Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Metal Slug Tactics Still Kickin' (Ass) After All These Years

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Leikir Studio; Metal Slug Tactics

A brand spanking new trailer has dropped for Metal Slug Tactics, a game I didn't know I needed in my life until 30 seconds ago. It's been in development for quite a while, but they're resetting a new release date for Fall 2024 now. It's being developed by Leikir Studio and pretty much nails the nostalgia part of my neanderthal brain in ways I never thought possible. So, here's the important stuff:

Metal Slug Tactics offers a fresh perspective on the iconic battles of the METAL SLUG series. Lead your squad to victory through strategic guile and superior firepower in a perfect blend of classic action and tactical depth. Unleash powerful special attacks and shape the outcome of each encounter!

Accumulate experience after each battle to unlock new weapons or bonus perks to upgrade your team's firepower and tactical skills.

I'm pretty sure I still have the first game with box for the Sega Saturn in a box in the garage. Boy, does that bring back memories. I've also had a soft spot for these grid based tactical CRPGs, so this has me slightly pumped. And with huge pixel explosions? Oh yeah! You can wishlist it on their Steam page.

Thanks, Ghulgothas!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Is it the same protagonist as the previous games, Solid Slug? I hope we don't get that gay Raiden Sluggot...

Zanzoken

Arcane
Looks like a solid addition to the franchise. Always thought the pixel art and animations for Metal Slug were elite, and it appears they captured that same feel here.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Always thought the pixel art and animations for Metal Slug were elite, and it appears they captured that same feel here.
The destructible terrain at the end of the reveal trailer impressed the heck out of me:

https://youtu.be/DqF0KLsaf6U?t=81

I also noticed damage decals on buildings and the like, so I'm wondering exactly how much of the terrain is destructible.

How the hell is this front page news
Let's see. PC game? Yeah. RPG? Yeah. Brand new info and trailer? Yeah.

Fuck, I have no idea why this would be in the news section.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Looks pretty as hell but I'm skeptical the gameplay will have a lot of depth when the characters have like 10 hp.

Trash Player

Augur
Been watching for a while. A competently made Into-the-Breach like is the most I expected. Wouldn't mind d1p if the price is right.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Tags: Leikir Studio; Metal Slug Tactics

A brand spanking new trailer has dropped for Metal Slug Tactics, a game I didn't know I needed in my life until 30 seconds ago. It's been in development for quite a while, but they're resetting a new release date for Fall 2024 now. It's being developed by Leikir Studio and pretty much nails the nostalgia part of my neanderthal brain in ways I never thought possible. So, here's the important stuff:

Metal Slug Tactics offers a fresh perspective on the iconic battles of the METAL SLUG series. Lead your squad to victory through strategic guile and superior firepower in a perfect blend of classic action and tactical depth. Unleash powerful special attacks and shape the outcome of each encounter!
Accumulate experience after each battle to unlock new weapons or bonus perks to upgrade your team's firepower and tactical skills.
I'm pretty sure I still have the first game with box for the Sega Saturn in a box in the garage. Boy, does that bring back memories. I've also had a soft spot for these grid based tactical CRPGs, so this has me slightly pumped. And with huge pixel explosions? Oh yeah! You can wishlist it on their Steam page.

Thanks, Ghulgothas!

The title should read Metal Slug Still Kicking Ass not Metal Slug Tactics Still Kicking Ass. It makes it sounds like it was previously released.

thacolives

Barely Literate
The last new Metal Slug thing I saw was that atrocious mobile idle game. This is at least an actual game so that's nice. I agree with Van-d-all though and fear it might just be a puzzle game in disguise vs an actual tactics game.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The last new Metal Slug thing I saw was that atrocious mobile idle game.
I was shocked to see how many mobile Metal Slug games there were. Not remakes or ports, actual Metal Slug mobile games. They've made five Android/IOS games since 2009, starting with Metal Slug Touch. The last two were published in the Fall of 2021.
it might just be a puzzle game in disguise vs an actual tactics game.
It looks more like a Tactics Ogre/Final Fantasy Tactics style game to me. Who knows, though. I'll admit that 10HP thing is a little odd. There's a part of it where it shows the crew leveling up, but every battle shows 10HP. The experience to level is always 15XP in everything in that video as well.

sser

Arcane
Developer
HP values could be anything when you don't know the damage output/pacing. Into the Breach has low HP values, but it's a deterministic game with showcased enemy attack patterns. My first guess was that your bros probably had multiple lives, and maybe even replenishable ones with the "cavemen" on the field.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
HP values could be anything when you don't know the damage output/pacing.
They could be, and we also don't know what "level" the units are either. One of the things is that since there's a lot of this style game made by Japanese developers for consoles, we're used to seeing their concept of hit points in these games which are three to four digit numbers. We've seen what the level up notification looks like to the player, so I would assume those hit points go up. It would be odd if they didn't.

Modron

Arcane
Seen a fair number of strategy games with level ups just being ability gains and not stats. Probably easier to balance but tends to turn them into puzzles with a correct way to things like Into the Breach.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom