Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    Mazzarin has been around for ages and The White Mage is a pretty big fan of his:
    Knowing The White Mage's obsessions, I would not be surprised if he would know these kinds of details. And despite Mazzarin's sense of flamboyance, after the ridicule we gave him for it last time, I think he might send us something more austere. Plus, I cannot imagine Mazzarin suddenly being so very fond of us. We pissed him off something fierce last time we met (we ridiculed him, denied him the opportunity to eradicate three of his archenemies, and then took his apprentice). On top of that, if the watcher's amulet is any indication, Mazzarin could just contact us through our amulets instead of bothering with mail.

Also, flopping to Aii, Aiv, Av.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    ^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Well, the letter is written ambiguously. There isn't anything in it that would suggest a sincere fondness, and Mazzarin fancies himself a gentleman - a mask that quickly comes off in a moment of anger, but he still found it in himself to 'thank' his saviors (while putting a leash on them) and part graciously. It is how he does things.

Still, the tone of the letter is unusual, the contents even more so, and mindwiping Calaeno so that she has no memory of the event is too suspicious to accept it as a legitimate warning.

I can see two possibilities here.

That the letter from Albrecht is fake and the army was never sent out. I can't see a reason behind this except for maybe make his word look worthless in our eyes. I find it highly unlikely, though, since the siege is now over and we are not reliant on Albrecht to survive - so we can have a luxury of verifying it with him instead of acting on impulse.

And that the letter from Albrecht is real, and the army got into an ambush. I can hardly imagine what forces the Watcher (?) have left to even make it possible. Yes, there is a Hound on the loose, and there are robed figures on the roads, but are there enough to take on an army?

Since the eagle was intercepted on the way to us, an interference from another force seems likely. That lends more credit to the version where the sender of the second letter was the TWM, especially coupled with his continued absense when we know there is no place he would rather be but near us.

I feel that we need to send an eagle there in case they need our help. Nevertheless, instruct her to be wary of potential foul play. These reinforcements may not be what they seem.

Also, I would like to amend Aii to also include informing Albrecht that his reinforcements didn't arrive even after 3 days. I think he needs to know that.

^ Top  
  3. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    I don't want Ai to win right now because we cannot afford to have that kind of confidential information leak to The White Mage. Could you drop that vote, Nevill?

^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    No. I don't see the harm unless you explain it to me.

There is nothing confidential in our dealings with Mayer. Everyone in the city knows about our cooperation, wihat with him fighting over the property with the Great Houses on our behalf. It really does not harm us if someone learns he invested 600 WPs of our money to gain further 120 WPs of monthly income, or whatever it would be in his letter.

And as for the situation, TWM knows it far better than we do, with the army of the Watcher's cultists in the city. There is not much information we can leak to him.

The way I see it, we diversify our news sourses and make sure at least some of the information will reach us unaltered. It isn't much different from sending several eagles to Albrecht that you proposed, except we also send them to different targets as well.

Also, for the moment we can easily see which of our eagles were tampered with, so there is that.

^ Top  
  5. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    What is confidential is the exact list and state of our assets, along with whatever more secret information Mayer can inform us about the situation on Myrgard. Our assets are important because if we cannot pay off our debt we become persona non grata fast. It's an easy way to busy and possibly even get rid of us. The bigger issue is that Ai asks Mayer for confidential information on Albrecht and the state of Myrgard. If this information falls into TWM's hands, then considering TWM tried to kill Albrecht before, he would definitely use this info to inflict as much damage as possible.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Amended my vote to send two eagles to the king and send another to intercept reinforcements.

^ Top  
  7. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    We don't need an exact list and state of our assets, and even if we did, this information can easily be procured by interested parties.

And there is no 'secret' information Mayer could know about that we need to be in the letter. We aren't requesting some evidence that would compromise the crown. We just need an opinion of a man who isn't involved in political plays. Much as I respect Albrecht, I can not, and will not, completely trust everything he says, as he have manipulated us to his own benefit and will undoubtedly do so again.

In this case, Mayer is a neutral party, so I'd like to hear his take. His version of the events is unlikely to be coloured by his own political affiliations, for he, unlike Albrecht and his loyal Lords, has none.

Sorry, I am not convinced that we should refuse an independent opinion just because it can be read by our enemies.

I am afraid, though, that the option to send two eagles to Albrecht interferes with the option to send even one, creating a scenario where neither C, nor Aii wins. I propose renaming C to:

Av - Send a second eagle to Albrecht by a different path.

That way those who agree with your points could vote Aii Aiv Av, and we can at least compromise on Aii.

^ Top  
  8. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    Nevill, the letter to Mayer is asking for a candid update on the situation in Myrgard and information about our finances and investments. Yes, we are going to get specific info. That's what Ai is asking for. And Mayer is the sort of man who knows secrets because that is a good part of how he stays on top in his line of work.

Now, I am not saying we shouldn't talk with Mayer. I'm saying we should talk in person, not over mail we know is getting intercepted.

Fangshi, can we interpret C votes as Aii+Av like Nevill suggests?

^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Hey, I was the one who suggested Ai, you know? :) I am saying that I do not need the specifics about our investments.

I see no harm in a general report like this:
    There is a chance that we'll have to remain in the fort for a while longer, so I think there is a benefit in being able to alter Mayer's strategy if we find out things aren't going according to our plan.

Regardless, I added this bit as an afterthought, as the main reason to send an eagle to Mayer for me was his complete honesty with us and the lack of diplomatic embellishments. If there is a pill for us to swallow, we can be sure he won't sugar-coat it.

Of course Mayer knows 'secrets' and has information that can be harmful to Albrecht, he told us as much. The thing is, we aren't asking for it, and we have no need of it. So I find these fears about Mayer a bit premature. He isn't too stupid to understand that an eagle can be intercepted even via mundane means - anyone can shoot a bird down if they luck out, for example. We knew as much when we wrote our letter to Gareth, that's why we avoided mentioning certain topics.

So, no, we are not receiving anything scandalous. :)

I view being able to communicate over large distances as more important than mail security, simple as that.

I suppose you can give your recipients hints - or an outrght warning - that the mail can be viewed by outsiders. For the purposes I am using it for, it makes no difference at all.

Also, Fangshi, is there a 'Bullshit Tactics' skill? Because I feel like we are steadily becoming more and more proficient with it.

^ Top  
  10. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    For my vote add Aiv. Has Berty finally warmed to us? We have shown him loyalty to our troops and is probably thinking "Why do they need me as an insurgent tactical tutor when they got this shit down pat?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I'd like to remind everyone that we still need the army to garrison our fort. I would feel very uneasy leaving about 40 mercs to defend it with the TWM and his Hounds around. We've lost enough people already.

I still think we should turn in into an outpost.

Therefore, even if there is nothing to fight, I think we might want Welf and Hesse to make it to the fort. Only then I would feel confident enough about the safety of our mercenaries to return to Myrgard.

^ Top  
  12. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Certainly I don't see a problem with that provided no one objects.

Possibly, in theory there are an infinite number of skills (hell there is a whole skill set just for fucking...) as I use them as modifiers and descriptors primarily to remind myself what each person is good at.

If there is one then you are making great strides towards it.

Oh he knew he liked the two of them within five minutes of meeting the ladies so I would say he warmed to you long ago.

Now if you want all of his deepest, darkest secrets, well, that will take time and effort like all good things.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    For the moment, all I want to know is how on earth he became a priest. And of what exactly. :lol:

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  14. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Cathulu mby? He got the madness part right.
    :mhd:
    Im more interested how he kept his list mostly normal. Expected more thralls and other extraordinary things, still he was James Bond at some point.

^ Top  
  15. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    A question, Fangshi. What would be the best way to establish ties within the nobility? Can we throw a victory party as an official event? I feel there is a need to negotiate at least some kind of a truce with them.

^ Top  
  16. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well the only way to establish ties with them is to spend time with them but that can be done in a number of ways. Most of the officers in the army come from the noble Houses so you could hunt or campaign with them if you wanted to get in good with the next generation of dwarves. The people that will hold power in a century or two (could be useful assuming Derryth intends to extend her lifespan as most mages try to do).

If you want more immediate influence then you should target the current leaders of the Houses (or their heirs and arrange for the current leaders to suffer accidents). If you want to meet the current heads of the Houses you will likely have to go to a number of social events and meet one or two Houses at a time.

A proper victory party though would also work as it would bring almost all of the heads and their immediate supporters to one place at one time. If the ladies made a good impression at such an event you would likely receive a number of invitations to other events and a fast track into the social circles that now dominate the kingdom.

Another possible route would be through the Silver Flame Club, who knows who you could meet there and if you manage to secure ties to the owner then that could open doors for you as well.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I assume they would hunt ghols? That's their favorite sport, right? I don't think that's an option for our ladies anymore.

What kind of campaigning are we talking about?

What is the lifespan of a normal human in the setting?

It looks like extending one's life is relatively easy in Myth-verse. Every Heron Guard knows how to do it, even though they aren't terribly powerful mages. Even Forcas, who didn't display much in terms of magical ability, knew how to do it. Are there some kind of common methods readily available?

How demanding are these social occasions? We aren't nobles, we are adventurers, so we can't spend too much time on these, but I would assume they would expect us to and will feel offended if we don't. Then again, the dwarven society has its quirks.

I have no intention to have our ladies become Great Ladies, I just want to get to know the Lords and calm them down by clarifying our intentions towards them and the country, as those, I presume, concern them the most. They are afraid of us because we are becoming quite powerful, yet they have no idea of what to expect from us.

I wonder if we can reach some sort of understanding without trading off our freedom of occupation for balls and the like.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    ^ Top  
  18. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Yeah, they would hunt ghôls though if they came across regular animals they might hunt them as well.

Campaigning would involve traveling with the army in some capacity but a lot would depend on what is going on in the Kingdom and what Derryth chooses to do.

Most people die young in the setting but the numbers are skewed a bit by high infant mortality rates, moderate rates of death during childbirth and fairly high rates of violent death (particularly among men). There are essentially two times in a person's life when they are likely to die. They are likely to die between birth and four years old from malnutrition, disease and predation. If they survive that then they are likely to die do to violence, disease, predation or in the case of women, childbirth (most would die between fourteen and thirty).

However if they survive all that then they are likely very lucky or of the upper class. If they maintain a good diet, avoid threats and generally look after themselves then it is likely that their 'natural' lifespan would be around seventy or eighty years.

As for extending ones life it both is and is not easy. There are a variety of means available but most of them come with a trade-off.

Some, like the spells used by Forcas cause a great deal of pain as they slow (rather than stop) the aging of the body. He had maybe another ten years left in him if he took care of himself, at that point the spells would simply cause too much pain for him to cast and he would expire. These types of spells are fairly common and all they really do is slow the decomposition of the body, they almost always carry with them a variety of negative consequences, pain, localized damage, insanity and so on.

The Heron Guard are all subjected to a number of rituals (it is important to note that they do not know the rituals that extend their lives, they are merely subjected to them) which grant them a natural lifespan in the hundreds if not thousands of years. Rumour states that the rituals have something to do with mandrakes roots which might suggest that it is similar to your own spell to prevent aging but you have no way of knowing for sure. The trade-off in the case of the Heron Guard is that they must swear service to the Emperor of the Cath Bruig. They gain a greatly extended lifespan but they forever loose their freedom, it is interesting to note that no known Heron Guard has ever turned against the Emperor or sought to leave his service. Hard to say if there is magic at work there or not.

A lot of the Dark Gods can also extend your lifespan significantly, some can even render you immortal after a fashion but there is always a cost.

Then there is the ritual that creates Shades but the trade-off there should be obvious.

Finally you have whatever it is that the archmages do to remain immortal (likely a great many different things rather than a single 'magic bullet' based on what Nine told you) and the trade-off there is that it takes power, time and knowledge to achieve such a state of being. You really have to work at it.

So yes there are quite a few means that can be used to extend one's life and some are fairly common knowledge though the risks and skill required often limit who can actually make use of them.

The short answer is that they are as demanding as you want them to be.

The more time you spend on the task and the better you do the more of an effect it will have on the nobles though the exact effects it may have might vary from one lord to the next. Some of the nobility spend all of their time at such social functions but many of the more powerful ones have business to see to so they are likely to understand if you occasionally bow out to see to your own affairs as long as you do not insult them or give them other reasons to dislike you.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Just out of morbid curiosity. How do they go about this?

Do they seek out and attack 'wild' ghols? Or do they release captured slaves, give them some time to run away or hide, and then hunt them down?

Do ghols have similar interests as well? I mean, if there ever were survivors of ghol captivity or living witnesses. After all, it is easier for a ghol to outrun dwarven pursuers than the other way around.

Hmm. Can we pursuit a career of cabaret singers and turn the Great Lords into our rabid fans? :lol:

^ Top  
  20. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    They go after 'wild' ones if they can, it is more challenging and 'fun' that way. If there are no wild ones in the area they will release a few slaves and hunt those instead. As most of the hunters are nobles they usually own chariots, teams of dogs, assorted chasers and birds of prey. Even though their prey is faster on foot it is quite rare for slaves to get away. If the slaves used happen to be worth a lot they will even use nets sometimes to bring them back alive and use them again. A good 'runner' can be worth a lot.

Impossible to say for the time being. Derryth knows of no one on hand that she can ask and get an answer from. It would not surprise her though, ghôls are known to eat humans, mauls, dwarves and anything they feel like so it seems reasonable that they would hunt for prey and take whatever they find.

I reserve the right to introduce a fast talking lawyer P.R. guy then. Hell, maybe Berty will do, he could show you how to hit them with that ol' razzle dazzle... :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    Hey, now we are turning this into an anime. Talking magical animals, friendship is magic protagonists, love interest that goes nowhere because of duty, and now thinking about an idol career. We probably should draw the lines somewhere. :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Not to mention leading a double life - magical girls Heroes of the Kingdom by day, pop stars by night. :lol:

And there is a demon from another plane of existence offering us strange powers in exchange for souls. :| Huh, maybe it is anime.

No, seriously, dude, it sounds awesome. Think of all the powerful and extraordinary people we can meet there! It is also a perfect place for recreation - I can't imagine Derryth enjoying herself during official ceremonies. They are stiffling by nature. The dinner at Barings' place probably still haunts her dreams.

It makes sense, is what I am saying. I can't think of a better way to spend our downtime after treading between life and death for two weeks.

^ Top  
  23. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Are the votes closed? If at all possible, I'd like to add that we should send our eagles via 3 different routes (should not matter too much time-wise, as Myrgard is right next to us), and tell them to fly at maximum altitude (3km, or how high can the eagles go?). We don't know is this can prevent the third party from interfering with them, but it does not hurt to try some precautions in case the spell that kidnapped Calaeno out of the air has a limited range, and it is difficult to spot an eagle flying that high in the first place.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    The vote will close in roughly eleven hours and the update should be out within a sixteen to twenty four hours of that.

Sure, those seem like reasonable precautions Derryth and her people would take. If there are no objections then that is how they will do it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Alright, the vote is closed. 1G wins so your forces will split up like so:

For question 2, i, ii, and iv all managed to get a majority so you will send one eagle off to Mayer, Albrecht and the army respectively.

The update will be out in sixteen to twenty four hours time permitting.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.