Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
I can't for the life of me guess why would they kill one of their own like that. Other than that all fetches are assholes, no explanation comes to mind.

Is opening portals considered a taboo in their world? Probably not, as they indended to enter ours. Then what was it?

Unfortunately almost nothing is known about the Fetch. If you encounter another one, and it is not hostile, perhaps you could ask it but Derryth has no idea why they did it and you are fairly certain that you killed all fifteen when you collapsed the gate into their world (it takes a lot of energy to open a stable gate, that explosion was probably visable from orbit...) so you can not ask them.

It may be that there is an answer somewhere in Eris' things, a journal or something perhaps but you do not know and I can't promise anything.

(If you don't find out the answer just ask me at the end of the CYOA and I will tell you but I don't want to do it while the campaign is running.)

If you are really curious however there are a few points that most mages would know about the Fetch:

-they are divine spellcasters/priests and are some of the very few such casters in the setting. The plain of existence they come from has actual gods in a DnD sense that grant them spells and monitor their behavior. This stands in stark contrast to the very hands off approach the few gods take in Myth.

-they tend to be fairly evil and antisocial in general, you have no idea if their attitude is cultural, innate, part of their religion (thus enforced by their god), or the product of being trapped in a hostile world

And that is the extent of your knowledge about the Fetch, I am afraid.

Baltika9

Arcane
Unfortunately almost nothing is known about the Fetch. If you encounter another one, and it is not hostile, perhaps you could ask it but Derryth has no idea why they did it and you are fairly certain that you killed all fifteen when you collapsed the gate into their world (it takes a lot of energy to open a stable gate, that explosion was probably visable from orbit...) so you can not ask them.
Hahaha, something tells me we won't be welcome back on their planet.

Fangshi

Arcane
Baltika9 said:
Hahaha, something tells me we won't be welcome back on their planet.

Well if Fetch assassins show up screaming about genocide then you will have your answer... ;)

Current Tally:
A) -
B) -
C) 11 votes

A) 4 votes
B) 7 votes

A) 3 votes
B) 1 vote
C) 3 (4) [5] votes
D) 5 votes
E) -

A) 11 votes
B) -
C) -

A) 2 votes
B) 8 votes

I will probably keep the polls open till tomorrow to give anyone that wants to vote a chance.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Don't really care about the tower, so I'm fine with what you guys vote on.

So I'll only vote on 3.

I choose A) lets hit that library up again.

Yeah, if this was the standard way of closing portals that brought fetch to this world I can see how they might be a little upset about that. Hmm, we seem to have the gate spell now. I wonder, could we use it to open a portal to another place on this world? Either for teleportation or good old nuclear strike?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why would we ever need to go there?
If you want to get acquaintanced with an eldritch abomination with godlike powers, there is one sleeping in the neighbourhood.

And I am pretty sure you don't want to piss their god too much, lest they pay us another visit.

Wait, did you mean our world?

Jester

Arbiter
Why would we ever need to go there?
If you want to get acquaintanced with an eldritch abomination with godlike powers, there is one sleeping in the neighbourhood.

And I am pretty sure you don't want to piss their god too much, lest they pay us another visit.

Wait, did you mean our world?
If i am correct yes, he meant a opening portal and chain reaction it into tactical nuclear strike. Bit hard to do, but with good scry spells should be possible.

Erebus

Arcane
We've already found a way to destroy the world. I'm so proud of us.

If i am correct yes, he meant a opening portal and chain reaction it into tactical nuclear strike. Bit hard to do, but with good scry spells should be possible.
Indeed, that's the idea. Using it as a teleporter to make ourselves stinking rich or as a magical WMD if nuking something from orbit ever becomes necessary. But I'm not sure if gate can even open a portal on the same world and even if it can, yes, we would need some kind of a scry spell to target it (not to mention our whole circle of mages to pull it off).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Do we even know how to target the portal? It sounds like Eris did the aiming last time.

Beats me, I'm just throwing a wild idea here. Anyway, it would be useful to check her library - she probably has an extensive collection on this very subject.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Ah... thought occurs to me.

If we're somehow able to force the lovecraftian horror back to the stygian abyss...

Its followers may start to serve us. We could appear as a god, as the fetch did.

That would make artifact extraction significantly easier.

With the gate spell it's possible. Of course, we'd need to know the location of our target. I don't know about line of sight though.

Plus, we'd need to somehow make the gate one way.

Fangshi

Arcane
:lol:

Ok, I love the deviousness of using the Gate spell as a WMD. Now there are some problems and difficulties you should be aware of if you want to re-purpose the spell.

Here is how it works:
First you have to set up the ritual, it takes time and a lot of effort to pull off. From start to finish the eight of you were working on the ritual for about five hours (1-2 hours casting plus setup time)

-The First Step of the spell is constructing the framework to support the rest of the spells, this is the first spell Derryth was working on and you had to mentally leave this world to do it. There is a battle of wills involved between the lead caster and the creatures that inhabit the space between worlds. They attempt to read you and find out your heart's desire to tempt you off the path, if they succeed against your will they will use your body as a conduit to enter the world and you die/mutate. They just about got Derryth when they discovered your memories of Henry but Miosguinn has decades of experience and was able to reinforce you. (mechanically Derryth failed her will save, so I rolled for Miosguinn, if he had failed some of the other casters would have tried to help but things could have gone very wrong...)

-Once the framework is set up you need to find your location for the other end of the gate. To do this you need memories of the place (in the space between worlds physical objects are useless only will and ideas have power), so Derryth drew the memories from Eris. At this point Derryth was still the lead caster and your circle was running interference preventing Eris from learning the rituals you were invoking (can't tell you if it worked or not but it does not really matter since Eris is dead).

-Once the framework and anchor were established you turned control of the spell over to Eris who cast the second half of the Gate spell and opened the actual Gate. Derryth was able to watch and "feel" Eris casting the spell so you learnt how to do it (at least in theory), as did everyone else that was present.

-So to cast Gate you need time, enough mages to power it, and memories of the place you wish to anchor the spell to. You do not need that last part if you just want to dump something into the void though so that is always an option just be aware that things can come through from the other side as well.

-the reason the spell became a WMD was because it failed when Amena lost her concentration (seven mages could just hold it together but six was too few). At that point Derryth as the lead mage had a few choices. The Gate was going to fail as the connections between the remaining six mages deteriorated. She could attempt to absorb all of that energy herself (which would kill her), she could try and spread it through the six remaining mages (which would kill some of them and may destroy the minds of others) or she could dump all that energy through to the other side and you get what you had in the update.

-Also, yes you can open Gates between different parts of the Myth world, but you would need memories of the location you want to open to. The longer the distance between the gates the longer it will take to do, the more mages it will require and the harder it will be to set up but once it is set up it will be stable and may even be permanent if you have a sufficient source of power to run it.

-Now if you reached the creature and it was asleep and you had the time you could try to send it back... or you could send it through to Eris' world since you do have its location... :troll:

Kz3r0

Arcane
:lol:

-Now if you reached the creature and it was asleep and you had the time you could try to send it back... or you could send it through to Eris' world since you do have its location... :troll:
We should start practicising then.

Nevill

Arcane
Fangshi said:
-Also, yes you can open Gates between different parts of the Myth world, but you would need memories of the location you want to open to. The longer the distance between the gates the longer it will take to do, the more mages it will require and the harder it will be to set up but once it is set up it will be stable and may even be permanent if you have a sufficient source of power to run it.
So, basically, one more mage and we can blow Muirthemne to the sky? With King Alric and all the Heron Guards? And it can be done with just a group of beginner mages?

How come no one tried this during the wars, either on our side or on the enemy's?

I can't say I like this spell, unless there is some catch involved.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
So, basically, one more mage and we can blow Muirthemne to the sky? With King Alric and all the Heron Guards? And it can be done with just a group of beginner mages?

How come no one tried this during the wars, either on our side or on the enemy's?

I can't say I like this spell, unless there is some catch involved.

:lol: Well you can certainly try... can't guarantee that it will actually work though.

There are a couple things working against using the spell as a WMD historically.

One - it is not a well known spell, the Deceiver cast it once to try and ambush Soulblighter but that was it. It is doubtful that most archmages know of its existence in the first place.

Two - It requires actual clear memories of your target. The Avatara did not have clear memories of the Fallen Lords' armies readily available while the Fallen Lords did not have a clear picture of the Province from which to bomb cities and armies. Balor did use a spell on old Muirthemne that wiped out everything between the city and the mountains to the west and it may have been similar but then Balor did not actually go West in the first place. He left the conquest of the Province largely to his underlings, often with disastrous results.

Three - There are no scrying spells in the setting, if you want memories of a place then you will have to send someone (a mage so you can use them in the ritual) to physically experience it and then you will have to hope they have a good memory or that the location was very important to them.

As for problems with wiping out the Capital for your group:

First, it is possible to block the formation of the gate in the first place.

-Some magical items give off enough undirected energies to prevent a mage from getting a "lock" in the first place. So in cases like that you would have to remove the source of interference or find a way to control it.

-Any Archmage worth his salt will be able to detect what you are doing in the half hour to full hour it would take to open a stable gate (once the anchor is in place anyone with the ability can try and find it, a gifted mage could probably sense it as soon as you attach the anchor). So if you are trying to drop this on someone with real power you would need a way to hide the buildup.

-Alric does know about the spell from the accounts of the men that fought with the Deciever and he has had his mages work out basic counter spells to prevent the formation of Gates within the Imperial District. When combined with the defensive wards in place around the locations both the Palace Complex in Muirthemne and in Madrigal could probably take the best you give them and still survive. Civilian casualties would be near 100% but the military target would still be standing. The Emperor would then likely declare you public enemy number one and set to work hunting you if he was able to detect the spell and trace it back while still open/under construction. It could be used to hit soft targets but do you lot really want to try and wipe out what little is left of humanity?

Second, this is a two way Gate. If you want to dump energy through to the other side it is entirely possible for a skilled archmage or group of mages to push it back through to your side and blow you up instead. If you tried to get cute and use this on Balor back when he was up and about he would probably let you open the gate, wrest control of it from you and then collapse it in on you so there is that to consider. If the Fetch had been paying closer attention or there had been a high priestess nearby it would have been a lot more difficult to close the Gate the way you did and it would become a battle of wills.

So... it is powerful, it is useful but just be aware that there are some very competent mages and archmages out there that will be willing and able to stop you from simply blowing everything up.

It sounds like too much of a bother to use it like that, especially if any target worthy of such an attempt would also have defences against it. But opening a permanent portal to another place on the this world or some other... that would be worth a lot indeed. Fuck, such a thing could make us rich and powerful beyond our dreams. Instant transportation and communication. Think Simmons' Hyperion, only with magic - an empire spreading across worlds.

Fangshi

Arcane
Yep, it could be possible to monetize such Gates and you would break the government monopoly on instant transportation.

Which brings me to the "world knots", the world knots are ancient gates used to travel long distances (between working knots) in an instant and they were key to Alric's victory over the Fallen Lords. Most of them are destroyed with the few still in operation directly under government control. The spells involved in making them work are a bit different than with your Gate spell in that a mage is not needed to get them to work.

So as it stands only the government has access to rapid travel (Gareth has used the knots a few times when he was with the Legion). If you can find a way to open stable Gates and power them then you would be the only competition when it comes to fast travel and trade. You could in theory make a lot of money but it would take a lot of magical energy and safe points under your control throughout the Empire.

But certainly a long term goal to work towards if you want, provided you do not die down here that is.

Baltika9

Arcane
Sounds like we need a personal army of fanatically loyal super-warriors. Like the Rubric Marines, only more doable for us. Like adopting orphans from all over the world and setting them under Drillmaster Gareth's tutelage and then subtly brainwashing them into loyalty.

Fangshi

Arcane
:lol: Sure why not.

Well there are plenty of orphans created by the war so that is definitely possible and you would be doing a service if you took them all in.

If you want you could open orphanages throughout the Empire and recruit, take care of or indoctrinate the most talented.

In a decade or two you would have a fairly loyal army of followers but it would take money, time and magical power (if you want to actually bind them to your control). Very much doable though.

I will give you a whole list of different things you can pursue based on your resources once this chapter ends if Derryth survives and we can go from there.

Nevill

Arcane
Sounds like we need a personal army of fanatically loyal super-warriors. Like the Rubric Marines, only more doable for us. Like adopting orphans from all over the world and setting them under Drillmaster Gareth's tutelage and then subtly brainwashing them into loyalty.
You mean, if The Watcher's necromancy didn't suit us, maybe The Deceiver's mind control will do the trick?

You've ditched that plan when you refused not one, but two orphaned slaves just now, though. You are not cut for this line of work. Too much appreciation of free will and all such buzzwords.

Baltika9

Arcane
Nah, actual physical slavery is just waaay too troublesome. Better yet to make people want to serve, with some helpful suggestions, to make them want to be fanatics. Physical slavery is so ugly, so uncouth: threats of force, and then you have slaves revolting all the time. No, better to make them love you, adore you and reinforce that with some magicks.

Deceiver? Fuck that pussy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom