Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Narfox ventures out WeeRPG on Steam

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
There is a third option. Someone else.

There's a fourth opinion, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Not that i am against little small indie project, but the momebt i hear rogue lite, or anything associated with rogue(insert suffix) into the trash it goes.

Rogue-lite is definitely an overused and misused term these days. I see games on steam that have both tags of "Rogue-lite" and "Bullet Hell", which really don't seem to fit well together. It makes you wonder how loose the term "Rogue-lite" can get at that point, if your screen is filled up with bullets. I'm sure there's a few games that could pull it off, like Diablo 2 did with that dungeon that had the lightning spewing bugs. I don't have fond memories of that dungeon and would say it's my least favorite part of the game, but it kind of works - just not well. Even if the dungeon is more open, it's still kind of a pain in the ass. There's a reason why it's better to take it slower in certain areas, because you don't want to collect mobs to the point where you're edging on "Bullet Hell". Then again, I typically think "Bullet Hell" implies that the bullets kill you when they hit.

That said, I'm a pretty big fan of randomized dungeons and areas. I have been since playing Rogue on the Amiga, which came on a demo disk I got with AmigaWorld Magazine. There's something nice about every new game, you don't know where everything is. It's exploration every single time. I wouldn't say randomly generated stuff is the definition of "rogue-lite", though. I would think that you'd need a few more qualities of a roguelike to use the term.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom