Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind enchanting

Severian Silk

oRYIl1G.jpg

I have a sword and a soul gem. I also have spells in my inventory. Why am I unable to enchant?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Severian Silk

I didn't realize you have to buy spells. I thought that having a scroll in inventory would be enough. Now I have to find some good spells. Some of the Mage Guild NPCs won't sell to me until I have high rank, though. I don't see NPCs selling many offensive spells yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Severian Silk

For a weapon with "Cast when Strikes", should I select "on Touch" or "on Target"?

DraQ

Arcane
For a weapon with "Cast when Strikes", should I select "on Touch" or "on Target"?
Most of the time on touch, but in some cases, especially with reach weapons, on target will work better. A subtle difference is that on target actually spawns the projectile when attacking something and this projectile does the usual projectile stuff.
Of course "on target" is also inefficient in terms of bang/buck/EP.

And never enchant bows/xbows with "Cast when Strikes" as they, logically, never strike their target.

Space Insect

Arcane
I didn't realize you have to buy spells. I thought that having a scroll in inventory would be enough. Now I have to find some good spells. Some of the Mage Guild NPCs won't sell to me until I have high rank, though. I don't see NPCs selling many offensive spells yet.
The store in Seyda Neen sells some basic offensive spells.

Severian Silk

Don't enchant.
It breaks the game (no, not bugs, it's just not balanced at all).
It's too late! I have already enchanted. I guess I will have to suffer through the game with enchantment now...

The store in Seyda Neen sells some basic offensive spells.
Yes, I found someone who sells them. Thanks!

DraQ

Arcane
Don't enchant.
It breaks the game (no, not bugs, it's just not balanced at all).
  • It's costly so if you can afford anything gamebreaking you've presumably broken the game already.
  • Most potentially gamebreaking stuff is too hard to self-enchant without exploits.
  • Constant Effects in particular require 80pt souls or better which aren't easily obtainable.
  • IIRC "machinegun" spam of cast when used enchantments has been blocked by MCP and even back when it was possible it wasn't strictly superior option to natural casting (though it was insanely powerful)
  • An arguably broken thing you can enchant easily, even on your own is
    bound weapon on self when strikes - preferably on lightweight chitin weapon
  • Drain 100pt agility on touch/target when strikes, preferably on heavy blunt weapon
    is also fun and relatively easy

Space Insect

Arcane
If you get bored of walking everywhere, you can always get a ring of constant effect levitation. Or if you have lots of money and want an even better way to travel, youcould get a ring of jumping.

DraQ

Arcane
If you get bored of walking everywhere, you can always get a ring of constant effect levitation. Or if you have lots of money and want an even better way to travel, youcould get a ring of jumping.
CE levitation is going to cost you more (because CE) without giving you nearly as much speed.

1s 1pt levitation, 2s 100pt jump + 2s of as much speed, feather, and strength as possible crammed into any remaining EPs is where it's at.
You first cast it while taking a running start and jump as soon as the levitation runs out, if necessary cast it once more when above the target if you need to cut your travel short and finally cast it when you're about to impact the ground to land safely (unless you're landing in deep water - shallow water is bad, even if the impact doesn't kill you, it will knock the air out of your lungs and you'll immediately start to drown).

You may also put 1pt CE slowfall on something without good capacity, like a pauldron, to forget about any falling damage, but I think it might negatively affect the range.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
since i have better things to do with my time than run or float up and down the vivec cantons i would if it was available.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Bethesda must've realized Enchantment is borked, that's why they hid away the master trainer and made him hostile in case you managed to find him.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Isn't it possible to just self enchant with mark/recall and intervention

DraQ

Arcane
Isn't it possible to just self enchant with mark/recall and intervention
Well, yeah it is possible, but I personally like using non-mundane methods of travel, like leaping over mountains.
Plus, leaping over mountains lets you get to any outdoor location.
Intervention is great if you want quick trip to the nearest town or fort, recall is great if you want quick return to the place you have previously marked (like questgiver, your home or currently explored dungeon - together with intervention it makes a nice Town Portal analogue), but they won't let you go to an arbitrary, even unexplored location. Ballistic jumping will.

Severian Silk

I want to apply an absorb health enchant and paralyze enchant to a steel katana, on strike.

Which size soul gem do I need, and how many times can I strike this weapon before it runs out of juice?

I don't understand how this works well.

DraQ

Arcane
I want to apply an absorb health enchant and paralyze enchant to a steel katana, on strike.

Which size soul gem do I need, and how many times can I strike this weapon before it runs out of juice?

I don't understand how this works well.
Soul determines juice, soulgem determines max size of the soul it can store, item determines enchant capacity.
For steel katana you can probably forget anything more intensive.
Mundane materials generally enchant poorly, so they are better for lightweight "smart" enchantments, than powering through with extra damage, absorb health or paralysis (all expensive, especially paralysis).

All the relevant information is displayed in the enchanting UI, though so maybe you should just try a simpler game?

Severian Silk

All the relevant information is displayed in the enchanting UI, though so maybe you should just try a simpler game?
That's odd, because there is very little text in the menu at all.

DraQ

Arcane
That's odd, because there is very little text in the menu at all.
Enchantment:
Cast cost:
Charge:

The moment you start fiddling around with different souls, items and enchantments, it should become clear.
Do you really need a tutorial for every single gameplay mechanics?

Severian Silk

Downloaded the manual which explained it in simpler terms than the wiki.

Question: if you summon a creature do you still get the XP for whatever it kills?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom