Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Memory Lane - Which were your first games on the PC?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doom. My bro borrowed a 386 from school, so we went and bought a shareware copy of Doom in a video rental store. It was a cool sunny day, everyone was in a good mood, and there was excitement in the air. We played Doom all day, watching day turn into night outside. Game was amazing and I remember me and my brother taking long pauses just to look out over the gray desolate landscape of Phobos. Ah, sweet memories. I miss that time.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
just remembered that this was one of the first games i actually played on the old family windows 98 machine:

322138-hard-truck-road-to-victory-windows-back-cover.jpg

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Impressions Software's Blue and the Gray (1993). Got my first 386 built so that I could finally become the grognerd I always dreamed of being. There's nothing like impressing your friends with your new computer and having it filled with dorky wargames that none of them wanted to play.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm bending the rules a bit, since C64 was my first computer. I don't remember what was my very first game, but these were some of my first ones.

IK+
is still one of the best fighting games of all time. A ton of moves, very responsive controls, fun to play with 2 players. Knocking two enemies out simultaneously with a Jump Split Kick is so damn satisfying.

Bard's Tale 3
is in hindsight a garbage game, but it still introduced me to important roleplaying concepts like having to illuminate dark dungeons by using a torch or a spell. This game absolutely blew my young mind back in the early 90s.

Last edited:

soulburner

Cipher
Wow, I just found it. This was one of the game demos I launched on the first day of owning my PC -- Hellbender:

kangaxx

Arbiter
First PC games:
- Sim City
- Krynn games (Goldbox)
- A fiendishly difficult top down rogue-like called Reargard (https://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19740)
- Edit: how could I forget Miner VGA?!

Going even further back to my old man's VAXMate (he got it free from working at DEC):
- Chopper Commando, must have spent 100 hours on that game
- Some top down racing game with level editor included (think it was called "Race")

First games on any platform:
- Hero (Atari 2600)
- Breakout (Atari 2600)
- Some other Atari games my dad had that I can't remember

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom