Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Matt Chat Thread

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
J_C said:
Renegen said:
Dark Matter said:
In the comments:

Seems like forever away [until Skyrim is released]. I have it pre-ordered. :)
Didn't he say that he dislikes the Elder Scrolls series in his recent podcast?

I like that he covers old-skool RPGs but I just don't find his videos all that entertaining.

He's just trying to get some money or fame from the people who love old-school cRPGs, that's it. He has enough knowledge to entertain a conversation on the best RPGs, but just like any other journalist or industry insider, he will say anything that will give him credibility and popularity. And people are falling for it, maybe because deep down inside they want re-affirmation of their choices. Personally, I just follow the videos where he interviews other people in a candit format. At least he can't screw up those.
The audio podcast I linked earlier proves, that in his Matt Chat videos he is very lighthearted, and avoids any real criticism. But in his audio podcasts (and articles) he rages about the shitty RPGs and dumbed down games. Maybe he doesn't want to piss off his Youtube viewers, I don't know.
Maybe he's just two-faced.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Excidium said:
J_C said:
Renegen said:
Dark Matter said:
In the comments:

Seems like forever away [until Skyrim is released]. I have it pre-ordered. :)
Didn't he say that he dislikes the Elder Scrolls series in his recent podcast?

I like that he covers old-skool RPGs but I just don't find his videos all that entertaining.

He's just trying to get some money or fame from the people who love old-school cRPGs, that's it. He has enough knowledge to entertain a conversation on the best RPGs, but just like any other journalist or industry insider, he will say anything that will give him credibility and popularity. And people are falling for it, maybe because deep down inside they want re-affirmation of their choices. Personally, I just follow the videos where he interviews other people in a candit format. At least he can't screw up those.
The audio podcast I linked earlier proves, that in his Matt Chat videos he is very lighthearted, and avoids any real criticism. But in his audio podcasts (and articles) he rages about the shitty RPGs and dumbed down games. Maybe he doesn't want to piss off his Youtube viewers, I don't know.
Maybe he's just two-faced.
That's possible. But that means he is a tru Codexer! :bro:

J_C said:
villain of the story said:
I don't understand why he's even doing this.
I assume he is not doing these videos for the hardcore RPG gamers and the Codexers, but to those, who might not be familiar with the games of the past. And for that purpose, these videos make a good job.

And as someone said before, the custom character generation would take a long time. This video was twice as long as the earlier videos already.

Also watching a video of someone else creating a character would be boring, especially for the viewers that are not veterans sliently laughing at the noobish choices.

>>he didn't pick high elf with critical weakness to paralysis

Girls.png

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Clockwork Knight said:
J_C said:
I assume he is not doing these videos for the hardcore RPG gamers and the Codexers, but to those, who might not be familiar with the games of the past. And for that purpose, these videos make a good job.

And as someone said before, the custom character generation would take a long time. This video was twice as long as the earlier videos already.

Also watching a video of someone else creating a character would be boring, especially for the viewers that are not veterans sliently laughing at the noobish choices.

Girls.png

If you pick magic immunity (and you should) you become immune to paralysis anyway, making the high elf redundant.

This guy really needs to learn to be concise with stuff. Every time I hear about him it can't hold my attention for more then 2 mins. Sure ADD consoletard whatever, he talks for ever about random shit and gets occupied on the most insignificant things. My day job is listening to people who love to hear themselves talk, don't care to spend my leisure time as well in that fashion.

Mastermind said:
Clockwork Knight said:
J_C said:

Girls.png

If you pick magic immunity (and you should) you become immune to paralysis anyway, making the high elf redundant.

I distinctly recall still getting paralyzed constantly with magic absorption and max willpower the one time I tried it. Besides, you don't even need the critical weakness to paralysis to have a .3x level modifier with max HP/lvl and full advantages.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Overweight Manatee said:
I distinctly recall still getting paralyzed constantly with magic absorption and max willpower the one time I tried it.

If you mean spell absorption, it's not the same thing as magic immunity. Spell absorption only absorbs spells, while magic immunity makes you immune to all magic effects (which includes paralyze).

Mastermind said:
Overweight Manatee said:
I distinctly recall still getting paralyzed constantly with magic absorption and max willpower the one time I tried it.

If you mean spell absorption, it's not the same thing as magic immunity. Spell absorption only absorbs spells, while magic immunity makes you immune to all magic effects (which includes paralyze).

Meh, didn't know that. Not that I needed to know how to make DF characters even more OP. Does it conflict with being able to become a vampire/werewolf though?

hakuroshi

Augur
Overweight Manatee said:
Mastermind said:
Overweight Manatee said:

Meh, didn't know that. Not that I needed to know how to make DF characters even more OP. Does it conflict with being able to become a vampire/werewolf though?

No. Resistance/immunity to disease might, but I never checked.

hakuroshi

Augur
Not to poison. Anyway, my last char with magic immunity got infected by first werewolf he met. He never got any ordinary disease though.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
hakuroshi said:
Not to poison. Anyway, my last char with magic immunity got infected by first werewolf he met. He never got any ordinary disease though.

I've heard that werewolf/vampire diseases ignore disease immunity, though I dunno if it's ever been confirmed. Pretty sure magic immunity doesn't make you immune to disease though, i grab it every time and distinctly remember getting diseased at least once.

MCA
Magic isn't an umbrella term in the Daggerfall. There are spell-based damage types: Fire, Frost, Magic, Shock, Poison. And the other, non-damage based types: Paralysis and Disease. Each of these have individual Resistance, Immunity, Low Tolerance and Criticial Weakness traits.

There's Spell Absorption but it only works against damage-based spells. You will still get paralysis or disease.

High Elves only have immunity to paralysis. Other than these, there is no "magic immunity".

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Matt used to be great, and he still is, during his webcam interviews.

However, like many great minds, he appears to be unstable, like during his Great Donation Meltdown, when he had some douchebag rant about random stream-of-consciousness crap in his videos, and then there was a video of Matt talking in high-pitched voices and inserting himself as an avatar into some old game...

I understand him, because he deserves a lot more recognition for his hard work, and I did donate during his meltdown, but in long-term that incident didn't do his image any favors.

Luzur

Good Sir
old point & click Sierra game dev is in the spotlight.

How did Josh Mandel transition from a life of theater, stage comedy, and advertising to become one of Sierra's star designers? In this first segment, Josh and I chat about his background and his thoughts on the transition from parser-based adventures to point-and-clicks.

http://youtu.be/XNYoOjQjsPw

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
People still don't have KC on ignore? I'm convinced he just spams posts to pad his count. His trolling isn't even thinly disguised. Anyway, Mandel did good work -- the unofficial third guy from Andromeda.

MMXI

Arcane
Matt's Podcast #5

In it he proposes a game. It's a first person shooter with a tactical/overhead mode you can switch to. It has romances in. It has a dancing QTE mini-game introduction that determines your character's statistics. Statistics are completely hidden and work purely behind the scenes. There is no inventory or character sheet as it breaks immersion. Instead of dialogue options the protagonist speaks automatically based on how you've played the game so far.

:retarded:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
MMXI said:
Matt's Podcast #5

In it he proposes a game. It's a first person shooter with a tactical/overhead mode you can switch to. It has romances in. It has a dancing QTE mini-game introduction that determines your character's statistics. Statistics are completely hidden and work purely behind the scenes. There is no inventory or character sheet as it breaks immersion. Instead of dialogue options the protagonist speaks automatically based on how you've played the game so far.

:retarded:
10/10 GOTY

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Hey, a game like that could still be a good game.

unsure about the FPS hybridism, though

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom