Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Need for Speed : Unbound

Reever

Scholar
Patron
I have no idea. I loved it. I'd be curious about mods for a second run though.
I think the mod is called Unite. Not sure if it's good or not since I never played the game.
I do want to play a more recent arcade racing game so I'll just wait to see what the response is to Unbound and if it's shit I'll probably get Heat.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I thought the driving was arcade-y ‘n fun enough to spend a couple afternoons playing Heat, but I also enjoyed NFS2015 driving so..

Modron

Arcane
One thing I really hated about Heat was the soundtrack which had more decent songs on it than Payback's but they broke up song availability along the lines of daytime driving around, daytime racing events, nighttime driving and nighttime driving. The problem was that the nighttime cruising around selection was just god awful to the point of me turning off music in the main menu whenever I had to build reputation.

typical user

Arbiter
I've seen the trailer and this is NFS: Heat: Anime.

Heat was decent game although the drift mechanic is quite annoying plus the story was way too short and cringe.

Let's see if Porsche RSR will be OP in Unbound too. In Heat it was ridiculous how fast and glued to tarmac it was.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wish money management was better for me, like, 12 hours in and I still feel like
firefox_IbwXtvE0st.png
One starter Mazda, one Camaro, one Mustang, one Lotus, only the Mazda has upgrade budget, literally a hobo simulator.

While I liked Heat, admittedly I haven't played it again after 2020 so I can't compare anything too detailed between these games, been way too long and barely remember anything. But this game definitely feels more competent technically - haven't gotten any bug, glitch, notable game breaking issues whatsoever. There was one time my car got flipped and the game refused to reset it, but aside from that it feels perfectly polished, probably the most polished AAA game of the year so far. Heat's physics can get stupid at times when you hit a tiny ass bump on the road and the car turns into a tornado - no longer a thing in Unbound.

The cop system has changed drastically but I don't feel so strongly about it. Basically after each race you gain a number of heat level - 5 levels maximum, that amount of heat carries over to night time and reset when starting a new day. Thing is while the cops are less aggressive than in Heat, there's too many of them in free roam to the point that once you reach heat lv3 or above, you pretty much have to check the minimap all the time, can't even stroll around in peace, and if you made lots of money at day then it would be hell to even reach meetups at night. I wish they had capped heat at lv3 for week one qualifier because this is still initial grinding time, it feels super oppressive just trying to earn nickles to upgrade your shitbox while getting ass blasted by Corvettes and helicopters spawning from Satan's black hole. It would also be nice if there's a 30s - 1 minute cooldown time after successful escape where cops can't detect you or the game just stops spawning them for a moment. Right now playing on high lv heat feels like backtracking in Spiders' RPGs, fun moment to moment action but unavoidably repetitive and super tiring.

The rest, I'm mostly positive. As usual, turn brake to drift off. Grip Mazda feels good, I especially like that the boost actually rewards you for taking grip corner. Criterion definitely got cheeky because the first car delivery quest had you drive a full grip Ferrari Pista and it feels maddeningly fantastic. Car durability and nitrous model are improved from Heat too, gas station doesn't have limited repair amount, now they go on cooldown after fixing your car, pretty nice change. Sense of speed esp at over 150km/h still feels great.

For game modes, there's a new Takeover event that's just drifting style score chaining but now with objects to smash - fun but nothing too revolutionary. Races have big risk & reward elements, most races have limited amount of retries (some has none), finish it, it disappears until next day. Rival betting value also increases if your car has lower rating than theirs. Basically you can play it safe, get some money, play some events with $0 buy-in, rinse and repeat, or go betting wildly, make chaos. The game doesn't punish you for not finishing at #1 like Forza Horizon, as long as you make money, it's all good.

Rivals persist through races, each have background and dialogue (not recommend reading them, they're kinda cringe), aside from one dude named Obi all of them are hardcore trashtalkers. Cops also comment when you drive well or get wrecked. I actually like the cartoonish effects, they act like indicators for special actions like taking down cop, successful escape, gaining max boost, etc... though I wish they had made them a bit modular, I like the tire smoke and wings but the emblem that pops up upon landing looks a bit intrusive, and some art pack has nice looking tire smoke but pretty ass wings or vice versa. All the car customization stuff are standard to post-2015 NFS, though I haven't had the time to check out all body kits. After a while the cartoonish effects and character models blend into the environment anyway.

Overall good game, make Heat looks like a tech prototype, warrant the price tag for me personally, but difficult to recommend to non NFS shills because it leans hard to the arcadey style and I can imagine not a lot of people can take the physics seriously. Campaign seems lengthy so I'm putting it off for Golden Idol and Space Wreck for now.

Victor1234

Educated
I used to play Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed, but Interstate 76 was a good game too. The black guy recited poetry.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
A game made for the hip-hop Zoomer crowd lol.

It can be fun, but really gets grindy and repetitive having to repeat the same tracks to get cash. Also surprisingly difficult for a "mainstream" AAA game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom