Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowisms

Solik

Scholar
I enjoyed it immensely, particularly when I started applying mods (that's what caused me to replay it with various other characters). Standard game as-shipped was rather shallow, but strong moddability really makes a game last these days.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The only good memory I have of playing Morrowind was stepping out of the first village and going onfoot to Balmora, and along the way it started turning into night and I saw the night sky and the stars, and then experienced dawn and a storm started assaulting the land, while the music swelled and became very memorable and heroic. I remember feeling, "Wow, I'm exploring this muthafucka world! Look at those mushrooms!", until sadly, inevitably, I realized that's all there was to the game. There were no interesting people to talk to, no interesting combat to engage in and beforelong even the graphics started losing their charm and appeal, and the character's misshapen heads and features became grotesque reflections of my own bitter disappointment in the game.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
My second try through Morrowind was with a ton of mods, including hundreds of MBs of new textures, models, creatures and what have you, but it's still the same game, with the same boring quests and the same dull people restating the same old phrases. Same shit, different wrapping.

Sisay

Liturgist
Speaking of Morrowind, anyone happen to have a direct quote on the Xbox people being unable to find Caius Cosades? All I've found is this quote regarding the quest compass in the second fan interview:

It's a lifesaver to us and everyone who has played it. We should have done it long ago. We use it to show you where a goal is when we want you to know about it. A good example is the first quest in Morrowind, to find the Spymaster in Balmora. Most people who played Morrowind never find him, because they don't like to read directions, they get confused and lost. Now picture him roaming around town, going to the store, eating at the tavern, locking his house at night.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Of course you couldn't possibly catch the Spymaster actually... I don't know, spying? Yeah, you'll catch him at the 360 Market Place buying poisoned apples.

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
I didn't enjoy Morrowind. I bought the game and spent the first few hours wandering around some swamp, not really sure of where I was supposed to be going or what I was supposed to be doing. I gave it a few days but for some reason I lost interest quite rapidly. I knew there was a great game in there somewhere, I just couldn't be bothered to find it. I was actually taking exams at the time of its release so this might've had something to do with me not having the time to really get into it, but it's too far back for me to remember now.

Anyway, I tried again a few months ago but the graphics repulsed me and I gave up quickly.

HardCode

Erudite
Sylvanus said:
Sadly, some people are actually NOT roleplaying the part of the big dumb barbarian. Actually, turn that "some" into "most."

Right. The target audience has the intelligence of a big, dumb barbarian, and they want to roleplay an ub3r-l33t FigherMageThiefAssassin with full Daedric armorz and teh awesum Daedric sowrdz.

Kuato

Liturgist
Lord Chambers said:
I've been delighted by some of the witty phrases used to describe aspects of Morrowind on these forums. Where in the past I belabored to explain these concepts to vapid-eyed fanboys, now should such a discussion arise I feel like I can quickly illustrate the flawed mechanics with phases like this:

Morrowind is like playing an MMORPG alone.
Morrowind's dialoge system is wikipedia.
Morrowind is a fabulous hiking simulator.

The extent of my wit was to say that Morrowind is an RPG because it gives you the choice between playing two different characters: Artefact Hunter and his close friend Guild Leader.

What have you said or heard that's clever?

Morrowind is also to a large exent Big Game Cliff Racer Hunter

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
Morrowind is crack to OCD people who like to arrange tiny objects in houses.

Morrowind is pretty sunrises and sunsets

Morrowind is naked barbarian jokes

Morrowind is actually Vvardenfall

Morrowind is powergaming

Morrowind is an FPS where a good shot makes no difference

Morrowind is Jurassic Park 4

Morrowind is a klepto's playground

That's it for now.

Nog Robbin

Scholar
Zinc said:
I didn't enjoy Morrowind. I bought the game and spent the first few hours wandering around some swamp, not really sure of where I was supposed to be going or what I was supposed to be doing. I gave it a few days but for some reason I lost interest quite rapidly.

Can't help feeling that listening to what you were told, and then delivering that thing called "Package for Cauis Cossades" to Caius Cossades would have helped. It's not that hard - surely?

Still - in Oblivion you can be saved by the magical GPS Quest Compass. Praise the lord - the new game is developed for people just like you! :D

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
I'm open to criticism, so long as it's constructive.

kris

Arcane
It seem you guys all loved the game compared to me, "played it lightly for a week" and such comments. I tried to play it over two days, but lost interest when I discovered that it lacked personality, something I can't take in a game anymore. Second day I franctically looked for some character or quest that would engage me, something in the world that I felt I could change or that made it feel alive.

Fodel

Novice
and the same dull people restating the same old phrases

Try the LGNPC mod, only the LGNPC-Seyda Neen give new dialog every npcs and a nice social quest.

with the same boring quests

Try the quests of the Seekers, Iluminated Order or Twin Lamps.

but it's still the same game

Yes, is a crpg with a huge world to explore, with a rich, complex and deep lore, and a simple but fine character creation to roleplay differents pjs, also MW has not the plot and the writtings of Torment, has not the combat system of Prelude and of course, has not the roleplay of Fallout.

[/i]

Fodel

Novice
and the same dull people restating the same old phrases

Try the LGNPC mod, only the LGNPC-Seyda Neen give new dialog every npcs and a nice social quest.

with the same boring quests

Try the quests of the Seekers, Iluminated Order or Twin Lamps.

but it's still the same game

Yes, is a crpg with a huge world to explore, with a rich, complex and deep lore, and a simple but fine character creation to roleplay differents pjs, also MW has not the plot and the writtings of Torment, has not the combat system of Prelude and of course, has not the roleplay of Fallout.

Balor

Arcane
There are mods that add toilets? :lol:
Even I, in my realism-zeal, never pondered addition of them, heh.

Voltare

Liturgist
heh

first thing my wife asked when she tried playing it " where do these people shit at? the middle of the streets?"

Section8

Cipher
That's the first thing my wife asks whenever I introduce her to anyone. That's why I pretend she doesn't exist whenever I'm in a social setting.

bryce777

Erudite
aweigh said:
The only good memory I have of playing Morrowind was stepping out of the first village and going onfoot to Balmora, and along the way it started turning into night and I saw the night sky and the stars, and then experienced dawn and a storm started assaulting the land, while the music swelled and became very memorable and heroic. I remember feeling, "Wow, I'm exploring this muthafucka world! Look at those mushrooms!", until sadly, inevitably, I realized that's all there was to the game. There were no interesting people to talk to, no interesting combat to engage in and beforelong even the graphics started losing their charm and appeal, and the character's misshapen heads and features became grotesque reflections of my own bitter disappointment in the game.

That's the most beautiful thing I ever heard.

Voltare

Liturgist
what was wrong with morrowind

here's what was wrong with morrowind:

Let's say for the sake of arguement that you are in a house.Your objective is to get outside.

The best "free-form" idea is to let you explore the house,open all the cabinets, rifle through the drawers,sleep in the beds, watch the tv,and talk to the people inside, intertact with the cats and dogs , play with the pc or console thing etc. and then pick when you want to go outside,and whether you want to use the front door, the back door, a window, or even the chimney to do so.

Morrowind and some other modern "rpg's" only let you do part of the first part, before shoving you out the front door.

( edit: just posted this on the ESf.....see how long it , or I, lasts there)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom