Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Might & Magic X Update: Q&A #2

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
but ruin any possibility for similar types of games to be made.
Woot? If the game will be decent, even if falls short of the classic MMs, but will be successfull, it will increase the possibility for similar types of games. Also, when you say that the party, the world, the UI and the skills are fucked, you mean that it is not a perfect complex MM, so this means it is fucked. But in reality, it is still a decent world an system.

Also, as Stabwound said, you are jumping to conclusions.

Zeriel

Arcane
Outside of being a TB blobber with decent Gfx,

What else needs to be said, really? This already makes it better, feature-set wise, than Project Eternity.

I guess the reason I don't get the hate spitefest hardon the Codex has for this game is that we didn't ask for this. There was no Might & Magic sequel planned. It was just Heroes of Shit, forever, and forever. Then these guys come out of nowhere, it's not realtime, it's not an FPS, and we're shitting down their throat? I don't know, man, I really don't.

Luzur

Good Sir
Creative designer Julien Pirou is apparently a huge classic Might & Magic fan.

Julien Pirou, one of the guys in the team is a familar name. And indeed, he is well known in the french retrogaming community for doing some TV shows about old games, debunking some myths about that. His show is surprisingly called "Retro & Magic". That's at least one guy you can trust.

He is a big fan of M&M indeed and a fan of pen & paper. He even runs (or has run) a small show about p&p on a cable channel dedicated to video games called Nolife. He worked on HoM&M VI though, he got recruited because of a mod he made on the 5th.

well he has posted his own MM Collection, on Ubi's page:

2013.01.25_Tridion_MMH6_body_Best%20Collectiontcm2179250.png

http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/heroes-6/en-gb/news/details.aspx?c=tcm:21-79181&ct=tcm:6-231-32

he got those hard to find books, but for me it is kinda hard to be impressed by it.

Stabwound

Arcane
I realize the dev team showing their M&M cred is an attempt to seem like they know what they're doing, but it comes across a little try-hard to me. Especially the woman that had just a few random Heroes games.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I mean the removal of non-combat skills, not going to the training center to level up, etc. It doesn't bother me that much but I don't understand why they feel the need to change it.

What specific non combat skills were useful in the M&M series (that were actually useful or unique in a playthough)?

What specifically is wrong with not going to a trainer when you have enough experience to level up?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
What specific non combat skills were useful in the M&M series (that were actually useful or unique in a playthough)?
Perception could be useful for some puzzles. In MM8 there was one specific puzzle which was tough to figure out without perception (but not impossible). I think they could include perception as a sort of an optional "helping hand" thing like it used to be.

What specifically is wrong with not going to a trainer when you have enough experience to level up?

Nothing, but I like it because it adds a natural pace to the gameplay that other RPG series don't have. I found it fun to see how far I could get before running into monsters that were too powerful for me, going back to the training center and leveling up a few times, and then coming back and annihilating them. In MM6 especially it also balanced the game's economy because towards the end of the game it was difficult to have enough money to level up. I don't think it will make the game worse but I still wish they would include it out of tradition's sake. That's why I said the streamlining was needless, there was nothing wrong with the old training system.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I mean the removal of non-combat skills, not going to the training center to level up, etc. It doesn't bother me that much but I don't understand why they feel the need to change it.

1)
Alchemy - crafting potions and experimenting was fun.
In the old games there were skills like mountaineering and path finding which you had to discover and learn , and yes I saw what infinitron linked and I still don't think we will have such skills in the game ( judging by the link alone )

2)
It was THE gold sink of the game, and made you think twice before buying crappy spells or such.
And I guess some people don't want to level up, I remember people trying to see how far they would go in mm6 without leveling up at all - they just farmed horseshoes for skills. Anyways it makes the game more difficult in a good way (not to auto-level )

Zeriel

Arcane
No training was one of my biggest disappointments with this. Also not happy with the stripping of non-combat skills. Lots of things I wish they'd do different...

But at the end of the day I'm still surprised that a new Might & Magic is being made, and even more surprised it's a turnbased blobber.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
And I guess some people don't want to level up, I remember people trying to see how far they would go in mm6 without leveling up at all
Actually they went all the way and finished the game with the whole party at level 1. It's like the full pacifist path in Fallout - it's not the "natural" way to play the game, and it's not something that makes or breaks the game, or even that most people will see, and it requires immense meta-knowledge, but it IS fun and challenging to try, and I think it speaks of the system's flexibility and depth that such out-of-the-box approaches can still work and yield a victory screen.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
LeStryfe79, for fucks sake, babysteps man. Babysteps. You're talking about a lead, AAA publisher coming out of its shell for the first time in, like, ever, to undertake a (in their eyes) risk-filled venture to capitalize on the demand for oldschool games. These guys aren't financing this because they love Might & Magic, they're doing it to test the waters. The team is working on a limited budget and the "streamlining" (i.e. removal of features) allow them to expand audience and reduce feature-creep.

Sad fact for someone who wants a full-fledged Might & Magic? Sure, I guess. Interesting incline for an industry that hasn't even LOOKED in the direction of open world exploration and turn-based combat? You're damned fucking right.

Two years ago you would have laughed in my face if I claimed Ubisoft would produce a halfway popamole, halfway decent M&MX. You would have told me the chance was greater for Might & Magic: The Cover-based Shooter. Now you're grumpy because the game isn't turn-based and exploration-focused enough? I'm sorry man, I'm too busy being satisfied that my interests are even noticed again to be pissed at the small bumps along the road to salvation :P

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
:eek:

So Atari didn't get the rights to D&D until after RoMD?

Actually... that makes sense :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

No, Atari (or maybe Interplay) had the rights then, but Ubisoft did too, somehow. Probably had something to do with them buying SSI's IPs.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd hit it, but only for $10 or less. Should come up in a sale within a few months of release. I still think it's a cheap whore pretending to be a princess, but after I get desperate drunk enough, I'm sure I'll wake up hungover with the shame of MMX in my Steam library.

:martini:

Zeriel

Arcane
D&D's like a whore being passed around in a backstreet alleyway, apparently. Watch out, Ms. Dee, Trent Oster's about to teabag you!

Luzur

Good Sir

No, Atari (or maybe Interplay) had the rights then, but Ubisoft did too, somehow. Probably had something to do with them buying SSI's IPs.

well i found this while researching the Atari-Ubisoft thing:

The D&D IP is owned by Hasbro, the parent company of WotC.

Atari, the publisher of NWN 1 and NWN 2, purchased Cryptic Studios in 2008. Cyptic is the developer of City Of Heroes, Champions Online, Star Trek Online and the soon-to-be-released Neverwinter Online. Hasbro sued Atari over the ability to use the D&D IP in 2009. Hasbro essentially won the law suit.

Cryptic was purchased by Perfect World in 2011. Perfect World is licensing the D&D IP from Hasbro. Ubisoft would need to have a license from Hasbro in order to release any game with D&D content in it. Activision, Blizzard, and Massive are divisions of Ubisoft.

Ubisoft owns the source code for the Gold Box games, presumably. But Hasbro has a licensing agreement for D&D video games with Perfect World, a rival of Ubisoft. Separating the Gold Box engine from its D&D content would be close to impossible to do.

In other words, it's a legal mess.

its about the Gold Box engine but it kinda shows the whole deal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom