Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
zlawqb.jpg

Better?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Is the UI ergonomic, fast and responsive?
Can every command be set on a key?
Is the menu layout self-explanatory and intuitive?
And can we write macroses for our razor mouses?

It's not a MMO, huge part of old RPG's charm comes from their organic looking UI's. Fallout, BG, Lands of Lore, M&M/HoMM with their little cute jewels and pixels, that what people remember, not how responsive it is.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Really good old charming crpgs had no mouse interface and every command was on a key - I like it still that way, young boy.

Alex

Arcane

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
The early Wizardy and Apshai games are good to control with keyboard only.

I still like the key-only control of Gothic 1.

Stabwound

Arcane
Yeah, who in the world played Gothic with just the keyboard? I think you're remembering incorrectly.

DoddTheSlayer

Educated
Lol. Everyone keeps talking about Ubisofts credentials for making an RPG when it's not even them making it but Limbic.

So.....does anyone have anything to say about the credentials of those that are actually making the game.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Sorting through blueberries and cakes with arrows keys was ergonomic and responsive? :lol: Damn make up your mind man, first you say it's important, then that you'd prefer WASD controls, and I did't even care for that to begin with, I just want a UI which looks like a part of world I'm in playing with a lot of items draggin/examining/combining
Cause that was fun, and 40x40 WoW icons are not fun, and not creative a bit

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
40x40 WoW icons are not fun, and not creative a bit

That's the only thing about the new UI for this game that I don't particularly care for. I don't want a six-foot-long sword sharing the same icon space as a potion of light healing. But I could live with it I guess.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Gothic: mouse just for looking - everything else with WSADQE+SPACE+TAB+SHIFT
Why do you make the game harder to control for yourself HiddenX? Are you a masochist?

Sorting through blueberries and cakes with arrows keys was ergonomic and responsive? :lol: Damn make up your mind man, first you say it's important, then that you'd prefer WASD controls, and I did't even care for that to begin with, I just want a UI which looks like a part of world I'm in playing with a lot of items draggin/examining/combining
Cause that was fun, and 40x40 WoW icons are not fun, and not creative a bit

Piranha Bites developed Gothic 1 without mouse control in mind - it is the way Gothic is meant to be played -> just for info.
You need a bit intelligence for learning the control scheme, but then it is much better than the mouse controls.

Alchemist

Arcane
Generally the UI looks decent but I'm another who wishes they'd bring back the paper-doll + variable grid + large items approach of M&M VI. The ongoing trend of representing inventory items as a bunch of tiny square icons has never jived for me - I always saw it as a step backwards. This is especially important in a blobber game where you don't normally get to see the PCs and their equipped items during gameplay.

Luzur

Good Sir
Generally the UI looks decent but I'm another who wishes they'd bring back the paper-doll + variable grid + large items approach of M&M VI. The ongoing trend of representing inventory items as a bunch of tiny square icons has never jived for me - I always saw it as a step backwards. This is especially important in a blobber game where you don't normally get to see the PCs and their equipped items during gameplay.

well, i guess they went for the old MM3-5 style of inventory.

Alchemist

Arcane
well, i guess they went for the old MM3-5 style of inventory.

MM3-5 showed items as a list though right? I'd actually prefer that rather than the square icon approach. At least then I can see what's what at a quick glance.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
huge part of old RPG's charm comes from their organic looking UI's. Fallout, BG, Lands of Lore, M&M/HoMM with their little cute jewels and pixels, that what people remember, not how responsive it is.

This is a fair point (and one of the huge letdowns of The Witcher 2 when compared to The Witcher, to name just one example). But, as has been pointed out, the Fallout UI is shit. I'll grant you the rest though.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
UI design questions that really matter:

Is the UI ergonomic, fast and responsive?
Can every command be set on a key?
Is the menu layout self-explanatory and intuitive?
ui aesthetics are important, especially in a series that used animated pixelart that served as indicators as part of its ui. one of the reasons why mm6 is shit to anyone who started with the first 5 games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom