Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Name the game

PennyAnte

Liturgist
Several days ago, VD said he was taking suggestions for the name of his game, with Age of Decadence a working title. That was buried in another thread, and I thought I’d make a new one to consolidate some suggestions for a new title. His quote below offers some plot information.

Vault Dweller said:
Anyway, since everyone hates the Age of thing, let's talk about names. Here is the story overview:

You acquire a map, the map leads to a forgotten temple (as all maps should). The temple used to belong to some deity who played some role in the war that caused the decline. What role, whose side the deity was on, was there any deity in the first place is unclear. It was a few hundred years ago, and all that's left are legends and ruined cities. The legends say that there was a war, and it was so horrible that both sides called for some supernatural forces that fought alongside men. Then again, legends always say that. What happened next is the part that nobody is sure of.

Today three major Houses run what's left of the Empire. All of them would be interested in that temple for various reasons. The gameplay revolves around learning about the map, figuring out the location of the temple, learning about the temple, the war, and related events, making alliances that would help you find and reach the temple, and finally dealing with the temple.

So, what do you think such a game should be called? Temple of the Last God? Some geographical name (Daggerfall, Avernum, etc)? Something to do with the temple? Ideas are welcome.
A few of my thoughts are:

Plot based:
-Shattered Empire
-The Shattered God (or gods)

Setting based (Persian-Roman):
-Trivium (Definition here.)
-Apotheosis (Definition here.)

EDIT:
Here's a couple more:
-Sojourn
-Chains of Honor

Of these, I like Sojourn and Shattered Empire the best. Of those two, I like Sojourn. It has a good ring, I think. It's also easy to "sequelize." Sojourn: INSERT SEQUEL NAME.

As far as I can tell, neither one has been used before.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
Naked_Lunch said:
Sojourn: Electric Boogaloo
*Sigh* :roll:

A couple of others:
-Aftermath (nice and simple)
-Pax Imperium (or just Imperium) You still do have a large, culturally consistent governed area, I think, so this could fit. You also have a peace, if an uneasy one. Imperium does not necessarily imply a thriving, solid empire. It's more about rulership and power. There was, however, a game called Pax Imperia, very similar.

Anyway, I still like Shattered Empire better and Sojourn the most.

Slaytanic

Educated
If the story is not the main forte of the game he should go for a geographical name.

If it is, it should be something closely linked to the storyline ( like that god or the temple ).

I'll try to come up with some names later. :P

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
* Vault Dweller and Crew proudly presents: The One True Role-Playing Game.
Nah, sorry about that one. Maybe it can be the advertising textie? :lol:

* When In Rome...
"Rome" should be changed to the name of the game world or other geographic name, like "Faerun" or "Shannara" or "Baldur's Gate" or something like that.

* The Gods Must Be Crazy!
I have no idea, Spunky!

* Euthanasia
Well, since combat in apparantly non-lethal unless you finish them off, I guess there's a lot of demand for these kind of services?

And I also like Apotheosis. It has a nice ring to it. Try saying it a few times. It's a beautiful thing.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Shattered Empire, Aftermath, Pax Imperium - these are terrible dull names *yawn*
I have seen a lot of games with these names.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Why not simply Decadence? Fallout has great title because its short and expresses the overall game feeling. If he wanted to call the game Age of Decadence (as a working title), why not simply Decadence?

Other than that I liked Shattered Gods, but I wouldnt chose this name for a game that has low-level magic.

Style of makiing up names like "The Something of Something" does really suck. But you can allways get away with single word or, in worst cases, two words. I'd call it even Templarium (in imaginery in-game tongue that would mean temple) just make it sound as I wish. Templos. Or whatever, you can make up words, especially if you are foreigner and now heck of English.

Dragon

Augur
Pax Deorum (The peace of the Gods, need to check latin declination thought)
The forgotten war
Pilum of the Empire
Remembrance
Lost wisdom

Fez

Erudite
Decadence or a suitable one word name would be best.

wesleyclark

Augur
Decadence (in reference to a country, society, etc.) normally implies not only a decline in power, wealth, population, etc. but also one in morality.

Since the overview didn't seem to imply such, does moral decay play some part in the story or the history of the Empire?

Just curious. And feel free not to answer if you feel it would give too much away.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
wesleyclark said:
Since the overview didn't seem to imply such, does moral decay play some part in the story or the history of the Empire?
Yes. Not in the story itself, but it's a part of the setting and background, manifested in factions, their goals and politics.

Decadence is a generic name, but it does describe the setting well, and I do believe that the theme of decadence is represented well. Many of the names that have been suggested here are interesting, but describe neither the game nor the setting. They are cool for the sake of being cool, i.e. Chains of Honor, Wrath of the Forgotten, etc. Apotheosis is cool, but as far as I know nobody is getting deified.

Due to the role-playing nature of the game, there are very few events that are written in stone and could be used as name references.

Saran

Scholar
Shadows of the Patriarchs.

(Which hints at your role as an unknown, ill take it that the different factions will attempt to use your for their own purposes.)

Shadow of the Fall.

(Implies that the world is still suffering from the after affects of the old orders collapse, I.E: It still casts a shadow over whats happening in the here and now.)

Faded Glory.

(Fairly obvious. :lol: )

Saran

Scholar
Spazmo said:
Saran said:
Shadow of the Fall.

'Shadow' is the most overused word in fantasy titles since 'magic'. And The Fall... well...

Kamaz said:
..plus, "of" and "the" kill originality in any title.

How about Shadows Of ZaHa'magra: Of Magic And The Fallen Horde

I think i've just created the most derivative CRPG title the world has ever seen........EA Games marketing division, here i come!

Edit:

Kamaz said:
Great! Just add "Return of the.." and you are da winnah!

Nah, I'll save that for the sequel.

"Shadows Of ZaHa'magra 2 :Return Of Magic And The Fallen Horde -Avail. Q4 2009 on P.C. and Xbox 3"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom