Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Mortal Kombat 11

Vityaz

Augur
Shang Tsung was pretty damn awesome in Aftermath. Cary proves yet again he's the ultimate depiction of him, no matter what media.

HUGE story spoilers concerning Noob-Saibot.

He has one line and is still a jobber.

The biggest, ultimate jobber is
still Geras
I know it's literally his purpose but guy keeps getting shat on so spectacularly and so much in Aftermath (even more than the main story mode), to the point where I was almost feeling a bit sorry for him, lmao.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Geras is why I'm not sure why people would want to see Havik since that's ultimately what his role would be: a convenient guy that you can kick the shit out of gruesomely but will keep coming back.

But when it comes to legitimate jobbers the one that makes me lol most is

Kotal Kahn. Guy gets completely fucked up over and over again. Shao Kahn pretty much established as his unquestionable superior. Made all of Outworld build ramps for him after getting his spine broken and then Shao/Sindel easily annihilate Kotal/Jade. Even made his own army cheer against him. LOL

Shao/Sindel and Shang had the best chapters by far. The former at least restored Shao Kahn's badassery. Goes around stomping people's heads with his big ass warhammer, has his MILF wife act all submissively towards him like the barbaric alpha he is.

HUGE story spoilers concerning Noob-Saibot.

He has one line and is still a jobber.

But what a line is! I love those MKMythologies references.

Shang Tsung carried this DLC HARD.

He even surpassed his original role in MK'95 movie, recpect!

If Sektor/Cyrax are true then that helps monumentally with this bland as fuck roster.

They are already playable through mods, Havik comes first.

Last edited:

Barbarian

Arcane
A lot of people care about MK's characters because they are iconic. Outside of that, this DLC only offers 3 characters besides the story, sooooo it's a story-focused DLC. It's not worth the money, but there you go. Adding Robocop and Sheeva instead of more worthy staples like Mileena, Smoke, Ermac, Rain, Kenshi, the cyborgs, or Reptile is laughable. I'm just now realizing how bland the cast in 11 is. They don't have the excuse of "they are dead" because of the time traveling bullshit. They butchered Sindel and robbed her of any depth in this DLC too.

Of the new kharacters, I only like D'Vorah. They turned her into a lovecraftian/The Thing-ish creature with no true form who fights very viciously and I'd say scary. How she pumps her victims with poison is the stuff of nightmares.

Skarlet is also good and fits in seamlessly with classic characters. All the other new additions are total shit.

I never met people who actually enjoy Cetrion and Geras, for instance. Ditto for Kronica.

Skarlet is also good and fits in seamlessly with classic characters.

She's really shitty character, red Kitana palette-swap with blood magic. They could jut bring Nitara instead.

Geras is useless too, they could easily use Tremor and make him brand new Bene Gesserit disciple like Frost.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Scarlet isn't a "new" character in my mind for some reason, but you are actually right. I like her theme and aesthetic, I also like playing her in MK9, but seeing gameplay clips of her in MK11 kinda bores me, maybe it depends on the variation.

Barbarian

Arcane
Skarlet is also good and fits in seamlessly with classic characters.

She's really shitty character, red Kitana palette-swap with blood magic. They could jut bring Nitara instead.

Geras is useless too, they could easily use Tremor and make him brand new Bene Gesserit disciple like Frost.

That is what many classic characters were all about bro. You look at Ermac, Smoke, Rain and others, they were initially just ninja palette swaps with different elemental powers/themes. If it works they should keep doing it.

There were fewer female ninjas, Skarlet is actually ok, though they really can't add new ninjas without going overboard.

Barbarian

Arcane
I mean, compare with Geras, Cetrion and other characters that feel just as out of place in the game as the special guest characters.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Then why are you guys whining on Kira and Kobra? How is Scarlet better then them?
She's sexy.

I mean, compare with Geras, Cetrion and other characters that feel just as out of place in the game as the special guest characters.
Most of them are boring and somehow not entirely fitting. D'Vorah seems to me the most appropriate addition (except Skarlet). Her role in the story is terrible, but I like her as a concept and moveset. The Kombat Kids are just bland and a worse version of their parents, Kotal is an Aztec in a game with a pronounced lack of other Aztecs, also boring and impotent. People seem to like Erron Black for some reason, I've always found the wild west a bit meaningless so I don't like him on a personal level already, but his role in the story is like Kano's if Kano wasn't a complete and utter asshole all the time for no reason. Kano could've went through an arc and became less of an asshole while still retaining his more vicious qualities. Cetrion is too "theme-y", like a character straight out of a Mario or Zelda game. Geras is useless and I'm not sure why he exists, especially since Kronika can employ a bunch of other people to be her personal errand boy. I'd have liked to see them develop the already existing characters instead of adding more for which no role can be found in the story or gameplay.

Barbarian

Arcane
Cassie and Jaqui are terrible indeed. "muh strong independent young wymmin" shit with no worthwhile theme or move set going. No reason to have them in a game which already has Sonya, Sindel and the ninja girls. Only reason I could see to add "next generation" characters would be if they went ahead and killed off the classic ones. Cassie would make sense in a game without Sonya and Johnny for instance.

I had forgotten about Kotal. What a fucking shitty character. The worst of the bunch by far.

Lacrymas

Arcane
They don't have the balls to kill off or not include popular characters. Which is a complete break from tradition. MK3 shipped without Scorpion, Johnny, any of the ninja girls, but added people like Sindel, the cyborgs, Kabal. It showed courage and a willingness to go forward, something these new offerings don't have.

Barbarian

Arcane
They don't have the balls to kill off or not include popular characters. Which is a complete break from tradition. MK3 shipped without Scorpion, Johnny, any of the ninja girls, but added people like Sindel, the cyborgs, Kabal. It showed courage and a willingness to go forward, something these new offerings don't have.

And it worked, because back then Tobias and Boon had the shallow creativity that they lack now.

Actually, I think they just lack Tobias period. Boon doesn't seem to be able to come up with one good character theme without him being around. That is why after MK4 new character design went to shit.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Kira was literally Kano with tits and none of the cool cybernetic enhancements. She just copped his knife moves and was bland beyond all fuck. Kobra was straight up boring as sin, looked like Ken Masters without anything that makes people like Ken Masters and is ranked as a joke character.

Skarlet is literally Nitara done right. Way more interesting, only problem is I preferred her playstyle in MK9 much more than this zoning shit in MK11. But zoning in NRS games often looks and is the most unskilled fun sponge you'll ever see. If they return Skarlet to being like she was in MK9 then she's always welcomed. Visually cool too and actually a good voice actress is behind her. I associate Nitara with the time when Mokap and Hsu Hao haunted the roster which were dark days.

Of the new characters I like Erron Black, but MK11 really hammed him up with the whole "Hey guys I'm a Texan boy yeehaw" shit and looney-tunes moves. MKX Erron Black was pure badass because he wasn't just some out of place cowboy. He was a wanderer/nomad that was skilled with six shooters, had his life dramatically extended by Shang Tsung to be his secret gun for hire (super retconned here), used a dismembered Tarkatan's arm for a sword, just looked much better too with MKX's darker aesthetic and longer hair. If they return him to MKX's vibe, he has big potential.

Kotal sucks. The second I saw Kotal I thought people at NRS discovered Tekken 3 for the first time and decided to transplant Ancient Ogre but make him lame. With Shao Kahn there's no reason for Kotal to be around since Shao will always be better. He also looks like a dumb fucking peacock.

Jacqui/Cassie, these are the worst characters that never needed to be put into MK11 in the first place. Even if you dropped Johnny/Jax, I'd rather have them in than "New Attitude GURLZ" Cassie/Jacqui. I personally think I could live comfortably without Sonya in another MK but that's just me. Sonya/Cassie/Jacqui represent the absolute worst of MK. Boring and trash designs that are only received well by shill fans. Their inclusion over series staples is sickening. They're the Lucky Chloes of MK. Sonya is just overdone and boring, she also drags down Kano with her all the time and Kano is actually a cool character but is stuck rival-married to that black hole. Cassie/Jacqui are just annoying and I wish Shao Kahn caved their skulls in with the new story DLC.

And as much as people clowned on MK games and palette swapped ninjas, Cassie/Jacqui are more palette swappy than any ninja ever has been outside of UMK3 Smoke.

If they wanted two females, just bring back Mileena and Tanya. Mileena actually has a fanbase and they did Tanya pretty good in MKX.

Edit - Oh I forgot D'vorah. As someone that tends to like weird/monster characters in games that should tell you what I think. Cool concept on paper, puts me to sleep in-game. Sadira from Killer Instinct whoops the shit out of her in every way.

The do the same with Deadlly Alliance (no Liu Kang) and Deception (no Cage, Sonya, Kano, Reptile as a host for final boss, Dark Raiden, Zombie Liu Kang and no Jax and Kitana beyond PSP version) introducing so many great characters like Frost, Havik Kenshi, Onaga, Drahmin, Hsu Hao, Hotaru.

Kira was literally Kano with tits and none of the cool cybernetic enhancements.

She's Kano/Sonya just like Cassie is Johny/Sonya.

just bring back Mileena

Isn't it obvious NRS prepares her for DLC.. for Injustice 3?

Generic-Giant-Spider

By the way Robocop is extremely boring to play, Sheeva is as you'd expect not much better. She has this one move where she slowly begins running towards you and the earth shakes a little because it's supposed to be this huge humanoid wall coming at you but... she's like, LOL, kind of small as fuck to pull that off. She's not much bigger than the other characters and nowhere near as big as Shao Kahn or even Jax.

Fujin's probably the funnest to play by default. I do like his move set but seeing all his crazy wind moves all I can think of how much more sick this would have looked if they put this on Human Smoke instead.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If they wanted two females, just bring back Mileena and Tanya. Mileena actually has a fanbase and they did Tanya pretty good in MKX.
I question their decision of not bringing in Mileena from the beginning. They know she has a rabid fanbase. I'm sure they are sitting on her for DLC later on, though.

Vityaz

Augur
Out of the nu-characters, at least Takeda was kinda fun to play (and pretty popular in online as well according to the polls).

I initially expected they'd bring at least him back for MK11 and not just the Special Forces part of the Kombat Kids (Jacqui, Cassie).

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Nobody is quite sure who it is or how to activate it right now. If I had to guess it could be Ermac since they did add in the Soul Chamber which is kind of associated with him since MK9. His new model you see in the Krypt has him looking restored too as opposed to MKX where you can see him clearly decomposing.

But it'll probably be something lame like, I don't know, Johnny Cage in a tophat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Irata

Scholar
I watched a bit of someone playing this. How long has Cary Tagawa been reprising his role as Shang Tsung in these games?

Generic-Giant-Spider

I watched a bit of someone playing this. How long has Cary Tagawa been reprising his role as Shang Tsung in these games?

Just this game brought him back. About one of the very few good things they did in this game.

That thethiny guy who datamined lots of legit stuff confirmed Kombat Pack 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom