Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowisms

Lord Chambers

Erudite
I've been delighted by some of the witty phrases used to describe aspects of Morrowind on these forums. Where in the past I belabored to explain these concepts to vapid-eyed fanboys, now should such a discussion arise I feel like I can quickly illustrate the flawed mechanics with phases like this:

Morrowind is like playing an MMORPG alone.
Morrowind's dialoge system is wikipedia.
Morrowind is a fabulous hiking simulator.

The extent of my wit was to say that Morrowind is an RPG because it gives you the choice between playing two different characters: Artefact Hunter and his close friend Guild Leader.

What have you said or heard that's clever?

Chefe

Erudite
Why can't you just spell "Artefact" like "Artifact"?

Or is this another one of them "lolz I'm going to put u in rumour and colour and armour because I am teh classy" things?

Stella Brando

Arcane
Chefe said:
Or is this another one of them "lolz I'm going to put u in rumour and colour and armour because I am teh classy" things?

It's called 'spelling', Yankee. Get with the programme.

Fodel

Novice
Calis' picks for must-play CRPGs of 2002

Many have lauded this game's accomplishments, and deservedly so. Its predecessor, Daggerfall, was a mixed bag. It offered a similar kind of freedom, but was plagued by bugs and a general feeling of pointlessness. Morrowind offers a huge, breathing game world with gorgeous graphics and a whole lot to do. On top of it all, the game is very, very mod-able which adds to the fun. Of course the game isn't perfect: interface flaws, steep system requirements and a less than perfect dialogue system all detract from the fun. The fact still remains, however, that Morrowind is without a doubt one of the most amazing accomplishments of the year.

Mistress' picks for must-play CRPGs of 2002

Probably a more obvious choice than my first two, Morrowind is a game that, for me, both promised and delivered. It is by no means perfect, but it is definitely impressive. In sharp contrast to my other choices, Morrowind comes complete with stunning graphics, but past that is an immersive world, full of things to do. So full in fact, that I am still playing, as no doubt are many others. The combat could be better, the dialogue system could be greatly improved, and I could certainly use a more powerful PC to go with it, but I still often lose an afternoon or two wandering around this vast game.

Exitium's picks for must-play CRPGs of 2002

If there was one word for which to describe Morrowind best, that word would have to be 'alive'. Morrowind is a game that comes close to fulfilling my vision of a simulation of a real political world, filled with real geopolitics, real rivalries and real outcomes to decisions made by the player. That very aspect of being 'alive' would also cover the atmosphere in the game's well designed environments, its inhabitants and the plethora of events that come to shape the game's evolving world. As with all things fair, I must say that Morrowind is by no means perfect, but it does an outstanding effort at making the attempt.

Great game. :D

Data4

Arcane
Fodel said:
Exitium's picks for must-play CRPGs of 2002

If there was one word for which to describe Morrowind best, that word would have to be 'alive'. Morrowind is a game that comes close to fulfilling my vision of a simulation of a real political world, filled with real geopolitics, real rivalries and real outcomes to decisions made by the player. That very aspect of being 'alive' would also cover the atmosphere in the game's well designed environments, its inhabitants and the plethora of events that come to shape the game's evolving world. As with all things fair, I must say that Morrowind is by no means perfect, but it does an outstanding effort at making the attempt.

Great game. :D

God damn, I wish I'd played THAT game. Maybe we all got the wrong Morrowind...?

-D4

Spazmo

Erudite
Well, that was Mistress (fired), Rex (double plus fired EXTREME) and Calis (Dutch and stoned out of his skull).

Lumpy

Arcane
I agree with Mistress and Calis. Sol's review is idiotic though.

HardCode

Erudite
Blahblah Talks said:
Give a man Morrowind, and he'll hike for a day. Teach a man to mod Morrowind, and he'll make a completely different hiking game.

Fixed.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
I reckon Exitium flatters it a bit with the "alive" part, but Calis and Mistress are more or less right on the money. The graphics were good for it's time, good sound, big world to explore with lots to do (well, caves and shrines to deprive of lifeforms, but still), and it was one of the better RPGs of 2002.

Only thing I disagree with is the bit about how you can play it for a long time, I had to put it away after two weeks of light playing, due to it being so repetitive. Tried again later, but hit the wall of boredom again after a few weeks.

Oh, and what's the difference between Morrowind and a juicebox?

Answer: A hair-transplant.

crufty

Arcane
I liked Morrowind. But I can't remember if I got to the endgame, or if I just watched a video of someone else getting to the endgame. Which, I guess, says it all.

Chefe

Erudite
It had a great first impression, but I too quit after a week or so due to sheer boredom.

Total letdown.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom