Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My 1:1 Time with Braunstein sessions and patron play Traveller campaign.

NwNgger

Educated
I wrote a blog about my first week of my 1:1 time Gygaxstein Traveller campaign. Using the rules laid out in the ADnD 1e Dungeon Master Guide and refined by the BrOSR through their Trollopolous campaign. I intend to write more as huge things have happened since. But so much has happened that I need time to coalate it all together. But until then, here is part one.

Has anyone else here had any experience with 1:1 time with Patron play? If not, would you consider running a game in that style?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
What's a Braunstein? I found a wikipedia link, but I'm still not getting it.

NwNgger

Educated
What's a Braunstein? I found a wikipedia link, but I'm still not getting it.
Before Dungeons & Dragons, the wargamers who created and played DnD first played Braunsteins. Which were created by David Wesely. Braunstein became one of the building blocks of the RPG. On their own, Braunsteins are quite half baked. Not even really a game on it's own. A Braunstein is a session of play where players assume a role in some kind of scenario. Unlike DnD, it's competetive, not co-operative. You have your own interests and by the end there is only one winner. The "game" had far less rules and procedures for play compared to the wargames that Gygax and co normally played or the RPGs that evolved out of Braunsteins. In the context of playing RPGs with 1:1 time and patron play, a Braunstein is played when the patron players all have to do one or many things all at the same time. So the Braunstein session is called so the GM can pay attention to and officiate everything that needs to be done. I normally have had to call a Braunstein when multiple players are engaging in various battles with their units at roughly the same time. Or when there's some kind of mass diplomacy.

For more information please look at this blog post by Jeffro Johnson.
And this one too
Finally this one.

Also, look up the documentary The Secrets of Blackmore for a more comprehensive look at the early primordial ooze that spawned DnD. It provides the context that becomes very clear when you read the 1E DMG. That was written with the assumption everyone would be playing like Gygax's wargaming group so they didn't write in clear language exactly what was expected of the GM in marrying 1:1 time with your DnD sessions.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I wrote a blog about my first week of my 1:1 time Gygaxstein Traveller campaign. Using the rules laid out in the ADnD 1e Dungeon Master Guide and refined by the BrOSR through their Trollopolous campaign. I intend to write more as huge things have happened since. But so much has happened that I need time to coalate it all together. But until then, here is part one.

Has anyone else here had any experience with 1:1 time with Patron play? If not, would you consider running a game in that style?

Those aren't rules, but an example of play for a large number of players with very few DMs that was common in the 1970s when D&D first came out. The original games in college were very PvP heavy. BrOSR's entire patron thing is a scam by Jeffro to line his worthless pockets.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Since people doubted me on what I said here is the AD&D 1E DMG. It is what I said it is. It's not a rule for 1:1 time but rather an example of HOW to keep time. The entire section for 1:1 time starts off with, "For the sake of example,". When D&D Basic first appeared in 1975 it was a smash hit all across college campuses. Back then, like today, you have too few DMs, but back then you had an over saturation of players. This is why they used the shared world sandbox campaign style. Players would try to outsmart and outwit other players in order to get the treasure and complete a dungeon before the others did. This often resulted in the characters being engaged in PvP.

Dungeon Masters Guide (Premium Edition)_1.png

Dungeon Masters Guide (Premium Edition)_2.png

NwNgger

Educated
Since people doubted me on what I said here is the AD&D 1E DMG. It is what I said it is. It's not a rule for 1:1 time but rather an example of HOW to keep time. The entire section for 1:1 time starts off with, "For the sake of example,". When D&D Basic first appeared in 1975 it was a smash hit all across college campuses. Back then, like today, you have too few DMs, but back then you had an over saturation of players. This is why they used the shared world sandbox campaign style. Players would try to outsmart and outwit other players in order to get the treasure and complete a dungeon before the others did. This often resulted in the characters being engaged in PvP.

View attachment 51271

View attachment 51273
Okay, but that's exactly what Jeffro says and used in his own Trollopolous campaign. His argument are that these rules as written are the missing link that makes all those esoteric 1e rules make sense. And that if you look at those rules from the mentality of a wargamer and not conventional RPG play which came much later, you will be able to make a much better campaign than anything you did before. You're missing the forest for the trees and ignoring the context of being Gary Gygax in the 70's as a wargamer who just invented the first Tabletop RPG. Everything that is not mentioned in the 1e DMG is simply implementation extrapolated from playing Chainmail and other wargames that would've been so obvious to Gygax and his friends that he never thought to mention them. If you watch the documentary, Secrets of Blackmoor, this becomes incredibly obvious.

Also it's weird you're saying Jeffro is a scammer when everything he's showing off is either available in 1E or on his free blog. If it's a scam, it has shit monetization. You don't need to spend any money to do a 1:1 time Gygaxstein. And it's super fun to do. Use your existing RPGs. It works well with Classic Traveller as I can attest to. 1:1 time Gygaxsteins can be used with any game, really. There are multiple blogs attesting to this. Including my own. When you play this way, so many things start to make sense. That lightbulb will go off and you'll realize this is how RPGs were always meant to be played. And people played them wrong for so long. It's all player driven as opposed to being some grand design of the GM that players are dragged through. Your players start to take initiative and interact with the game world in ways the GM doesn't anticipate, the patrons will shape the world through their actions. War, diplomacy, territory acquisition, giving quests to players and manipulating them, it's hard to talk about generally because your players will do different things. You don't need to take my word for it. Try it out.

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

View attachment 51271

View attachment 51273
Okay, but that's exactly what Jeffro says and used in his own Trollopolous campaign. His argument are that these rules as written are the missing link that makes all those esoteric 1e rules make sense. And that if you look at those rules from the mentality of a wargamer and not conventional RPG play which came much later, you will be able to make a much better campaign than anything you did before. You're missing the forest for the trees and ignoring the context of being Gary Gygax in the 70's as a wargamer who just invented the first Tabletop RPG. Everything that is not mentioned in the 1e DMG is simply implementation extrapolated from playing Chainmail and other wargames that would've been so obvious to Gygax and his friends that he never thought to mention them. If you watch the documentary, Secrets of Blackmoor, this becomes incredibly obvious.

Also it's weird you're saying Jeffro is a scammer when everything he's showing off is either available in 1E or on his free blog. If it's a scam, it has shit monetization. You don't need to spend any money to do a 1:1 time Gygaxstein. And it's super fun to do. Use your existing RPGs. It works well with Classic Traveller as I can attest to. 1:1 time Gygaxsteins can be used with any game, really. There are multiple blogs attesting to this. Including my own. When you play this way, so many things start to make sense. That lightbulb will go off and you'll realize this is how RPGs were always meant to be played. And people played them wrong for so long. It's all player driven as opposed to being some grand design of the GM that players are dragged through. Your players start to take initiative and interact with the game world in ways the GM doesn't anticipate, the patrons will shape the world through their actions. War, diplomacy, territory acquisition, giving quests to players and manipulating them, it's hard to talk about generally because your players will do different things. You don't need to take my word for it. Try it out.

Jeffro wasn't even a sperm in his daddy's sack when D&D was published. Everyone knows that Gary was a shitty writer which is why the D&D versions not written by him were the most financially successful. So Jeffro wasn't alive when D&D was first published. He never participated in the original games either, so he's talking out of his ass like the typical moronic millennial.

Gary didn't invent RPGs by himself. In fact, others before him did. He just managed to work with one of the original DMs to make D&D. I just hate it when idiots like you ignore David Wesley and Dave Arneson. Without Wesley there would be no RPGs. He's the one that started it with Braunstein. Arneson took Braunstein to the fantasy world.

Chainmail isn't referenced at all in AD&D 1E. It had been removed in AD&D 1E, and by that time Basic as well, had their own complete combat system. Miniatures were always part of the rules.

I'm laughing at you because you're spewing so much shit out of ignorance because you weren't alive then and you haven't read the rules.

Why would I use an idiotic example meant for 100s of players with 3-4 DMs in a 2-6 player game? You're the one missing the forest for the trees. 1:1 time was necessary for the time and it was an example of the rules on keeping time. That's the part you overlooked. It doesn't matter how you structure time in your game. What does matter is that you track time.

Oh your one to one time wouldn't work with my campaign setting. The timekeeping method I use is a year is broken down into 4 three month long turns. Each turn is further broken down into 3 one month action rounds. The players can choose what they want to do for the month. Using the idiotic 1:1 means that it would take 1 full year to resolve 12 action rounds and you can't skip it either. Also, we would have to play daily just to resolve things.

The other idiotic thing about 1:1 time as postulated by the supreme retard Jeffro is that your characters are functionally braindead that they are unable to sleep, shit, defend, etc... when the player isn't there. Have you ever wondered why Jeffro's campaigns never last for more than a few months? He's always whining on Twatter about how his campaigns fall apart and that he suffers from extreme burn out.

Jeffro's scam is him charging people to be patrons in order to pay to win.

Last edited:

NwNgger

Educated
Gary didn't invent RPGs by himself. In fact, others before him did. He just managed to work with one of the original DMs to make D&D. I just hate it when idiots like you ignore David Wesley and Dave Arneson. Without Wesley there would be no RPGs. He's the one that started it with Braunstein. Arneson took Braunstein to the fantasy world.
IF you were to read Jeffro's blog, he makes several references to Wesley. Who he credits with creating the Braunstein. No one is ignoring him.

Why would I use an idiotic example meant for 100s of players with 3-4 DMs in a 2-6 player game? You're the one missing the forest for the trees. 1:1 time was necessary for the time and it was an example of the rules on keeping time. That's the part you overlooked. It doesn't matter how you structure time in your game. What does matter is that you track time.

Oh your one to one time wouldn't work with my campaign setting. The timekeeping method I use is a year is broken down into 4 three month long turns. Each turn is further broken down into 3 one month action rounds. The players can choose what they want to do for the month. Using the idiotic 1:1 means that it would take 1 full year to resolve 12 action rounds and you can't skip it either. Also, we would have to play daily just to resolve things.

The other idiotic thing about 1:1 time as postulated by the supreme retard Jeffro is that your characters are functionally braindead that they are unable to sleep, shit, defend, etc... when the player isn't there. Have you ever wondered why Jeffro's campaigns never last for more than a few months? He's always whining on Twatter about how his campaigns fall apart and that he suffers from extreme burn out.
So from your autistic rage you've come up with a stupid misconception that anyone who's run a 1:1 time campaign could easily disprove.

players don't starve to death. At best, if you have players who were stupid enough not to plan their time in a dungeon or dangerous area in advance to match up with session time they leave or find a safe place until the next session. Until the next session happens, they're in downtime which is simple to manage if you have Discord. Just message your GM with what you plan to do during downtime. How hard is it to message the GM during a coffee break at work? "I go back to camp to heal up." If you have managed things properly because you're not a manchild who expects the GM to do all the work for you, downtime only happens during travel or resting in a town. That's the time for you to spend gold and XP instead of wasting a session doing that. And it's normally assumed your basic needs are taken care of. You packed rations before travel? You have enough gold for room and board in the local inn? But this is all the responsibility of the players. If they can't make a session or don't have the time don't plan a session for the time they don't have. It's not rocket science and you're deliberately making things up to be mad about.

View attachment 51271

View attachment 51273

Jeffro wasn't even a sperm in his daddy's sack when D&D was published. Everyone knows that Gary was a shitty writer which is why the D&D versions not written by him were the most financially successful. So Jeffro wasn't alive when D&D was first published. He never participated in the original games either, so he's talking out of his ass like the typical moronic millennial.

Chainmail isn't referenced at all in AD&D 1E. It had been removed in AD&D 1E, and by that time Basic as well, had their own complete combat system. Miniatures were always part of the rules.

I'm laughing at you because you're spewing so much shit out of ignorance because you weren't alive then and you haven't read the rules.

Jeffro's scam is him charging people to be patrons in order to pay to win.
I've not really heard of this style of game before. But the way you're going on makes very confused. Are you actually so personally offended you're trying to rant without any real arguments. Before you continue, I started playing B/X DnD in the year 1980 as a fully grown adult. I own the AD&D 1e DMG and I'm most likely older than you and a damned sight more mentally healthy too. Hell to be honest...
So from your autistic rage you've come up with a stupid misconception that anyone who's run a 1:1 time campaign could easily disprove.

players don't starve to death. At best, if you have players who were stupid enough not to plan their time in a dungeon or dangerous area in advance to match up with session time they leave or find a safe place until the next session. Until the next session happens, they're in downtime which is simple to manage if you have Discord. Just message your GM with what you plan to do during downtime. How hard is it to message the GM during a coffee break at work? "I go back to camp to heal up." If you have managed things properly because you're not a manchild who expects the GM to do all the work for you, downtime only happens during travel or resting in a town. That's the time for you to spend gold and XP instead of wasting a session doing that. And it's normally assumed your basic needs are taken care of. You packed rations before travel? You have enough gold for room and board in the local inn? But this is all the responsibility of the players. If they can't make a session or don't have the time don't plan a session for the time they don't have. It's not rocket science and you're deliberately making things up to be mad about.
This sounds extremely similar to a play by email campaign I played for Traveller back around 97-ish. It was real time, we played by email posts and had in person sessions when called for. No one starved to death. Who cares about that? We just assumed we had food on the ship and we made sure to line up the in person games with our schedules. It was really fun. We used minis for a few big wargame style conflicts. If we didn't turn up for a session we just left a email with what we wanted to do. Job done. I can't help but feel James is making up a problem to be mad about here if I can think of a solution based on my own half remembered experiences from 30 years ago

I think I have to go read this Jeffro guy's blog for more info. It really doesn't sound all that far fetched and if it's making certain people seethe this much I really need to look at it to form my own opinions.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
IF you were to read Jeffro's blog, he makes several references to Wesley. Who he credits with creating the Braunstein. No one is ignoring him.

Why would I read the retard's blog? You ignored him. You just lied.

I'm not angry princess. I'm laughing at you. I know all about 1:1 time. Yet, I'm citing those very people that have played 1:1 time and stated their characters died from starvation to random encounters that they couldn't defend against etc... I have no misconceptions on 1:1 time. I find the entire thing to be stupid when you have a group of 2-6 players and you already have a rigid time system in place.

Tell princess, how you would run my setting using 1:1 time?

players don't starve to death.

Sure princess, they don't starve and they aren't attacked when the player isn't in control as the game is paused right? Not everyone is on Discord either. I'm just stating what I've read from players that were in 1:1 games. What do they know right?

I've not really heard of this style of game before. But the way you're going on makes very confused. Are you actually so personally offended you're trying to rant without any real arguments. Before you continue, I started playing B/X DnD in the year 1980 as a fully grown adult. I own the AD&D 1e DMG and I'm most likely older than you and a damned sight more mentally healthy too.

If you were alive back then you should have been well versed in this style of play. We can tell you didn't read the AD&D 1E DMG because that's where the entire thing was written as an example for campaign time.

I started playing in 1984 with AD&D 1E. No, we didn't do 1:1 time because it was stupid for a small group of players. The only thing that mattered what having a calendar in the world for the passage of time.

NwNgger

Educated

Why would I read the retard's blog? You ignored him. You just lied.

I'm not angry princess. I'm laughing at you. I know all about 1:1 time. Yet, I'm citing those very people that have played 1:1 time and stated their characters died from starvation to random encounters that they couldn't defend against etc... I have no misconceptions on 1:1 time. I find the entire thing to be stupid when you have a group of 2-6 players and you already have a rigid time system in place.

Tell princess, how you would run my setting using 1:1 time?

players don't starve to death.

Sure princess, they don't starve and they aren't attacked when the player isn't in control as the game is paused right? Not everyone is on Discord either. I'm just stating what I've read from players that were in 1:1 games. What do they know right?

I've not really heard of this style of game before. But the way you're going on makes very confused. Are you actually so personally offended you're trying to rant without any real arguments. Before you continue, I started playing B/X DnD in the year 1980 as a fully grown adult. I own the AD&D 1e DMG and I'm most likely older than you and a damned sight more mentally healthy too.

If you were alive back then you should have been well versed in this style of play. We can tell you didn't read the AD&D 1E DMG because that's where the entire thing was written as an example for campaign time.

I started playing in 1984 with AD&D 1E. No, we didn't do 1:1 time because it was stupid for a small group of players. The only thing that mattered what having a calendar in the world for the passage of time.
Jesus christ you're just nitpicking you absolute sperg.

You've made numerous claims. I'd really like you to cite your sources if you want to convince people you're right. So far at a cursory glance I'm looking at multiple different blogs from these BrOSR types. They all seem to be having fun. They're doing more to convince me that this is a decent style of play than you are convincing me it isn't. But you keep claiming this style of play isn't going to work. And that Jeffro is a scammer. I'd really like proof of that one because I've yet to see any hint of monetization from any of these people. You call someone a two year old when you're clearly tantruming at someone disagreeing with you. I am asking you to actually prove what you're saying to be correct. Not just your subjective, childish opinion. I'm seeing testimonials based on live play reports that refute your argument that this style of play is bad or impossible to do with small groups. That's instantly more informative than whatever you're waffling about.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Oh wow someone is really upset. I did post up the pages of the AD&D 1E DMG where 1:1 is used as an example. What's the matter I thought you were an adult when it was released and had it?

I don't have to do anything.

Would kindly pull your head from your ass and tell me where I said that this style of play didn't work? I said it didn't work for the way my campaign setting's timekeeping is set up.

You truly are stupid aren't you?

Bara

Arcane
Gona agree with Dixon on "It doesn't matter how you structure time in your game. What does matter is that you track time."

The argument that 1:1 time play is some kind of missing link as politely as I can put it just seems absurd.
Like not only AD&D but even OD&D Volume 3 had this on time on pages 35 & 36:
As the campaign goes into full swing it is probable that there will be various groups going every which way and all at different time periods. It is suggested that a record of each player be kept, the referee checking off each week as it is spent. Recon the passage of time as thus:

Dungeon expedition = 1 week
Wilderness adventure = 1 move = 1 day
1 Week of actual time = 1 week of game time

The time for dungeon adventures considers only preparations and a typical, one day descent into the pits.

The time for Wilderness expeditions would include days of rest and recuperation.

Actual time would not be counted off for players "out" on a Wilderness adventure, but it would for those newed in their ens, hideholes, keeps, castes, etc., as well as for those in the throes of some expedition in the underworld.
Does not seem to suggest 1:1 for everything is the way its meant to be and all it's about is keeping accurate time tracking going in order to keep a meaningful campaign running.

Whether that style of play that style of play is fun and works maybe? I just don't see how it changes the game to be better or worse.
Having multiple groups interacting the game world in separate ways and their actions bleeding into each other games can be cool but I really don't think you need 1:1 time to run that.

If it helps you keep track of time and your players are having fun more power to you.

But ultimately, this thread was about your campaign so while I don't agree on the necessity of how it needs that really doesn't matter here at all.
Run your campaign and post you content, session plays are always neat to read.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Confirmation exists from players in Gygax's Greyhawk campaign that he did not referee in a manner that forced players to abandon characters for the same amount of real-time that the characters were spending game-time traveling, recuperating, training, and so forth. As with many other aspects of the original Dungeons & Dragons rules, the section on timekeeping is a bit muddled, but the intent is to keep track of multiple groups of characters who might be exploring the same megadungeon (Castle Greyhawk), made somewhat clearer in Gygax's AD&D rules. This is related both to the Greyhawk campaign's focus on a megadungeon and to Gygax operating with a floating group of players, each of whom might have multiple player-characters in the Greyhawk campaign, though only one PC would be played in any particular session. Having such a large group of players was in part a relic of D&D's roots in wargaming; as the number of groups playing D&D expanded, it soon became typical for a Dungeon Master to be running a campaign for a smaller, fixed group of players, all of whom would attempt to attend every session, playing the same characters, except when PCs died and needed to be replaced. These groups wouldn't need the same type of timekeeping employed by Gygax, regardless of whether they were focused on a single megadungeon, and even Gygax fast-forwarded game-time as much as possible, while attempting to avoid inconsistencies between groups of PCs operating simultaneously in his campaign world.

Mentzer-on-Time-Keeping.png

NwNgger

Educated
I don't think I will post anymore reports here. I don't want to have to deal with autistic arguments full of minutae and nitpicks. It's draining when I just wanted to talk about the cool campaign I'm running. It's frustrating when people insist this style of play won't work, is bad, is stupid, etc when I'm actively running the game and refuting that. I don't want to have to post my reports and then deal with more autists screeching. I just want to run the campaign.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
I don't think I will post anymore reports here. I don't want to have to deal with autistic arguments full of minutae and nitpicks. It's draining when I just wanted to talk about the cool campaign I'm running. It's frustrating when people insist this style of play won't work, is bad, is stupid, etc when I'm actively running the game and refuting that. I don't want to have to post my reports and then deal with more autists screeching. I just want to run the campaign.

Nobody said that your style of play didn't work. You can read right? What did I say? I said that the entire 1:1 time was an example in the AD&D 1E DMG. You thought I was retarded so I posted up the actual rules. You went off into the woods saying some of the dumbest shit around then accusing me of what you were doing.

I don't give a damn how you play. You can play naked while skydiving and I don't care.

Do you need a tissue child?

Bara

Arcane

Shame, but fair enough. I'll just point out your letting yourself get bullied off from posting about your campaign by one guy.
A guy that hasn't for months even updated his own campaign threads and just gets in fights with people most of the time.

Like the ignore button does exist if you need it, but anyhow best of luck to your campaign may you and your players have a blast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom