Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New AP vid - safehouses and abilities

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
sportforredneck said:
Looks fun. Oh no, you have special abilities. BAWWW.

Lurkar

Scholar
Looks pretty cool, and the customizatiWAIT IT'S OBSIDIAN

HHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I'm digging the customization by the way. I'll give pretty much any game a chance as long as I can choose a character's looks and shit like that.

DriacKin

Arbiter
sportforredneck said:
I'm digging the customization by the way. I'll give pretty much any game a chance as long as I can choose a character's looks and shit like that.

Meh. I find that stuff to be pretty damn gimicky.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
sportforredneck said:
I'll give pretty much any game a chance as long as I can choose a character's looks and shit like that.

I see, the essential RPG features! COMPLETELY AGREE!

DriacKin said:
sportforredneck said:

I play The Sims games for hours. Gimicky or not, I fucking enjoy it.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
sportforredneck said:
DriacKin said:
sportforredneck said:

I play The Sims games for hours. Gimicky or not, I fucking enjoy it.

:?

denizsi

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
"Seconds to ready shotgun critical" :roll:
Very RPG-y.

Stop calling it skills.

Skills.jpg

life_skills.jpg

Skills.jpg

Also, skills = Super Kills.

Anyway, it does make me sick that understanding of skills have been dumbed down to just a cumulative increase in damage. Which is the key to understanding CRPGs: there's no skill, there's only grind.

Lonewolf

Novice
Quoted from some comments after that video:

"a bestial roar to increase melee damage? RPG devs are out of their depth when it comes to creating anything that isnt something out of a d&d manual."

Blasphemy?

Texas Red

Whiner
I will be using the mirror thing exactly 0 times. Choosing your hair and shit is the most retarded thing to come to RPGs. I always skip that part and just go for whatever was premade.

Mystary!

Arcane
What's annoying me vid the vid is that he seems unaffected by the numerous gun shots he's recieving, some even point blank. What's the point of sneaking if you can just run up and smack them?

MetalCraze

Arcane
That's because sneaking is just a gimmick (much like it was in Oblivion) just like all other stuff in this game besides shooting - but Obsidian can say - hey it's stealth because you can sneak. Not mentioning that according to videos levels are full of script triggers - as soon as you touch them enemies will appear out of nowhere running at you and shooting.

Like in that russian level - walking through corridor that triggers enemies running from the other corridor behind the fence to which you can't get, walking through a corridor which triggers snipers shooting at you, hacking PC which triggers enemies appearing out of nowhere behind the gates, which then proceed to attack you.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Fucking. Timed. Dialogues. Otherwise, it doesn't look bad.

Rage animation reminded me of Fei Long's ultra. Other than that, the game looks great.

Cool. Let's make a list of things without which the game might have been so awesome.

I'll add mine:

It's a poor shooter and looks really bad. Otherwise it's great!

fastpunk

Arbiter
Alright, for the most part AP looks quite fun. But Furry is basically Barbarian Rage from D&D, Evasion is the D&D Thief's stealth mode, Chain Shot is... kind of like VATS, which is not a compliment. These powers just aren't interesting, temporary aiming aids and increased damage don't feel creative at all. That actually irks me more than them not fitting in the setting or whatever. And then we have the minigames... OK, for lockpicking, a minigame can work. But I was hoping that hacking computers (and interacting with them in general) would be done more like Vampire: Bloodlines, or at least KotOR series. Playing 'match the numbers' just isn't fun... or at least not my definition of fun.

That said, the safehouse stuff is cool and the customization is quite nice. The upgrade system for weapons and armor seems to be ripped directly from KotOR2, which is pretty good. Of course, in KotOR2 it wasn't necessary since the game was very easy and you didn't need the edge that an upgraded weapon would give you. The feature was just for people who wanted to micromanage their stuff in detail. Hopefully, gear will weigh heavier in AP (figuratively speaking of course). The fact that you only get to carry a limited number of weapons and gadgets with you on missions is a good sign in this regard. And I hope the A.I. gets some love and ends up posing a real challenge in the final game, else I fear weapons upgrades will matter about as much as they did in KotOR2.

I went from being sure I was going to buy this, to being on the fence about it. Eh, I'll wait until the first impressions come in and then make a decision. Not looking forward to much else this year though. Risen maybe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom