Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nehrim

overtenemy

Augur
Alt said:
It is much the same as with flightsims: The last proper ones came out in '99 / 2000, Falcon 4.0 (400 page manual ftw!) and Jane's F/A-18. Aside from some 2 notable exceptions, everything else since then has been dumbed down shit.
The decline is not limited to RPGs.

DCS: Black Shark. They'll also be releasing modules for the Warthog and Apache. You really, really want to look into it.

Heechee

Liturgist
Sounds promising. It would be nice if those who tried it could answer some the following questions. Any sign of C&C and branching in quests? Is the world background and atmosphere on par with that of Morrowind and/or Gothics? Is the combat system reworked in any way, is it comparable at least to the heavily modded Oblivion combat, or is it 100% retarded clickfest? Is it an open world with diverse factions, consistent "realistic" locations and little details or rather simple linear theme park ride?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Holy shit, it's truly a huge fucking improvement on Oblivilol. Gives off a nice Gothic vibe, too, with there being tools that you have to use for prospecting and smithing, skills for hunting etc...
Also, there's herbs that give permanent skill bonuses, which also reminds of Gothic and makes wilderness exploration worthwile. With the much better landscapes and enemies (found a spider in a small wilderness area right outside of the starting dungeon, it could cast paralysis, fucker almost killed me), higher difficulty and more interesting item placement, the exploration aspect is really well done.

Just went into the still used part of the mine and did a quest to eliminate rats. The questgiver first tells you that "What? You think you can just go in and swing your swordarm a few times and be done with it? Oh no, the rats always go back in their little holes, you have to close them to eliminate the rats!", which was really quite awesome. Top quality voice acting, too.

This is what Oblivion should've been from the start. Feels more like a mix of Elder Scrolls and Gothic. So far, it's really good.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I'm looking forward to a list of all the improvements on Oblivion you guys have noticed *hint hint*

I wonder if they managed to make NPCs less flat.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Mangoose said:
I'm looking forward to a list of all the improvements on Oblivion you guys have noticed *hint hint*

I wonder if they managed to make NPCs less flat.

Well, the much better voice acting sure helps. And some NPCs even have a bit of personality.
Quests have been rather interesting so far, there has also been one occasion where you had to decide between two quests. You can only do one of them. So there is some choice in the game. If there's any occasions where there's actual consequences to your choices I'll have yet to see.

Alt

Augur
overtenemy said:
Alt said:
It is much the same as with flightsims: The last proper ones came out in '99 / 2000, Falcon 4.0 (400 page manual ftw!) and Jane's F/A-18. Aside from some 2 notable exceptions, everything else since then has been dumbed down shit.
The decline is not limited to RPGs.

DCS: Black Shark. They'll also be releasing modules for the Warthog and Apache. You really, really want to look into it.

Yeah, I know about Black Shark. That's one of the two notable exceptions I was talking about. The other one I thought of was actually the Su-25T in Flaming Cliffs. While it lacked somewhat in the avionics / switchology department, at least it had an awesome FM / DM / subsystems modeling (hydraulics, electrical system etc). And some nice little touches like targeting laser overheat etc.
Looking forward to A-10. Seems to be a real winner. And while they still were not able to come up with a decent dynamic campaign system, this one will at least have a mission generator.

OK, sorry for the off topic.

@Mangoose: I didn't have a chance to play since last time. But I trust JarlFrank will provide some more updates in time.

@JarlFrank: Yeah, I've read somewhere that they meant this quest to be a (not so) subliminal jib at your standard "Rat Problem" quest in most RPGs. :incline:

SoupNazi

What about combat? General movement in Oblivion was a big gripe for me too but I don't think they can fix it as it's an engine issue, but at least the combat could have been revised. Or is it the same block, attack, repeat?

Alt

Augur
The damage that is dealt with an attack (by anyone) has generally been increased, while blocking was made more effective at the same time. Don't know of any more details so far.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Yeah, it's still mostly like Oblivion but deadlier, with more effective blocking. Also, weapon reach seems to be quite important since with a dagger you have to go far closer to the enemy than with a longsword.
I just fully explored the Faldrin fortress, a dungeon full of bandits and an alchemist chick, and found a demon hidden in the lower level of the dungeon who was really fucking hard to kill. Would've been rather impossible if the engine wasn't so fucked up and he's a flying creature and couldn't attack me while I slashed at him from the bottom of the stairs.

Dungeon design in this mod is really good so far. And since you can find plants that give permanent stat boni, gems that enchant weapons (like sigil stones in OB) and magic runes that give 50 experience each, exploration is really rewarding.

The alchemist chick also had some enchanted gauntlets which belong to a set. When I picked them up, a popup told me that there's other armor pieces that belong to the same set. Probably will get a bonus when I wear a full set.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I'm at the beginning still, but it seems to be larger. No fast travel (but added teleport spells and mark + recall) also makes it seem larger since you don't just insta-teleport everywhere.

ortucis

Prophet
I re-installed Oblivion last week to try (YET AGAIN) to finish this fuckup. Spent whole day installing mods to improve and fix the game and DLC's and was about to uninstall the game today after having played it only for an hour since installation..

Now I see this. Whoa!

Retarded game developers (Bethesda, Epic, Valve..) should be charged by modders for improving their clusterfuck or creating something grand and eternal out of the turd they throw out their doors.

*downloads*

Nehrim has an elaborate synchronization. And when we say elaborate, we�re talking no less than 56 professional voice actors and a recording studio from Berlin that got our backs. Regarding this, Nehrim may just be one of the biggest synchronization projects ever having been undergone for a fan project.

:M

krist2

Augur
Patron
Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Started playing this today after seeing the post here.
Finished the mine part, and just got outside. The view that met me is one of my best WOW moments in a long time. Really beautiful! Forests, gorges, lakes, mountains. And the voice acting is superb
The attention to detail really reminds me of the gothic series.

So far I really like it, and recomend it. (Atleast something good came out of Oblivion)

Luzur

Good Sir
ortucis said:
I re-installed Oblivion last week to try (YET AGAIN) to finish this fuckup. Spent whole day installing mods to improve and fix the game and DLC's and was about to uninstall the game today after having played it only for an hour since installation..

Now I see this. Whoa!

Retarded game developers (Bethesda, Epic, Valve..) should be charged by modders for improving their clusterfuck or creating something grand and eternal out of the turd they throw out their doors.

*downloads*

Nehrim has an elaborate synchronization. And when we say elaborate, we�re talking no less than 56 professional voice actors and a recording studio from Berlin that got our backs. Regarding this, Nehrim may just be one of the biggest synchronization projects ever having been undergone for a fan project.

:M

too bad they made it all in german, instead of the more international accepted english (not that it is much problem for me, i can understand german if they dont speak it too quickly or use some local slang).

cubgrace

Novice
You guys got me all excited about playing this thing. When in August is it suppose to be out in English?

ortucis

Prophet
Luzur said:
too bad they made it all in german, instead of the more international accepted english (not that it is much problem for me, i can understand german if they dont speak it too quickly or use some local slang).

I noticed that later. :(

Still, it looks great and I can't wait for them to release the English version. I mean, we have to wait for good RPG's from EU to be translated anyway, I can wait for a mod.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
anyone know when in August they will release the english version?

roll-a-die

Magister
Zed said:
anyone know when in August they will release the english version?
It's in beta right now, so probably early to mid august, but don't quote me on that.

KalosKagathos

Learned
http://www.nehrim.de/dataEV.html
The English version of Nehrim will be released in August.
It's August, motherfuckers, where's mah Nehrim translated in a human tongue?

Skill system looks like a shameless Gothic rip-off. I don't mind, the world needs more RPGs that shamelessly rip off Gothic's skill system.

EDIT: Does it have polearms, the manliest melee weapons of them all? Their lack truly was Oblivion's most glaring fault.

Lexx

Cipher
Played it a while on release. Imo, it's better than Oblivion in every possible category. The only real problem is the shitty dialog system, which came with Oblivion. It's in most cases strict linear and looks like it was a pain to do the dialog work. You are still picking single words and NPCs tell you some big monologue after that.

Raapys

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Just went into the still used part of the mine and did a quest to eliminate rats. The questgiver first tells you that "What? You think you can just go in and swing your swordarm a few times and be done with it? Oh no, the rats always go back in their little holes, you have to close them to eliminate the rats!", which was really quite awesome.
How do you close the holes? My german is rather limited, so I might have missed something. However, I also fear I might have screwed up the quest, since I went into the mine before I was supposed to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom