Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mechwarrior 5

Dumbed down?

• yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • poll is missing an option

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
RIP Mechwarrior.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Morgoth said:
Well would you really have expected a PC exclusive MW5? Nothing gets released these days as PC exlsuive, except Blizzard games maybe.
MW 4 was made in 2000. Mercenaries in 2002. 7 years of no MW because they are fucking idiots that want to release console crap that doesn't work with the genre even with all the dumbing down, instead of making a good pc-esclusive sim. A few million bucks of profit from a pc-exclusive game with a major fanbase following in 2005/6 with an arcadish spin-off for the consoles sound better to me than trying to strike a balance between controls and dumbing down for 7 years.
/nerd-rage

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Armored Core is great. Much better than MechWarrior series, for example. Not as good as Heavy Gear, but good enough. The latest installment, For Answer is the best in the series.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Armored Core is great. Much better than MechWarrior series, for example. Not as good as Heavy Gear, but good enough. The latest installment, For Answer is the best in the series.
I checked Wiki, and it says that For Answer is a sequel to 4. However, 4 was never published here, and I'm too lazy to bother with importing. Will I miss important plot details if I skip straight to For Answer?

Vaarna_Aarne

Hümmelgümpf said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I checked Wiki, and it says that For Answer is a sequel to 4. However, 4 was never published here, and I'm too lazy to bother with importing. Will I miss important plot details if I skip straight to For Answer?
No. The series doesn't have much of a continuity beyond the basic setting (nor was story put on a lot of emphasis on AC4), which is something of a post-apocalyptic setting with the usual mega-corporations in AC4 and For Answer.

JrK

Prophet
It would be nice if the entire environment would be as interactive as that building that gets destroyed, taking a mech with it. But consoles...

MetalCraze

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
You can't say that Armored Core is better than MechWarrior and then say that Heavy Gear is better than Armored Core. Your scale of crap games is upside-down. Unless you like japanese anime human-like robots.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Vaarna_Aarne said:
No. The series doesn't have much of a continuity beyond the basic setting (nor was story put on a lot of emphasis on AC4), which is something of a post-apocalyptic setting with the usual mega-corporations in AC4 and For Answer.
Thanks for the info. Now I know what to buy once I'm done with Disgaea 3 and Street Fighter IV.

Vaarna_Aarne

MetalCraze said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
You can't say that Armored Core is better than MechWarrior and then say that Heavy Gear is better than Armored Core. Your scale of crap games is upside-down. Unless you like japanese anime human-like robots.
I rather like mech games that involve actual skill beyond point n click gameplay that has the pace of a retarded sloth.

Zakhal

Liturgist
Vaarna_Aarne said:

Armored Core looks like a simple arcade game to me. Not exactly what I want from a mech game.

DraQ

Arcane
I may not be a fan of mech games, as I'm not much of a fan of giant mecha, but when playing a game casting me in the role of a pilot of such machine, I'd find it infinitely preferable and more fun for it to behave just like that - a huge, complex war-machine, rather than some sky high tin-can samurai.

karnot

Educated
huge, complex war-machine, rather than some sky high tin-can samurai.
On that note, FASA DID pick up most of their initial designs from various anime, so the samurai angle is somewhat unclear.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What can be more sky high tin-can samurai than LAMS (Land-Air-Mechs)? Rip-offs from Marcross.

phoenix_hawk_lam.gif

Vaarna_Aarne

karnot said:
On that note, FASA DID pick up most of their initial designs from various anime, so the samurai angle is somewhat unclear.
And their later designs were apparently drawn by a blind man's peg-leg. I still don't understand why they couldn't just have hired an actual artist to make redesigns.
Armored Core looks like a simple arcade game to me. Not exactly what I want from a mech game.
The trick is that the game involves quite a bit of skill and possesses a great deal of customization.
Does not compute.
The process of aiming and combat in MW games is definately lacking due to the almost constant maneuverability value of the different mechs, the poor match-up of speed vs firepower and the combination of slow pace and almost direct and 100% accurate firepower.

Not to mention the lack of various other levels of gameplay (such as stealth) that Heavy Gear 2, for example, has.

Zakhal

Liturgist
Vaarna_Aarne said:
The trick is that the game involves quite a bit of skill and possesses a great deal of customization.
Even games like Crash Bandicoot and Mario Bros can require skill and customization but still its not the kind of skill and customization Im looking for in a mech game.

Vaarna_Aarne

Zakhal said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Even games like Crash Bandicoot and Mario Bros can require skill and customization but still its not the kind of skill and customization Im looking for in a mech game.
I'd say the problem for MechWarrior is that it is more along the lines of "it is the machine that matters, not the pilot" rather than "it is the pilot that matters, not the machine."

And I think it's fair to point out that most Armored Core games have equal or more customization than MechWarrior games.

Zakhal

Liturgist
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Zakhal said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I'd say the problem for MechWarrior is that it is more along the lines of "it is the machine that matters, not the pilot" rather than "it is the pilot that matters, not the machine."
In ww2 airwar pilot skill mattered more than in modern air war. That still doesnt make all modern air war sims bad because you cant dogfight raptor to death with a mig21 using just pilot skill.

For me its important in mech games that machine matters also and lot. Especially how its built. Its not just pilot skill to run and jump around with his mech that wins the day.
Vaarna_Aarne said:
And I think it's fair to point out that most Armored Core games have equal or more customization than MechWarrior games.
No amount of customation can still fix the fact that its too arcade for my taste. For me the best mech game is more like falcon 4.0 with robots than quake (that was fast-paced) with jumpjets and suit customization.

I do wish however that I could like AC. Quite many games in that series. Lots of history. But its just not the type Im looking for.

MetalCraze

Arcane
karnot said:

FASA's westernized robots looked far more bearable than japanese human-like pretentious crap holding guns in their hands and jumping around like rabbits. Whereas FASA's huge slow mechs required some thought on how to not get raped in the middle of the battle, whereas japanese games with robots feel like you are playing a generic bunny-hopping shooter.

karnot

Educated
FASA's westernized robots looked far more bearable
Uh...they are the exact same design, where do you see the difference ? The only thing FASA added was "metal plating" textures, if even that.

Vaarna_Aarne

Zakhal said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Zakhal said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
In ww2 airwar pilot skill mattered more than in modern air war. That still doesnt make all modern air war sims bad because you cant dogfight raptor to death with a mig21 using just pilot skill.

For me its important in mech games that machine matters also and lot. Especially how its built. Its not just pilot skill to run and jump around with his mech that wins the day.
A perfectly reasonable viewpoint. I myself simply prefer the contest of piloting, with the machine only serving to tip the balance of an even match.
Zakhal said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
No amount of customation can still fix the fact that its too arcade for my taste. For me the best mech game is more like falcon 4.0 with robots than quake (that was fast-paced) with jumpjets and suit customization.

I do wish however that I could like AC. Quite many games in that series. Lots of history. But its just not the type Im looking for.
Well, thus far the closest I've come to being satisfied by the mech customization was in Heavy Gear 2, with the large array of features and tweaking available. I really wish there'd be a graphical makeover, so camouflage and radar stealth would combine for deadly snipers.

MetalCraze

Arcane
karnot said:
FASA's westernized robots looked far more bearable
Uh...they are the exact same design, where do you see the difference ? The only thing FASA added was "metal plating" textures, if even that.

Except they have normal guns and not a huge SMG held in their huge hands. They don't look like people most of the time, some of them even don't have hands. Also they look bulky in contrast to japanese ghey robots on a diet.

In other words:
Normal mech
madcat.jpg

Jap gayness
51toFh3WraL._SS500_.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom