Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Turn-Based Tactics Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - now with Seed of Evil expansion

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Infinitron, Feb 28, 2018.

1. EnthalpyFlow Learned Patron

EnthalpyFlow
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    If you preorder through their website, you get the three day early access to the game with the standard edition.

https://buy.mutantyearzero.com/#pre-order-now

^ Top  
  2. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    It also says the same thing under the "About the Game" section on the steam store, so I'm sure you get the same if you purchase through steam as well.

^ Top  
  3. bylam Funcom Developer

bylam
    It took me a bit under 20hrs to play through it in Beta. There were a couple areas unfinished/being polished though, but that seems about right.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Thanks for letting me know. That really is a shame. It seems like the kind of game that would fit more comfortably in a 35-50 hour adventure, based on the emphasis on exploration and character progression.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. bylam Funcom Developer

bylam
    I agree. To be fair, these guys are a small team (8-10 people I think) and they built this one from scratch. If this one does well, I'm pretty sure they'll make something bigger and better.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. EnthalpyFlow Learned Patron

EnthalpyFlow
    Yeah, you're right. Didn't even bother to read the description.

^ Top  
  7. Frusciante Arbiter

Frusciante
    Project: Eternity
    In don't see the value of long games anymore. I prefer focused games of high quality now perhaps also due to busy work life etc. I feel most long games contain too much filler moments.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    You might want to try that quote again, Frusciante. I know what you're referring to, though.

Anyway, I wasn't aware that 35 hour games have now become considered "long," unfocused, or of low quality. Me myself - I usually prefer a little more length in something like this because I enjoy the opportunity to become thoroughly invested in a game world and the overall sense of progression in the characters I'm playing with. Particularly when the world you are exploring is a bit of a character itself, I'm going to feel like I'm getting prematurely yanked away from this place if I'm done after a mere 15-20 hours (especially if replayability value is minimal). That's probably why I've always been more drawn to games like RPGs and tactics games. Prolonged investment and sense of progression. I like some room to play around and feel like a free-agent of sorts.

Not to say there aren't shorter games I enjoy - just that from what I've seen from this one, it seems like it could have benefitted from a little more fleshing out that it didn't get because of lack of resources, time, and staff. This was all but just confirmed by someone in this thread who works for the publisher and has playtested the game. I'm not saying the game will suck because of this or that it isn't worth supporting, just that it seems like a shame.

I can tell you right now, though. It's going to catch flack for its length unless there is indeed a fair amount of replayability to be found in it.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Frusciante Arbiter

Frusciante
    Project: Eternity
    I never said that 35 hour games are of low quality as a rule. In practice though I feel that many 50+ rpgs contain unnecessary filler content. This mostly applies to story driven rpgs though, for strategy/tactic games I have to admit that long play times almost never bother me.

^ Top  
  10. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    True. Sorry about that.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. KeighnMcDeath Arbiter

KeighnMcDeath
    Hah! Another game with A Duck? So I can be Dr.Qwak from Xenophobe now.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

• incline incline x 5
    • nice nice x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Foxy lady:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. EnthalpyFlow Learned Patron

EnthalpyFlow
    If you preorder the game you get the game 4 days earlier. It says 3 on steam/their website but they just announced that change on their last stream.

^ Top  
  15. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    No Truce With The Furries!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    If nothing else this game looks more polished, atmospheric and with better graphics than Phoenix Point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    The only thing that really bugs me so far about this one, is that enemies have "levels". I don't know why but it feels really weird to be able to see the "level" of an enemy. Also the fact that a hobo lvl1 and a hobo lvl100 will need very different approaches even though they should basically be the same

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. toro Arcane

toro
    The game will be released on December 4th ... that like 4 more days.

New companion below:

Longer version:

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Jenkem Magister Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    >Furries

that's gonna be a "yikes" from me, dawg...

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Tweed Savant Patron

Tweed
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    This looks really dumb.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. toro Arcane

toro
    Which doesn't mean it cannot be fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    [​IMG]

• Prestigious x 4
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • No x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    Prime Junta PrimeJunta dunno which is real deal, id wager you getting suddenly more interested in this title thx to above pic

• sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Belegarsson Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Patron

Belegarsson
    Fun thing, I wandered into a level 25 area early on so I couldn't fight anything in it, instead I just sneaked around and got some gears from chests lying around that I feel like I'm not supposed to have yet. Stealth in this game is barebone but it's pretty fun tbh :M

• nice nice x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.