Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Mortal Kombat 11

Silva

Arcane
So, just got this on a sale. What are the most noob-friendly chars? Last MK I've played was the first one on an arcade, and I was bad at it.

I used to like Sub-zero.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Sub-Zero is really easy to learn, Scorpion as well. Jade is also fairly simple to grasp.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Just bring back this female designs you cowards

dcqvypb-61af77cd-c36f-4ffb-9be3-f859420765ee.png

Generic-Giant-Spider

The women are pretty ugly in MK11 though. Even the facial models they used are way prettier than their in-game versions. If I was the model for Frost I'd be fucking livid that they turned me into Joffrey Baratheon.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
No, I mean it literally, I think that might actually be a model from this specific, real guy who does rule 34 on MK. It wasn't a theoretical situation :p But yeah, they ruined my waifu, Sindel.

Silva

Arcane
Lol that Jade vid is embarrassingly bad. I'm glad MK11 looks good and sober. Fuck you grognards and your Cult of Silliness.

By the way, got the Amerindian dude. After a handful towers to learn some fundamentals, I tried online matches. Beat a couple opponents with basic space management and almost no combos. The adversaries managed to throw some pretty combos at me but they were awful in everything else.

Is there a character who performs well without the need for those insane combos? Is it viable? It would fit my style more.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Skarlet is good for that too, pretty much any zoner type (a fighter who tries to 'lock you down' from afar and control space) will suffice. Shang Tsung is my personal favorite, you can even play him with more of a rushdown style if you go his all ninja variation but he's better suited for zoning. Cetrion is also good and has good mixups/staggers if people close in on you.

Again, Jade is also very easy to pick up and learn. I'm assuming you're playing ranked, so Jade's first variation is the more zone heavy one and the nice thing about Jade is she can put on a purple aura to be immune to enemy projectiles and even has a high-attack-only parry which you can use to destroy certain characters like Shao Kahn (who has many of his combo strings start with highs).

Silva

Arcane
Skarlet is good for that too, pretty much any zoner type (a fighter who tries to 'lock you down' from afar and control space) will suffice. Shang Tsung is my personal favorite, you can even play him with more of a rushdown style if you go his all ninja variation but he's better suited for zoning. Cetrion is also good and has good mixups/staggers if people close in on you.

Again, Jade is also very easy to pick up and learn. I'm assuming you're playing ranked, so Jade's first variation is the more zone heavy one and the nice thing about Jade is she can put on a purple aura to be immune to enemy projectiles and even has a high-attack-only parry which you can use to destroy certain characters like Shao Kahn (who has many of his combo strings start with highs).
Skarlet, Tsung and Jade. Noted.

Two more questions:

1) What are the character "types" or classes? I get that "Zoner" are long range skirmishers ok. What else is there? I saw a SonicFox dude playing a nigga lady on YouTube that spanked people in the corner in a way that made me breathless only by watching. What class is her, "Bully"? Lol

2) Am I right to infer that there's no super specialization here in the same way there is in, say, Street Fighter? I mean, even the "Zoners" here are somewhat competent in melee too and shouldn't rely 100% on projectiles?

Generic-Giant-Spider

1) What are the character "types" or classes? I get that "Zoner" are long range skirmishers ok. What else is there? I saw a SonicFox dude playing a nigga lady on YouTube that spanked people in the corner in a way that made me breathless only by watching. What class is her, "Bully"? Lol

In fighting games the most common archetypes/specializations you'll see are:

Rushdown - These are typically the 'combo monsters' of the game. They are pretty much about being in your face, hitting often and fast, and just generally overwhelming. Rushdown characters tend to have good recovery on their combo strings or will have very good mix-ups (which basically means they can make you block low, or high and hope you guess wrong). In MK11 Jacqui Briggs (probably the nigga lady you were referring to), Liu Kang and Sonya are very competent at this.

Zoners - As mentioned above, they like to control space generally. There are some minor differences though. Some characters really enjoy keeping opponents away, because if a Jacqui gets in your face and you're a Skarlet then you'll be in trouble. Some zoners like Shang Tsung have very decent combo strings that can mix people up and catch them off guard. Some zoners like Jade are also versatile in that they can play just outside the sweep range since their normals have outrageously good range. If you ever played Dhalsim or Vega in Street Fighter then you'll get what I'm saying here.

Grapplers - The big thing with these guys is that they love to put people into unblockable grabs and toss them around. Tend to be big, slower characters that hit like bricks if they can run roughshod. They can be a bit more strategic to play because you need to look for your openings. In MK11 (or any NRS fighting game) the command grab input looks like this: v < > followed by a face button. Command grabs are very good if you do something called 'tick throwing.' It's where you force an opponent to block a normal punch or kick and while doing this you input the command grab and snatch them immediately. It's also important to note that in MK especially your hurtbox gets bigger when crouch blocking and can make tick throwing really vicious when mastered. In MK11 there aren't any true grapplers, but ones that come closest would be Kano with his Lumbar Check, Terminator, and in some cases Jax. If you've ever played the Injustice games then Bane is a better example and of course Zangief/Hugo from Street Fighter.

Am I right to infer that there's no super specialization here in the same way there is in, say, Street Fighter? I mean, even the "Zoners" here are somewhat competent in melee too and shouldn't rely 100% on projectiles?

Yeah you'd be right, but certain matches might call for on the fly changes. If I'm playing Noob Saibot and I see the opponent chose Baraka then I'm going to go with his Seeing Double variation because the Low Shadow Slide will make my strings safe and let me play a more careful match. I know Noob doesn't have the best combo starters and if Baraka gets going he'll shred my lifebar in seconds, so you have to kind of play accordingly.

Some zoners like Cetrion and Shang Tsung have very good combo strings and it's always good to know what to do if you're ever closed in on. The thing with zoning is you want to be just as unpredictable and frustrate the shit out of people. If you ever see someone stand fullscreen and not moving then that means they're probably beating their children in rage. That means you've taken their soul and you always want to achieve this. But if somebody does get by your obstacle course, try to remember combos that have good pushback, or hit low/overhead.

Another big thing to remember in MK11 is your crushing blows. Skarlet for example has two on both her throws. That's 31% free damage if the opponent guesses wrong on an escape. In fact, get used to that throw button if you're playing slower characters.

And a free tip: if you see combos that ask you to hit two buttons at once (X+A on XBox or Square+X on PS4) you can just hit the throw button instead since it's the same thing.

Silva

Arcane
Thanks, Tarantulos-Eduardo-Sanchez. Nice rundown of the game there.

Are Krushing Blows activated by pressing and holding the button after specific conditions (for each fighter) are met? If so, no thanks, I'll leave it on auto.

I've tried Black Cultist dude to see what you were taking about and, indeed, his "Config 1" specials open up space between you and the opponent (that ground slide is sick), while his Config2 apparently makes him better at bullying people with combos (because of the boosted teleport)? He doesn't look like a full Zoner or Rusher in neither Config though. More like an Hybrid that can focus on different ranges through his Cofigs. Makes sense?

I think I'm starting to see the game's subtleties here.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Are Krushing Blows activated by pressing and holding the button after specific conditions (for each fighter) are met? If so, no thanks, I'll leave it on auto.

So there's an option you can put on that lets you hold down the button to activate the krushing blow, the purpose of this is to give you more control over when you want to use it. If you have a KB that activates when an opponent is counter hit but they're at like 10% life, you would want to not waste all that free damage unless it was the winning round where it doesn't matter. It's more of a choice or preference. I tend to keep it on auto anyways because big dick energy guides my way.

He doesn't look like a full Zoner or Rusher in neither Config though. More like an Hybrid that can focus on different ranges through his Cofigs. Makes sense?

Yeah, Noob is a bit of an odd one. In MK9 he was pretty much a full on zoner while in this game he's much more hybrid depending on which variation you choose. His first one is more of a zone heavy one, but it excels well from a jump distance rather than fullscreen since his low slide helps make combo strings that would traditionally be punishable safe on block. His second variation gives you more combo potential since his teleport when amplified causes a juggle state, but he also gains a faster fireball that you can use to keep people guessing. There's a third variation but it seems like dogshit so I never tried it.

For an example of why his first variation is good, if you do Back 1 or Back 3 he'll have his doppelganger do the move which actually helps to shrink Noob's hurtbox. Normally you'd need to space this out to not be immediately punished, but if you cancel every blocked B1 or B3 into his Shadow Slide it'll cause enough pushback that very few characters have a way of responding to it making you able to be oppressive to your opponent. It's also a good idea to know some corner combos with him since Noob can be a monster there. His uppercut and Rising Shadow Kick are also fairly reliable anti airs so you can keep people stuck there unless they try to roll out on wake up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silva

Arcane
So, the various names of stuff are chinese (Bi-han, Lin Kuei, Kuai Liang) but they're ninja assassins living in clans and using katanas, shuriken, sai, etc. ... which are all japanese?

What's going on here.

Generic-Giant-Spider

It's some kooky shit. The gist of it is the Lin Kuei is Sub-Zero's clan and Sub-Zero himself is Chinese while Scorpion is Japanese and had his own clan at one point called the Shirai Ryu.

Now the current day Sub-Zero you see is a sweet man, his name is Kuai Liang. The whole "Sub-Zero" thing is like a mantle or moniker passed down each generation. Before current day Sub-Zero there was the OG Sub-Zero who was a complete fucking dick, his name was Bi-Han. Scorpion and the OG Sub-Zero/Bi-Han hate one another. The way it goes is, Scorpion got killed by OG Sub-Zero, Scorpion came back with a vengeance thinking OG Sub-Zero also massacred his wife and son and the remainder of his clan, Scorpion killed OG Sub-Zero in retribution, because the OG Sub-Zero was such an asshole and lived a life of pure murder he comes back as Noob Saibot. As Noob Saibot, Bi-Han is antagonistic towards both current day Sub-Zero due to viewing him as a bleeding heart bitch who aligned with the enemy and Scorpion for obvious reasons.

Silva

Arcane
The wiki says the Lin Kuei ("Forest Ghosts" in chinese) are inspired by a real world analogue of same name that supposedly existed in a very ancient time in China, and which was the origin of the myth of ninjas in Japan. The game canon states that one "Takeda" was a member of it at some point but defected to his homeland in Japan, bringing with him the knowledge of that clan, and giving birth to the first japanese ninjas/shinobi. He called his new clan the Shiray Ryu. Hasashi (Scorpion) was a member of it.

Source: https://mortalkombat.fandom.com/wiki/Lin_Kuei

That kind of explains the confusion of chinese and japanese elements mixed.

Enter the Dragon

MK1 is pure EtD rip-off. Forget all of that Outworld stuff, it was just retconned in MK2. According to intros, MK1 tournament is just the same as in the movie, mad owner of the island organizes tournament for unknown reason and the reward is just staying alive. And cast...

Li Kang - Bruce Lee
Roper - Cage
Goro - Bolo, no Shokan shit, he is described as half-human, half-dragon
Shang Tsung - Han

Williams clone was also planned to be in the game as Jax (just named Kurtis Stryker) but they switched him for Sonya.

IScorpion killed OG Sub-Zero in retribution, because the OG Sub-Zero was such an asshole and lived a life of pure murder he comes back as Noob Saibot.

Another retcon, Midway brought Noob being original Sub-Zero pretty late, in Deception.

Melcar

Arcane
MK started to go retarded in MK2. After MK3 it just went full retard with the Outworld shit and started to feel like bad fanfiction.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Shang Tsung was based on Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom