Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview More French on Fallout 3: It sucks!

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3

<a href="http://forum.canardplus.com/showpost.php?p=1264073&postcount=2">CanardPlus have a preview of Fallout 3</a> and apparently it's not good. Here's a snip:
<br>
<blockquote><b>4) Conclusion</b>: Again, it is not easy to get a clear idea of what may Fallout 3 at its output. In the state, the development team still has a sacred ceremony bugs of all kinds to correct. In any case it is sure he did not démarquera by his technique, showing sets empty, accusing an engine dated and poorly operated, the animations "rigor mortis." Secondment from the original gameplay from previous Fallout, bethesda tries to impose it as an action RPG, as Oblivion. I can not guarantee that this will be a good fallout… or even a good game at all.</blockquote>
<br>
You can use <a href="http://translate.google.com/translate_t?sl=fr&tl=en">google translate to get the rest yourself</a> or <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=563610#563610">read the full translation here</a>.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>NightEye</b>, <b>Seboss</b> and <b>Lonely Vazdru</b>!

Lemunde

Scholar
Well you certainly can't argue with that...whatever they said.

Seboss

Liturgist
EDIT: besides, I would have liked a cookie too: http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... torder=asc
:'(

DU said:
You can use google translate to get the rest.
Or you can use the awesome translation from Lonely Vazdru:

Lonely Vazdru said:
Here goes. Probably many typos.

As an introduction to this Q&A it is crucial to note that we were only allowed half an hour of play. A half hour is not much. Were we to evaluate the depth, richness and creativity of the first two Fallout games in such a short time period, there is no doubt that our final verdict would be altered.

The version we played was the same as the one shown to other eurpean journalists these last weeks. The game we were given to load was saved just prior to exiting the vault, once the avatar was a full blown adult. We can not, therefore, give any details regarding the childhood of the character, partly shown in the demo, a couple of months ago. The character first steps in the outside world, and it's up to the player to guide him. Pete Hines, who was in charge of this presentation, explained that the first town we were to meet was Megaton.

1)ENVIRONMENT.

Do the environment create a feeling of freedom ? Or do the maps feel "narrow" ?

A feeling of freedom, yes. Of vastness not really : exiting the vault, the view distance is a few miles deep, and ruined Washington buildings can be seen in the distance. Instinct compels you to follow the road that leaves the vault but the player is free to roam wherever he wishes.
As for me, I walked in a straight line, to get an idea of the size of the area, while regularly checking the map to see the scale of the game. During the half hour I was given to play, I casually walked about two thirds of the map's width, while doing some fighting and exploring some buildings. As Bethesda said, the game area is clearly smaller than Oblivion's.

Is the environment strictly urban ?

No, there are also vast plains with dead trees all around, small devastated villages, or even a lake. Still, I did not notice much diversity in places and architecture, the color palette and the "atmosphere" are more or les the same everywhere. There is a blue lighting in Washington, as opposed to the orange one used in the wastelands, but nothing really different.

Does it feel enclosed ? (as in false sense of freedom => well defined corridors)

The world is open in Fallout, no corridor effect. The game area is more or less a square, freedom seems absolute. Except for some of the streets where "impassable" rubble can create some linearity.

Can many buildings and ruins be explored ?

In Megaton, first city of the game, any building, house or warehouse can be entered and there are about twenty of them. Other than private houses there is a clinic, a weapon shop, a saloon, a water-treatment plant, etc,
During my play I only entered one hostile building, an underground bunker of some sort, under Washington DC. Oddly enough, I immediately made a connection with Oblivion's dungeons : only an outside door is visible, and then corridors full of monsters. Further away in the game, I did not notice any other "enterable" buildings but I did not try to do any more "dungeons" either. It is a bit frustrating to walk along a building with broken windows, and not be able to jump through one of them to see what's inside.

What about radioactivity in the game ? Does it visually show ?

In Fallout 3, every natural water source is radioactive (puddles, lakes, etc,). If you step in one of them, your Geiger counter clicks and a red icon on the top of the screen tells you how much of a dose you got. It seems like any water you want to drink has to be purified first. I can't tell if thirst enters the gameplay at all, having not even seen a complete day/night cycle. Radiations also got into living beings, so the meat you get from dead animals can be radiated and fuck off your health. Here again, I can't say how hunger is implemented in the game, I only noticed an slight increase in health when eating.

Is the post-apocalyptic atmosphere well done ?

Considering the destroyed, rusted, filthy environement that surrounds you, yes. On the other hand, compared to previous Fallouts, it seems clear that designers went for a more realistic approach. Still some visual elements made it : The vault boy, Nuka Cola commercials, etc,
But Fallout's world is empty. Too empty. The nuclear holocaust explains it, but walking in the wastelands, encountering only a mutant dog and a giant wasp, still can be very lonely.
Many containers can be searched (trash cans, various dispensers, furniture, etc) but what you find in them sometimes breaks the game's credibility : I found three frag grenades and a Psycho in a mail box !

Are there as many movies references as in the first two ? (Eastwood movies, Monty Python, Wizard of Oz, Blues brothers and so on...)

Hard to say in such a little time, but I don't think so. The only thing I noticed (and I'm not even sure it's deliberate) is a Forbidden planet lookalike robot, standing at Megaton's entrance. Nothing else I could see. Unfortunately, I don't think that any of Black Isle's twisted humour will be present. The universe seems, saddly, more serious. I do hope that exploring the rest of the game will prove me wrong.

Is there real depth ? Zillions of details, sideways, all in all lots of little things apart from the main quest/places ? Just like there were many small villages, hermits NPC and many others in Oblivion... except they were all paper thin.

I did not meet any NPC in the wastes, except a traveling merchant of the WolfGang, hauling his wares on a brahmin. There are some details here and there, but emptiness prevails while exploring, to the point where one may wonder if adding NPCs is not on top of Bethesda's "to do" list. I also passed through a ruined village, but there did not seem to be anything to do there.

2)GAMEPLAY

Do gory violent deaths seem relevant, or is it mere showing off ?

That, is E3's syndrome. Bethesda wanted to promote the adult side side of Fallout 3 and showed extremely gory and violent fights in gameplay videos. At the begining of the presentation, Pete Hines played that card as well, by using the "bloody mess" trait, thus making deaths goriest, fights turned donwright silly : shoot an enemy in the foot and the whole body explodes in a pool of blood. When actually playing, it is less impressive and enemies die without overdoing it. Cool. But inconsistencies are still there, like the mini nuclear missile that "only" chops off an enemy's foot, etc,

Is playing Fallout 3 with a paddle a good experience ? Will the interface be adapted to mouse and keyboard ?

Not being a big console FPS player, I found it extremely difficult to control the character, and to aim correctly. In that sense, VATS then becomes useful, when I first thought it was useless. When facing a group of enemies, entering VATS is probably the wiser move. On a PC, I'm not so sure : The keyboard/mouse combo, making aiming very accurate, we can imagine Quake 3-like fights, with the player straffing around enemies while emptying their guns, with VATS all but forgotten. As in Oblivion, stats do play a role in the hit/miss ratio, but still...

If the PC version is identical to this one (Xbox 360), as it probably will, will it be a drag ? (Interface, saving,...)

Oh yes. I think PC's interface will be a pain. Bethesda decided to put all menus in the Pipboy on your wrist. Great for immersion but shit for ergonomy : a stick to switch between the three main menus (Stats/Items/Data), and another one to navigate the sub-menus and displayed elements.
Furthermore, the inventory is reduced to a list of items names, an icon showing on the right of the screen when hovering the mouse over them. Also, forget about the two rapid items slots at the bottom, you don't need them anymore anyway, turn based combat having been dumped. Here, you just equip a weapon ad that's it.

Is the "turn based" system using action points still relevant or even useful, in a real time game ?

On the 360, as I mentioned earlier, with the console FPS interface, VATS is necessary to survive. Enemies often close in pretty fast for melee and VATS allows you to handle many a delicate situation. I did not see any overpowerful use of VATS and I often had to step-in closer, to increase my chances to succesfully hit. Hit localization will please the fun lovers : like in shooting a supermutant's weapon off his hands. Such accuracy is hard to reproduce when staying in real time mode. But truth be told, you just end-up using all your action points aiming for the chest, without any deep consideration. Reloading and inventory management being real time, action points it seems, are only useful for aimed shots. A real bummer for the tactical part of the Fallout franchise.

Level scaling or not ?

Big question. The guys at Bethesda assured us, a couple of month ago, that level scaling, which angered so many Elder Scrols fans, was not in Fallout 3. I strongly doubt it. Check this : near the end of my half hour of gameplay, roaming around Washington DC, I stumble upon 3 supermutants, one weilding a Gattling. I'm only level 3 and wearing a raiders light armor. I have a baseball bat, a 10mm basic pistol and an empty laser pistol. I enter VATS and try to make the mutant drop his Gattling. I miss and the other two rush towards me. I weild my baseball bat, alterning between VATS and real time, while my action points recharge. The first mutant dies, I grab his spiked bat and kill the second one while a mutant arachnid attacks me. I kill it using the spiked bat also. The third mutant will fall to a combination of grenades and 10mm bullets. Less than half an hour of play, I'm only level 3, yet I just killed three supermutants and an unidentified arachnid quite easily using a bat, and I now have a Gattling. Things are quite dandy.

Are dialogues well written and ambiguous, or does it boil down to :
1) bad
2) nice
3) kthxbye.

The only piece of dialogue I sampled was with Lucas Simms, Megaton's sheriff. He is a key character for the main quest and thus, it seems logical that the choice of answers here is an indication of the depth of other dialogues in the game. If some answers are rather colourful, like the one that basically tells him to fuck off, it still looked more like "nice/bad/rumours/kthxbye". There was not anything really subtle here, but once again, I did not play long enough to really have a clear opinion. Some conversation choices necessitate having good converstaion skills. Percentage of success is indicated, between brackets, in front of the answer.

Is the game difficult ? Is the start fucking hard ?

No, at least not as much as in your first run of Fallout 2 if one was to compare. Enemies are weak, and the aforementioned mutants fight is a clear indication of that. I only died twice, out of being too casual, once because an ill thrown grenade torn my legs out. The game then brings you back a bit "before" in your play. It looks like a mix of checkpoint and autosave.

Do you have to kill rats ?

Yes. Lots. The only "dungeon" I entered was full of them. And turrets didn't seem to mind, when the would shoot at me for just peeking in a monitored corridor.

Is the IA as shitty as in the videos ?

Yes, unfortunately, it's one of Fallout 3's main flaws. Mobs are totally stupid, NPCs running towards their aggressors, enemies blocked running by a low ceiling (so I could kick their asses with my bat), rats charging you so close that they "melt" with you, uselessly hoping around trying to hit you. It's the main flaw that Bethesda absolutely must correct.

Did you try to steal ? Is it like in Oblivion ? Can NPCs steal some of your gear ? Do they attack you if you miss or can you fail without creating a slaughter ?

The steal system is much like Oblivion's : crouch to sneak. Then you can see if you are visible or not thantks to an onscreen indication. If you miss, you karma drops but nobody ever attacked me, even when I tried to rob a young lady in megaton.
Burglary on the other hand, might not be to your liking : a door's name shows in red when you enter it illegaly. Any item you pick-up inside drops your karma. Even if no one notices you. All knowing NPCs, who know what you did, remind me of Boiling point and that is not a good reference.

Can combat be avoided ?

The thing is I couldn't even try : using sneak, one could probably avoid an enemy, but them seeing you before you do prevents it. Another IA problem, that should be solved before release.

Are weapons customizable, are there different types of ammo ? (Yeah, I'm dreaming, I know)

From what I could see, no. Weapons showing as a list of names, it doesn't seem possible to combine items in the inventory. And I didn't encounter different types of ammo in my play.

How many weapons will there be ?

I wasn't told. It seems that there is a great variety of firearms, blunt weapons, new weapons like the item-thrower or back from earlier games like the power fist.

Is there a shitty quick travel like in Oblivion ?

Yes, after some exploring, a message informed me that fast travel was unlocked, to facilitate my travels. I did not use it.

Multiple ways to solve quests ?

Developpers claim that they wanted the player to solve quests the way he wishes. Megaton's exemple shows this : The bomb at eh center of the city has not exploded and the citizens worship it like a sacred relic. The sheriff asks you to help him defuse it. If your skills are high enough, you can defuse it or make it blow. You can also meet some weirdo in the city who will ask you to help make the bomb blow. You can either help him, send him off, or tell him to the sheriff.
I'm still affraid of some linearity in the game's actions : Pete Hines told us that every turret sat close to a computer that could be used to hack it. It's a good thing to offer a alternate way to the player, but if it is systematicaly the same, it might turn off the more experienced players.

3)THE TECHNICAL SIDE.

On the technical side, first impressions are confirmed : It's ugly, textures are bland and sometimes undetailed, the game is over aliased and colours are not, I repeat not, a good pick. They might not be too far off from the Fallout spirit, but they are a mess in terms of realism and basic looks. Once again, this is to be taken with a grain of salt, it is not the final version, but it does not bode well and fallout 3 will not shine on the technical level.

Can we zoom out a bit more than the "stuck-up-PC's-ass" view ?

There are two views : one FPS and one third person a la Resident Evil 4. There was a bug, at one point in my game, which put the camera farther away from the PC, yet centered on him, as in... Oblivion. But zooming out is not implemented, you'll have to make do with "over the shoulder" camera.

Did they keep that music, the one you found awful ?

Yes. Inon Zur's orchestral music is still here. Hard for us to see that our divine opinion was not taken into consideration. Music is quite discreet, but checking the options, I could see that it had been lowered to a third of its full level. The military march style music, that some preview mention and that can be heard in some gameplay videos, comes from speaker wielding robots, probably some sputnik's offspring. Your Pipboy also warns you when it pick-up a local radio signal, you can then listen to it.

Is character animation still done the Bethesda's way ?

Yes. Bethesda's mark is unmistakable here : characters "smurfing" over rocks with extremely stiff animations, totally unnatural. The "over the shoulder" view suffers from those animations and eventually becomes tiresome. Jumps, in FPS, are really slooow, like on the moon. In third person, they still look as slow, but the animation is even more ridiculous. It was one of Oblivion's engine main beefs, it's a shame that nothing was done to make it more fluid.

In the gameplay videos, during slow motions, it seemed that the camera was stuck up a bull's ass (as in you don't see nothing). Is it still like that ?

Yes, yes, a thousand yes. I really hope this is not the final system. Either during slow motions or VATS, camera often focuses away from the action, showing a wall, a foot, nothing even. And I coul not find any way in the options menu to turn off the slow-mo shooting effect. My time ine the underground dungeon was made very unnerving because of that. Action was messy, with rats that I couldn't properly aim and that kept running into my feet, like kangaroos high on acid.

Does one need a NASA-like computer to run the game ?

I have no idea of the PC version requirements, but the Xbox version was not really fluid. Moving in the dungeon's corridors vas a very jerky business, even though it was a very simple map. Yes, there were some smoke effects, but nothing that should show on a piece of harware like the 360. It's obvious that there is an optimization problem that Bethesda's developpers should solve before release.

4) CONCLUSION.

Once again, it's not easy to know what Fallout 3 will be when released. As it is now, there are many bugs for the development team to squash. It is, however, certain that the game will not shine through it's technical aspect, showing empty environements and "rigor mortis" animations, with an aging, ill-used engine.
Stepping away from pregvious Fallouts' gameplay, Bethesda tries to promote it as an action RPG, just like Oblivion. I can't garantee that it will be a good Fallout game.. not even simply a good game.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
ohohohoh. thanks for the translation

NightEye

Novice
Here's my try at the translation (probably not as good as LV's but if it can precise a thing or two) :

1) THE ENVIRONMENT

- Is there a feeling of freedom ? Do the maps feel narrow ?

A feeling of freedom, yes.
A feeling of extremely vast space, not really :
exiting the Vault, you can see several kilometers away with Washington ruined buildings in the distance. From instinct, you follow the road that goes down from the shelter but the player is free to go where he wants. For my part, I tried to go straight ahead to get an idea of the size of the area by looking at the map from time to time. In the half-hour I played, I crossed about two third (2/3) of the map while walking calmly, stopping for combat or to go inside a building.
The playing zone is clearly smaller than in Oblivion, as was already stated by Bethesda.

- Do the environments consist only of cities ?

No, there are vast plains with dead trees, totally ruined littles villages, or a lac. This being said, from places to places, I didn't notice a big difference in architecture, in colors used and the ambiance is pretty much the same everywhere.
The light (the bloom ?) is indeed more blueish in Washington and more orange in the wasteland but nothing radically different.

- Does the environment feel too closed ? (like a fake feeling of freedom in well placed corridors)

In Fallout, the world is open, there isn't any corridor effect. The area is more or less a square, inside of it, you can go wherever you want. Only the streets of Washington DC feel more linear : ruined buildings sometimes act as uncrossable barriers.

- Can we explore many buildings or ruins ?

In Megaton, the first city of the game, you can go inside every building, house or hangar, about 20 in total. Apart from habitations, you can find a clinic, a armory, a saloon, a recycling station, etc. During my playtime, I entered onlu one hostile building, some kind of underground bunker in Washington DC. Strangely, I immediately remembered Oblivion's dungeons : a single door on the outside, and corridors full of monsters on the inside.
Further in the area, I didn't notice any other building you could go into but I wasn't looking for any other dungeon either.
Which is a bit frustrating, walking by a building with all the windows broken but you can't jump through one to see what's inside.

- What about radiation in general ? And visually, how does it show ?

In Fallout 3, every natural source of water is radioactive (pond, lac, etc). If you walk in it, you're Geiger counter goes off and a red icon appears in top of the screen to tell you the amount of radiation you just received. It seems that the player must absolutely find purified water to drink. I don't know if thirst even has an influence on gameplay since I haven't seen a complete Day/Night cycle.
The radiations also contaminated living species and the meat you can get from the bodies of animals can hurt your health. Once again, I don't know hunger is managed, I've only seen that your health goes up slightly when you eat something.

- Is the post-apocalyptic ambiance really there ?

With the destroyed buildings, the rust, the dust, the dirt all around, yes.
Compared to the previous Fallouts, the designers chose a more "serious" universe, with less fantasy which was part of the licence.
Some visual elements are still there though : the Vault Boy, the Nuka Cola ads, etc.
But I have to admit that the world of Fallout 3 is empty. Too empty.
The excuse of a nuclear holocaust is solid but walking through the wasteland to encounter only a mutant dog and some kind of giant wasp makes you feel very lonely.
The player can search many objects (trashbins, ATMs, furniture, etc) but the items found in them can hurt the game credibility : for example, I found 3 frag grenades and a Psycho in a letterbox.

- Is there as many movies references as in the 1st and 2nd episodes ? (Dollars Trilogy, Flying Circus, Holy Grail, the Sorcerer of Oz, Blues Brothers, etc)

Hard to say in such a short time but I don't think so. The only thing I noticed (and I'm not even sure it was made on purpose) was a possible reference to "forbidden planet" as a robot standing at the entrance of Megaton. I didn't see anything else.
Unfortunately, I don't think we will see the funny touch of Black Isle studios. The universe seems sadly more serious. I hope the exploration of the zone will prove me wrong.

- Does the game have a real depth ? The zillion details, the hidden paths, the many things outside the major places and quests ?
Like Oblivion had many small villages, lonely NPCs in the mountains and such but hopefully better cause they all had the scenaristic thickness of cigaret paper.

I didn't meet any NPC in the wasteland except a traveling merchant from WolfGang in front of Megaton. There are a few details here and there but the impression of emptiness is otherwhelming during exploration to the point where one can wonders if the addition of NPCs in the wasteland isn't on Bethesda TO DO list.
For example I went to a ruined village but nothing let me suppose that there would be anything to do there.

2) THE GAMEPLAY

- Is the gore of violent deaths logical or is it overkill ?

That's the E3 syndrom. In its gameplay videos, Bethesda wanted to show the "adult" side of Fallout 3 and used extremely gore fights to do so. During the first presentation demo, Peter Hines did it again; using the "Bloody Mess" trait which makes the deaths more violent, the fights were turning to Grand Guignol : shoot an enemy in the foot and it's the entire body that explodes in a splash of blood.
In the real game, it's much less impressing and the enemies die without making a fuss. Whew.
On the other hand, some problems remain like the mini nuclear missile that only cuts off an enemy's foot for example. One would expect such a weapon to have more punch.

- Fallout 3 with a pad, how was it ? Are we gonna have a reworked interface for the mouse and keyboard ?

Not being a fan of console FPS, I had a really hard time getting used to the controls and more over to make my character aim straight.
In that respect, the pause combat system called VATS has a usefulness I didn't understood at first. Against a group of foes, using it is the wisest choice.
But on the PC, the usefulness of the VATS should prove to be very arguable. The alliance mouse + keyboard allowing precise aiming, I think we will see very classical Quake-like fights, with the player strafing around the enemy to avoid their fire and empty his ammo clip.
Rendering the VATS largely useless on the computer version of the game.

Like in Oblivion, stats influence the precision of your gun but...

- If the PC version is exactly like the Xbox 360 version which seems likely to be the case, will it be crippling ? (interface, savegames, ...)

Oh Yes ! I think that on PC the interface will be really painful. Bethesda chose to place all the menus in the pipboy fixed on your arm.
The immersion intent is laudable but as for ergonomy, it's a real mess : a stick to switch between the 3 main menus "Stats-Items-Data", the other to navigate on the sceen and the sub-menus. Furthermore, the inventory is a simple list of names, a mini picture appearing as you pass over the name. Likewise, forget about the two items to place at the bottom of your inventory as fast slot since the turn-based gameplay has been made obsolete. Here you just have to equip this or that weapon and that's all.

- With real-time combat, is the "turn-based" system with action points still interesting ?

As I said, on 360, with a pad and a console FPS maniability, the VATS becomes an important tool to survive. Oftentimes, the enemies will come at close range very fast and the VATS allows the player to come out of difficult situations. I didn't notice any overpower using it and I often had to get closer to make more successful hits.
The localisation of damages is good : shoot at the weapon of a super mutant and it will fall from his hands. That accuracy is extremly hard to get in real-time combat. But in practice, you end up placing all your action points on the enemies chest and that's it.
Reloading being in real-time as is the management of the inventory, it seems to me that the action points have no other purpose than to make an aimed shot. A real setback from the tactical combats of the previous episodes.

- Scaling difficulty or not ?

Big question.

The guys from Bethesda claimed a few months back that the auto leveling system that made the Elder Scrolls fans scream would not be a part of Fallout 3. Let me say that I doubt that very much.
See for yourself :
At the end of my half-hour of gameplay, while walking in Washington DC,
I encounter a group of three super mutants, one of them armed with a Gatling. I am level 3 and I only got so far a simple Raiders light armor. My weapons : a baseball bat, the 10mm handgun you get at the start and a laser pistol without ammo. I activate the VATS and try to make the Super mutant drop his Gatling. I fail and the other two mutants rush towards me. I use my baseball bat, switching between VATS attacks and real-time attacks while my action points go up. The first mutant dies, I get a bat with nails and kill the second mutant while some kind of mutant spider attacks me from behind. I kill it with the bat too. The last mutant dies after I used a grenade and a clip of 10mm bullets. I've played for less than half-hour, I'm level 3, I just smoked 3 supermutants and a spider-thingie with a baseball bat without breaking a sweat and I am now the happy owner of a Gatling gun...
Everything's fine.

- Are the dialogues well done and ambiguous, or do you see right away the answers like 1) good guy, 2) bad guy, 3) See you !

The only dialogue I can take as example is the one with Lucas Simms, Sheriff of Megaton. He's a key character of the main quest, so it seems logical to think that the complexity of this conversation gives a fair idea of what dialogues are like in the rest of the game. Some answers like the one telling him to fuck off are pretty cool, the choice was pretty much "Goo-Bad-Intel-See You". I didn't notice any real subtlety in the answers but once again, I didn't have time to make sure about that.
For some choices of answers, you need to have good stats in talking/diplomacy. Before that kind of answer, the probability of success is shown between brackets.

- Is the game hard ? (ammo and stimpacks hard to find, etc) ?
- Is the beginning of the game a pain in the ass ?

No. At least you don't sweat as much as your first try at Fallout 2 if that's what you mean. The enemies are weak and the example above with the three super mutants should be clear enough. I died twice, only by carelessness, once because of a grenade I threw badly.
When you die, the game brings you back a little earlier in the game in what seems to be a mix between a checkpoint and a automatic savegame.

- Do we have to kill rats ?

Yes. Lots. The only "dungeon" I explored was full of them and the security turrets didn't seem to mind them but everytime I took a look in a protected corridor, I also took a burst of bullets from the turrets.

- Is the AI as stinky as what was shown in the videos ?

Unfortunately, yes. It's one of the main problems of the current version of Fallout 3. The enemies are plain stupid, NPCs oftentimes flee towards their agressors, foes get stuck running into places with too low ceiling, rats that attack you so close you can't see them anymore, (they "fused" with your own character) jumping in place to try to hurt you, etc.
This is the number one problem Bethesda must work on at all cost.

- Did you see the theft system ? Can NPCs steal from you ? Do the NPCs attack you at the first failure or can you fail without causing a carnage ?

The theft system is the same as in Oblivion. You just have to crouch to enter "sneak mode". From ther, an icon in the corner of the screen tells you if someone can see you or not. If you fail, your karma drops but nobody attacked me when I tried to rob a lady in Megaton.
As for burglary, you probably won't like it : a door which name appears in red tells you that you are entering illegally. Every object you take inside will make you karma go down. It goes down even if nobody sees you enter or exit the room or take anything in it.
The all-knowing NPCs who know every crime commited everywhere in the world reminds me of the infamous Boiling Point.

- Can we avoid the fights ?

Problem is I didn't even have the occasion to try : Maybe by being in sneak mode you can go around an enemy but most of the time, foes will see you before you see them leaving you no choice but to fight. Another AI problem that should worked on before release.

- Are there customisable weapons, different types of ammo for a same gun, etc ?

From what I've seen, no. The inventory being a list, it doesn't seem possible to make an item work with another. I didn't see different types of ammo.

- How many weapons will there be ?

The total number of weapons was not revealed. It seems there is a variety of guns, blunt weapons, new things like the item-thrower or old ones like the Powerfist.

- Is there a quick travel like in Oblivion ?

Yes, after exploring the map for some time, a message appears to tell you that fast travel has been activated. Personally I didn't use it.

- Are there several ways to solve a quest ?

As for quests, developers said they wanted the player to be able to solve them as he wants.
Example in the city of Megaton : the bomb in the center of the city didn't explode during the nuclear apocalyspe and it is now worshipped by the population. The sheriff ask you to disarm that bomb. If you have the necessary stats in Explosives, you can either disarm the bomb or set it off.
Furthermore, somewhere in the city is a shaddy-looking guy who will ask you to make the bomb explode : you can do as he asks, refuse or tell the sheriff about this guy.

As for the progression in the world, I do fear some repetitivity : Peter Hines told that next to every turret was the computer to hack it. It's interesting to let the player choose how to solve a problem but giving him systematically the same alternative solution kind of beats the purpose.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Only an impression from what amount to be a timed playing session.

But folks, this game is slated to be released on October 7, 2008. In production time, that is less than two months remaining, even less than that if the store shelves and other preparations to retail channels are factored in. This is as good an impression as any of the final product. I sense in the translation of the article not the tone of vindication of long held 'prejudiced' doubts but the sense of deflating disappointment and betrayal of hype at the stark reality of what this game truly is. I am of the latter variety.

Seboss

Liturgist
French hate everything except themselves, don't shower, French girls don't shave their armpits nor anything, they are cowards and err... they eat gross, smelly stuff.
Forgot anything ? :P

Shannow

Waster of Time
Seboss said:
French hate everything except themselves, don't shower, French girls don't shave their armpits nor anything, they are cowards and err... they eat gross, smelly stuff.
Forgot anything ? :P
And they smoke too much, strike too much, want too much EU money for their farmers, let their poor youth degrade to US levels and ehm...can't think of anything else right now. Oh, wait: They helped the North Americans evade taxes. The worst crime of all.

Mareus

Magister
Haha! This was a good read. Thank God the French are not kissing Bethseda ass. It will probably sell well despite bad previews from some magazines, but I have a feeling that Bethseda, after Oblivion and now Fallout 3, is slowly sealing their own tomb.

Seboss

Liturgist
I wonder if they are just sleeping on their laurels, are totally incompetent and if they realize it or not, or if they just don't give a crap about the game.

Mareus

Magister
Of course they don't care about the game. They only care about money and I bet they are already rubbing their greedy little hands thinking how the game will sell.

Seboss

Liturgist
That's for the sales and producers all right, but what about the devs and designers? Are they convinced they're doing a great job just as James Blunt thinks he makes good music ?
Or do they realize they're really doing a lousy job, barely enough to fulfill the 'Bethesda's contract' (freeroam, lots of content...)?

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
They only care about money and I bet they are already rubbing their greedy little hands thinking how the game will sell.

Oh give it a rest. Few devs work in the games industry out of anything but passion, you can make far more money and work far saner hours in traditional software development. For all but a tiny (less than 1%) of developers, they sacrifice for the opportunity to do what they are passionate about.

You may not like the end product of their efforts but this need to attack even their motives, to paint them as mustache stroking, cape swirling villains, is purely juvenile.

MetalCraze

Arcane
They are working for money. Bethesda is business - they know how to work less and sell more. That's how the business works. And that's why every new Beth game is shittier than the previous one yet sells a few hundred of thousands copies more every time.
Most people are hopelessly dumb. Beth found keys to them.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Skyway, we've had this talk before. You need to try to act less like Skyway, please.

Bethesda is business - they know how to work less and sell more

Glad being a "business" automatically bestows on you the special ability "sell more/work less", in the weird fantasy land your mind inhabits.

Damn but you're just so very...Skyway.

Seboss

Liturgist
About my initial question, I wasn't trying to insinuate anything.
I'm genuinely curious about how the devs feel about their game, their work and the pretty harsh critics targetted at the game since its announcement. I'm pretty sure they weigh far more in their minds that the brainless praise the PR bought them.

I know I'm not getting an answer here, just wanted to express my curiosity that's all.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Naked Ninja said:
You may not like the end product of their efforts but this need to attack even their motives, to paint them as mustache stroking, cape swirling villains, is purely juvenile.

hinesot6.jpg

Naked Ninja said:

Quite. Only one of the production team wears a moustache in anycase.

lh_06_470x320.jpg

Mareus

Magister
Naked Ninja said:
They only care about money and I bet they are already rubbing their greedy little hands thinking how the game will sell.

Oh give it a rest. Few devs work in the games industry out of anything but passion, you can make far more money and work far saner hours in traditional software development. For all but a tiny (less than 1%) of developers, they sacrifice for the opportunity to do what they are passionate about.

Ok, let's say you are right and that majority of devs are mostly in the buisness because of passion, but how come the gaming is constantly declining in quality? Is it the suits, who are pressuring the devs to dumb down their games? If so, how can they be passionate about doing something they don't agree with? Therefore you only have two options:
1. The devs maybe even give a crap about the games they make, but money comes first
2. The devs have very poor taste and lack of talent when it comes to RPGs

However you put it, such people shouldn't be making Fallout 3. I don't know what changed in Bethseda to go from Morrowind to Oblivion, but if the same people have been doing Morrowind, how come Oblivion turned to shit? Obviously they are not lacking talent, so they are sacrifacing their passion for money. Bethseda is not the only company who changed to money grabing corporation and it is obvious today everything is about money. Few of those who were passionate about what they do ended up bankrupt, or swallowed by bigger companies so please do not try to defend their motives.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom