Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Never Second in Rome - Roman centurion simulator from A Legionary's Life developer

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.arobertigames.com/never-second-in-rome/

Welcome!

The development of Never Second in Rome began in early 2020. At first I divided my time between it and the occasional update to my first game, A Legionary’s Life, then I devoted myself entirely to this project. I’m thrilled to be able to announce it after such a long time.

You can learn more about Never Second in Rome here.

I have also uploaded a free demo.

Don’t forget to wishlist the game to be notified when it’s released!

https://www.arobertigames.com/never-second-in-rome/features/

Features​

About this game​

Never Second in Rome is a turn-based historical game with RPG and management elements. You take the role of a Roman centurion in the army of Julius Caesar.

In a Republic dominating the Mediterranean World and yet shaken by internal strife, still traumatized by the horrors of the civil war that marked the previous generation, the arrival of a new governor in your province will initiate a succession of events that will ultimately define the future of Rome and its empire.

Starting right before the beginning of the Gallic War, you will assume command of a century in a newly raised legion.

Key features​

• In addition to the main character, you will control the small army unit in your charge, your century.
  • Train yourself and your century, appoint your staff and discover the most remarkable individuals at your service.
  • Fight and lead your legionaries in real historical battles relying on a complex system of intertwined stats.
  • Turn-based individual combat involving not only your main character, but also the soldiers under your command.
  • Text-based events and narrative sections with many Attribute and Skill checks.
  • Great care and attention to historical detail and accuracy.

https://www.arobertigames.com/never-second-in-rome/demo/

Demo​

There is a free demo available for you to download and try out. It contains the initial chapters of the game.

Demo v 0.4.0 Windows
You can wishlist the game here.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you can find this game's trailer on YouTube, post it here.

Sweeper

Arcane
>Infinitron posting about something I'm actually interested in
I, quite literally, have no words. Is this a glitch in the matrix?

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
A real company commander game set in probably the most prestigious military and time.
:d1p:

It’s enough to give you hope. Feels good.

thesecret1

Arcane
Just finished the demo. Very good! It improves on the combat from the first (and, IMO, makes it harder – fatigue is an even bigger factor than before, and you'll be doing a lot more fighting) as well as adds army battles. Moreover, you don't fight just with your MC, but also with the various "notables" that you have in your centurii. Also, RNG has been removed from training – it is now deterministic when you'll get your next rank in a skill.

Unlike its predecessor, you already start out strong – your MC is a Chad that can 1v1 most things. Your centurii, on the other hand, are a bunch of massive shitters (including your notables) so don't worry about things being too easy. Also while your MC may be strong, if he gets too tired it's game over. Reaching max fatigue carries such massive penalties that it's basically a death sentence, there's no easy way to reduce fatigue on individuals, and if you put your MC in the back lines for too long (too long being just a couple rounds) then your soldiers will think you a coward and you'll lose increasingly large amounts of morale and respect. In other words, if you rely on your MC too much, you can find yourself in a really bad spot. Crucially, in a fight, you can't decide to do nothing like in the previous game. In other words, the usual tactic of "oh, I'm near fatigue limit, guess I'll just do nothing while the enemy tries in vain to hit me, then quickly finish him off when HE has too high fatigue" is no longer a thing – since you NEED to do something each turn, you WILL increase your fatigue.

Fights usually last a very short time (5 turns) so killing someone is harder, but on the other hand, the game tracks your actual conduct in the fight rather than just whether you managed to get the enemy below 50% of HP (although that, too, is being tracked). This is naturally because you'll fight a LOT – each round of army fights, there's a chance one or more of your notables start duelling enemies, and each such duel is a fight you need to resolve manually. As for army fights, they're curious – the two armies basically bash against each other and do little damage for the most part, up until they get tired and their front defenses crumble, at which point it becomes a massacre. Each time you manage to kill a unit you deal a substantial hit to the enemy front line, so all those fights, while individually not that important, can become very significant with time.

The gathering food minigame from the first one seems to have been removed from the game. Good riddance, tbh. It was just busywork.

Last edited:

Hellion

Arcane
The Demo is surprisingly lengthy too, I expected it to be over after the first battle but it goes on for quite some time and a couple of battles more. Can't wait for the full release.

Harthwain

Magister
>Never Second In Rome
>is in fact the second game in the series

Is the developer retarded?
He could be quoting Caesar: "I would rather be first in that little village than second in Rome".

Kind of reminds me of "Better to rule in Hell than serve in Heaven" (which is a quote from Satan in Paradise Lost by John Milton).

Overall the point of the quote seems to hint at rising to the very top of the ladder and being in command/control.

TheKing01

Novice
Looks good, not so sure about their inexperienced foray into army management, but still optimistic

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
>Never Second In Rome
>is in fact the second game in the series

Is the developer retarded?
He could be quoting Caesar: "I would rather be first in that little village than second in Rome".

Kind of reminds me of "Better to rule in Hell than serve in Heaven" (which is a quote from Satan in Paradise Lost by John Milton).

Overall the point of the quote seems to hint at rising to the very top of the ladder and being in command/control.
I know I was obviously making a joke

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
https://www.arobertigames.com/never-second-in-rome/demo-version-0-5-0-release-notes/

Demo version 0.5.0 release notes​

• The first two battles have been reduced from 6 Melee Phases to 4. The third and the fourth have been reduced from 8 to 6.
  • To compensate, several values related to battles have been tweaked. For example, successful Advantage Opportunities cause more Cohesion damage, and so do individual conflicts. On the other hand, the Recompact action during Lulls restores more Cohesion.
  • Advantage Opportunities have a base difficulty modifier of -12 now. This should reduce the frequency of individual conflicts a little.
  • The higher levels of Traits and Opinions require less advancement points. This change mostly regards mid and late game balance and should affect the demo only marginally, if at all.
  • The effect of Traits on Troop’s Opinion is no longer applied for each turn, but only on even turns.
  • Share Hardships now assigns 3 advancement points to Troop’s Opinion for each turn instead of 5.
  • For balance reasons, the initial Javelin Potential of the main character has been reduced from 63 to 50 and its Current value from 35 to 29.
  • The Talented bonus feature now increases Potential Javelin by 6 and the Current value by 3.
  • The Sharpshooter bonus feature increases your Javelin Potential by 28 and its Current value by 14. After these changes, this bonus feature should makes a lot more sense.
  • A couple of checks have become a little easier.
  • A few minor fixes, including a typo.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Damn bro, didnt notice this until I saw the 5th anniversary post the dev made on the A Legionarys Life Steam. Looks like the nwe game will be quite different, but the dev sure earned my trust - gonna D1P this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom