Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Need for Speed: Shit?

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
Anyone tried it? Does it live up to ITZ name? How does it compare to say High Stakes and Porsche Unleashed which were imo the last decent titles in this arcade series?

P.S: DISCUSS!! DISCUSS!!1

It's out already? I was kind of interested because of the focus on in-cockpit view and G-force and whatnot.

fastpunk

Arbiter
It's been out since the 15th. Looks very much like an enhanced and refined version of NFS ProStreet. So if you liked that game then you'll like this one. Me, I can't wait to try it and blast through Eau Rouge on Spa Francorchamps at full speed.

baronjohn

Cipher
I've played this for a bit and it's daft. And it runs like shit too.

You can tell a game is shit when it takes 100 logos and screens and warnings to get to the fucking game.

NFS1 4ever

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
baronjohn said:

You can tell a game is shit when it takes 100 logos and screens and warnings to get to the fucking game.

NFS1 4ever

Well I played it and think it's awsome. Runs fine on my rig.

Shift is much more like a real racing sim (when played on highest difficulty), than previous versions, which is probably why I like it as I'm into simulators like GTR, rFactor and especially iRacing. Make no mistake though, this is still an arcade game, just the driving/car physics are much better than previous NFS titles and you actually race on real tracks as a racing driver rather than a fucking outlaw/hooligan. Graphics a freaking beautifil too.

Edit: Here's a link to IGN's review. They have a video review too which is worth seeing. (Yeah, I know IGN is shit - but this review is actually pretty spot on).

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/102/1023587p1.html

baronjohn said:

Consolitis bro.

Lothers

Scholar
It is so difficult that on highest difficulty setting you can't loose in drifting and points you earning are going CRAZEE, unless in multiplayer, I didn't check, I've just got it, although you can set up almost everything in your car...

catfood

AGAIN
So they finally ditched the gangsta rap, bling bling and street drama? This might be the first time since Porsche that a NFS title would interest me. As I gathered from the IGNoramus video review there still isn't any car damage unfortunately, is this correct?

fastpunk

Arbiter
catfood said:
So they finally ditched the gangsta rap, bling bling and street drama? This might be the first time since Porsche that a NFS title would interest me. As I gathered from the IGNoramus video review there still isn't any car damage unfortunately, is this correct?

I think you're wrong. I've seen gameplay vids on Youtube where the cars would get banged up. Damage probably works like in ProStreet, you get different damage levels, only the higher ones affecting performance, and you obviously get to pay for repairs, unless you've got repair markers (which in ProStreet where a plenty).

Lothers

Scholar
Emotional Vampire said:
So it's an RPG?

By latest standards in genre pretty much... Yes.

catfood said:
As I gathered from the IGNoramus video review there still isn't any car damage unfortunately, is this correct?

No it's not. Car damage is there and rather extensive.

In summary it's ProStreet on steroids.

catfood

AGAIN
fastpunk said:
catfood said:

I think you're wrong. I've seen gameplay vids on Youtube where the cars would get banged up. Damage probably works like in ProStreet, you get different damage levels, only the higher ones affecting performance, and you obviously get to pay for repairs, unless you've got repair markers (which in ProStreet where a plenty).

Well I lost interest in NFS at around Underground 2, so I had no idea they added damage again in ProStreet. And if it also affects performance then all the better. I'll give this a spin after all.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So another shitty annual NFS that is a copy of a previous one? Surprise - surprise. Why do you even bother bothering about a game that is just a money-grabbing conveyor that had nothing new for nearly a decade now.

Dmitron

Arbiter
If it ain't exotic cars driving A to B tracks set in exotic locations with traffic and aggressive cops, I don't give a shit.

This is EA's Grid. I already own Codemaster's Grid. I don't need two.

A user named cat

This is simply EA's GTR, considering it had the GTR guys working on it and more tweakable parameters than any NFS before. Obviously it doesn't match up as far as being a hardcore sim, but for a mainstream racing game it's as close as you'll get. The two main problems with it are terrible load times (30 seconds a track) and there's a bit too much sliding when taking turns basically promoting drifting. Still a good, challenging game though and definitely a step up above previous ricers in the series. But if you're looking for a next-gen version of rFactor and such, keep dreaming.

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
Dmitron said:
If it ain't exotic cars driving A to B tracks set in exotic locations with traffic and aggressive cops, I don't give a shit.

Exactly. Where is the fun if you don't have the chance to finish the race on busted tires with your junk looking like a beat up wreck from the scrapyard, having the passing train run over the pursuing cops and beating the shit out of your opponents at the same time. The series was basically killed by FAST&FURIOUSLOLCOOL fame.

Herbert West

Arbiter
I'm, perfectly fine with r-factor with various plugins, some of which are just briliant and my force feedback wheel. Therefore I have Formula 1 sim with 2007 tracks and cars, F1 1979 with all tracks and cars (my #1 mod), Champcar, Le Mans LMP1,2 and GT1 class, Caterham Super 7, Renault Megane Cup, the whole Nurburgring and loads of other stuff. I just don't need anything else, so I'll pass on NFSS, since it's Grid- like and my copy of Grid is sitting on my shelf, collecting dust.

A user named cat

It's nothing like Grid, I don't even see why the two are being compared.

Grid is an easy handling, arcade based game focused mostly on by its visuals. The cars handle like lego toys. Shift is a hell of a lot tougher, has real world based tracks, more realistic audio, much better vehicles, a ton more tweakable options, engine upgrades akin to Gran Turismo and a Simbin-lite touch. Tier 2 and up offer a lot of fun, challenging races.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom