Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I see Kojima is still making inane movies that run in realtime - and probably cost more to make than a real moveehh.
Still miles ahead of stuff like Bioshock or Call of Duty games, at least Kojima tries something different.

First of all, putting Bioshock and CoD into the same context is really scratching close to heresy.

Secondly, what exactly is Kojima doing new? Another sequel?
Making an open world game in a series which was linear most of the time. Sure, you had some freedom in every game, but this time they want it to be really open world. He also introduces a lot of new gameplay elements in every game, unlike Bioshock and CoD.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I checked out this series due to hype and bailed shortly after the 10th or so time I had to watch more cutscene than I had just played the game. I remember a particularly horrible one where my character mostly talked about love and pianos or some shit with a girl on the secret spy ear-phone.

Liking games that are actually movies or novels is one thing, but liking games that are actually BAD movies or novels is even worse.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I checked out this series due to hype and bailed shortly after the 10th or so time I had to watch more cutscene than I had just played the game. I remember a particularly horrible one where my character mostly talked about love and pianos or some shit with a girl on the secret spy ear-phone.
That's the charm of the series. :smug:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

I think Gun of Patriots teached many gamers how to cook eggs decently :)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Besides always adding some new gameplay stuff, the story here seems interesting by itself in this one. Playing as a anputee just awakened from a 9 year coma trying to escape while not even being able to walk? That's cool man, if they are gonna go for "cinematic games", at least make it something besides "shoot people".

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Besides always adding some new gameplay stuff, the story here seems interesting by itself in this one. Playing as a anputee just awakened from a 9 year coma trying to escape while not even being able to walk? That's cool man, if they are gonna go for "cinematic games", at least make it something besides "shoot people".

Agreed. When it comes to cinematics, Kojima is king. I still want to see more about that supposed open-world gameplay though.

Ermm

Erudite
It's not Snake if it's not Hayter.

Well, at least they didn't get another Bale Batman imitator, and actually someone who sounds like a badass.

And yes, I've seen enough of 24 to say with 99% certainty that it is indeed Jack Bauer.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I've only played MGS1 and MGS2 but at least MGS 1 kept some sanity in cutscenes and plot, MGS2 already went utterly overboard with the plot and cutscenes, even though I haven't played later games I can pretty much imagine how ridiculous the plots in those must be.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Doubtful, Konami just likes their multiplats on consoles only. Maybe if Castlevania reach Steam things change but i doubt it.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Actually the whole amputee thing is something that's causing a lot of question marks for me. Since if it takes place around Peace Walker and the other Big Boss games, there's something that needs to be remembered: Big Boss had both his hands by 21st century. Of course, it's not like that's even an obstacle for a series like MGS.

One thing to consider besides the whole amputee thing is that Kojima talked about being a bit more risque this time around with the plot. So what next, will Snake buttfuck a little boy or something? Incest and all that has already been done in this series.

I've only played MGS1 and MGS2 but at least MGS 1 kept some sanity in cutscenes and plot, MGS2 already went utterly overboard with the plot and cutscenes, even though I haven't played later games I can pretty much imagine how ridiculous the plots in those must be.
Nah, MGS2 is the craziest one. Also probably the one that took the most risks in the series, what with the way you were NOT Solid Snake after all in the real game being a major sudden curveball and how the story did get pretty damn meta by the end of it. Pretty much every really crazy thing in MGS4 is there to explain something that happened in MGS2.

Machocruz

Arcane
Take away the cutscenes and narrative inanity from MGS4, and you still have a game, a relatively challenging one too. Take those things away from your typical, modern AAA sinematic game, and you have an empty disc.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's the charm of the series. :smug:
I had more fun calling Paramedic after each new animal I found than I have with most games in their entirety.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Actually the whole amputee thing is something that's causing a lot of question marks for me. Since if it takes place around Peace Walker and the other Big Boss games, there's something that needs to be remembered: Big Boss had both his hands by 21st century. Of course, it's not like that's even an obstacle for a series like MGS.
Actually we never saw if Big Boss in the later MGS games has his original hands or just an implant, which looks real.

Yep, I've just watched the MGS4 ending video, and Big Boss wears a leather glove. He might have an implanted hand.

Machocruz

Arcane
They really need to bring back some of 3's systems, and even juice them up. I love wildlife and survivalist shit.

aris

Arcane
First one to make the obvious Phantom Penis joke unlocks an achievement.
Phantom pain in the solid snake
Kool-AidMan.jpeg

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Upon viewing the trailer a second time I realized that it was shown from a FPP. Who the person viewing the events are is a mystery. The part in the hospital where Miller asks about Big Boss: "how's he doing?", and the doctor answers that he's stable but in a coma. Then Miller asks: "what about him", while looking at you. Is this important? Or is this just Kojima fucking with us as usual? None of us will know until Kojima wishes otherwise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom