Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review MotB review at IGN - 8.5

Keldorn

Scholar
Volourn said:
Pot. Kettle. Black.

All of us are fallible, including you, Volourn. But the petty details of our momentary inaccuracies are dwarfed by the axiomatic omniperspective, which allows us to not be so overly reliant and dependent upon shallow, sweeping dismissals of *seemingly* oppositional points of view.

Put down the Laser, and evolve... conceptually, cognitively, epistemologically and spiritually.

Let the spirit of PS:T abound within thee...

Lumpy

Arcane
Volourn said:
"Best CRPG writing ever, bar none. The only things comparable are the Troika games (obviously not TOEE)."

No. Most overrated writing ever. I'll give PST that award.
Best CRPG writing and most overrated CRPG writing, yeah, but the latter is due to the lack of comparison. PST doesn't have OMGWTFBBQ godly writing, but it's still better than any RPG I've played.

Volourn said:
"True nonlinearity in overall plot and in solutions to quests."

For the most part, this is true.
Actually, there isn't all that much nonlinearity in the plot, although there are optional threads which weave into the main storyline.

Volourn said:
"Incredible atmosphere."

BG2 crushes PST in this. Easy.
I'd answer, but Vault Dweller said pretty much everything in his "Why fantasy RPGs suck" thread.

Volourn said:
"Perfect ending."

NO!
Yes. Except some non-adherence to Planescape canon, but fuck that.

Volourn said:
"Nuanced, likable, interesting, dynamic NPC companions."
Depends on which ones. Two of them are maongst the best ever, 3 of them are about everage, and 2 are complete and utter trash.
Ya Annah sucks because of Volourn's crazy unfounded personal interpretation of her.

Volourn said:
"Lack of Minsc and Boo."

Point for PST. But, it has the Fire Freak who is 100% worse and has NO redeeming qualities. He makes Minsc look awesome. Points lost for PST.
Do explain. I might agree with you.

roshan

Arcane
Azarkon said:
You will have to excuse roshan; he is to PS:T as the greatest fanboy on NMA is to Fallout. I still remember a discussion on the old BIS boards about whether PS:T was better than BG 2, where roshan was arguing for PS:T against a legion of BG 2 fanboys. I do not think any game will ever be comparable to PS:T in his eyes.

Those BG2 fanboys got their asses kicked.

cardtrick said:
1) The combat! BG2 has quite good combat, especially the mage battles, whereas PST has some of the worst combat this side of Arcanum.

What was so good about the mage battles in BG2 except the repetitive casting of breach? Err.. wait, repetitive casting of breach isnt a good thing.

3) Stupid humor. If you like stereotyped, 1-D cartoon characters bantering with one another, then BG2 is funnier than PST.

I personally never liked the BG2 NPCs - I found Aerie, Jan, Minsc and Keldorn and got sick and tired of hearing about wings, turnips, asses and killing, finally, I restarted the game with a custom party.

Nuanced, likable, interesting, dynamic NPC companions.

One thing I liked about BG2 was that the companions bantered with each other, not just with the PC. Torment only had a few randomized dialogue sequences between the NPCs. Its too bad that BG2s NPC banters havent been repeated since then.

Volourn said:
Any game that has a teenie bopper who allows her adoptive daddy fuck her brains out while said retarded girl has a man crush on a man so anicent his corpse is deep into the decaying stage is no classic.

At least the game had an explanation for it: It was the scent of formaldehyde on TNO + the symbol of torment.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Best CRPG writing"

Most longwinded is not the same as 'best'. R00fles!

"Ya Annah sucks because of Volourn's crazy unfounded personal interpretation of her."

See, this is where you error. You assumed because I rag on Annah that I think she's one of the horrible chracters. Not to me she isn't. She's one of the average ones. And, my interpretation of Annah isn't 'unfounded'. It's true, and backed up by the game.

"Do explain. I might agree with you."

I cna't remember his name, but the Fire Freak was boring. He had no soul, no character, no touchinhg story. His sappy background which was preumably made to make you feel sorry for him just made me laugh at predictable, yawn inducisng background. I mean,s eirously. OOOoo.. FIRE! Shut the fuck up, Fire Freak!

"At least the game had an explanation for it: It was the scent of formaldehyde on TNO + the symbol of torment."

And, what a lame ass explanation it was.

"Those BG2 fanboys got their asses kicked."

Nah. Afterall, you are the one who went psycho; not us.

"What was so good about the mage battles in BG2 except the repetitive casting of breach? Err.. wait, repetitive casting of breach isnt a good thing."

That's funny. I used breach only a handful of times, and that was only to test after all people bringing it up. It has gots to be the most overrated IE spell (barring the FF rip offs found in PST).

"Its too bad that BG2s NPC banters havent been repeated since then."

Sure, it has. NWN2 OC, and JE are just two examples. Not to mention both KOTORs.

Lumpy

Arcane
Alternative interpretation of the Fire Freak:
Unlike most characters in Torment who changed their nature, one way or another, and suffered because of it, Ignus in one of the few truly happy ones, because he surrendered to his inner nature, and became one with his desires. Leaving human limitations behind, he became chaos, and fire. Despite suffering physically, he is spiritually accomplished.

Keldorn

Scholar
1) PS:T is not nearly as good a CRPG as BG:2, this is indisputable FACT. If you disagree, then you are WRONG / MAKING STUFF UP / LYING. I can use Volourn's CRPG Laser, zapping away, comparatively, at each CRPG element, and PROVE this in an absolute & objective fashion.

PS:T is waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy overrated by those who rate it equal to, higher than, or close to BG:2. This is indisputable and absolute/universal FACT.

2) MotB is overrated. This is an absolute, undeniable, universal statement of mandatory FACT. Meanwhile, Two Worlds is extreeeeeeeeeemely UNDERRATED. These dual statements of absolute fact cannot be denied, because the inexorable, intensive logic which these statements of absolute, pristine truth are based on, is entirely perfect and irrefutable.

"If you disagree, then you are simply WRONG.
It's a FACT, it's in my shallow SONG..."

Keldorn

Scholar
meep-meep.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom