Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic MM6 or MM7?

miles teg

Scholar
I'd like to buy and play one of these two, which one would you suggest? A quick search showed that vii is the one with more refined gameplay, but somehow MM6 receives more love.
One thing is that while I enjoy dungeon crawlers, I don't like huge dungeons or frustrating difficulty (one reason I'm not asking about Wizardry) and it seems MM7 is more polished in this regard.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd like to buy and play one of these two, which one would you suggest? A quick search showed that vii is the one with more refined gameplay, but somehow MM6 receives more love.
One thing is that while I enjoy dungeon crawlers, I don't like huge dungeons or frustrating difficulty (one reason I'm not asking about Wizardry) and it seems MM7 is more polished in this regard.
As you said, VII has more refined gameplay, but the dungeon design of VI is simply amazing. Play VI first, and later you can buy and play VII if you want. It's not that VII is bad or anything, but people usually like its area design a bit less.

m_s0

Arcane
I don't like huge dungeons
Based on this statement alone: VII.

The dungeon design in VI is infinitely better, though, so I'd hate to recommend VII over VI just because of that. I'd say get VI, take notes (or use walkthroughs for trainers and all that) and treat Castle Darkmoor as a rite of passage. It is the better game, even if it's a bit rough around the edges. VI isn't nearly as hard as Wizardry anyway - you should be fine.

kmonster

Augur
Take a look at the screenshots, which graphic style you prefer more. Both games are playable quite well.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
M&M VI also has a world which feels far more believable and connected than M&M VII where it really feels you are traversing maps without any relation to each other. M&M VII has the amazing card game Arcomage tho :P

tindrli

Arcane

Play both... VI and than VII

Sizzle

Arcane
If at all possible - play both, starting with VI.

M&M VI has amazing dungeons and really nice paperdoll art and portraits. M&M VII has a better character system, Arcomage and a bit of nonlinearity.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I'd say VI definitely, but I might be biased because I think I'm one of the few people on this earth who didn't really like MM7 (while lubbing both 6 and 8)

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't mind huge dungeons but 6's eventually wore me out so I never finished it.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
MM6 comes with all the previous Might and Magic games on GOG for 10 bucks. Go with the bundle.

A user named cat

As someone who recently played through both for the first time; VII sucks big sweaty donkey chongas in comparison to VI. There's nothing more refined about it except for being able to map controls in the menu. The maps are ten times worse, dungeons are basically non-existant and all the skill limitations just make character builds a chore. The added "grandmaster" skill aspect was utterly pointless. I snored through the last chunk of the game and will never touch it again. Do yourself a favor and play VI, replay it again afterwards if need be but skip VII and especially VIII altogether. They're such shit in comparison.

catfood

AGAIN
If you do play 7 make sure to listen to this one golden advice:

DO NOT PICK ANY FEMALE ELF PORTRAIT DURING CHARACTER CREATION YOU WILL REGRET IT FOR ALL ETERNITY

The series is a dungeon bash. Given that M&M 6 easily has the best dungeons the choice is simple: 6. 7 just feels like someone randomly threw some stuff together to create the overland maps. It's a real chore to slog through them. Even M&M 8 feels more coherent than 7, although 8 suffers from micro dungeons and lack of party creation from the start. I'd rate them 6 >>>>> 8 > 7 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> contracting AIDS >>> 9.

janior

Arcane
Patron
Better play wizardry
tricycle.jpg

Parabalus

Arcane
If you do play 7 make sure to listen to this one golden advice:

DO NOT PICK ANY FEMALE ELF PORTRAIT DURING CHARACTER CREATION YOU WILL REGRET IT FOR ALL ETERNITY

I always thought somebody in the development team was hardcore sadist since they made an EVEN WORSE annoying elf in MM8.
They make that Cauri a lvl 50 recruitable right after the tutorial area and give her a voice more annoying than the default redheaded elf in MM7:mixedemotions: .

miles teg

Scholar
6 it is, then. Can I play it vanilla, or it's better with the greyface patch?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I think VII's the best M&M game period.

In comparison to VI it has better pacing, better gameplay and more variety.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, 7's actual world and content are kind of shit. The gameplay and systems are infinitely better (complaints about balance aside, anyhoo). I suppose it just comes down to what is your focus in Might & Magic. Personally I find it too difficult to play Might & Magic without turn-based combat where you can move around, so 6 always gets marked down heavily for me because of that.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
6 it is, then. Can I play it vanilla, or it's better with the greyface patch?
Greyface patch is nice. Make sure to move all the mp3 files from your Sounds folder to a new Music folder. I'd get this too if you want to play in a larger window.

Andhaira

Arcane
Play MMX:Legacy. It's really good. After beating that play the earlier ones if you still want to (though I bet you will want to play MMX again with a different party combo_

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom