Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Name and explain your favourite "New Shit"

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Alexandros said:
[snip]
Conclusion and tl;dr summary at the same time: If you're a shooterfag it's logical to like ME2 more, but if you're an RPGfag ME1 is the better game.

I'd say that the usual line of reasoning for those who prefer ME2 to ME1 is the following. ME1 is more of an RPG, true, but it's horrible as an RPG. ME2 is less of an RPG, true, or not an RPG at all, but it's nevertheless good for what it is. Hence, ME2 is a better game than ME1.

Oh, and I didn't feel "like a badass agent with license to do whatever the hell he wanted" in ME1. And I didn't get the "impression of a big place instead of a linear corridor" either. Frankly, the game just bored me to death from the very beginning.

Edit. Oh, and I should add Alpha Protocol to my list above. :oops:

ME1 and ME2 have one thing in common though.
They are both shit although differently shaped shit. Whatever Bio shits out looks a bit different because nobody shits the same shit twice.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
MicoSelva said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Mass Effect 2 wins because of its originality. Sorry, greekbro.

You are (deliberately?) omitting the fact that the ME1 plot is unveiled in the course of the game, increasing in scope after certain points, while ME2 is presented to You in the first 15 minutes of the game.
The main story point may be similar in both games, but the delivery is way better in ME1, making the storyline have much more impact.
Anyone who has been alive to enjoy BioWare's offerings since day one knows exactly what to expect from them, and Mass Effect even goes one step further choosing to lay all the cards on the table right from the get go. (Presumably because they realized they suck at making surprising plot twists.) The villain of ME1 is revealed in the first 15 minutes of the game and shortly thereafter his motive of bringing back something called The Reapers, which btw is a terribly generic name for an übervillain. What can villains with a name like The Reapers possibly want? Destroy the world? Thank you. Reapers as in Grim Reapers.

All you're doing during the course of the game is hunting them down, always at least one step behind and mopping up the shit they left behind. All "clues" you're getting are actually found on the two tutorial planets but after that it's just lock and load. Four planets, lots of cover! Let's do it! It's going to be boring.

Eh, I never was in the closet about liking some of the new shit (not that anybody cares, I know). :M

First of all - I really liked The Witcher. I'm a big fan of the novels, and have read them all, Sapkowski is one of my favorite fantasy authors. We were lucky to get a good translation as well. For example, "Czas pogardy" was translated as "Час презрения", and not as "Time of Anger", etc. But I digress.
I was worried that CDProject will fuck up lore, story and gameplay, with all that returning from the dead business. But they managed to surprise me. Of course they've copy-pasted some of the novels, but overall writing was surprisingly good. They managed to squeeze good visuals from dreaded Aurora engine, which is an accomplishment in itself. I didn't even minded the combat, though it could be better.

tl;dr - Witcher is my favorite new shit.

I also liked Mass Effect, both 1 and 2. It's not a RPG, more like interactive movie with shooter and RPG elements, but in my opinion it doesn't make it a bad game. Well, maybe my reaction was partly beucase I grew up when FMV adventures were all the rage, but anyway. I absolutely loathed KOTOR 1, I hated NPCs, I hated stupid story, I loathed stupid implementation of already dumb concept of dark side and light side. I couldn't even get myself to finish it. So when I heard about ME1, with it's retarded dialog wheel and that it's lead writer also wrote KOTOR1 I preliminary wrote off the game as shit.

Imagine my surprise when it turns that Bioware makes better interactive movies with shootan elements than their RPGs. Overall, I can't say that shooter elements were good, they were poor-to-mediocre in first game, and though they got better in the second - it's still mediocre. Story was somewhat clichéd, but much better than KOTOR 1. But when you don't expect deep and immersive RPG experience, Mass Effect is a quite fine game.

tl;dr: Liked Mass Effect too, haters gonna hate.

And I liked Dragon Age Origins, go sue me. If I'd have played it in 00', I'd say: "WTF is this shit?! Uninstallan!!" Years passed, Interplay lied, Black Isle died. So now when I play RPG's I tend to have much lesser expectations. Dragon Age wasn't a great game, but it was - yeah - good for what it is. It could be better in multiple aspects, combat, story, RPG mechanics, balance, etc. But it's still were an incline in my opinion, although a small one. I hoped that when Bioware would see that DAO sales are better than ME ones, they'll realize that there is still quite big untapped market for RPGs. And they'd really make better second game, or at least more of the same.
I was :retarded:, of course.

tl;dr: liked DAO, suck it haters.

;)
028_Morrigan.gif

I'm reading the URL, her name is Morrigan.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I'm going to have to agree with Mass Effect 1 and 2. I grew up as a Star Wars nerd, so space settings have always really appealed to me. I also had never played a Bioware game prior, which I believe helped me enjoy it more since a common criticism is that Bioware games follow the same story tropes.

As far as story and character development go, Alpha Protocol was a fun weekend rental (fuck paying 60$ for a 7 hour game), and I also really liked Fallout: New Vegas as long as we're considering that "new shit".

And before someone accuses me of liking all new shit, I really didn't care for DA:O, Oblivion or Fallout 3 much.

Alex

Arcane
I really don't like the style of the newer games. The only recent, non indie RPGs I have played and enjoyed were Vampire: Bloodlines, Mask of the Betrayer and Risen. I have tried a few others, such as Dragon Age, Witcher and even Oblivion, but they didn't look like the kind of game I would enjoy. I never tried a bunch of others, like Mass Effect, nor do I plan to try them. I will eventually give a chance to Fallout: New Vegas, but not right now.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I'm definitively with Andyman regarding ME2. I can understand if you're going to say both ME games are shit, but if you're going to argue about the superiority of ME over ME2, I don't know what's wrong with you. Even if you're more into rpgs, you should prefer ME2, because ME1 is that of a bad game, and a bad rpg. I'm not talking about the tone of both games either - one definitively feels less shameless than the other - but just the fucking mechanics... if you absolutely need to play with a shitty inventory and a few more stats that affect clunky combat to get your thrills, I don't know man, go play something else, that's just pathetic. If you're going to start arguing about how ME1 has a more in-depth story and setting, well then I suggest you go get raped

His Dudeness

Augur
Morrowind, first real 3D rpg I've ever played.

Loved everything from the game, the world i's so different from all the other Generic Medieval Europe™, people actually hated me for being of another species, stats and skills actually reflected what your character could do inside the game. Have high athletics and acrobatics? You can do the Batman and go jumping from building to building.

Also the alchemy, the lore, the dwarves, the expansion packs, everything was awesome.

:love:

Also:

Mass Effect 2 was a fun adventure game that ran well in my piece of crap computer and had a class b movie feel that made it pretty cool.

Risen because is gothic with a different name.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
His Dudeness said:
[snip] the world i's so different from all the other Generic Medieval Europe™, people actually hated me for being of another species,[snip]

Ironically, EXACTLY like in "Generic Medieval Europe", as in, the real place in real history. :D

Cenobyte

Prophet
Drakensang 2... I was rather sceptic about it at first because the original Drakensang isn't really better than average, but then Drasa 2 turned out to be a huge improvement over its predecessor in nearly all aspects.

Alpha Protocol... dunno, I liked it. Combat isn't worth mentioning, as is the skillsystem, but the character and plot design is pretty good.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
racofer said:
ITT everybody loves ME2, in their own way, therefore loving me in the process.

I love you, racofer.

I have to add Alpha Protocol to my list as well. I've talked enough about my reasons why so fuck you all if you never read those posts.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Cenobyte said:
[snip]

Alpha Protocol... dunno, I liked it. Combat isn't worth mentioning, as is the skillsystem, but the character and plot design is pretty good.

I concur.

+1

SolipsisticUrge

Educated
ME2, for basically the reasons stated by the horse man. I didn't despise the first game, but the second is vastly superior.

Witcher. Everything about it seemed to suggest I should be despising it, but I found myself enjoying the hell out of it for the titty cards reasons I'm not entirely sure of.

New Vegas.

grotsnik said:
SimpleComplexity said:
MotB...I tried to connect the dots how does this shit makes sense, i couldn't.

Nah, I'm not sure the dots do entirely join up. Or the plot is...convoluted, at least.

If I've got this right...you're rescued by the two witches, who teleport you to Rashemen, take the shard out of your chest and turn you into a spirit-eater in the hope that you'll free the first spirit-eater, Akachi. In the process of this, your soul ends up in the Wall of the Faithless. Then they dump you in a barrow, send Safiya - who's part of them - to fetch you back out of the barrow and bring you back to them. At the same time, they're attacked and killed by the forces led by Araman, Akachi's brother, who coincidentally also worked at their Academy. Luckily for you, the entrance to Kelemvor's Realm and your salvation exists in a shadow realm in the very town in which all of this is taking place, and even more luckily for you, your old sword is the key to the portal. There's also some other stuff about a hag coven and a spirit-filled forest that mostly serves to move the plot on. Simple!

But the specifics of the plot weren't why I liked MOTB. It had an atmosphere that I felt was seriously lacking in NWN2; a strangeness and an offbeat quality that I think is appreciated here.

As importantly, it was clearly trying to be 'different' and hearken back to PS:T but it did so with elegance - it managed to put a hagspawn-dream-wanderer, a schizophrenic Red Wizard, a rebellious angel, a gruff god-bear, and an undead construct that only you can see into your party without coming across as self-consciously quirky.

What else? Interesting moral 'choices'; an excellent couple of scenes with Myrkul and Kelemvor, a theme that fitted with the epic character levels, and one or two areas that even managed to make the NWN2 engine look vaguely attractive (Ashenwood was rather lovely).

And that's why it's my New Shit Pick.

:thumbsup:

Pretty much this (I don't count Spiderweb's stuff as 'new shit', even though the kind of game he wants to make is clearly popomole new shit).

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Fallout: New Vegas is shaping up to be my favorite new shit, but I'm not finished with it yet.

Alexandros said:
Mass Effect had a better storyline. Yes, some of it didn't make sense - but as a whole, it made the player feel much more like a badass agent with license to do whatever the hell he wanted, while in ME2 you are basically the Illusive Man's bitch. Also, the epic scope of the story was prefereable to the boring one in ME2, while the game as a whole was more cinematic and immersive (notice the use of popular buzzwords, in order to keep the newsht theme). Rounding up people is less undead super space agent and more middle-aged bus driver.

Mass Effect 1 was also more of an RPG compared to ME2. Stats visibly affected your performance in combat, you could manage your inventory and tinker a lot more with your weapons and armor, plus the various locales gave the impression of a big place instead of a linear corridor, so you could explore a bit. game.

Well put, this is pretty much why I liked ME1 more. Everything felt bigger and more important as far as the story went. I liked all the weapon and armor skill stats. I might be the only person on the planet that enjoyed the vehicle portions of ME1. I definitely don't understand why so many people had issues with the controls.

ME2 annoyed me when the council still thought Shepard was a lunatic. After the ending of the first game? Really? Of course Bioware just had them go 'lol wut?' to force Shepherd into continuing his work with the now-morally-gray Cerberus :roll:

I think ME2 did a good job at giving Shepherd that heroic feel. Everyone you encounter in the game seems to know/fear/respect him, which makes sense after the events of the first game. I also liked the research stuff (minus the planet-scanning game).

Silellak

Cipher
ME2 and New Vegas are probably my favorite "new shit", though as the horse-man said, New Vegas is basically Old Shit forced to play dress-up as New Shit. Kind of like Ultima V: Lazarus, I suppose.

Sweet, worked in my Obligatory Monthly Lazarus Reference

Alpha Protocol is still below average, at best

attackfighter

Magister
Alexandros said:
Mass Effect had a better storyline. Yes, some of it didn't make sense - but as a whole, it made the player feel much more like a badass

You would love Call of Duty4: Black Ops :roll:

niether game has stellar writing but atleast ME2 made sense. ME1's plot is basically a bunch of vomit at the beginning where you defy probability and not only witness Saren commit a crime, but also view the Protheon artifacts psychadelic story of the reapers. you then tell your commanding officer of these proposterous things and without need for proof he immediately believes you and sends you off to become a spector(note: becoming a spector is irrelevant to the rest of the game). while becoming a spector saren appears and you somehow also convince the council of his crimes, again with no proof, the council sends you off to stop his no doubt heinous plans.

you then travel to 3 random planets and out of the millions of other planets in the universe those 3 just happen to have evidence of Sarens plot, which btw is too complicated for human understanding so don't ask. sarens plot involved cloning krogans, for what purpose, no one knows, you dismantle sarens cloning factory and then meet up with sarens mysterious boss who is an inconspicuous talking spaceship. sarens boss awnsers questions and blows up one of your party members, or maybe it is you who blows the party member up I forget, but either way someone dies and you're on to the next step

so anyways you travel to the citadel via the mako to stop saren, along the way meeting the protheon exposition AI. then you get to the citadel, deliver some one-liners causing Saren to blow his own brains out and then fight his undead body. after undead saren is defeated, Sovereign also dies somehow, and you fly off into the sunset in space :salute:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
New Vegas is the one new shit game, besides Risen, that I'd call memorable. As in, I might do another playthrough one day and I won't forget about it after a few weeks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom