. For example, when telling all your characters to move to the the side of the screen after clearing out a dungeon level, or telling your characters to all move through a door at the same time. But in combat? Path-finding never, ever affected my ability to direct a battle. Perhaps it's the difference between our play styles? That would make sense considering you accused the game of playing like a mini RTS. When I run into combat the game automatically pauses. I then select my first character, tell it to do something, select the second character, tell it to do something, select the third character etc. I then unpause the game and watch the outcome. The game will often auto-pause when something happens during battle, as well as at the end of the round, at which point I do the above again but with characters who aren't current doing anything. I also often pause the game manually myself if I want to cancel a previously issued order. By doing the above I never run into path-finding issues in combat, nor do I feel like I'm playing an RTS.

DraQ said:
Again - 'W' key.

Except Wizardry 8 also has really nice combat and this nice kind of thrill caused by the fact you know you will be surprised. In Wizardry 8 you're surprised in rather campy sort of way, but you're surprised nevertheless - you can't predict Trynton or Bluff or Rapax territories from starting monastery. Even the wilderness areas are distinct enough to be interesting. The BG, OTOH is in 99% repetitive, same-y, generic wilderness that can't be skipped - unlike vast stretches of Daggerfalls generated terrain.
And you hardly have to go through any of the generic wilderness zones to win the game. You start off in one after leaving Candlekeep, the crossroads is also one, and there are two between Beregost and Nashkel. There is also just one between Baldur's Gate and the Friendly Arm Inn. And even those zones can be skipped easily by following the path. If you stick to these necessary wilderness zones then you most likely won't get tired of them, because you'll only spend a small minority of your time in them.

DraQ said:
Rather it's enough to ragequit and uninstall, and I'm not talking about difficulty here, which is rather easy unless you try some crazy shit.
Cool. Daggerfall's combat made me ragequit. Oh, wait, it didn't, even though it was far, far worse.

DraQ said:
Because games, by default are not worth playing unless they provide good reason to play them. "I guess combat is inoffensive, interface is semi decent and both characters and gameworld are sort of okay" doesn't really give me an incentive to play the damn game.
And you've conveniently missed out my Planescape: Torment example where I explain exactly why a game with some stand out elements may not be more fun to play than a game that is solid all round. By the way, do you hate Betrayal at Krondor by any chance?

DraQ

Arcane
CorpseZeb said:
DraQ said:
That it wasn't available? You can turn off the AI but you still have to click on stuff and let AI find it's way there.

Nope, by manual I'm meant that – exactly manual control – step by step manually avoiding obstacles – without AI and its sophisticated algorithms (done by left or right mouse - I don't remember now which).
Thanks, but if I wanted to play a game where I'd heroically strive to prevent a bunch of oblivious retards from casually walking into their doom, I'd play Lemmings.

Awor Szurkrarz said:
Any reasonable combat simulation would be more sophisticated than a arcade fighting game and they can already be pretty hard to learn.
And for a good reason - they rely on arbitrary, retarded twiddles for most moves.

Any game where player controls control a human who has to act in real time, can be controlled by a human in real time, provided it has good interface.
I can see how someone can prefer TB even in such situation, and I honestly don't really mind, as long as it irons-out TB artefacts, I'm not really allergic to TB, despite the effort I'm putting into this argument, but it's unnecessary and introduces unnecessary mechanics as workaround for inaccuracies introduced by another unnecessary mechanics - hardly elegant thing to do.

Now, when you control entire party, TB and other similar modes start to shine, because even in RT you generally don't play the game in RT, since you have to cyclically interrupt your input to switch between characters. TB just makes it easier and more automated so that I can play Wiz8 with dick beer in hand - a feat I cannot perform in BG.

(Reply to MMXI pending, busy restoring my post from inexplicable disappearance via arcane browser magic.)

CorpseZeb

Learned
DraQ said:
Thanks, but if I wanted to play a game where I'd heroically strive to prevent a bunch of oblivious retards from casually walking into their doom, I'd play Lemmings.

What a... Cranky Geekness (pardon me o'great John C. Dvorak).

Ps. ... and pure BS also, so I give up. Making serious arguments against an RPG game, based on peculiarities of its control scheme, ending discussion right here, for me anyway.

DraQ

Arcane
MMXI said:
No. Increasing the depth of a single character only means increasing the selection of possible actions and not allowing them to do things simultaneously when you have a party to allow for simultaneous actions. If you don't have a party to allow for simultaneous actions then the only way you can get that sort of depth is to allow a single character to do so. You are treating the benefits of multiple characters in a very traditional way. If you claim that single character combat cannot be tactical then why are you dismissing ideas that would result in the addition of party advantages to single character gameplay?
I do? (Hint: no.)

First, tactics doesn't have to mean parallelism, increased depth may very well involve complicated sequences of actions both during and before battle. The problem is that as long as we stay in the concrete realm where men are men, women are women and little, hideous, green goblinoids are little, hideous, green goblinoids, rather than going out to elegant and abstract kingdoms of games like Go, the main purpose of TB is to allow single person with single input interface and single focus of attention to perform parallel actions serially.

Second, yeah, I treat my characters in a very traditional way, for example, I'm very attached to the idea of a character representing a person with limited number of limbs, single head and some sort of physical integrity. It would take some serious persuasion to make me warm up to the idea of having my character attack several different targets with an array of sextuple-wielded weapons while also casting two different spells and hiding in shadows for successful backstab. Even more so if my character would also send one of his legs forth to scout out the enemy while arranging his remaining leg and greater-than-usual number of arms in an ambush formation.

Some things just don't translate well from single character to party and vice-versa. Party achieves extra depth by being able to perform concerted, pretty much simultaneous actions. Single character can achieve extra depth by increasing complexity of individual actions and polling rate at which the game asks player for input. However 'continuous' is pretty much max polling a game can achieve so TB doesn't benefit a single character much.
You can 'artificially' increase this rate by introducing bullet time and map a unit of game time onto a much longer stretch of real time, but then you hit the molasses, and it doesn't really matter if we are speaking of really short turns or actual, continuous bullet time.

But you can do this for party based games too. RTSs are real-time after all and I'm sure you can micromanage hundreds of units if you are good enough. Oh, but you'll just mention that each individual unit in an RTS has far less depth than in an RPG. Of course, you are correct. But then my argument holds up that if you introduce a significantly greater amount of depth to a single character RPG then it could very well benefit more from being turn-based.
It doesn't. Whatever depth you introduce to a single character can be handled in continuous time by the player, since he doesn't have to share time between characters. In RTS player can also act either in continuous time by giving identical simple orders to masses of units simultaneously, or in quasi continuous time by alternating between units very quickly and giving them orders that are still of very limited depth.
In a party based RPG player has to alternate between characters and give them complex, synchronized orders. Turns just make the syncing automated, saving player a lot of routine, but still hectic input.
Do note, that most of single-character RT RPGs do pause for inventory or spell management, it's just that they don't need automation of syncing on cycling since they don't have either.

Also, do note that TB still works better for single character in indirect, point-n-click mode - I have already mentioned that I favour RT for FPP (or TPP) RPGs involving single character, though I generally also favour FPP in all RPGs.

Wait, you merely mentioned how long it takes you to physically switch to a particular spell, not how long it would take to assess which spell would be the best to cast out of 100 or so that are available.
Because once you learn the system by heart, and keep a 'cache' of plan variants in your head, decision making takes much shorter than actual action of physically switching between items or spells.

In real-time games I tend not to use highly situational spells when the time comes for them to be useful because I'm not used to thinking about using them. If a spell has about 10 uses throughout a game then I'm just not used to thinking about it in the heat of the moment
Because you shouldn't. What you should do is see opportunities for each of those spells as they appear as the situation evolves.

How often in, say, Wizardry 8, do you not have most of your next turn thought through (in form of alternative variants) by the time you are allowed to give orders?

Well, consistency of mechanics is a fundamental part of the game already. These issues just need to work on top of it. Having a consistent method of control in both combat and non-combat gameplay is important for unifying the mechanics, in my opinion.
I think that control is mostly superficial, but unified controls are, of course, good.

The main problem with mechanical consistency can be formulated as:
"If I was an NPC, could I infer by just observing the gameworld phenomena that combat is taking place?"

For example, if a character can perform a series of actions (like exit cover, shoot, reload and return to cover) without anyone being able to react in any way, I know I'm in the middle of TB combat.
The problem with TB in general is that serialization of normally parallel actions can serialize things that really should have remained parallel. There are things like reaction shots and such that fix such problems but they are generally band-aid solutions, they apply extra, corrective mechanics aiming for canceling unintended side effects of original, rather than actually fixing the original.

Another example - in a typical AP system we have a character with 8 AP/turn and one with 10AP/turn. Both have 10mm pistols they can shoot for 5AP. The second character is by 1.25x faster than the first but can shoot twice as often due to the first doing those weird, 3/8 turn pauses between the shots. This is a timing artefact introduced by the TB system.

If you're aiming for unified, consistent mechanics, there should be no artefacts of TB combat that would be perceptible to characters in game. Everything should happen the same way no matter when, in regards to the steady ticking of the turn timer it occurs, and no matter if it occurs in combat or not.

Incidentally then you will also have a 100% exploit proof RT/TB switch.

Yes, which I can't have in a strict sense because turn-based exploration of a friendly town with a large party will destroy the game entirely.
Luckily exploration rarely calls for fast, synchronized actions on part of the party. That's why it tends to be RT even in TB games.
:]

Strange. When I say synchronous turns I mean that characters take their turns at the same time. Their turns happen together, in unison. They start at the same time and end at the same time. The game ticks by the time units, allowing an enemy to shoot you as your character moves.

In Fallout you can spend one time unit moving out from behind cover, shooting with most of the remaining time units, and then popping back behind cover with the final one. The enemy can then do the same to you. Games like X-COM had reaction fire to allow opposing units to perform actions in each others turns. In other words, in both games, the situation at the beginning of each character's turn would not be the same.

When I say synchronous turns I mean that all characters move together. If you tell your character to move 10 units north and the AI tells an enemy character to move 15 units south, both units will move simultaneously until the game pauses to allow the player to choose what to do next.
And that's what I mean by simultaneous. "Synchronous" merely refers to characters' turns corresponding to each other - n-th turn for each character will correspond to n-th turn for every other character. They may be simultaneous or shifted, but the important thing is that a character will only have their n+1-th turn when all the other characters finished their n-th turn - the turns will never fall out of sync.

I'll assume that your first usage of "TB" means turn-based, while your second usage of "TB" means tile-based.
A fuck-up on my part, but yeah, you've got the meaning of what I *tried* to say, rather than what I said.

There are two groups of reasons why I want things tiled.

The first is that, for a development team consisting of a single computer scientist, content creation needs to be incredibly easy in order to be quick.
That's ok, but doesn't really explain relation between tiles and the mechanics. It also doesn't explain submission to the tile based philosophy rather than it's conditional acceptance with ability to violate it at whim (like in Morrowind where you construct interiors out of tile-like blocks that require strict, tile-like placement, but also have multitude of objects and features that can be placed arbitrarily).

Another part of the vision is to have the same granularity of simulation across the entire world, regardless of where the player is located. I don't want the game to run complex AI and physical simulation around the player, but crude estimates to play catch up when the player moves into a new location. If the game's simulation can cause one character to steal from another character when in the player's view, it should also be capable of performing the same simulation 10 miles away from the player's view.
I don't think it's a good approach. While depicting in-game reality close to the player requires detailed and involved mechanics, there is no reason for substituting this mechanics for much coarser statistical approximation when the player is out of range, as long as it gives the same results when player isn't there to interfere. The player won't observe it directly anyway, and you will free yourself of limits of keeping everything in memory. More detail far away means less detail close-by.
I'd rather generate everything I can get away from seeds on the fly (constant seeds if in need of persistency), possibly generate alterations to this persistent world as well, using random seeds and some rule-system and only trace individual things and characters when necessary. Each chaotic or non-deterministic system, no matter how complex, has certain probabilities of future states. Future state can therefore be determined just as well by weighted random selection as it can be by meticulous simulation. The only difference is whether someone is looking so it benefits the developer and ultimately the player if you simulate up close but estimate far away.

Also, to help things out, most gameworlds are also stable, steady-state systems. :P

The second reason is, as I mentioned before, I want the player to be able to work out precisely how possible actions will affect their characters, while making differences in things like positioning highly noticeable.
Doesn't introduction of any randomization already invalidate that?

Let's say the surface of the game world is broken up into tiles of grass, mud, rock, sand, snow and swamp. If each of those surfaces have different effects on the character standing on them, then the player can make use of the layout of the land around his characters to benefit him tactically in, say, a battle. However, if you could stand between the tiles then a character could be standing on 25% sand, 25% rock, 25% swamp and 25% grass. If that character moves a pixel the ratio will change slightly. In my mind that would make the simulation less meaningful on a tactical level, as well as allow for a greater ease of AI abuse.
You can weight it for fuzzy transitions, randomize for patchy transitions or use selected point for sharp ones - what's there not to like?

Well, you have to consider that if I make a doorway into a room 2 "blocks" wide, and each character is 1 "block" wide, the player can easily position two characters next to each other in the doorway with a very small amount of path-finding issues, issues that would be both annoying and expensive to solve if I had pixel perfect collision of objects over continuous space. I do not see a grid as a huge limitation for a party based game with a high degree of tactics involved.
I'm not well versed in AI algorithms (alas), but from player's PoV there is little difference between 2 characters wide doorway and any doorway noticeably smaller than 3 characters.

Yeah, that's awesome for a first person or over the shoulder perspective real-time game. You can shimmy a little closer into the shadows if an enemy is starting to suspect your presence.
Well, Deus Ex was rather forgiving in this regard (way too forgiving, in fact), but you could assess the level of lighting pretty accurately by just looking at the shadows.

It's not really about that with a single character. What I was getting at is that in a game like X-COM, you target a position that an alien is standing in and you shoot at it. The game can calculate whether you hit or not and how much damage you've done. If you miss, the game works out where your projectile went, destroying pieces of the terrain and structures such as walls. If the game has simultaneous turns, you target the alien and it could have moved by the time you get the shot off. If you target actual enemies rather than positions they are standing in, this would allow an alien to move back behind a wall before you get your shot off, making the game more about the player's prediction of what the AI will do next as opposed to sitting down, assessing the situation, then performing an appropriate action like in true turn-based games.
You can have AI lead the target. You can switch between manual aiming and AI aiming. You can add indicators of various sorts. And finally, you can remember that your projectiles are generally very fast compared to the characters, so unless you're firing some sort of long range artillery, you don't need very complicated predictions to hit the target, so the AI leading will usually do just fine, especially with AoE weapons. If your projectiles are bizarrely slow for some reason, then it's a fact of life that you will often miss when the target makes unexpected move.

And you will have TB or PB to help you make your assessments too!

The real issue is with actions that take a long time to perform. Let's say the player tells their character to load up a mortar and fire at a particular location, hoping to hit the 5 enemies currently standing there. By the time the mortar hits the 5 enemies could have dispersed.
But that's the part of the fun with mortars and indirect fire weapons in general.

It's not even easy for me to explain why it wouldn't work nicely, and I know my game and vision better than anyone.
Hard explanations are always the most fruitful ones. Either way and to both sides.

I agree. It is a very good idea. It just wouldn't work in my game. You see, the main benefit of your idea, in my view, is that you can then switch to a continuous time scale while keeping the same (lack of) reliance on player skill as a standard turn-based game. This would allow you to bring across many of the benefits of a turn-based game to real-time, allowing you to play a party based game without discrete time chunks. I'd love to implement something like that, and I've thought about doing it in the past, but the necessity of using what is effectively a block based world destroys its benefits.
And that's part of the reason why I despise blocks. :smug:

Would be good for an action RPG, yeah. Though I really don't consider it that important.
I thought you liked unification of action and presentation as well as unified mechanics?

How about that:
In most games there are many hidden assumptions burried in the mechanics. Those hidden assumptions are often not thought through (and often impossible to think through fully), asspulled (since relevant RL statistics may not even exist) and generally limiting (in a way any soup of explicit, pre-digested mechanics will be).

The benefit of using less abstract mechanics is that rather than a set of explicit, possibly inconsistent or nonsensical assumptions you will get a much more flexible set of implicit, sensible and internally consistent ones - at the expense of being computationally intensive.
You don't need to wonder how much does a visor in your helm compromise protection against arrows and asspull such data if you can check for collision with helmet. You don't need to wonder how to limit usefulness of a dagger against some giant creature if short length of such weapon won't permit it to hit a (coarse) vital organ hitbox inside the model.

Since most games use things like physics engine and complex collision for purely cosmetic purposes, why not use them for mechanics instead?

DraQ said:
Compared to Diablo no (and it isn't RPG anyway), but compared to Daggerfall? Are you kidding? In what way did BG not lower the bar apart from having nice narrator and somewhat discernible characters?
Combat? Party? Items? Encounters?
World mechanics? Chargen? Item-maker? Freedom?

The only problems I ever experience with the path-finding was outside of combat. For example, when telling all your characters to move to the the side of the screen after clearing out a dungeon level, or telling your characters to all move through a door at the same time. But in combat? Path-finding never, ever affected my ability to direct a battle. Perhaps it's the difference between our play styles? That would make sense considering you accused the game of playing like a mini RTS. When I run into combat the game automatically pauses. I then select my first character, tell it to do something, select the second character, tell it to do something, select the third character etc. I then unpause the game and watch the outcome.
Which almost invariably ends up being "character #3 bumps into the backs of #1 and #2, then wanders off in search for adventure, failing to comprehend that the obstruction is momentary" whenever the combat is happening in the interiors.

And you hardly have to go through any of the generic wilderness zones to win the game.
But then I don't get all the cool stuff.
And the black unexplored areas will taunt me in my dreams. D:

Putting in square miles of generic 'lolforest', then hiding a powerful item under a clump of pixel in the far corner of the map is just plain old trolling.

Cool. Daggerfall's combat made me ragequit. Oh, wait, it didn't, even though it was far, far worse.
Well, it might have been worse, but it wasn't nearly as infuriating. Dumb AI is easier to stomach when it belongs to the enemy, even if it cripples combat gameplay all the same.

And you've conveniently missed out my Planescape: Torment example where I explain exactly why a game with some stand out elements may not be more fun to play than a game that is solid all round.
But PS:T was a blast. Combat sucked, but not nearly hard enough to stop me, even if it was an order of magnitude more abundant.

By the way, do you hate Betrayal at Krondor by any chance?
Still on my 'to play list'. Actually I'm quite pumped due to many awesome things I've heard about the mechanics.

I'm relative newfag, TBH, I moved from c64 to PC about the time when Terra Nova hit the shelves. I've been mostly working my way backwards retroactively.

memebot3.0b

Educated
Baldur's Gate I and II are as close to perfection as we're ever going to get

6d34b7070a.png

MMXI

Arcane
DraQ said:
First, tactics doesn't have to mean parallelism, increased depth may very well involve complicated sequences of actions both during and before battle. The problem is that as long as we stay in the concrete realm where men are men, women are women and little, hideous, green goblinoids are little, hideous, green goblinoids, rather than going out to elegant and abstract kingdoms of games like Go, the main purpose of TB is to allow single person with single input interface and single focus of attention to perform parallel actions serially.
Not really. I mean, that's definitely something you can get out of TB, sure, but it's way too specific. I'd say the purpose of TB is to give the player infinite time to issue commands/input into the game. This allows the player to do parallel actions.

DraQ said:
Second, yeah, I treat my characters in a very traditional way, for example, I'm very attached to the idea of a character representing a person with limited number of limbs, single head and some sort of physical integrity. It would take some serious persuasion to make me warm up to the idea of having my character attack several different targets with an array of sextuple-wielded weapons while also casting two different spells and hiding in shadows for successful backstab. Even more so if my character would also send one of his legs forth to scout out the enemy while arranging his remaining leg and greater-than-usual number of arms in an ambush formation.
So you've just given a retarded example of something that wasn't what I said or meant to prove your point. I never said your character should have a thousand different limbs. All I said was that your character could get the same frequency of turns (relative to your enemy) that you get in, say, Wizardry between all characters. Rather than you issuing an order and then waiting for all 10 enemies to finish their turns, you could get, say, 6 to 8 turns during the those 10 enemy turns. The only real downside is that your character can't be in more than one place at the same time, or doing more than one thing at any one time, like in party based turn-based games, but to say that it wouldn't be tactical is retarded, because I can tell you for a fact that I could conjure up a very fun tactical combat system out of this idea.

DraQ said:
Some things just don't translate well from single character to party and vice-versa. Party achieves extra depth by being able to perform concerted, pretty much simultaneous actions. Single character can achieve extra depth by increasing complexity of individual actions and polling rate at which the game asks player for input. However 'continuous' is pretty much max polling a game can achieve so TB doesn't benefit a single character much.
You can 'artificially' increase this rate by introducing bullet time and map a unit of game time onto a much longer stretch of real time, but then you hit the molasses, and it doesn't really matter if we are speaking of really short turns or actual, continuous bullet time.
And there you go again with your strict definition of what single character gameplay entails. Single character games do achieve extra depth in the way you've stated, but that's because they are mostly all made for continuous real-time movement like Daggerfall. You're basically saying that single character games can only be designed in the way everyone has always designed them. Well, you're wrong.

DraQ said:
It doesn't. Whatever depth you introduce to a single character can be handled in continuous time by the player, since he doesn't have to share time between characters. In RTS player can also act either in continuous time by giving identical simple orders to masses of units simultaneously, or in quasi continuous time by alternating between units very quickly and giving them orders that are still of very limited depth.
In a party based RPG player has to alternate between characters and give them complex, synchronized orders. Turns just make the syncing automated, saving player a lot of routine, but still hectic input.
Do note, that most of single-character RT RPGs do pause for inventory or spell management, it's just that they don't need automation of syncing on cycling since they don't have either.

Also, do note that TB still works better for single character in indirect, point-n-click mode - I have already mentioned that I favour RT for FPP (or TPP) RPGs involving single character, though I generally also favour FPP in all RPGs.
Of course it can be handled in continuous time by the player. So could Wizardry 8 if it was real-time. It would just completely change the game and require completely different difficulty balancing. What I'm saying is that if I made this single character first person turn-based RPG, and balanced the combat to make it difficult, if you were then to modify the game to make it real-time, would you have to tweak the difficulty of the encounters? I would argue yes, you would. But why? Because you've fundamentally changed the gameplay! You've changed what is required of the player! Why can't you see this?

DraQ said:
Because once you learn the system by heart, and keep a 'cache' of plan variants in your head, decision making takes much shorter than actual action of physically switching between items or spells.
That's awesome. You've basically just admitted that the game can only contain limited variants of encounters so that you can successfully keep a cache of plans in your head without being the memory man. Also, you've just added another player requirement, good memory.

DraQ said:
Because you shouldn't. What you should do is see opportunities for each of those spells as they appear as the situation evolves.
What? That makes no sense in the context of what I said. If you hardly ever use an ability you won't think to use that ability when the situation is ripe for it. This is basically a fact. At least more of a fact than anything else we've discussed in this thread so far.

DraQ said:
How often in, say, Wizardry 8, do you not have most of your next turn thought through (in form of alternative variants) by the time you are allowed to give orders?
Rarely. But that's actually a flaw with Wizardry 8, despite how good the game is.

DraQ said:
I think that control is mostly superficial, but unified controls are, of course, good.

The main problem with mechanical consistency can be formulated as:
"If I was an NPC, could I infer by just observing the gameworld phenomena that combat is taking place?"

For example, if a character can perform a series of actions (like exit cover, shoot, reload and return to cover) without anyone being able to react in any way, I know I'm in the middle of TB combat.
The problem with TB in general is that serialization of normally parallel actions can serialize things that really should have remained parallel. There are things like reaction shots and such that fix such problems but they are generally band-aid solutions, they apply extra, corrective mechanics aiming for canceling unintended side effects of original, rather than actually fixing the original.

Another example - in a typical AP system we have a character with 8 AP/turn and one with 10AP/turn. Both have 10mm pistols they can shoot for 5AP. The second character is by 1.25x faster than the first but can shoot twice as often due to the first doing those weird, 3/8 turn pauses between the shots. This is a timing artefact introduced by the TB system.

If you're aiming for unified, consistent mechanics, there should be no artefacts of TB combat that would be perceptible to characters in game. Everything should happen the same way no matter when, in regards to the steady ticking of the turn timer it occurs, and no matter if it occurs in combat or not.

Incidentally then you will also have a 100% exploit proof RT/TB switch.
I agree with you here, even though I can think of a way of patching up the example you gave (with a carry over of time units). But it's not the realism I want to model. I don't mind if my system is completely abstract and turn-based, serialising all action in the game. As long as it's consistent throughout gameplay, from combat situations to non-combat situations. And because turn-based gameplay sucks outside of combat, I'm trying to think of a way around it without having two discrete modes of gameplay (turn-based for combat and real-time outside of combat). You see, the problem with Fallout and other such games with turn-based combat is that combat plays out like a mini-game in relation to the rest of the game. It introduces lots of new mechanics for you to play with (time units and stuff like that). I want to avoid that because I want to unify combat and non-combat gameplay. For example, I want situations where combat can be taking place in one area of the game world involving one of your characters, while a conversation or computer hacking can be taking place in another area of the game world with another one of your characters. That way you can do some unusual things like holding off an attack on a warehouse in one city while hacking the security to activate the warehouse defences with your hacker character from another city, at the same time. Instead of resolving combat and then switching to your hacker to hack the computer systems, you can get into situations where you have to hold off from an unbeatable enemy force while getting your hacker to turn on the defences as soon as possible. It brings urgency to the game without bringing player urgency (real-time) into it. Simultaneous combat activities (attacking and moving) and non-combat activities (hacking, looting, talking, repairing etc).

DraQ said:
Luckily exploration rarely calls for fast, synchronized actions on part of the party. That's why it tends to be RT even in TB games.
:]
Thanks for enlightening me. I'm now going to go ahead and break rule #1... therefore making combat distinct from the rest of the gameplay... like in just about every other RPG out there...

DraQ said:
And that's what I mean by simultaneous. "Synchronous" merely refers to characters' turns corresponding to each other - n-th turn for each character will correspond to n-th turn for every other character. They may be simultaneous or shifted, but the important thing is that a character will only have their n+1-th turn when all the other characters finished their n-th turn - the turns will never fall out of sync.
Meh. Definitions. The reason why I wouldn't call that synchronous is because the start and end of one character's turn isn't the same as the start and end of another character's turn. Whoever gets their turn first would have moved by the time the other gets theirs. Though don't bother replying to this point, it's really not worth the hassle to discuss it as it isn't meaningful in any way.

DraQ said:
That's ok, but doesn't really explain relation between tiles and the mechanics. It also doesn't explain submission to the tile based philosophy rather than it's conditional acceptance with ability to violate it at whim (like in Morrowind where you construct interiors out of tile-like blocks that require strict, tile-like placement, but also have multitude of objects and features that can be placed arbitrarily).
I know what you mean, it's just that it's easier to fit objects with fixed integer dimensions, like 2x2x2 and 3x4x1, into rooms that are also of fixed integer dimensions, such as 6x6x3. It also makes placement of objects far easier in editors and the like. Also, it makes it easier to calculate the movement of objects in the game world as you don't have to worry about arbitrary alignment and, say, collision reaction. I mean, if you have two objects next to each other with a 1 block space between then, and each character is 1 block wide, you can easily walk between the two objects by just telling your character to move into a square between them. If there isn't a strict grid placement then the objects may be 0.95 character widths away from each other, either requiring me to prevent the player from moving their character between the two objects, or doing collision reactions to "push" the two objects apart as the character shoves their way between them. It's just far more work for such little benefit for a tactical party based game in a huge custom created world with a single developer. Plus, being my first game, I don't really want to aim for "perfection" right away. It'd take way too long and I'd risk it becoming vapourware.

DraQ said:
I don't think it's a good approach. While depicting in-game reality close to the player requires detailed and involved mechanics, there is no reason for substituting this mechanics for much coarser statistical approximation when the player is out of range, as long as it gives the same results when player isn't there to interfere. The player won't observe it directly anyway, and you will free yourself of limits of keeping everything in memory. More detail far away means less detail close-by.
That would normally be true, but considering I want to allow for split parties, and considering that I would want player characters to be able to interfere with other locations remotely (hacking computer systems, planting timed explosives and legging it out of town), I really think it'd be best to at least attempt uniform NPC simulation. One decent compromise I can see is to perform AI updates more frequently for characters nearer to any of your characters. That way NPCs would still "physically" walk in front of remotely activated gun turrets, but with less frequently updated AI steps than nearer NPCs. Optimisation, at the current stage of development, is not a priority.

DraQ said:
I'd rather generate everything I can get away from seeds on the fly (constant seeds if in need of persistency), possibly generate alterations to this persistent world as well, using random seeds and some rule-system and only trace individual things and characters when necessary. Each chaotic or non-deterministic system, no matter how complex, has certain probabilities of future states. Future state can therefore be determined just as well by weighted random selection as it can be by meticulous simulation. The only difference is whether someone is looking so it benefits the developer and ultimately the player if you simulate up close but estimate far away.

Also, to help things out, most gameworlds are also stable, steady-state systems. :P
I agree with that because it's generally true. The issue here is that "what you see" (being within the view frustum or perhaps a slightly larger area for combat/sniping) isn't really what the player is affecting. In most games it is, though. The player only affects what's around him. However, in my game you can affect things remotely just as easily as you can locally. This is definitely a pretty unusual gameplay feature, but it's actually related directly to the stand out elements of the game. I would mention them, but I don't really want to spread my ideas too widely at this moment in time. The only hint I can give is that all NPCs in the game world are interchangeable with your own characters.

DraQ said:
Doesn't introduction of any randomization already invalidate that?
Nah, unless the randomisation is hidden from the player. Knowing probabilities is fine when working out tactics. Hidden randomisation would be the hindrance. What's the difference between 2D4 and 2-8 damage? With 2D4 you know the distribution over the 2 to 8 damage range. With 2-8 damage you can only assume it's uniform. Even worse, knowing that you can do up to 500 damage based on indeterminable conditions makes situations tactically retarded to solve. The elimination of estimates and guess work is the key, from my point of view.

DraQ said:
You can weight it for fuzzy transitions, randomize for patchy transitions or use selected point for sharp ones - what's there not to like?
I know it's doable. My terrain layer, as it stands, uses what you call "fuzzy" transitions, while my "man made" ground layer would be sharp. However, this is only for the visuals. Underneath it works as sharp transitions. Why? One is that it speeds up calculations for thousands of NPCs. Another is that it makes AI both easier to code and quicker to run. Another, on a gameplay level, is that it makes character locations more meaningful in terms of tactics. Moving one pixel on a fuzzy transition wouldn't have any sort of significant benefit tactically. It might make for a far more realistic simulation, especially if you do the calculations under the hood, away from the player's eyes, but tactically, from the player's point of view, it's just too much irrelevant information. It's not meaningful for the player to be presented with the following options:

Would you like to be standing on:
a) 51% grass and 49% mud.
b) 49% grass and 51% mud.

I'd much rather provide the player with the following options:

Would you like to be standing on:
a) Grass.
b) Mud.

DraQ said:
I'm not well versed in AI algorithms (alas), but from player's PoV there is little difference between 2 characters wide doorway and any doorway noticeably smaller than 3 characters.
From a player's point of view, you're right. Unless the player's characters are 2 blocks wide, the door is noticeably less than 6 blocks wide (but greater than 5) and there are 1 block wide enemy types. I understand where you are coming from, though. It's just that it makes world creation (for me) far easier if everything "snaps to grid". I can line things up nicely and the game can rigidly pack objects within spaces, without allowing for gaps that are too big or gaps that are too small. However, what I'm trying to emphasise is that I'm not doing things this way just because it's easier for me. The game is designed around it too, both in terms of what the player gets out of the game and the scope of the world simulation.

DraQ said:
Well, Deus Ex was rather forgiving in this regard (way too forgiving, in fact), but you could assess the level of lighting pretty accurately by just looking at the shadows.
Of course. But if you have dynamic shadows it's a very expensive calculation when you have to apply it to lots of characters in order to run the AI.

DraQ said:
You can have AI lead the target. You can switch between manual aiming and AI aiming. You can add indicators of various sorts. And finally, you can remember that your projectiles are generally very fast compared to the characters, so unless you're firing some sort of long range artillery, you don't need very complicated predictions to hit the target, so the AI leading will usually do just fine, especially with AoE weapons. If your projectiles are bizarrely slow for some reason, then it's a fact of life that you will often miss when the target makes unexpected move.

And you will have TB or PB to help you make your assessments too!
Yeah, that's true. I'll have to think about how I can get that to work nicely while limiting the game to grid movement. I really cannot afford to make real-time calculations in a continuous space world. It's not an FPS after all. The scale of the game is much too large and the work required would be far too great.

DraQ said:
But that's the part of the fun with mortars and indirect fire weapons in general.
I do see your point, but then it's no longer purely down to statistics vs statistics. It's down to the unpredictability of the AI too. You could argue that it's a bonus, and you may even have a point, but I'd much prefer AI to play a part between actions rather than during actions. So, for example, between mortar loading and mortar firing, not during the loading stage and firing stage (unless either one of them takes longer than some given time unit). This is definitely subjective and gameplay dependent.

DraQ said:
Hard explanations are always the most fruitful ones. Either way and to both sides.
I agree. This thread alone has ironed out many problems that have existed in my head for a year. Writing things down makes you think through problems methodically.

DraQ said:
And that's part of the reason why I despise blocks. :smug:
That's fine. But I don't have enough content creators to hand craft a world in an irregular manner (not using block/tile placement). Creating a room in an FPS level editor is far more work than creating a room in, say, The Sims. And would you really get much benefit from the former in a party based isometric RPG? Not really.

DraQ said:
I thought you liked unification of action and presentation as well as unified mechanics?
Action and presentation? Not so much. Mechanics? Definitely. After all, I don't mind if the game animates a character walking from one grid space to another like in Fallout, even though, technically, they are really in one block or another once combat is activated. Presentation can have as much polish as it wants. I'm a massive fan of unified mechanics and thus unified control among all aspects of the gameplay. I despise the idea of mini-games, and ultimately that's what combat is in many RPGs. Or, rather, combat is the meat of the game and exploration is the mini-game. Either way, I don't like the idea of RPGs "switching modes" during gameplay. I'm not saying I don't enjoy games like that. Some of my favourites have lots of different modes of play. But my vision is for a game with uniformity.

DraQ said:
How about that:
In most games there are many hidden assumptions burried in the mechanics. Those hidden assumptions are often not thought through (and often impossible to think through fully), asspulled (since relevant RL statistics may not even exist) and generally limiting (in a way any soup of explicit, pre-digested mechanics will be).

The benefit of using less abstract mechanics is that rather than a set of explicit, possibly inconsistent or nonsensical assumptions you will get a much more flexible set of implicit, sensible and internally consistent ones - at the expense of being computationally intensive.
You don't need to wonder how much does a visor in your helm compromise protection against arrows and asspull such data if you can check for collision with helmet. You don't need to wonder how to limit usefulness of a dagger against some giant creature if short length of such weapon won't permit it to hit a (coarse) vital organ hitbox inside the model.

Since most games use things like physics engine and complex collision for purely cosmetic purposes, why not use them for mechanics instead?
You see, I fully agree with you there. I love that shit! But I love that shit in my action games. The best action game ever would work in exactly the same way you described. Of course, that's not what I care to make right now, but it's something I've thought about and played around with before. I don't think the technology is there yet, though.

DraQ said:
World mechanics? Chargen? Item-maker? Freedom?
And in first person action games, only the last of those is actually appealing to me. That's the reason I love Daggerfall, incidentally.

DraQ said:
Which almost invariably ends up being "character #3 bumps into the backs of #1 and #2, then wanders off in search for adventure, failing to comprehend that the obstruction is momentary" whenever the combat is happening in the interiors.
Nope. I never tell my characters to walk into each other. Most of the time my ranged attackers stay back and my fighters surround targets or stand next to each other, waiting for the enemies to close in. I never do tell multiple characters to walk through doors at the same time at the start of combat. Usually I'd move one fighter next to the door and another through the door, pulling the enemies towards my party. Then I'd pull back through the door and line up both fighters to block the door while my ranged attackers shoot from afar.

DraQ said:
But then I don't get all the cool stuff.
And the black unexplored areas will taunt me in my dreams. D:

Putting in square miles of generic 'lolforest', then hiding a powerful item under a clump of pixel in the far corner of the map is just plain old trolling.
That's more your fault than the game's fault. You see, I usually break up wilderness exploration between the furthering of the main plot. I do high hedge and the forest south of it after getting to Beregost. Then I do all the south west zones (up to and including the Gnoll Stronghold) in one giant sweep after reaching Nashkel. Then, once I've exited the mines I usually do the south east. After that I do the east including Ulcaster, Firewine Bridge and Gullykin, heading north to do the bandit areas including the Bandit Camp. After that I tend to do the west sections along the coast including the Lighthouse zone, then follow it up by completing Cloakwood (and the mines) before heading north to Baldur's Gate. It's far less monotonous that way. Plus, the party vs party encounters in the wilderness areas tend to rock. Some of the best encounters ever.

DraQ said:
Well, it might have been worse, but it wasn't nearly as infuriating. Dumb AI is easier to stomach when it belongs to the enemy, even if it cripples combat gameplay all the same.
And when bad pathfinding doesn't affect me in combat, I don't give a fuck.

DraQ said:
But PS:T was a blast. Combat sucked, but not nearly hard enough to stop me, even if it was an order of magnitude more abundant.
Fair enough. It's just that no amount of reading will save too much terrible combat. Luckily Planescape: Torment had just under my threshold.

DraQ said:
Still on my 'to play list'. Actually I'm quite pumped due to many awesome things I've heard about the mechanics.

I'm relative newfag, TBH, I moved from c64 to PC about the time when Terra Nova hit the shelves. I've been mostly working my way backwards retroactively.
Well, it's generally considered to be a good all-rounder. Does that mean you'll hate it because it has no real stand-out aspects?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom