Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review MotB review at IGN - 8.5

cardtrick said:
roshan said:
The way I see it, people are starved for RPGs, and that has led to MOTB being overrated. The Codex has basically created its own hype and gotten carried away with it.

MOTB is a good game, unlike the NWN2 OC, but I definitely do not think it deserves to be compared to games like Torment.

We're a web forum. It doesn't even make sense for us to have been able to make our own needle. STFU NOOB.

(It's amazing how the uselessness of my posts increases in direct proportion to the amount of work I have to do.)
No sense in beating a dead horse, dear.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Futile Rhetoric said:
roshan said:
This whole MOTB thing just shows that the codex is just as vulnerable to hype as any other site.
What hype? Whose hype? You mean the legitimate reactions of the people who have actually played the game, and were, if anything, pleasantly surprised? Do you understand the meaning of the word "hype"?
Well said!

roshan said:
The way I see it, people are starved for RPGs, and that has led to MOTB being overrated. The Codex has basically created its own hype and gotten carried away with it.
We were starved for a long time, yet NWN2 wasn't embraced as the second coming of Jesus. That alone proves you wrong. If anything, a lot of people here dismissed MotB right away after playing NWN2, so the fact that it's being praised speaks highly of the game's design.

MOTB is a good game, unlike the NWN2 OC, but I definitely do not think it deserves to be compared to games like Torment.
Well, it's the only game that can be compared to Torment.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
cardtrick said:
(It's amazing how the uselessness of my posts increases in direct proportion to the amount of work I have to do.)
I'm more amazed by how reasonable your posts appear next to the people you're talking to.

I never had any interest in NWN2 or indeed most recent RPGs. But after all I heard, I might just get MotB. Once it's in the bargain bin, naturally.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Well, it's the only game that can be compared to Torment."

And, considering how overrated PST is around these parts that doesn't bode well for how one should take people's opinions on MOTB.

Thankfully, despite its faults, MOTB is a good game.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
1. if you d "analyze" choices and consequences in both games, i m not even sure if fallout would come up so much ahead of MOTB. maybe slightly, if even. granted it been 1-2 years since i last replayed fallout but i m getting the feeling some people see a lot more choices and consequences in it then there actually were - which is totally understandable as fallout did have plenty of CnC versus most other cRPGs, but imho MOTB measures up really well. heck in terms of using non-combat skillchecks MOTB flatout destroys anything else including fallout.

2. whats wrong with praising a game that goes that route, even *IF* it wouldnt be the same league as PS:T/fallout (which it imho is, though ofc different people - different tastes) ? obsidian is getting mediocre (in todays retard world 8/10 means mediocre, as dumb as that sounds....)reviews all across the mainstream fansites, alot (not all) of bioware fans are complaining about the too-hard combat (lawl), spirit-meter (granted it coulda been better, but its nowhere near as bad as some ppl claim) and the obvious lack of romantic sex fantasies with elf-titties..... seriously, if now even the "hardcore" cRPG fans remain nitpicking wankers, whats the chance they stay on the course MOTB *maybe* might set or even remain intact as a company as a whole ?
from what i seen so far MOTB isnt anywhere high in sales charts - i can only hope that the journalist blowjobs cost a lot of money so despite low sales OE can make some profit compared to games with higher sales that spend alot of money on professional cocksucking.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"alot (not all) of bioware fans are complaining about the too-hard combat (lawl), spirit-meter (granted it coulda been better, but its nowhere near as bad as some ppl claim) and the obvious lack of romantic sex fantasies with elf-titties..... "

L0LZ! How do you ASSUME it's BIO fans complaining? In fact, I'd wager most BIo fans who actually post want their games as challenging as possible.

Texas Red

Whiner
Though the Bioware/NWN 2 forums are nowhere near as filled with retards, there are a bunch of whining going on about such inconsequential features such as ugly faces of characters, lack of hair styles, romances etc. When NWN 2 came out there were a load of threads about how ugly elves looked, and the posters were dead serious about how it disturbed them.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Oh, no doubt. But, that's true pretty much everywhere. Of course, the BIO forums has its shares of 'illy' (ie. dumb) posters. But, rico was claiming that 'alot' of BIo fans were complaining (whatever a lot means to him is debatable at this point). Plus, just because someone posts on the BIO/NWN2 baords doesn't mean they are really BIO fans. Some people who post ther emake it really clear they hate BIO big time but are there because of the NWN2/Obsidian forums.

Azarkon

Arcane
You will have to excuse roshan; he is to PS:T as the greatest fanboy on NMA is to Fallout. I still remember a discussion on the old BIS boards about whether PS:T was better than BG 2, where roshan was arguing for PS:T against a legion of BG 2 fanboys. I do not think any game will ever be comparable to PS:T in his eyes.

Lumpy

Arcane
Azarkon said:
I still remember a discussion on the old BIS boards about whether PS:T was better than BG 2, where roshan was arguing for PS:T
What does that prove besides him having a bit of taste? BG2 is PST's uglier, dumber and sluttier sister.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
I wouldn't say BG2 is PST's sister. They weren't really aiming for the same things. PST was all about the story, BG2 was basically all about the combat. BG2's combat was a lot of fun, PST's wasn't all that great. But no game has really attained the storytelling that PST offers. And in the end, PST leaves a bigger impact on the player.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Lumpy said:
Azarkon said:
I still remember a discussion on the old BIS boards about whether PS:T was better than BG 2, where roshan was arguing for PS:T
What does that prove besides him having a bit of taste? BG2 is PST's uglier, dumber and sluttier sister.

You're ignorant. D:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"What does that prove besides him having a bit of taste? BG2 is PST's uglier, dumber and sluttier sister."

BG2 > PST

"BG2 was basically all about the combat."

Complete, and utter bullshit. You got BG2 mixed up with the IWD series. The thing with BG series is that unlike either IWD or PST, it isn't one dimensional. It was about many things including story, combat, characters, role-playing (though it lacks that compared to games like FO, JE, and MOTB), and character building.

Don't make shit up. Please, and thank you.

cardtrick

Arbiter
What the hell? PST is so obviously better than BG2 that I can't believe it's even in question.

I'll grant you, it doesn't actually offend me for someone to prefer BG2 to PST. They're quite different games, and people have preferences. But to claim that it's better? Blasphemy, my friends.

BG2 has a couple of advantages over PST:

1) The combat! BG2 has quite good combat, especially the mage battles, whereas PST has some of the worst combat this side of Arcanum.

2) Kinda-sorta-nonlinearity: This is the Oblivion style nonlinearity, where you have somewhat more freedom to do things in whatever order you prefer, but there is typically only one or two ways to actually accomplish any quest. I don't much care for this kind of thing myself, but I can understand that someone would want it, and BG2 comes out on top here.

3) Stupid humor. If you like stereotyped, 1-D cartoon characters bantering with one another, then BG2 is funnier than PST.

Yet, PST's advantages are too numerous to list, but they include (among others):

Best CRPG writing ever, bar none. The only things comparable are the Troika games (obviously not TOEE).

True nonlinearity in overall plot and in solutions to quests.

Incredible atmosphere.

Perfect ending.

Nuanced, likable, interesting, dynamic NPC companions.

Lack of Minsc and Boo.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Best CRPG writing ever, bar none. The only things comparable are the Troika games (obviously not TOEE)."

No. Most overrated writing ever. I'll give PST that award.

"True nonlinearity in overall plot and in solutions to quests."

For the most part, this is true.

"Incredible atmosphere."

BG2 crushes PST in this. Easy.

"Perfect ending."

NO!

"Nuanced, likable, interesting, dynamic NPC companions."

Depends on which ones. Two of them are maongst the best ever, 3 of them are about everage, and 2 are complete and utter trash.

"Lack of Minsc and Boo."

Point for PST. But, it has the Fire Freak who is 100% worse and has NO redeeming qualities. He makes Minsc look awesome. Points lost for PST.

elander_

Arbiter
Anyone with one brain cell should be intelligent enough not to have any doubts that Planescape has the best writing in any rpg that has ever made. It only takes one brain cell for gods sake.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
What the hell? PST is so obviously better than BG2 that I can't believe it's even in question.

BG2 had elves and dragons, you shithead. That makes it better. Get your facts straight.

Keldorn

Scholar
Why even do a head to head of PS:T vs. BG ? It's pointless. 2 entirely different aesthetic motivations.

PS:T attempted (and succeeded) in being an innovative boundary pushing CRPG, in an atypical realm/setting. BG2 attempted (and succeeded) in being a derivative, combat-heavy, loot-heavy, more story-based antagonist/protagonist CRPG within the typical pseudo-medieval fantasy realm/setting utterly MAXED OUT.

Both are great friggen games, which DEEESTROOOOOOOOOY anything released in the last several years on the basis of CRPG artistry, depth, dialogue, NPC definition and massivity.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No. PST is a good game. that's it. BG2 is a classic. BIG difference.

Any game that has a teenie bopper who allows her adoptive daddy to fuck her brains out while said retarded girl has a man crush on a man so ancient his corpse is deep into the decaying stage is no classic.

The only reason why Annah is so popular at the Codex is because this is the Furry Codex.

R00fles!

cardtrick

Arbiter
Volourn said:
Any game that has a teenie bopper who allows her adoptive daddy fuck her brains out while said retarded girl has a man crush on a man so anicent his corpse is deep into the decaying stage is no classic.

Not while . . . .

And also, you're stupid.

Keldorn

Scholar
Volourn said:
No. PST is a good game. that's it. BG2 is a classic. BIG difference.

Any game that has a teenie bopper who allows her adoptive daddy to fuck her brains out while said retarded girl has a man crush on a man so ancient his corpse is deep into the decaying stage is no classic.

The only reason why Annah is so popular at the Codex is because this is the Furry Codex.

R00fles!

I just love your smug, shallow, hyper-dismissive posts/opinions. Not in terms of humanitarian values and insight, just in terms of mindless entertainment. Really, those 1-line Volournian "refutations" are like friggen Lasers !

'BzzzzzT' !

(or is it 'Tyuwww' ?)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pot. Kettle. Black.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom