Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News More on Sacred's gore in the US

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Encore Software; Sacred

Per <A href="http://www.ascaron-forum.com//showflat.php?Cat=&Board=GenQ&Number=29641&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=2">this thread</a> on <A href="http://www.ascaron-forum.com/">Ascaron's forums</a>, it looks as if the deal with gore in <A href="http://www.ascaron.com/gb/gb_sacred/index.html">Sacred</a>'s United States version has indeed been chopped out. Here's the important post:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>In response to your question about "Blood and gore":
<br>
<br>
Our partner Encore wanted to get a 12+ rating for Sacred and they did.
<br>
We will do nothing to endanger the rating or the distribution policy of Encore in the US. I think this is quite understandable.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I'm still not sure why they'd even want to tone down the gore in the United States market. We Americans love our blood and guts. Here's a <A href="http://sacred.planet-multiplayer.de/artworks/screenshots/screen115.jpg">great screenshot</a> of what I want!
<br>

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I've never underdstood that. Someone must have some numbers howing that teens buy a lot of games. Wow. Here I am thinking they were always poor.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm guessing it's poison, but I have to damned idea how you could create that much of a mess with a poisony bow.

You know, I was completely uninterested in the Wood Elf character until I found out they can summon critters and do all their stuff from horseback. If I can stay on a fast horse, I don't mind using ranged.

Anonymous

Encore-man: The Sacred fans have spoken:

PUT IN THE BLOOD AND GUTS!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
With any luck someone will make a user-made fix to implement (or enable, assuming it's only disabled in some setting in some file) the blood and gore into the game.

Anonymous

Cant they do a parental-lock thingimajig instead of editing everything out?

dagamer667

Liturgist
If there one thing that pisses me off, it's games that get cut up to fit some arbitrary ratings.

crench

Novice
Driven to loot.

That sucks ass. Haven't they ever heard of an 'gore setting' like in FO2, or a parental lock for fock's sake? I was all set to shell out the dough for this baby but now me-thinks I'll be raising the Jolly Roger and sailing upon the file-sharing seas. :evil:

"Yargh! I'll not be paying full price for half a game!" (Unless I can get the UK ver. for the same price. :lol: )

DIPthong

Novice
Re: Driven to loot.

crench said:
That sucks ass. Haven't they ever heard of an 'gore setting' like in FO2, or a parental lock for fock's sake? I was all set to shell out the dough for this baby but now me-thinks I'll be raising the Jolly Roger and sailing upon the file-sharing seas. :evil:

"Yargh! I'll not be paying full price for half a game!" (Unless I can get the UK ver. for the same price. :lol: )

Yes, because besides the fact that you may have to go the extra yard and download a 1mb (at most) hack to fix the problem, it is TOTALLY worth pirating what could be one of the most innovative hack-n-slash RPGs we've seen in years, thus helping to ensure others won't be made because of pirate assholes. :roll:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The thing that gets me is that the marketting/sales gurus think that because Diablo and BG sold so well, real time is the best combat system evar. However, they don't look at the fact that Doom 2 is one of the biggest selling games, Diablo and Diablo 2 sold like hotcakes, and Grand Theft Auto 3 is doing pretty damned good as well. I just fail to see how having a mature rating really hurts a game's sales.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Who knows how these people think. I know for a fact that many parents buy their 13yr old kids bloody games, and most of the time, the guys at Electronics Boutique dont care about age anyway.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
anyone know a good UK site that will accept pre-orders from the USA??
Amazon UK won't, the fuckers-

dagamer667

Liturgist
Re: Driven to loot.

crench said:

Exactly. 50 bucks should get the whole game. Not half a game. I guess the dimwits at ESRB don't count the violence locks. I guess we shouldn't be surprised with so many people not knowing their ass from their elbow when it comes to computers.

Astromarine

Erudite
from the threads in Ascaron's forums, it appears that gogamer.com will be importing the UK version into the States.

DIPthong

Novice
Astromarine said:
from the threads in Ascaron's forums, it appears that gogamer.com will be importing the UK version into the States.

Ok then, so none of you have any reason to be 31337 and w4r3z the game. GoGamer is great for stuff like this, I bought Gothic II and Silent Storm from them MONTHS before they were officially released here in the states.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Just because one jerkwad says he's gonna pirate the game doesn't mean the rest of us feel the same. I personally intend to buy the game, but I can guarantee you I'll ask my friend to order the uncensored version for me.

I can pull someone out of their car, beat the crap out of them, get in the car, and run the person over in GTA3. I can sneak up behind a guy, put a plastic bag over his head, and watch him gasping for breath in livid detail as he dies in Manhunt. Yet for some reason the fucks at Encore think I can't stand the site of blood? :roll:

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I order most of my games from the UK as well, usually they are released there earlier and there's not much difference in price either, shipping included.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom