Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Monster Hunter Rise

Shurakan

Novice
I consider Iceborne Alatreon to be the best fight in the series. He has clean, fair hitboxes on all his moves and his movepool is varied and rewards you with both long and short openings. Some of them are so long you can get in a greatsword true charged slash. So his moves encourage you to use your entire moveset. Nothing in Rise comes close, although it has fights I like and it improves some monsters that used to be horrible and actually makes them enjoyable. Rise has the monsters closer together in quality but lacks world's highs and lows.

Sentinel

Arcane
Rise is a poorer game in all aspects. The only good thing it did was bring back actual weapon designs instead of skull-sticks.

It might legitimately be the worst game in the series.

Shurakan

Novice
Something I liked in Rise was adding absolutely batshit insane end game skills. Skills like berserk, where if you are on the blue scroll you get immortality (you can't take damage from attacks) and infinite stamina but your health drains super fast (and goes even faster if you get slapped). The decos you unlock later on are also wild, like the one where your scroll swapping turns into a super dodge + cooldown reducer if you do a perfect parry. I can appreciate their will to experiment. And I'd be a liar if I said I didn't enjoy making ridiculous set combinations with the end game charms and augments that can have the skill points of an otherwise monster specific set on them. For all its faults, I ended up enjoying Rise a fair bit after the expansion. World is the better game overall, but I ended up with many happy hours in Rise.

Sentinel

Arcane
Is this game worth playing alone? I don't want to give Crapcom any money.
Every Monster Hunter is designed for 1-2 players.

4 player co-op has always been a huge joke and Rise is no exception.

IMO Rise isn't worth playing at all but to answer your question yes, every MH game is worth playing alone.

I tried playing this about a week ago, saw 100 tutorial pop-ups before the game even let me swing my weapon once and uninstalled. :lol: wtf is this shit, am I supposed to memorize all that crap? I have never experienced such retarded tutorial phase before and thus I decided that I cannot trust this game to be worthy of my time. I bet there were couple thousand more tutorials waiting for me once I started hitting things.

Last edited:

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
This game is fucking awful, especially going in after spending nearly 400 hours in MHW. So many new convoluted systems like wyvern riding and wirebug garbage, and none of it means anything because the game plays/looks/feels unbelievably bad in comparison to MHW. Nobody asked for this. The addition of a mount is nice, only because every area is so empty and lifeless that traversing on foot would be a nightmare. The wallrunning parkour shit is gay and is another needless addition that adds nothing to the game. Don't make another one of these "middle" installments. Focus on what you achieved with MHW and expand on that. Fuck this game.

Crayll

Liturgist
This game is fucking awful, especially going in after spending nearly 400 hours in MHW. So many new convoluted systems like wyvern riding and wirebug garbage, and none of it means anything because the game plays/looks/feels unbelievably bad in comparison to MHW.
I see this opinion often here and I really don't understand it. Rise is just better than World on every level aside from graphically, I guess, but Rise has a better style anyways. Aside from a couple exceptions all of the new monsters in World were pretty boring (Iceborne improved on that, but not by much). World also introduced some serious decline by leaning into the storyfag shit, simplifying armor skills, etc. Also the handler is fucking ugly :decline:

every area is so empty and lifeless
The maps are actually one of Rise's best points, just the right amount of detail in each zone. World's needlessly complex areas did nothing for the meat of the game. Mainly the forest area, that was just trash.

Don't make another one of these "middle" installments.
This is funny because Rise is much more similar to traditional MH than World, which is the biggest outlier of the series.
Honestly I'd rank both games towards the bottom of the list of MH games. They were each fun though.

I tried playing this about a week ago, saw 100 tutorial pop-ups before the game even let me swing my weapon once and uninstalled. :lol: wtf is this shit, am I supposed to memorize all that crap? I have never experienced such retarded tutorial phase before and thus I decided that I cannot trust this game to be worthy of my time. I bet there were couple thousand more tutorials waiting for me once I started hitting things.
This is an actual problem, the obligatory tutorial portion of every MH game is fucking awful.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I see this opinion often here and I really don't understand it. Rise is just better than World on every level aside from graphically
We must have played different games. MHW is one of the rare games where the creatures you face feel like living breathing creatures. The way they behave and react to attacks is lightyears beyond Rise. Literally technological generations ahead of Rise. Rise feels like a PS2 game.

The maps are actually one of Rise's best points, just the right amount of detail in each zone. World's needlessly complex areas did nothing for the meat of the game. Mainly the forest area, that was just trash.
I'm not sure how to respond to this other than calling you insane. MHW's environments mostly feel alive and are well designed. There are a couple areas that feel like ass cancer (the area where you fight Kirin in Coral Highlands). Rise's environments are barren arena wastelands for lamer monster duels.

This is an actual problem, the obligatory tutorial portion of every MH game is fucking awful.
This is not a problem in MHW. It gets you into the action fairly quick. The unskippable cutscenes make it feel longer than it really is (those need to go away). Multidirectional is spot-on about Rise. The tutorials are ludicrous and throwing so many at you at once makes the game seem like a confusing boring mess.

Sentinel

Arcane
Rise is just better than World on every level aside from graphically
Rise is a downgrade from World in pretty much every aspect of gameplay. Every map is an arena built for the player to fuck around with the monster instead of feeling like a real environment where monsters actually nest & live (you can literally find monsters sleeping in the middle of the fucking road in Rise, like wtf); combat is sped up and every weapon gets counters because the combat is no longer about positioning, it's about reacting to monster moves and ignoring them with epic no scope counters that neglect all damage; monsters are small when compared to world; monsters with unique gimmicks got nerfed and the aspects that made them unique are no longer relevant at all (Kushala Daora & Teostra); hot/cold environments no longer matter from a gameplay perspective, they just removed environmental effects on the player instead of expanding on them...; they combine the worst aspects of IB's clutch claw with wyvern riding and double down on monster wallbang spam by introducing mechanics that reward you smashing monsters into each other and then mind dominating the other monster and using it in battle...

Absolute trash game, fuck capcom. It's an actual stupid ass instant gratification power fantasy game.

Perkel

Arcane
"It's like the old monster hunter that was the best !!!"*
Aside from playing more like devil my cry rather than monster hunter.

"Maps are like in the old monster hunter i loved !"*
*Except the fact that this is exact same open world like in World but worse on all fronts with even more running but this time between poorly modeled "tunels" between each zone.

"Clutch claw le bad ! Wall-bangs make game to easy ! Rise doesn't have it."*
*Includes wyvern riding which is even worse. Wall bangs on other hand make monsters enraged 100% of time so at least there is minus to it.

-------------------

And that's just the comparison. Then there are: monster raids that are horrible, green/red/orange bugs that are horrible to gather, lobotomized AI that can't handle environment, old monsters without almost any movement change, new world monsters with reduced movement sets. Ton of shit monsters like literally azuros/lagombi again.

People compare it to Generations Ultimate are right. IT is basically GU2 with all its problems and barely any upside.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom