Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview More French on Fallout 3: It sucks!

Pegultagol

Erudite
Probably the success of Oblivion gave them positive reinforcement in their business strategy to stay the course in this risk-averse industry. You could be pretty proud of your work if the texture of metal shard you've worked on is used liberally in a multi-million best selling game. If we are talking about programmers, they can be proud of their passion and dedication too, if the game shipped has no showstopping errors and can be alt+tabbed out of in 64-bit Vista, repeatedly. If we are talking about the game design, then we may have some problems as to how really proud they are. In Fallout 3; design philosophy = marketing decisions, so they should be mighty proud, they have the platinum touch.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Naked Ninja said:
Skyway, we've had this talk before. You need to try to act less like Skyway, please.

Bethesda is business - they know how to work less and sell more

Glad being a "business" automatically bestows on you the special ability "sell more/work less", in the weird fantasy land your mind inhabits.

Damn but you're just so very...Skyway.

Thank you. But probably after I will add show- to the business it will become more logical.
And judging by how Beth markets their games it's a show-/entertainment business all right. Beth is like a Paris Hilton of games - everything they touch turns to ridiculous shit - yet it sells more without much effort put in it and people go crazy because of it while praising Beth for nothing.

Is it ok for you now?

Seboss

Liturgist
Mareus said:
IMG_0768.JPG

Fixed.

Mmmmm...
Hey! you miscreant!

Mareus

Magister
Oh and just so you know, when I wrote on Beth forums my complains about how Oblivion sucks, the response was:
"It's not feasable to make a game like that. You can learn moding and fix whatever you didn't like. Why would we do all that work when we can make a feasible game and let the modding community make the game to everyone taste."

Also, whenever I tried to write Oblivion sucks, the forum turned it into Oblivion is the greatest game ever.

Very passionate indeed.

Micmu

Magister
Yes, "use mods / let the community fix it" responses as a defense are particularly funny. Says a lot about the game. :lol:

OMG dung siege sucks?! Download Lazarus!!

Crolug

Liturgist
Mareus said:
"It's not feasable to make a game like that. You can learn moding and fix whatever you didn't like. Why would we do all that work when we can make a feasible game and let the modding community make the game to everyone taste."

As compared to CD Projekt's "tell us what do you think has to be improved, we will improve it and than you'll be able to download those corrections for free. What? Voiceovers are crap? Hell, we will re-record them for ya..."

Grey

Novice
My new programming hole, Fortitude Valley - Queens
Crolug said:
Mareus said:

As compared to CD Projekt's "tell us what do you think has to be improved, we will improve it and than you'll be able to download those corrections for free. What? Voiceovers are crap? Hell, we will re-record them for ya..."

we all lubz CD Projekt ^_^

Seboss

Liturgist
I want to stab people in the eye each time someone goes with the "we don't care Fallout 3 doesn't implement this/that or doesn't do this/that right because neither does the competition" argument.
Highway to mediocrity baby!

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Grey said:
Crolug said:
Mareus said:

we all lubz CD Projekt ^_^

Yeah they are on my day one BUY list even if i have to start learning Polish and import things.

Plus i think i will make a shrine for them right besides my Troika shrine

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Ok, let's say you are right and that majority of devs are mostly in the buisness because of passion, but how come the gaming is constantly declining in quality?

I've highlighted where you went wrong. You're trying to prove something objective based on subjective opinion.

You're implying that someone can't have had passion for developing their game if you don't like their game.

Your subjective measure of entertainment received from the product is not a valid indicator of the amount of passion/devotion the developer of a product put into it.

Mareus

Magister
Naked Ninja said:
I've highlighted where you went wrong. You're trying to prove something objective based on subjective opinion.
I am not being subjective when it comes to decline of gaming, my friend. Modern RPGs suck not because I say so, but because they are dumbed down. There is more than enough proof for that on these boards.

Naked Ninja said:
You're implying that someone can't have had passion for developing their game if you don't like their game.
No, I am implying that someone who dumbs down their games and hopes for the modding community to fix it is certainly not passionate about their game, but is in it for the money. CDProjekt fixed their game for free, and that is passionate for me. Bethseda made you pay for every addon they made, and then again made you pay for the whole package and they actually went to make a broken game just so they could earn more money. That they are capable of making a far better game, you have proof in Morrowind. It is obvious they betrayed their own franchise just so they could earn more money, and they defend themselves with it's not feasable to make oldschool games anymore?! WTF?! What more proof do you want?

Naked Ninja said:
Your subjective measure of entertainment received from the product is not a valid indicator of the amount of passion/devotion the developer of a product put into it.
My subjective measure is certainly not a valid indicator of the passion devoted to the game, but the quality of the game compared with it's predecessor certainly is.

Derek Larp

Cipher
Yeah, fucking capitalism ruined gaming. Evil, greedy marketing suits destroyed ma RPG oh noes.

Oooohhh Waaaahhh Fallout is raped by Bethesda uhuhuhuuuuuu!!!! The free market is to blame!!!!! We want Troika back!!!! We want Black Isle back!!!! WE WANT COMMUNISM BACK!!!!!!! Waahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Nobody still maeks gems liek fallout anymore becose of money!!!!!!!

Stop whining and make them yourselves.

Mareus

Magister
Derek Larp said:
....snip

Actually I am making one and it will be an open source project. L'art pour l'art my friend.

Seboss

Liturgist
Derek Larp said:
If I was given a $1 each time somebody told me that.

- "Wassup buddy?"
- "Ah, well, my brand new fancy car is not so good. Bad gas mileage, lots of breakdown and the manufacturer won't admit its faults"
- "THEN GO BUILD YOU OWN FUCKING CAR WHINER!!1!!!!1"

elander_

Arbiter
Is anyone interested in buying my post apocalyptic game? It's called The Vault. You are a Vault Dweller who lives by assaulting other people vaults. It's still in development phase. In fact i started it just now. :cool:

Shannow

Waster of Time
elander_ said:
Is anyone interested in buying my post apocalyptic game? It's called The Vault. You are a Vault Dweller who lives by assaulting other people vaults. It's still in development phase. In fact i started it just now. :cool:
How much? I'll pay a thousand Zimbabwe Dollars if it is at least half as good as recent troll attempts by braindead mouth-breathers.

Will it combine elements from Depths of Peril, Hinterland, FO3 and Pac-Man?

Seboss

Liturgist
If you got Rip Taylor as the main character's dad, I'm totally sold.

elander_

Arbiter
Shannow said:
Will it combine elements from Depths of Peril, Hinterland, FO3 and Pac-Man?

Pac-Man is not TB so i will use Pong instead (which is obviously TB).

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The French said:
Secondment from the original gameplay from previous Fallout, bethesda tries to impose it as an action RPG, as Oblivion. I can not guarantee that this will be a good fallout… or even a good game at all.

Time to move to Paris.

Longshanks

Augur
Naked Ninja said:
Oh give it a rest. Few devs work in the games industry out of anything but passion, you can make far more money and work far saner hours in traditional software development. For all but a tiny (less than 1%) of developers, they sacrifice for the opportunity to do what they are passionate about.
You work in software development right? Possibly even know people who've gone into games development? Then you know that less than 1% is at best a gross exaggeration. And the "anything but passion" is entirely ridiculous.

Limit your comments to the well qualified, higher up devs, with significant design input and creative influence, and you'd be closer to the mark. But still, inventing ratios out of nowhere is just :roll:.

Shannow

Waster of Time
elander_ said:
Pac-Man is not TB so i will use Pong instead (which is obviously TB).
Of course. I thought you could use Pac-Man as a lockpicking mini-game, Space Invaders as a dialogue-mini-game. Pong, since it is TB, would be reserved for combat.
But are you sure, you want to make an RPG? A new CoD5 would be a lot better with those elements and iso grapgics, don't you think?
Ah, but I don't want to impose on your creative process.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom