Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most evil enemies in a game?

Gozma

Arcane
I shit on Fallout 2 a lot but I don't think I ever found any character more loathesome than Myron in any game

Carceri

Arcane
220px-PC-NamelessOne.jpg

oscar

Arcane
Speaking of such, is an evil (lawful or chaotic) PS:T playthrough much fun?

Astral Rag

Arcane
Perhaps not The Most Evil™ but some of Serious Sam's enemies provide a good challenge, most popamolers probably rage-quit the moment they are confronted with these beauties.

3DF3C9395159D17B7EAB411040B5829DB9714F22

2F5376C9BFDA079429B7D2A8E759A652643F91D9

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer

Nah, following the tradition of pretty much all classic RPGs, it's rather stupid. There are almost none lawful evil options (that alignment is probably the hardest one to achieve in the game - you literally will have to check the walkthrough with each dialogue) and most evil options are just "killing people for lulz and chump change" or just doing stupid shit for no particular reason. Can't be the second practical incarnation, unfortunately.

There's some interesting evil stuff, but Pope Amole is right in that it never adds up into a greater whole (unlike, say, MotB). It's still a step above mpost crpgs, in that the evil options involve more than just killing innocents or demanding payment for helping people. The most obvious evil-exclusive content is the book that gives you various spells (including Power Word: Kill) in return for a series of increasingly evil acts. Some of these really are goddamn evil, but because they don't add up to any greater arc, for me they felt nasty in the wrong kind of way. It's not just the killing some party members and enslaving others - killing the goody-two-shoes fucks in my KoTOR party was one of the few genuinely golden moments of an otherwise mediocre game, for me. It's that it's completely arbitrary - there's no way of making it fit with the rest of the game.

The intent was clearly to let you mirror the practical incarnation, in betraying a couple of your party members in return for useful power. It doesn't work because none of the spells you get do anything to tip the balance in your favour. Sure, they're high-level offensive spells, and as a level 9 spell, Power Word: Kill is one of the most powerful spells in the game. But it's no more powerful than any of the other 9th level spells (it's arguably less useful than Power Word: Sleep), and by the time you're a high enough mage level to use it, you've got several equally viable alternatives. Instead of giving you ultra-high level spells, they should have given you spells that are more powerful than the other spells of that level (as they did with the spells you get from Dakkon). As it is, using the book is a poor choice even from a purely evil/pragmatic perspective - the companions that you're losing are much more useful than the spells you get in return.

Some of the other evil options are better though - there's several good ways of completely fucking over the 'good' undead community, for example. But there's no satisfying arc for an evil TNO - merging with TTO is a satisfying end for a good TNO, but it isn't really clear what an evil TNO is after. That may have been deliberate - I get the feeling that the choices are supposed to be 'good v pragmatic', with the motivations being the same either way. But that would have required a far more consistent implementation, with clear pragmatic benefits to taking the 'evil' option. Too often the 'evil' option is either pointless (envisaging an evil character that the game's overall plot doesn't support) or gives a pragmatic 'benefit' that is significantly less useful than that available to a good character.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

As comrades said before its not as good as evul path in Kotor and especially Kotor2 where majority of supposed evil choices for planets are better for them on long run, killing asshole Jedi Masters gives you warm fuzzy feeling and much satisfaction or MotB where it transforms both game mechanics and story arc; but there's one quest where acting lawfull evil gives you the best melee weapon in the entire game but fighter sucks in PST anyways so why bother.

I guess there is one major chaotic evil choice that also nets you one of the game's best weapons (different to the weapon Draco mentions above), in a game where an ordinary playthrough is unlikely to obtain any of the top tier weapons for TNO.

However, I've argued elsewhere why I really didn't think that should have been an 'evil' choice - the first time I played, I even selected it as a deliberate 'chaotic good' action (didn't know about the weapon and my mage had little use for it anyway). I didn't find out that the game counts it as massively evil until many years later.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Some more:

This man is evil to the core:

2.jpg

In all seriousness he was just punishing a thief, but the way he stood there always rubbing his hands together, and how the fuck does he have the most powerful attack in the game? dude had some shady back story we never got to hear.

Everrett in Deus Ex was pretty evil, keeping Luscius on ice to satisfy his own ends:

31.jpg

Evil incarnate right here:

9brahne-s.jpg

Another fearsome large lady:

041118220553_12.jpg

Yeah, we have already had Shodan but she/it is a special case:

shodan.jpg

Rupture Farms were portrayed as evil but they were basically no worse than humans:

oddworld-abes-oddysee-26.jpg

Jeannie May Crawford was an evil bitch. Luring her out for sweet head popping justice is the go-to:

240px-Jeanny_May_Crawford.jpg

The winner probably has to be Vault-Tec though:

vault_tec.jpg

Ebonsword

Arcane
I've been playing RE:ORC again and Hunters in it are just absolutely nasty.

Fast, agile, partially bullet-proof, tons of health, and with an annoying tendency to pounce on you and claw the living hell out of your face, just seeing one is enough to make you groan with dismay.

So, when they start sending three or four of them after you at once, you definitely start to near controller-throwing territory.

REORC_Hunter_Bertha.jpg

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
[consolefag]

In no particular order.

1. Allen O'Neil from Metal Slug series.

metalslug103.png

2. Nemesis from Resident Evil 3.

resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city-nemesis-6.jpg

The pic is from Operation Racoon City, tho (coz I can't into google)

3. Pretty much every villain from Brain Dead 13. Fritz is my fav.

2615_4b267a3b9c451.jpg

4. Calypso from Twisted Metal series.

latest

5. Colonel Bahamut from Contra Hard Corps.

contrabad-1.gif

6. Eve from Parasite Eve.

16-capture_27052011_070335.jpg

7. Deadmoon from Kagero: Deception 2

51-ePSXe_2007-05-29_11-00-38-64.jpg

... Actually, nevermind. He can't compare to protagonist girl.

web.jpg

This game was so weird.

8. Bob the Killer Goldfish from Earthworm Jim.

303-Earthworm_Jim_2_%28U%29-1.jpg

[/consolefag]

Maschtervoz

Learned
latest

For some reason, these guys always creep the fuck out of me every single time, no matter that I know exactly where you run into them and what they do. Bloodsuckers tend to be the standard scary encounter that everyone thinks about when talking about STALKER mutants, but they never got to me as much as the goddamned Controllers. There's just something oddly and profoundly unsettling about them and I'm not entirely sure what. The way they mess up your vision, that damn sound blaring through your headphones, the sudden zoom in-zoom out effects of their attack, their grotesque, misshapen heads, the Zone lore about them driving people mad, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom