Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I have the anja sword and it has -30% affinity, so now I wanted to know if sword x is better than mine when adjusted for the minus 30%. I found out that the attack power thats stated has to be adjusted by dividing it with a number for your weapon. 4.1 in case of greatsword. Why? Why is that a thing it makes absolutely no sense to me why dont they state the raw attack value in the tooltipp? Is there something I am missing or maybe the info is incorrect? Does it even make sense to calculate the damage difference with minus affinity like this for a greatsword since I rarely just stand there and hack away.

All weapons across the same tier have the same underlying damage stat. They adjust it because otherwise you'd have people wondering why a greatsword, the bow, and sword and shield all have the same listed damage number.

All attacks are multiplied by a 'motion value' depending on the move. Faster weapons deal a fraction of their base damage while slower, heavier weapons multiply it. The damage stat reflects this by weighting the number to communicate the weapon's motion value. That's how Charge Blade can deal 10-20 damage a hit in sword mode and 150 damage a hit in axe mode with the same underlying damage stat. Greatswords have (I believe) the highest motion value and therefore the highest listed damage stat. It's a slow weapon but it hits very hard.

Affinity is the chance to deal 25% more or less damage per hit. To calculate the effect of -30% affinity, consider how much damage the weapon will deal across ten hits. Seven of those will deal full damage (100) while three will deal 25% less (75)

So (7x100)+(3x75) = 925/10 = Average damage of 92.5 per hit. You're losing 7.5% damage overall due to affinity. Not the end of the world. Note that negative affinity weapons tend to have higher base damage to make up for this, and you can boost affinity with skills pretty easily.

Elemental damage applies on top of base weapon damage, and isn't affected by affinity unless you have the Critical Element skill. This means elemental weapons are better the faster your attacks; greatswords might be the least suited weapons for elemental damage. Elemental damage is roughly 1/10th the listed number, so 100 fire damage stat means 10 fire damage per hit. This is further reduced by the fire resistance of the monster, which varies by location. A monster might take full fire damage to the head, partial to the wings, and none to the body. Elemental "weakness" never increases damage, it just means the monster has low resistance to that element.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Elemental damage is very weak, but does serve a purpose: many monsters suffer some special debuff from certain elements. Water element washes the mud off a Barroth for example. So the elemental versions of slow weapons are pointless. That said, big raw damage is helpful all on it's own.

Perkel

Arcane
elemental damage does extra damage to monsters with weakness to it.
So if you want to kill legiana the fastest way to do it is with fire weapon not with raw weapon.
Naturally the cost is to have few of those weapons if you specialize in ele damage.

Damned Registrations

If you're using exactly the right weapon, sure. But what if you're using a cutting weapon and the part of the monster that's weak to fire isn't weak vs cutting? What if the head is weak to the element but it's faster to take out it's legs for the knockdowns?

Not to mention the motion values/raw multipliers on some weapons are so high it can actually be better to just go with a raw damage weapon anyways. Unless the meta has changed since last I played and they like, tripled the damage elemental is dishing out or something.

Cromwell

Arcane
How exactly is elemental damage calculated? You have (your base damage / 10) * sharpness * part weakness ? Lets say the weakness is stated as 50 in a wiki is that *1,5 or *0,5? ignoring a wiki how much value would the number of stars in the ingame guide be?

I probably think to much about this and just clobbering the thing until it dies is the way to go but I cant help myself.

Perkel

Arcane
yeah but notice that elemental damage is huge. My legiana SnS has something like 600ice vs only like 420raw and raw itself isn't that bad compared to other weapons and that is without skills. Weakness to cutting/bashing isn't really same weakness as elemental weakness because one describes if something will do actually damage in orange while other just boost direct damage.

But generally yeah. You trade universality for extra damage but it requires more targeting and work.

How exactly is elemental damage calculated? You have (your base damage / 10) * sharpness * part weakness ? Lets say the weakness is stated as 50 in a wiki is that *1,5 or *0,5? ignoring a wiki how much value would the number of stars in the ingame guide be?

I probably think to much about this and just clobbering the thing until it dies is the way to go but I cant help myself.

simple idea: make 2 SnS or other weapons one raw one ele from same tier. Make sure that ele weapon is actually ele instead of being mostly raw with some ele (those exist too) and compare times.

I noticed how ele was excellent when i started to farm legiana. My rathalos SnS with fire damage absolutely murdered legiana in times i couldn't even believe. It was Tier5 rathalos SnS beating high rank legiana and i had times below 3-4 minutes without any ele skills as i was using gear for my crit gunlance.

But like i said it is situational and require more work.

mogwaimon

Magister
keep in mind they did redo the elemental systems for Iceborne so if you last played in vanilla, it's different now. Not sure if it changed the meta in any reasonable way but elemental damage was still improved across the board, basically.

Damned Registrations

That's good to hear, it's been underwhelming for as long as I can remember.
Weakness to cutting/bashing isn't really same weakness as elemental weakness because one describes if something will do actually damage in orange while other just boost direct damage.
The info shown in game doesn't really mean jack shit. Here's a table of Legiana's hit zones ripped from some japanese site:

wb15nSH.png

The numbers are basically damage percent multipliers, the higher the more damage. So if you're using a fire weapon and comparing hits between leg vs torso, you'll do about a third less damage with raw but twice as much with the fire component. So if you're mostly hitting the legs, fire elemental isn't going to help you out much. On the other hand, if you mostly hit the torso fire damage will help out a lot.

Elemental damage is actually really easy to calculate AFAIK, it basically always has a motion value of 10%. So if your weapon has 500 lightning, whether it's a SnS or a GS, it'll deal 50, reduced again to whatever percent is on that chart per hit. Whether it's a tiny lovetap or a huge finisher strike. For the raw damage you need the motion values each attack has, which vary from like 5-10% for tiny hits like individual hits from dual sword flurries, to something like 200% from super charged up hammer or greatsword hits. So your playstyle matters a lot too- if you go for the big helm breaker hits all the time, elemental won't matter as much as it does when you just spam normal slashes. That was before iceborne mind you, I don't know what aspect of it they improved.

Vorark

Erudite
keep in mind they did redo the elemental systems for Iceborne so if you last played in vanilla, it's different now. Not sure if it changed the meta in any reasonable way but elemental damage was still improved across the board, basically.

Yes, the biggest change was the increased elemental cap. From what I've read, it's derived from the base element up to a certain percentage, however there are conflicting reports about its inner workings. There are weapons which can be boosted beyond elemental atk lv6, be it by set bonus, HH songs etc.

5VVrh4X.jpg

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Iceborne added critical bounty stuff that require you to collect rng spawn "crown" critters.

Fuck this shit. I can tolerate those that spawns in certain time even with rng like the fluffy birb not this. It's purely rng.

Also special condition bounties that need rng. F u c k y o u

Perkel

Arcane
you mean snapshots ? Those who give you mostly worthless extra crap ?

But i kneel to your OCD. I though my OCD was full autism but yours is like god autism level.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
you mean snapshots ? Those who give you mostly worthless extra crap ?

But i kneel to your OCD. I though my OCD was full autism but yours is like god autism level.
yeah. i saw the rewards and it's mostly just home decoration. i give up. gold crown is awarded for the biggest endemic life you can find, out of god know how many sizes are there. some of the creatures also spawn conditionally (finding dapper coralbird is already hard and only come at night, or the fly that only come out at rain and we have to get the BIGGEST size possible ) and that makes rng god just point and laugh at my misery.

Damned Registrations

Aren't they just going to release giant/mini versions of everything as events anyways like they always do?

Sentinel

Arcane
lol I've ignored all critical bounties in my 200 hours of playtime. I forget the limited bounties 90% of the time I return to the hub as well. I got some crowns by accident but i dont even know what they do or what they're for. Apparently it's just home decoration stuff? Who cares

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Almost everything in the base game is obselete by the time you start iceborne. If a weapon tree dont have "shortcut" i guess you probably need some lower rank monsters parts but thats what investigations are for. Just do that or do SOS. They give out reward for master rank hunters helping low rank players i think. I dunno if it's just timed festival thing or it goes forever.

Some quest that might help you is probably those that give out equipments like mantles, then befriending each region's lynians that also give your cat more equipments.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I'm confused by something. Why is no one using the quest board anymore?

Everytime I've tried to use the board its come up empty no matter what I search for. For what I can see the only way to find anything is to either join a full lobby or use the SOS finder.

Perkel

Arcane
I'm confused by something. Why is no one using the quest board anymore?

Everytime I've tried to use the board its come up empty no matter what I search for. For what I can see the only way to find anything is to either join a full lobby or use the SOS finder.

Quest board only shows up your local lobby quests. SOS shows you quests by non lobby people.

Sentinel

Arcane
Haven't even managed to beat the normal gorilla yet and they're giving me a perma super saiyan one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom