Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Mortal Kombat 11

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Holy shit, I tried to watch bits and pieces from the archived stream, but the crowd is so fucking obnoxious. Ooohing and aaahing literally everytime anything happens.

Wasn't Liu Kang an undead lich emperor at the end of the last game? Why is he looking like regular young Liu again?

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Sub zero, Scorpion and Raiden look fine as one might expect. Intrigued by sub zero being more offensive oriented in this incarnation compared to other games.

Baraka was a very pleasant surprise, great to see the smiley mofo return and his fatality looks gnarly, love it.

I'm not sure what to think about Skarlet.
On one hand her only real appearance in mk9 was basically a reskinned model of sonya, but on the other, this might aswell be a new character such is the drastic redesign.
Still she looks allright, just hate her short hair but I'm hoping that can be changed with customization.

Don't like new sonya and wished they retired her for good at this point and just let Cassie replace her as the blonde military chick of the game.

Like the looks of the black dude but his fighting style and fatality both seemed lacklustre, then again I never gravitated towards grapplers in fighting games so maybe I'm just biased.

One thing I noticed is the facial animation is really expressive in mk11, fighters look suitably horrified at certain moments and winced at baraka's fatal move where he stabs someone as they are trying vainly to put their hands up and the blade ends up lodging their hand to their body for the rest of the animation. This and other little details tells me Netherealm have really stepped up their game and are trying to address the criticism of their usually stiff animations from previous games.

Still waiting on confirmation on my main, Jade, she was sorely missed in mk X.

Okagron

Prophet
Wasn't Liu Kang an undead lich emperor at the end of the last game? Why is he looking like regular young Liu again?
Apparently there's gonna be time travel shenanigans. Explains why Baraka is in the game when he was killed in MKX, so this is probably a different Baraka. You can also see normal Liu Kang fighting undead Liu Kang in one of the videos.

They rebooted MK to avoid those characters.
Havik is pretty cool, but he was killed in the prequel comics to MKX. But i guess they can bring him back with the time travel stuff.

19:20 'Yet again Liu Kang, You've chosen wrong destiny'

It's a referrence to Kang' deaths in original timeline (he became zombie) and current one (revenant) which explains that one in the trailer is another Liu from some third timelime.

Last edited:

Squid

Arbiter
Apparently there's gonna be time travel shenanigans. Explains why Baraka is in the game when he was killed in MKX, so this is probably a different Baraka.
They don't need time travel to explain resurrection in Mortal Kombat though but I guess that's what they'll use this time lmao.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Here's a list of confirmed playable characters:

Scorpion
Sub-Zero
Raiden
Skarlet
Baraka
Sonya
Geras
Shao Kahn

Here's a list of basically confirmed characters:

Kabal - Teased and will likely be revealed officially in a couple weeks.
Cassie Cage - Thought to be seen in one of the cinematics, has a menu picture of her fighting Kano.
Kano - See above, menu picture of him fighting Cassie.
Kitana - Menu picture of her under "Kustomization", storyline character.
Liu Kang - Shown in one of the cinematics, storyline character.
Kung Lao - Younger version shown in cinematics.

Here's a list of characters that may be confirmed, may not be:

Rain - Thought to be the character on the "Konquer" menu picture.
Noob Saibot - Has a picture/icon in one of those modes, however his likeness was featured in MKX and was never playable.
Johnny Cage - Seen in one of the stage backgrounds, could be purely a background character.

Likely not returning characters:

Ermac - Raiden was shown to have the levitation ability that Ermac's "Spectral" variation had last game.
Takeda - Scorpion has a lot of "Lasher" style attacks with his spear in customizable variations that Takeda prominently used last game.
Khrome (lol) - Ed Boon personally said he's not in the game.

Rumoured:

Erron Black/Fujin - Troy Baker was the voice actor of Erron, Fujin and Shinnok in MKX. With Shinnok being seen in the opening story cinematic, some think they'd not bring him in just to do a few throwaway lines and will be reprising one of his previous roles.
Reptile - The guy that voices Kung Lao apparently accidentally mentioned voicing Reptile for this game as well.
Shang Tsung - Has a stage shown in the reveal demo named after him, multiple MKX arcade endings such as Ermac's signal a possible return, Shinnok being a vegetable and Quan Chi being dead means the game needs an evil sorcerer somewhere.
Jade - Lots of fan demand from last game.

t70fiz7ee1b21.jpg

Kabal teaser.

lbzf0wsf65b21.png

Johnny Cage teaser.

jxha7f6xn4b21.png

Noob Saibot teaser.

nl0p63hv13b21.jpg

Rain teaser.

zlyyQMw.jpg

Kano/Cassie teaser.

tumblr_plhzvmKIJi1rvmqia_540.jpg

Kitana teaser.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Here's a list of basically confirmed characters:

Add Spawn, seemingly confirmed by Todd McFarlane.

But if your list list true, it's pretty disappointing, such rooster is just too 'safe'. At least, out of all new horrible characters from MKX we get only Cassie and maybe Kotal.

I can get certain characters like Scorpion/Sub-Zero/Raiden always being around, but they also need to let the heart grow fond for some other ones and have them sit the fuck out for once. Like Kung Lao. And Liu Kang. God, that MK: DA intro where Shang Tsung straight up brutally murders him was magical.

Aemar

Arcane
The MK11 reveal featured various artworks during the official countdown screens. The characters that were heavily represented are Scorpion, Subzero, and Reptile, others being Raiden, Kitana, Rain, Ermac, Sektor, Cyrax, Tanya, Noob Saibot, and possibly even Sindel. My guess is all of them will be in the game one way or the other.

that MK: DA intro where Shang Tsung straight up brutally murders him was magical.

Agree, it was shocking back than, but Deception was even step further - they got rid of Sonya, Kitana, Jax, Kung Lao and Cage (killed, revived as revenants in backstory, MK9 didn't invent this), turn Kang into zombie and Raiden almost into villain and brought back lots of characters absent since UMK3 (Ermac, Sindel, Kabal, Smoke, Nightwolf).

I wish they made something like that once moar.

Customization is oddly a huge giant step backwards from what they did in Injustice 2, at least on a aesthetic level. The good thing seems to be that your custom moves don't seem to be tied into stats and gear like in Injustice 2, but they really fucked up the costume customization. I figured after Injustice 2 they'd go even more into it, let you tweak more aspects of it, but here they've done the total opposite. Now instead of being about to change the head, torso, arms, and legs (along with on other thing for whatever character) you just pick a pre-made skin with a set color and the only thing you change yourself are three minor things which have varying levels of noticeably from character to character.

You can also set your characters intros and win poses which seems pretty stupid. I mean, if you're going to give characters multiple intros and win poses you may as we just cycle through them all like fight games used to as opposed to making people see the same ones over and over again.

So anyone notice that Raiden's fairly boring looking Fatality is basically a swastika? It's not one, because one of the limbs isn't doing the same thing as the other three, but it also is...to the point I'm guessing it once was. I wonder if that will become a thing that gets needlessly bitched about and is forced to change at some point?

Generic-Giant-Spider

tumblr_plhzvmKIJi1rvmqia_540.jpg

Hold on a minute, why isn't she wearing a stripper's costume?

:rpgcodex:

Same reason why Skarlet looks like a Muslim housewife that has to pick the kids up in twenty minutes. Women can't be attractive anymore.

This'll be parroted by "influencers" that say, "WOW KITANA LOOKS WAY BETTER NOW" in an attempt to trick you into thinking they look good. If they introduce Jade and fuck her up by giving her the body type of a rapier, two cup sizes lower, short hair, and an outfit that makes her seem like she wishes she had a penis instead, I will be sorely disappointed.

I know it will happen, they made Mileena look like a 12 year old boy in MKX.

Generic-Giant-Spider

You can also set your characters intros and win poses which seems pretty stupid. I mean, if you're going to give characters multiple intros and win poses you may as we just cycle through them all like fight games used to as opposed to making people see the same ones over and over again.

Don't the "win poses" mean after the fight is finished in this case? Like, when you win the battle and you get the big cinematic win animation. I assume it meant that.

It's probably just going to be Krypt fodder anyways. Gotta fill those caskets up with more than concept art.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I liked what they shown. The new offensive/defensive self filling bars and the new "x-ray" move will change the game. And I enjoyed all the gore and animations since MK1.
I don't really play MK games anymore but I do enjoy watching the tournaments (when I can catch them).

Swigen

Arbiter
I know ya’ll miss your tits ‘n ass guys but look at what said sacrifice has accomplished! Look at all the female evolution champions and YouTubers like... uhh... Huh. Well, I can’t name any off the top of my head, but I’m sure there are a ton of women that play now and more are gonna play since Kitana wears pants!

Generic-Giant-Spider

My favourite was at the MK11 reveal event they brought on a Jade cosplayer that was actually good looking and dressed in her MK9 "EVIL STRIPPER NINJA GIRL" outfit.

And I was told that only teenage boys and incels would ever dare back such things.

Swigen

Arbiter
My favourite was at the MK11 reveal event they brought on a Jade cosplayer that was actually good looking and dressed in her MK9 "EVIL STRIPPER NINJA GIRL" outfit.

And I was told that only teenage boys and incels would ever dare back such things.

Sounds like she’s another victim of the patriarchy. She obviously dressed that way in a misguided attempt to pander to an unrealistic idea of what a woman “should” look like perpetuated by a society where men’s wank fantasies have leaked their way into popular entertainment. Someone needs to give her a hug and let her know Kitana wears pants now and everything will be alright.

sullynathan

Arcane
Baraka's mouth sure looks scary, but if this is like MK9 then I'm avoiding it or just pirating a few years later when I'm bored as hell and want to waste bandwith.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom