Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Name the game

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Kamaz said:
Though I still prefer Decadence.

I am still of the opinion that "Decadence" has overtones of historical pr0n.
Though this may say more about me than the title :D

It could be latinised:
Decadentia

And you could have that by itself, or perhaps:
Roma Decadentia
or:
Roma Decadere

or if you don't want the overt Roman reference:
Pax Decadentia

Despite my fun-poking up there, I think "Decadence" is a lot better than the cliche-O-matic "Shadow", "Blood", or "Shattered" suggestions.
But then again...the punters will know what they're getting, I guess...

EDIT:
or if it's gonna be really insano - Pax Dementia
...hehehe
...hahaha
...bwaahahahaahhaaaaahhhh
*endless maniacal cackling*

Whipporowill

Erudite
As I've told VD before, I'm not particularly fond of those "Age of" names, very generic and generally hard to remember as a lot of games share that specific part.

How about something containing the words or hinting at certain themes?

Remnants of the Empire / Remnants
Shadows of the Empire (har har - isn't that an extended SW thing or something?)
the Ashen Empire / Empire in Ashes/ Ashes / Ash
Sundered Empire/ Sundered et c

Is the world still in decline, or is it possible that the pendulum has turned? Shouldn't there be some hint at hope/rebirth/possibilites in the title? Or name the game after the character being able to devise his own destiny?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Whipporowill said:
As I've told VD before, I'm not particularly fond of those "Age of" names, very generic and generally hard to remember as a lot of games share that specific part.
Ok, fine, Age is gone.

How about something containing the words or hinting at certain themes?

Remnants of the Empire / Remnants
Shadows of the Empire (har har - isn't that an extended SW thing or something?)
the Ashen Empire / Empire in Ashes/ Ashes / Ash
Sundered Empire/ Sundered et c
You see the problem with these otherwise fine names, is that the Empire thing is just a background, a part of the setting, to explain certain things and events.

Is the world still in decline, or is it possible that the pendulum has turned?
The world continues to decline.

Shouldn't there be some hint at hope/rebirth/possibilites in the title?
There is no hope and there is no need for one. The Empire fell, but whatever's left is in much better shape and much stronger than surrounding barbarian kingdoms. The Noble House in charge wants to keep things the way they are as the memories of the unleashed magic that almost destroyed everything are still too painful.

There are other Houses so it's up to players what faction to choose and which team to back up. So, as you can see any specific name that would hint at what future holds is impossible. You can make things better, you can make things worse, and you can make them really bad. There are only 3 certain things - the fact that there was an Empire, that the past is very unclear, and the journey to the temple.

Or name the game after the character being able to devise his own destiny?
Like what?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Not really, but thanks for suggesting. I know this phrase, but that doesn't fit in. Like I said before, a player will have a chance to change many things giving good ol' gloria mundi another shot.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Decadence works. I know that many people want a better name, but look on the bright side, it could have been something much, much worse and REALLY stupid.

Fez

Erudite
What a great suggestion for a name. I am sure VD will agree.

Seven

Erudite
Mefi said:
Does 'Sic transit gloria mundi' work? Rough translation is "earthly things fade away". Say it a few times before you tear me a new one :?

I don't know where you heard that but I believe that the/your translation is wrong. I think what it refers to is judgement day or something to the effect of the glory of this world fading.

LlamaGod

Cipher
No stupid latin names or omg scary names, please.

One word over-all influenced words work the best.

corvax

Augur
Decadence is just fine. Unless you can come up with something super cool like the Space Hack working title: VD Maximus XII Magnificent...

Or you might follow the recent sequel trend and name your game "[whatever] 2". Just for the hell of it, the herd will think it must be good.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I'm fine with Decadence or Age of Decadence. I don't know why people are trying to come up with other, awesomely generic names, but hey, it's a free country.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Time and the Gods
Tears in Rain
Strawberry Fuck Me Squat

None of which are original.

Age of Decadence is a pretty good name, better than any other suggested so far.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Actually, I can think of some original ones:

Sleeping Gods (cf 'sleeping dogs', eh, eh!)

Shadow of the Gods

God's Decadence

God's Knowledge

MageThiefAssassin SUPERNOVA

Avé

Liturgist
Decadence only fits, if the three main houses/whoever is running the show/the controlling civilisation is actually decadent, if they arent it just comes across as stupid, and I dont see how decadence can refer to the two sides that fought to almost mutual annihilation in the days of olde.

Jora

Arcane
Decadence: Age of the Chosen One

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom