Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Memories of Oblivion

Arcanoix

Scholar
Tycn said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL8pyOP0VQI
NONE OF THIS IS SCRIPTED

This is the video that convinced me to buy the game and the ($34.99) guide. Having my new (at the time) job I ran out and paid cash. Later that week I would search Google for "Oblivion sucks" and find the Codex, the only good thing to come out of that purchase. To this day I feel ashamed for having contributed to Bethesda buying the intellectual property rights of the Fallout franchise.

4-5 years ago it was horse armor in Oblivion, today it's content that was cut from the finished version of the game so that publishers (the ones who actually call the shots) can make a quick buck.

:pete:

Fuck you Bethesda for taking advantage of me when I was young and stupid. (for the 4chan wannabe /b/ tards - yeah yeah, you see what I did there)

Luzur

Good Sir
comments must be posted by Codexers.

I would love to have Todd Howard sitting in a room doing this demo while I come in with an axe and blood all over me screaming
"It's about time, I HAD SOME FUN!"
"NOW YOU DIE!"
Todd would panic and I would chase him around the studio shouting, "FALL BEFORE ME, BRETON!"
"YOU N'WAH!"
"This is the part... WHERE YOU FALL DOWN AND BLEED TO DEATH!",
before chopping him to the floor.
I'll reach down and check him,
"Body's still warm... there's a killer about.",
before leaving.
Take that, damn liar.

So yeah, too much spoken dialog with the joke persuading...
PLAYER : How do you call a wood elf that does not steal nor lie ? A dead wood elf !
Estelle Renoire : That's a good one. An orc in a party dress, I love it !
PLAYER : ... Are you even listening to me ?

"NPCs have dynamic conversations based on your actions and what's going on in the world."

- Hello.
- I hate you.
- I saw a mudcrab the other day. Horrible little creatures.
- That's great news !
- Good bye.
- How are you ?

>_> How dynamic, indeed...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jasede said:
Think of the original game as a human body; now think of a mod as either a replacement of one of its parts, or expansion of it. Maybe now you can see that unless the mod (part) is 99.9% like the original, there will be a disparity, an uncanny sense of incongruency.

The good mods work like the augs in Deus Ex, though.

Luzur said:
"NPCs have dynamic conversations based on your actions and what's going on in the world."

- Hello.
- I hate you.
- That's great news !
- Good bye.
- How are you ?

they serve mostly as hint givers

"I heard the dark Brotherhood recruits you if you kill someone"

"I heard [some high elf woman] likes jumping off the cathedral's roof to train her acrobatic abilities"

"[breton] is the best there is when it comes to unlocking things"

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Clockwork Knight said:
Luzur said:

- Hello.
- I hate you.
- That's great news !
- Good bye.
- How are you ?

they serve mostly as hint givers

"I heard the dark Brotherhood recruits you if you kill someone"

"I heard [some high elf woman] likes jumping off the cathedral's roof to train her acrobatic abilities"

"[breton] is the best there is when it comes to unlocking things"

But that's a pretty stupid way of hint-giving. In Morrowind you could pick dialogue topics like that and then they'd say "If you want to learn long blade skill, go to the guy in house #5."
NPCs randomly talking about mudcrabs, lockpick teachers and other things is pretty stupid. Also, everyone repeats the same rumor 500 times even though the guy he's talking to has already heard it from 5 other people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom