Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mortal: The Simulation Video Game

Gahbreeil

Learned
6v7t9Hc.jpeg

Before you tl;dr, read the introduction alone. Reading order is 1,2,3 and 4,5,6 below.

The setting and plot are to be replaced. I'm going to put in lore excerpts every here, now and then to spruce things up. What do you think?

Gahbreeil

Learned
A .pdf would be better
Good point, I'll try to do that when I move out of .doc format.

Will there be infinite continues?
I figured playing as your child would be good in the sequel since 18+ games shouldn't really have children. It's a touchy subject, isn't it? How to implement a child in a game, an RPG, when it's mainly about killing. Playing a child thief or adventurer would be awesome though. As for your actual question, my guess is that continuing as a new character when your dies is a good option to have beside the new game option.

Both suggestions noted. I'll try not to spam reply post from now on.

Gahbreeil

Learned
When will the first set of torrents be available?
It's a PC only game. No worries.

Just because there's not too much commenting I figured I'd add two points out of my notes so that you all know.

1. You can take everything a character was wearing and carrying except for clothes and basic clothes.

2. Polygonal preset shadows.

And the second point, if implemented, is another truly revolutionary idea. No RT shadows, no engine bull. All shadows are premade and are essentially objects that change with the time and disappear with light sources. Imagine a wall. The shadow changes from one side to another with dawn/dusk and allows for near invisibility when sneaking.

FriendlyMerchant

1. You can take everything a character was wearing and carrying except for clothes and basic clothes.
Why can't I take their clothes too? They're dead right? So it shouldn't be an issue. I can't maximize profits without pawning off used clothing.

gaussgunner

Arcane
2. Polygonal preset shadows.

And the second point, if implemented, is another truly revolutionary idea. No RT shadows, no engine bull. All shadows are premade and are essentially objects that change with the time and disappear with light sources. Imagine a wall. The shadow changes from one side to another with dawn/dusk and allows for near invisibility when sneaking.
That would be cool in 2D iso but if you're doing 3D anyway, shadow mapping is easy. Just use 16k resolution and they'll look great.

Gahbreeil

Learned
Why can't I take their clothes too? They're dead right? So it shouldn't be an issue. I can't maximize profits without pawning off used clothing.
Morrowind already did that. Besides... The game does not have children yet so there are a few PEGI moments.
That would be cool in 2D iso but if you're doing 3D anyway, shadow mapping is easy. Just use 16k resolution and they'll look great.
The point is, I don't want to do what Thief already did. Generating the shadows this way is quite possibly the way to go but the actual shadows in game should be as stated.

2D is dead, no designer would want to paint all the objects and the maps. 3D is easier for the mind.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I love nothing more than to spend my free time reading someone's pipe dream when they don't have the skills, resources, or connections to make anything actually happen.

Maybe try writing a draft for a novel about a guy who wants to make the bestest computer game evar but doesn't know anything about programming and see if you can get a publisher to pay you for it. You could use your design doc or whatever as part of the novel, so it won't be a waste of time.

Like they say, write what you know, and you clearly know this tale well.

Gahbreeil

Learned
I love nothing more than to spend my free time reading someone's pipe dream when they don't have the skills, resources, or connections to make anything actually happen.

Maybe try writing a draft for a novel about a guy who wants to make the bestest computer game evar but doesn't know anything about programming and see if you can get a publisher to pay you for it. You could use your design doc or whatever as part of the novel, so it won't be a waste of time.

No skills in writing, no skills in designing (In other words, creating the idea of) a game. No skills in life, period. Resources? Lot's of time spent on this. Connections? I stay connected to the RPG Codex. I'm self-published actually, check out my novel under the title Gahbreeil and tell me once more I have no skills in writing.

Wait a second. "Write what you know, and you clearly know this tale well." You considered it too long to read, what are you going on about?

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Patron

No skills in writing, no skills in designing (In other words, creating the idea of) a game. No skills in life, period.

Resources? Lot's of time spent on this. Connections? I stay connected to the RPG Codex.

I'm self-published actually, check out my novel under the title Gahbreeil and tell me once more I have no skills in writing.
Programming, you moron. You know, the skills needed to make a video game instead of a self published word doc. Most people didn't need that spelled out for them.

Gahbreeil

Learned
Programming, you moron. You know, the skills needed to make a video game instead of a self published word doc. Most people didn't need that spelled out for them.
Listen youngster, I'll be blunt. No modern game can pass without a storyline. Those are written by writers, a plot is not the effect of the work of a programmer. I know you'd like to prove me wrong, go back to the 70's and help make Pong the ultimate video game.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Listen youngster, I'll be blunt. No modern game can pass without a storyline. Those are written by writers, a plot is not the effect of the work of a programmer. I know you'd like to prove me wrong, go back to the 70's and help make Pong the ultimate video game.
If you're old enough to call me youngster, you'll be dead before your project gets off the ground.

Anyway, farbeit from me to tell you to stop writing your fanfics for your teamless dream project. I just think there are far better ways to spend your time. Like huffing paint.

Gahbreeil

Learned
If you're old enough to call me youngster, you'll be dead before your project gets off the ground.

Anyway, farbeit from me to tell you to stop writing your fanfics for your teamless dream project. I just think there are far better ways to spend your time. Like huffing paint.
Are you actually one of those people who need images to read a text? Oookay.

C7xFeYO.png

mediocrepoet

Patron
I hate that you tagged this thread RPG Games, btw. What does the G stand for? Gay?

But I digress. Before now, I had assumed anyone calling themself a writer would understand the words they use. I see that was fabulously optimistic and that I was setting the bar too high for you.

Mortal: The Simulation Video Game
Simulation Video Game
Video Game

:philosoraptor:
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/video-game
noun Digital Technology.
any of various interactive games played using a specialized electronic gaming device or a computer or mobile device and a television or other display screen, along with a means to control graphic images.

Ergo, not a word doc. Strange, I know. I hope this helps you with your life goals or whatever, Ancient One.

Gahbreeil

Learned
Ergo, not a word doc. Strange, I know. I hope this helps you with your life goals or whatever, Ancient One.
Thank you, pup, for the respect given to my person. I am, indeed, your elder.

Do you understand that I have pinpointed the genre of a supposition of a video game? A document of design describes a video game. What better way to describe a video game than to place it within the genre appropriate based on the content of the video game. Yes, it is not a video game yet it has content. I believe you did understand what I have written down as you posted, therefore, now, you are the forum dunce. Therefore, I shall report you to my superiors on this board/forum for wasting precious memory on the server with your silly post.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
:nocountryforshitposters:

Gahbreeil

Learned
Serus I don't want to spam this thread anymore, I'll go back to writing. At first I thought you were on my side yet just in case, I'll explain. Pillars of Eternity is a video game with a plot possibly written by programmers. Now, look at its plot and tell me it's better than one fantasy book that you've read. Let us delve further into the topic, a book is a plot. All the particular scenes are based on the plot and define it.

Let us compare the Game of Thrones one, a pulp fantasy essentially, with PoE. GoT is innovative in the genre, strongly feudalistic, grim, bloody, even tragic. PoE can be described best through playing through Defiance Bay. It is... I'll let you decide.

Fargus

Arcane
If you have writing skills why not try making a sword and sorcery VN\Sim\RPG in renpy? Patreon it to shit and get shekels.

Gahbreeil

Learned
If you have writing skills why not try making a sword and sorcery VN\Sim\RPG in renpy? Patreon it to shit and get shekels.
I don't need money. I need employees!

As for renpy, sure. I can do a visual novel for the Codex. Any tips or suggestions?

mediocrepoet

Patron
I don't need money. I need employees!
What are you paying and what's the job description? Have you registered for payroll taxes? Etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom