Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Netjak berates ToEE

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I think we can all agree here that moron is a toolshed. What a dick

JanC

Liturgist
Why so rude? The reviewer in question did not say anything particularly stupid, he just disagreed with you. Swearing and rudeness such as calling someone a moron just makes people lose respect for you.
It is not as if he said something really stupid such as "Why can I only create 1st level characters?" or "The real-time combat makes the game go fast and frantic." He simply expressed a slightly debatable set of opinions.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Read it again, Jan. He faults the game for not warning you when you're in a "spawning ground" and there's nothing in the manual about it. In fact there is a warning when you're in an unsecured location, the tent is yellow and the manual covers this on page 16. That's just from one paragraph, and chrisbeddoes, Exitium, and others in the thread have pointed out numerous other problems in the review, which were flat out false.

This isn't a matter of opinion, Jan. It's a FACT it's in the manual. It's at the top of page 16 in black and white. It's right there on the interface screen as well. It's also in the tutorial for the game as well as the in game help system. He says it's not documented, yet it's documented three times!

Why so rude? Why the hell not? If someone's being a moron, they should be treated as such. I'm not the reviewer's mama here. I don't give a flip if it's harsh. If he wants to stand up and say BEHOLD! THIS IS THE WAY THIS GAME IS with no regard to the facts of the matter, and write a review based on a few rants from the idiots on the Atari forum - then someone should call him a moron.

JanC

Liturgist
A lot of people here just can't come to terms with the fact that TOEE is not all that they were hoping it to be. So instead of blasting Atari for leaving in bugs and being reluctant to pay to patch it, they are blasting reviewers for daring to point out those bugs.
There is a certain quality that a game must meet before it is ready for release, no matter how inspired the design, or how engrossing the strategy. After all, if a game box merely contained a game design document, and a C++ compiler, you'd complain that it needed some work, right? And you wouldn't like it if all the monsters were done in programmer art, and most locations were merely blank white with "Do later" scrawled on them.
I think this is a clear case of the Emperor having no clothes.. but we will see on Saturday, when I get to play it.
On a vaguely related note, one of the players in my D&D group was raving about the game. Of course you will note it is not out yet. You do get punished for being honest, don't you? I asked him about the bugs, and he said that there were a lot, but they did not spoil the game for him. So there is some hope. I can't wait to play. I do like D&D tactical combat.

Astromarine

Erudite
Wow, Jan, slick. You respond to Saint's rebuttal that he, in fact, said some very moronic things in the review, by completely ignoring him and spouting off some generic "yeah well you're just bitter" comment. SAINT responded with a specific instance where he said crap, you didn't. YOU just spouted random abuse.

Who's bitter?

JanC

Liturgist
Astromarine said:
Wow, Jan, slick. You respond to Saint's rebuttal that he, in fact, said some very moronic things in the review, by completely ignoring him and spouting off some generic "yeah well you're just bitter" comment. SAINT responded with a specific instance where he said crap, you didn't. YOU just spouted random abuse.

Who's bitter?
Yeah I am pretty bitter that TOEE is almost certainly not as good as I was hoping it would be. Luckily I have HOMM III complete! (Hurray for e-bay!) Actually I am bitter in general. Grrr. :wink:
Anyway, I think the resting thing is nitpicking. I've been reading reviews for years, and they always get something wrong. He was close. He just got spawn points/random encounters mixed up. A mistake, but they are fairly similar when you get down to it. And his real complaint was the actually fact that exploiting random encounters could make you level faster than he thought was balanced. I have no idea whether this is so or not. The level cap probably makes it unimportant. It doesn't make him a moron, it makes him mistaken.

JanC

Liturgist
Astromarine said:
YOU just spouted random abuse.
I WHAT?? I thought I was complaining about people on this forum shouting random abuse. Having an opinion is not abuse. Swearing at people is abuse.

Astromarine

Erudite
but what people are taking umbrage at is that he CLEARLY AND UNEQUIVOCABLY states something is undocumented, when in fact it IS documented in three separate instances of the documentation, as Saint said. Therefore, he is the type of lazy person who loves jumping to conclusions and mixes his own limitations with those of the game. He is the type of reviewer I hate; the type that when faced with a difficulty, automatically ASSumes incompetence from the developers, and NEVER EVER from himself.

If you're not aware, a term I like to use to describe these, erm, "people" is "Morons".

QED

Astromarine

Erudite
Point to me ONE comment in this thread where someone insulted him for stating true facts about ToEE. I just rechecked quickly, and my suspicions were confirmed. There was none. All comments were specifically about this instance of moronicism, along with one or two others. His legitimate comments about real bugs, if such things existed, were NOT commented on in this thread.

Therefore, you are insulting the intelligence of people here by trying to make this about bitterness instead of the much more reasonable position stated here in this thread.

Therefore, you are insulting them.

Hence, "abuse". Maybe not strong abuse, but certainly a lot less grounded in reality than our own use of the appropriately used term "moron".

JanC

Liturgist
Astromarine said:
Therefore, you are insulting the intelligence of people here by trying to make this about bitterness instead of the much more reasonable position stated here in this thread.
Hey, I was just trying to lighten it up. I'll get me coat.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I have nothing important to add to the discussion, so this is a "me too" post. :)

There is clear difference between an opinion and making shit up on account of being a moron. As for the expectations, ToEE is EXACTLY what I expected, it's a great game and I truly hope that I would have a chance to play other modules, and it would be a fucking shame if this solid game would be shot down because of the fucking idiots who give the game a bad rep just because they are too stupid to read the manual. Spawning grounds?!!!!! :shock: Stop playing EQ, asshole!

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
You know, I was hoping for something similar to Arcanum, but I wasn't expecting that much due to time frame. This game is better than I expected it to be though, and when some asshole just says shit like that, it really pisses me off. I mean, we got a game with probably the best combat around, and he just starts spurting a lot of garbage, which has just been rehashed, as SP put it, from the Atari forums. His review states idiocies and lies, due to laziness and ignorance. This is what makes him a moron in my book, as well I'm sure as everyone else's book. Hell, if I ever say stupid shit like this, I would hope that the guys here would point it out to me in the harshest way possible, just to show me what a moron I was. I haven't though, except throwing around insults like crazy when I'm frustrated about someone or something. But usually, those are somewhat justified. I reiterate my previous posts, this guy isn't just a tool, he's a toolshed, a moron, a man who sufferes genetic faults due to inbreeding, and god knows what else.

Ultron

Liturgist
.....and on top of that, he berated my beloved Bard, Zaxis....with the voice of an angel :shock:

what a buttplug......

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom