Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft Flight Simulator

Quilty

Magister
Played around with it for a bit with the gamepass version. It's nice. I don't think I will be playing it though, I love (semi)simulators but I have to have direction, it can be mundane as shit as in Euro Truck Simulator or Elite Dangerous. Give me goals and the tiniest bits of progression and I can sink hundreds of hours into it.

My city looks like absolute garbage, don't even have the cathedral.

Just to let you know that it was incorrect when I said MSFS was currently unsupported by FSEconomy: I tried it out using the link Burning Bridges provided and it works perfectly. Did a test run from one small Alaskan airstrip to another and it logged my time, added my profits, etc. In case you're unfamiliar with FSEconomy, it's basically an unofficial online environment that adds some of the economic framework of sims like European Truck Simulator. It's a bit clunky both to set up and use (although I do like how its quirks remind me of websites circa 1999), but once you get used to it it's perfectly serviceable.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Tried to install the game for Xbox game pass.

Game starts asking for 120 GB.
I free 135 gb on my SSD.
I relaunch the Xbox app. It now asks for 150 Gb.
Fuck you, installing on HDD.
Five minutes later, the game has downloaded 1GB. The progress bar says it is 30 percent complete.
One minute later the launcher has finished the download
Launching the game results in a file not found error
Tried to reinstall a couple of times, same issue.

10 minutes later Windows wants to update.

After 3 reboots I relaunch the Xbox app.

I click install. It freezes for a while and then say "ERROR 0% CLICK FOR DETAILS_

I click for details.

"An unknown error has occured. We suggest waiting for a while or maybe trying now because maybe it is working now."

This is an actual error message.

I am now downloading the pirate version.
Microsoft Download Simulator

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Tried to install the game for Xbox game pass.

Five minutes later, the game has downloaded 1GB. The progress bar says it is 30 percent complete.
Microsoft Download Simulator

That happened to me aswell but reinstalling the game fixed it for me. Although, the download takes forever because instead of downloading the whole thing first and then installing it, it downloads in small packages and extracts it. Even with a 970 EVO it's slow as fuck.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
59,99 USD on 'merican steam and 69,99 € on euro-steam, wat? When did this become a thing?
Since last year. It was Gears 5 or Tactics that had this pricing.
Think its Microsoft so far that upped these prices. Ubi, EA etc are still at 59.

So far my kid rates it : graphics 10/10, physics 10/10 and airplanes 6/10 mostly cause cockpits are underdeveloped, A320 got like 20% interactibility. Alot of buttons cant be used and screens are not accurate.

Runs smooth at 1080p on high settings, no hitches or tearing on haswell i7 and 1070ti.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
59,99 USD on 'merican steam and 69,99 € on euro-steam, wat? When did this become a thing?

US$ EURO GBP = 1:1

It's an old trick. If the dollar is higher I guarantee you they will painstakingly calculate the rate down to the last penny, but as long it's not; its a convenient 1:1

I'm not complaining though. It must espeially suck to the Brits where the Deluxe version effectively costs 145$

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I know it's an old trick, '1 euro = 1 gbp = 1 dollar.' But that's not what they're doing here. This is '1 dollar = 1 pound = 1.16 euro.' Messed up.

I wasn't gonna buy it anyway, not my scene, just caught the price tag on Steam and at first thought that they just jacked up the price to '69,99' across the board. Considering it's been talked about again recently. But yeah, then I saw it was still good ol' '59,99' in both the US and Great Britain.

It does seem though that at least the 'Deluxe' and 'Premium Deluxe' bundles are '89,99' and '119,99' in all three territories.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I know it's an old trick, '1 euro = 1 gbp = 1 dollar.' But that's not what they're doing here. This is '1 dollar = 1 pound = 1.16 euro.' Messed up.

GBP and Euro cost the same if you consider that 1 Pound is 1.11 Euro. They just rounded to full 10s

Standard: £59.99 €69.99
Deluxe: £79.99 €89.99
Premium Deluxe: £109.99 €119.99

USA gets a permanent 15% discount because 'murica first. They want people to stay home and play flight sims, that's also why they released prematurely

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I managed to install it.
The unofficial version, which does the online texture streaming nonetheless.

I flew around a bit.

It's beautiful.
It's really beautiful.
It's, no contest, a technological achievement.

I'm already bored.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
6clLbcc.png

This is what it looks like completely offline. Looks pretty good.
*Somewhere in Africa, that's all I know, was a random pick.

Edit: South America turns out.

Last edited:

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
eqbNGpR.png

R4xbPvr.png

That is actually an easy pick for testing offline mode.
You are right. Anyway, here is Pune from India. My system can't handle Ultra settings or large draw distances, but even then general detail is still exceptional. This is still completely offline with no network interaction.
I think the online-offline difference is that the buildings are generic and vegetation in urban areas isn't spawned properly.

Not actually played FS2020 but from extensively watching all the video footage, it appears to be a commendable attempt by MS at representing the earth - to which I comment; simply cannot be done that well, currently.
For this reason I'll stick to the earlier versions until the technology is up to scratch.
microsoft-flight-simulator-98_3.jpg

Mortmal

Arcane
I managed to install it.
The unofficial version, which does the online texture streaming nonetheless.

I flew around a bit.

It's beautiful.
It's really beautiful.
It's, no contest, a technological achievement.

I'm already bored.
After playing with the tax office lamborghini and the private jet , after testing the real thing of course a simple simulator bores you.

Tiger

Learned
Not actually played FS2020 but from extensively watching all the video footage, it appears to be a commendable attempt by MS at representing the earth - to which I comment; simply cannot be done that well, currently.
For this reason I'll stick to the earlier versions until the technology is up to scratch.
microsoft-flight-simulator-98_3.jpg

Great. That looks like shit.

What made these simulations/games so great is that you had to use your imagination. Something lacking in today's games where you just hit 'x' to complete the game, albeit whist being bombarded with "mega realistic" graphics.
I remember I started on on FS4 on a 80286, the thrill of starting it up for the first time has been unmatched since.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was watching a short stream about this game, and I noticed that when you crash the plane you can't see it blowing up or falling apart, you just get a black screen with a box that says "you caused critical damage to your plane". Even if you overstress the plane, you get this. This is so lame in my opinion, I want to watch the great ball of fire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom