Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Mortal Kombat 11

Adon

Arcane
There is a lot of garbage characters from the 3D era, but I think there's a few underrated characters that could be really good if they reworked them a bit.

Take Drahmin for example.

drahmin3d.jpg

You can easily keep his motif. Just rework the dumb stuff like the ball of flies that he can throw at you. Other characters like Ashrah, Frost, and Nitara could receive the same treatment.

It's not like MK1-3 didn't have boring/bad characters either. Like the only notable thing about Sonya was the fact that Kerri Hoskins portrayed her in MK3. And Rain is never going to be anything more than a lame, but cute Prince reference.

Havik, Frost, Drahmin, Blaze, Sareena, Reiko, Hsu Hao, Deagon or Taven are definitely moar interesting than shit like Dvorah or Kombat Kids. Damn, even dudes from Orderrealm trio Darius, Dairrou, Hotaru are better.

Kira is also a nice replacement for Sonya/Kano and is natural nemesis candidate for Cassie Cage.

Kobra would be good as hidden, troll character as being a shameless clone of Ken Masters.

Okagron

Prophet
Hsu Hao is easily one of the worst characters in the franchise, to the point the developers themselves hate him. I think they just wanted to get rid of him as fast as possible because he's killed off in the MKX prequel comics and he's actually the first major character to die in that. Highly doubt they will ever bring him back since he's one of the most unpopular, if not the most unpopular character in the series.

Reiko was just a lame Shao Kahn wannabe and Kira was just a reminder that they were running out of ideas by shamlessly combining two old characters.

I can see Nitara, Havik, Ashrah and maybe a couple of others from the 3D games returning, while most of the others are either ignored or killed off.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

The only weak new entries in MKX were Jacqui, Kung Jin and Takeda. The others were decent.

But Jesus... Sub-Zero's genderbending cosplayer? Reiko? Kira? Kobra? These are characters that should never be brought in again. They're lessons learned.

Adon

Arcane
I'd easily take Frost over Ferra/Torr. If we can have a gender swapped Goro with Sheeva, or hell, a straight up Goro-clone with Kintaro, I don't see an issue with Frost. Just make her share a few moves with Sub-Zero if needed.

Personally, on top of the characters that already made a return like Kenshi, and Tanya, I'd like to see: Havik, Fujin, Drahmin, Hotaru, Ashrah, Nitara, possibly Moloch. Reiko I can see working if they basically make it into a Sagat/Adon thing with Shao Kahn.

Blaze would have to be heavily reworked because he's basically just "fire dude" in the 3D games. Kobra I can actually agree with. Make him into a joke character like Dan is in SF.

Squid

Arbiter
Is Noob Saibot from 3D technically or MK II? Because that's a great 3D character if he doesn't count for his appearance in II. Kenshi is definitely one of the best 3D characters. I'd imagine we'll also see Fujin as playable. I could see Havik, Reiko, Frost, and Nitara being at least considered. Havik was seen in the MKX comics and I think that made people like him a bit more than before. There were more than two good 3D characters but there were far many more forgettable characters than memorable from that era.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Noob Saibot is definitely from the MK1-3 days. Began as a secret character in MK2, had another appearance as a secret character in MK3 (as a totally blacked out Kano since vanilla MK3 had no ninjas), became playable for the first time in the SNES/Genesis ports of UMK3, became playable again in MKTrilogy where he was broken beyond comprehension.

Okagron

Prophet
Geras's fatality is one that embodies the issue i have with some of the fatalities in the franchise. He teleports behind the opponent, hits with the palm of his hand on the back of his opponent to make an hole in their pectoral, then teleports to the front of the opponent to uppercut the opponent and open an hole in the other pectoral, then teleports to the back again to force palm the back of his opponent's head, causing their face and brain to fly off of the skull. How do the first two things help with the last?

I don't mind elaborate fatalities, but the sequences of events has to have some sort of connection. Not just some sort of random arrangement of unrelated events.

Last edited:

Nathir

Liturgist
I want Reiko because he was my main in MK4, the first FG I've ever played. In fact, I'd want most of MK4 chars, especially Reiko, Fujin and Shinnok.

But not Jarek. Always found him lame, even as a kid.

Sub-Zero's genderbending cosplayer?

Is Sakura Ryu's genderbending cosplayer?

Kira was just a reminder that they were running out of ideas by shamlessly combining two old characters.

MK1 Reptile is a blend of Scorpion and Sub-Zero (yellow + blue gives green), MK2 Smoke shares Sub-Zero's victory pose, Reptile's fighting stance and Scorpion's moveset, Cyber Smoke is just Sektor with Scorpion's spear etc.

They've been doing it since beginning.

Last edited:

Melcar

Arcane
Sub-Zero's genderbending cosplayer?

Is Sakura Ryu's genderbending cosplayer?

Kira was just a reminder that they were running out of ideas by shamlessly combining two old characters.

MK1 Reptile is a blend of Scorpion and Sub-Zero (yellow + blue gives green), MK2 Smoke shares Sub-Zero's victory pose, Reptile's fighting stance and Scorpion's moveset, Cyber Smoke is just Sektor with Scorpion's spear etc.

I think, at least in MK and MKII, it was mostly out of limited resources. Most of the expanded roster in UMK3 also seemed half assed.

Okagron

Prophet

That was due to limited resources at the time, hence why all the ninjas were color swaps of each other. Not to mention all of those eventually found their uniqueness. Kira was built from the ground up and made in the 3D games where that was no longer the case, which is infinitely worse. All the color swaps and fighters sharing moves was limited technology, Kira was a conscious decision completely unhindered by technical limitations.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

He looks pretty cool, his mask in particular reminds me of Fulgore from Killer Instinct.

Apparently D'vorah is confirmed as well.

3D era means up to MKA. I don't want any of new horrible MKX characters to return (don't consider Tremor new though as he is from MK: Special Forces).

Havik, Frost, Drahmin, Blaze, Sareena, Reiko, Hsu Hao, Deagon or Taven are definitely moar interesting than shit like Dvorah or Kombat Kids. Damn, even dudes from Orderrealm trio Darius, Dairrou, Hotaru are better.

Kira is also a nice replacement for Sonya/Kano and is natural nemesis candidate for Cassie Cage.

Kobra would be good as hidden, troll character as being a shameless clone of Ken Masters.

Hsu Hao, that stupid fucking Chinese leather daddy looking dude? He's one of the dumbest MK characters to come out of an era that produced almost exclusively shit characters. Every new character in MKX is better than everyone you listed there. Havik had an alright design, but his moveset was completely stupid.

It seems weird you're so seemingly again the next generation characters MKX introduced but also want Frost, who's a next generation character too...only with a lazy moveset and a really dumb look.

Kobra sucked, he's a fun idea, a Street Fighter kind of character in Mortal Kombat...it's just too bad that isn't what they really did. If they wanted to try their hand at that again it'd be better to just create a new character. Like most characters introduced in that era his moves were terrible, he doesn't even work as some kind of troll joke character like you're talking about (like Dan is to Art of Fighting) as his attacks aren't even kind of like anything Ken does. Havik would make a better joke character than Kobra.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Those guys have been at it for such a long time, there is so much pent up rage and lust that I think next logical conclusion is to bring in a new finishing move set.

Sexality!

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't believe what I'm saying but they need to tone down special moves. This is anime level. My old brain can't keep up with all this shit on the screen...

:negative:

Hsu Hao, that stupid fucking Chinese leather daddy looking dude? He's one of the dumbest MK characters to come out of an era that produced almost exclusively shit characters.

Never really what fans had against him. He looks pretty unique and has killer weapon (Sun Moon Blades). Mavado is terrible random guy with Kabal's hookswords but Hsu Hao?

It seems weird you're so seemingly again the next generation characters MKX introduced but also want Frost, who's a next generation character too...

I never consider that new gen shit as either flow nor merit, MKX was just the first MKX gaem with no single good character.

Cassie? Unispired military girl, offspring of Generic Caucasian Blonde Female and generic idiot with never had any uniqe traits beyond ball-smashing move
Jacqui? Generic Afroamerican military girl
Kotal Kahn? - Ogre (Tekken 3) first form
Erron Black - cowboy jobber etc.

Unfortunately, since D'vorah is in, there will be another slot taken by Kotal plus Erron Black has been somehow confirmed through thropies:

source: https://steamdb.info/app/976310/stats/
notable ones: TROPHY_ID_RUN_5_MILES_IN_KRYPT TROPHY_ID_PERFORM_2_DIFFERENT_FATALITIES_WITH_ERR

Generic-Giant-Spider

There is no way you can look at Kobra and Erron Black and be more interested in Kobra. I refuse to believe you. I don't believe you.

Generic-Giant-Spider

But he isn't Ken Masters, he's a geek.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom