Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nazralath: The Fallen World - dark fantasy action adventure inspired by PS:T, Beksiński & Lovecraft

Arthandas

Prophet
https://www.euclideanstudios.com

"Nazralath: The Fallen World is a story-rich, third-person, dark fantasy action-adventure game with RPG elements; focusing on a compelling branching narrative and exploration through a rich, strong sense of atmosphere and world.

Inspired by titles such as Planescape: Torment and Dark Souls, as well as the twisted works of Zdzisław Beksiński and H.P. Lovecraft, the game is our love letter to the occult realms of dark fantasy."

Last edited by a moderator:

Kirliean

Novice
I hope it's good, but... I mean that trailer doesn't really do anything to differentiate itself from any other soulslike.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Big fucking :roll:

"Souls-like", "Lovecraft" - Big red flags.
They use fucking Gmail for their company email. Powered by Epic. No further company info but apparently they are Balkanoids. :hahano:

Codex Year of the Donut
No further company info but apparently they are Balkanoids. :hahano:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCskIsgtdroUomzqUPsf90uw/about said:
A gamedev studio based in Belgrade, Serbia.

Their head is a 3d artist who previously worked for Games Workshop.
Even worse, it appers to be a wimminz or tranny with a furaffinity account.

Uses "they/them" pronouns btw.

Last edited:

wishbonetail

Learned
When an author creates something, he usually has an idea( consious or subconsious) behind his creation. So, we can always recognize an author by his works. When someone tries to copy said author, he usually does it only because it looks cool.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
They're never inspired by the humor or vividness in Dark Souls that helped make it interesting.

vmar

Savant
A love letter to PST, Souls, and Lovecraft? Yea I'm sure this will be great lmao

Herumor

Scholar
Inspired by titles such as Planescape: Torment

Inspired how though? Nothing in the trailer really resembled Planescape: Torment. It's not an isometric RPG heavily relying on dialogue rather than combat. Will it feature portals that transport you to a variety of places? Just saying they've been inspired by something doesn't count for much. They should have shown the parts inspired by said game, rather than just told it. Because all they've shown is Souls-like so far and while I enjoy those games, it's very rarely that one of the off-shoots managed to be decent.

Balkanoids

So what? Underrail was made by a Serb. Point of origin ultimately shouldn't matter so long as the end result is good.

Codex Year of the Donut
Amusingly, Dork Souls could lay better claim to being inspired by(whether it is or not) Planescape: Torment than essentially any other game claiming such.
How so? Nothing at all to do with what's typically attributed to PST.
It's due to death as a meaningful game mechanic. One of the most underrated aspects of PST.

Arthandas

Prophet
It's due to death as a meaningful game mechanic. One of the most underrated aspects of PST.
See, now I know you never actually played PS:T, if you had, you'd known it has zero impact from gameplay perspective. All it changes is the amount of hostile shades in the last dungeon and nothing else. It doesn't really matter whether you died 1000 times or never.

Amusingly, Dork Souls could lay better claim to being inspired by(whether it is or not) Planescape: Torment than essentially any other game claiming such.
How? PS:T is a very introspective journey of the NO, the world doesn't matter, only finding yourself does. DS is the complete opposite, you're just a nameless blob with no personality, nothing you do matters, you're just one of many and whether you prolong the age of fire or not is of no consequence as others will come after you. IMO completely different experiences.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I assume Rusty meant that death in PST wasn't simply a game over state, like it is in every other game.

Codex Year of the Donut
See, now I know you never actually played PS:T, if you had, you'd known it has zero impact from gameplay perspective. All it changes is the amount of hostile shades in the last dungeon and nothing else. It doesn't really matter whether you died 1000 times or never.
Might want to go check the game files for the global death variable counter and where it's checked
:?

oh and if you die over 20 times you get a unique bonus regret choice

Last edited:

wishbonetail

Learned
Inspired how though? Nothing in the trailer really resembled Planescape: Torment. It's not an isometric RPG heavily relying on dialogue rather than combat. Will it feature portals that transport you to a variety of places? Just saying they've been inspired by something doesn't count for much. They should have shown the parts inspired by said game, rather than just told it. Because all they've shown is Souls-like so far and while I enjoy those games, it's very rarely that one of the off-shoots managed to be decent.
Having PST and Beksiski in the same sentence, I presume they inspired by surrealism in art.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrealism

IronProphet1

Euclidean Studios
Developer
Hey there! Developer of the game here. Noticed a few assumptions and questions in this thread I'd like to clarify.

The game is not a Soulslike in any sense of the word, it is a dialogue-driven branching narrative with occasional combat and bosses. Understandably, it's not discernible from the announcement trailer alone, which is meant to be nothing more than a fancy way of us saying "hey everyone, we're making something cool". Combat is a lot more bombastic to put into a marketing trailer than clicking through dialogue menus, as you might imagine, but we understand it makes the CRPG crowd a little skeptical of our name-dropping a classic game.
Planescape: Torment is by far the big influence of the gameplay experience, while the atmosphere of Souls remains a, as everyone has noticed, visual inspiration. If you're still unsure of this fact, nothing is stopping you from waiting until we show some proper gameplay down the line.

Big fucking :roll:

"Souls-like", "Lovecraft" - Big red flags.
They use fucking Gmail for their company email. Powered by Epic. No further company info but apparently they are Balkanoids. :hahano:

This is super uncalled for.

Even worse, it appers to be a wimminz or tranny with a furaffinity account.

Uses "they/them" pronouns btw.

This is completely false and is by far the weirdest comment anyone has ever made about me on the internet.

Anyway, glad I could clear things up. Thanks for your time!

Riskbreaker

The game is not a Soulslike in any sense of the word, it is a dialogue-driven branching narrative with occasional combat and bosses. Understandably, it's not discernible from the announcement trailer alone, which is meant to be nothing more than a fancy way of us saying "hey everyone, we're making something cool". Combat is a lot more bombastic to put into a marketing trailer than clicking through dialogue menus, as you might imagine, but we understand it makes the CRPG crowd a little skeptical of our name-dropping a classic game.
So I guess it was wrong to place this thread here as it indeed belongs in the cRPG containment area forum.

Just one thing: ne primaj se na Rastija, tip je najveći deo vremena toksičan, udara kontre gde god stigne, sve u svemu malecni trolčić ljubi ga tatko. Svi koji su proveli iole nešto vremena ovde su navikli na njega.

Zenithsan

Educated
I find it so bizarre when games namedrop their "influences" in a marketing way.

Just imagine in movies how stupid it sounds

"Check out my new movie! Inspired by Casablanca and Citizen Kane, it also has the script style of Solaris and the actor direction of The Godfather!

Anyway, don't get mad dev, I'll probably buy it anyway. Even if you're a fucking tranny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom