Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind

It's a well-known fact that the game often becomes too easy half-way through. Is there a mod to fix that in an unobtrusive way, without breaking the early-game balance? If the problem is the amount of magical armor pieces, perhaps a mod that makes them much more difficult to find.

Also, is there anything else that needs unofficial fixing in the game? I want it to be as vanilla as possible, only without the fun-breakers.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Barrow_Bug said:
Barrow_Bug said:
racofer said:
This thread makes me wanna

2yzizp3.gif

It's more than just magical armor. There are of course the many insanely powerful weapons, rings and other garments, being able to eventually make potions so potent that just a couple turn you strong/fast/tough enough to roll over anything in your path, an utterly broken and exploitable enchanting/spell-making system, etc.

If you use mods that actually add competent companions, it gets even worse.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't know about any mod that makes the game harder, but something that adds a few levels to Dagoth Ur and some powerful creatures beyond Ghostfence might help.

It's not just equipment and exploits, by the time you reach level 30 or so, you can defeat everything while being naked and using a really shitty weapon.

JarlFrank said:
I don't know about any mod that makes the game harder, but something that adds a few levels to Dagoth Ur and some powerful creatures beyond Ghostfence might help.

It's not just equipment and exploits, by the time you reach level 30 or so, you can defeat everything while being naked and using a really shitty weapon.

Save for un-modded HTH, of course. Even with a godly character, it took forever for me to knock that one NPC out in Bloodmoon by punching him for story purposes. I reloaded an earlier save and killed him in various ways as revenge.

I'll try Morrowind Advanced...

Some loot lists have been toned down to provide more of a challenge in locating powerful equipment.
...together with Galsiah's Character Development mod.

skill gain is slowed down exponentially to preserve game balance.
Should help a little bit. (v. 1.08 is the latest I found.)

There's also a fairly recent Code Patch and update of Unofficial Morrowind Patch.

And the mod that allows you to start at different locations sounds like lots of fun.

(And Tamriel Rebuilt has two large locations completed, which I may end up adding as well.)

Strict level-scaling has its positive aspect, to be sure. Let me finish my cup of white wine, and the evening salad. Yum yum. Now, the fact is, Oblivion is still too easy, except, perhaps, on hard. But climbing on gate frames and other supposedly unreachable places becomes tiring after a while. I wish there were a mod like Galsiah's for TES: Arena. That's a game I'd like to continue playing.

Liberal

Barely Literate
I played a full mage with no warrior skills to speak of. As soon as he got enough mana to cast 100+ elemental damage spells, the game became too easy. The only bane were monsters with reflection, which killed my low-hp character immediately. Before that combat mostly consisted of running for my life dodging spells and darts, cursing my lack of mana potions. Which was fun.

So the problem probably lies in how Morrowind allocates damage dealt by the PC. Since the enemies are clumsy lumps of flesh which do not defend themselves at all, it's not at all difficult to buy a powerful weapon/spell and keep hacking/shooting.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Paula Tormeson IV said:
But climbing on gate frames and other supposedly unreachable places becomes tiring after a while.
Well, then you should work on training your Constitution so your fatigue is high and train your Strength so you can climb better.

DraQ

Arcane
I never really played with GCD (due to some unwelcome side effects when combined with some of my other mods), but heard only good things about it.

I do recommend MCP for general game health and Wakim's Game Improvements modular, for things like fixing imba spell effects (for example - feather is as expensive as fortify strength, magicka-wise, yet yields only fifth of it's carry weight bonus and doesn't improve damage).

Other than that I've been using something called Adul's Advanced Combat.
It's a relatively simple modular mod aiming for improving the combat without really altering it's base mechanics. There are several modules adding things like skill dependent crits (done in a bit simplistic manner, by causing random strength spikes via script - a welcome side effect is that it allows slow "creeping" while overencumbered - you won't get anywhwere this way, but it helps if you have to loot several crates or corpses in your immediate vicinity), damage dependent attribute draining and such, bleeding, etc.
The effect of those modifications is that it's suddenly really easy to die, even on higher levels, so while you won't become any less powerful at level 25 with this mod, you may get one-hitted by some lowly pest if you're not careful.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Paula Tormeson IV said:
It's a well-known fact that the game often becomes too easy half-way through. Is there a mod to fix that in an unobtrusive way, without breaking the early-game balance? If the problem is the amount of magical armor pieces, perhaps a mod that makes them much more difficult to find.

If you are asking about mod that would add a wall of text and make it more difficult because it would require actual reading, then no I didn't see any such mod. You should be happy it's happening between dark elves, which means you evaded horror of government permission n. 120a, and other horrors of imperial bureaucracy. Remember you escaped fairly simply just by writing three documents in 15 minutes, then you were released between dark elves...

I suspect they killed bureaucrats in Oblivion, and infiltrated the government from inside. Dark elves streamlined empire bureaucracy by applying dagger on a empire bureaucrat's necks, and then because they were only ones who were able to govern the empire without bureaucracy, they took control over the empire.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
I do recommend MCP
Code Patch is great because it allows you to pick and choose and nicely splits its changes into "fixes" and "tweaks". I never use the tweaks and only some of the fixes but the patch generally improves the stability of my games and at least gets completely rid of save game corruptions. In a game the size of Morrowind that one thing alone is worth it.

CrimHead

Scholar
The second biggest city in the game. Not to mention that's where your initial quest-giver is located.

roll-a-die

Magister
I remember sadrith mora fondly.

Balmora was the second largest city and was harder to get lost in than vivec.

I like vivec better though, sweetums. Now take off your blouse.

Liberal

Barely Literate
roll-a-die said:
I like vivec simply for http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Crassius_Curio

He's fucking awesome. He wrote the lusty argonian maid and the dance of the three lagged gaur. He also forces you to strip whether you are male or female. He is a pervert to be admired.
He just asked a little kiss from my male Altmer, no stripping. I wonder why...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom