Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New D3 cinematic

racofer

Thread Incliner
Is Diablo the first Reaper?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Multidirectional said:
Satan said:
All Blizzard cinematics - great visuals and audio, everything else shit.

Fixed that for ya.
Damn bros, complaining that Blizzard cutscenes are generic is like complaining that rain is wet.

Not true. Starcraft had great cutscenes, and Diablo 2 was good up until after the second chapter (the moment that Angel guy appears its when things start to decline).

J1M

Arcane
Storyfag said:
Maybe he's meant to be corny? That's Belial, the Lord of Sin. One of the four Lesser Evils that tried to usurp rule over Hell from Diablo, Mefisto and Baal. Note: tried. And failed quite horribly, their scheme only helping the three Prime Evils to enter the mortal world. Maybe he's just not too bright?
Belial is lord of lies.
Azmodan is in this trailer.

His character design makes a lot more sense when you take into account the lord of sin aspect. According to the artists, they purposefully tried to incorporate things like gluttony and greed (adorned in gold) into his look.

Lyric Suite said:
Starcraft had great cutscenes, and Diablo 2 was good up until after the second chapter (the moment that Angel guy appears its when things start to decline).

Sorry bro but can't really relate. Starcraft/Broodwar and Diablo 2 seemed to me about as lame storywise as everything else by Blizzard. Perhaps lately they got even lamer, but I couldn't be arsed to pay enough attention to even make that distinction. Never understood why people would even care about their stories at this point. I like playing their games and enjoy quality visuals in cutscenes and that's about it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Starcraft: Broodwar had a good story, and some good believable characters with motivations and not many steretypes. Starcraft II is basically a demonstration on how many stereotypes you can fit into one game.

gee golly, I wonder if a lone hero will somehow end up stopping this egomaniacal, unstoppable demon lord? I tremble in suspense.

Oh, wait. That's just my colostomy bag. Which is probably more interesting and aesthetically pleasing than D3 will be.

CrazyLoon

Prophet
Darth Roxor said:
What the fuck, dual-wielding crossbow backflips? :lol: Can you get even more fucking corny? :lol:

Don't forget about the high heels. So far, all the trailers are very cringworthy and embarrassing. And who in the blue hell is that one chick? Is there any reason for her to even exist other than to give the teenage drones more fap material?

I'm not feeling the sexual tension between the girl and the demon lord of hell. Does Blizzard seriously not plan to have her save the demon lord of hell from his sins with the power of love and turn him back into a normal human?

CrazyLoon said:
Darth Roxor said:
What the fuck, dual-wielding crossbow backflips? :lol: Can you get even more fucking corny? :lol:

Don't forget about the high heels. So far, all the trailers are very cringworthy and embarrassing. And who in the blue hell is that one chick? Is there any reason for her to even exist other than to give the teenage drones more fap material?

You would rather give the fap material to overweight 40-something women fanfiction writers?

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Fucking LoTR bullshit. Can't they get the christian dark gothic vibe correctly? Guess not.

And what's with the wailing woman in every goddamn music piece? I'm really tired of that shit

Menckenstein said:
I was really shocked that the scholar chick didn't have giant fucking pauldrons attached to her robe. So in Diablo you banish Diablo from ye olde kingdom, in Diablo 2 & LOD you kill (or banish and kill) Andariel, Duriel Mephisto, Diablo and Baal and now you're stuck with their retarded little brother? Oh how terrifying. Act 2 boss will be undead panda king. :cry:

There's only so much you can do with horror and action rpg mechanics. The first part is about making the player feel overwhelmed and hopeless, the second is about making the player feel powerful and overwhelming. In the end in those kind of games, you're a one-man army. To put a horror twist on that is a pretty delicate entreprise.

The ending to D1 was perfect, if you think about it. Become the one-man army, be overwhelmed by your own demons. A lot of people say how great Starcraft's story is, I wouldn't know that because I don't play twitch games (I'm too manually handicaped I mean too smart for it), but I think Blizzard does deserve credit for the D1-D2 plot. Seeing the Wanderer turning into Diablo had to make you feel for it if you took the moment to think about it. I think it started to degenerate at the end of D2 and with LoD, where it already took a LoTR twist. It doesn't work anymore because the pessimism was put into the backrow. The ending was ambiguous, but you still killed everyone in the end and that was it. The "prime evils", instead of perhaps being something undefeatable and metaphysical in nature, are just a bunch of big ass monsters which are taken down by manic skill and potion spam.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Darth Roxor said:
One does not simply Diablo 3 into Mordor.

Also, there are some more trailers in the related videos that I haven't seen before.

Like this daemonhunter trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=T0ujTQBIObo

At least she's not wearing high heels in the middle of a fi... oh.

Darth Roxor said:
One does not simply Diablo 3 into Mordor.

Also, there are some more trailers in the related videos that I haven't seen before.

Like this daemonhunter trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=T0ujTQBIObo

Yeah, that one made me rage/lol too. Especially the "there's always a choice" thrown in there for teh lulz.

It's just like in SC2, it's just random film cliches thrown in for the lulz.

Archibald

Arcane
The ending to D1 was perfect, if you think about it. Become the one-man army, be overwhelmed by your own demons. A lot of people say how great Starcraft's story is, I wouldn't know that because I don't play twitch games (I'm too manually handicaped I mean too smart for it), but I think Blizzard does deserve credit for the D1-D2 plot. Seeing the Wanderer turning into Diablo had to make you feel for it if you took the moment to think about it. I think it started to degenerate at the end of D2 and with LoD, where it already took a LoTR twist. It doesn't work anymore because the pessimism was put into the backrow. The ending was ambiguous, but you still killed everyone in the end and that was it. The "prime evils", instead of perhaps being something undefeatable and metaphysical in nature, are just a bunch of big ass monsters which are taken down by manic skill and potion spam.

Amen.

Machocruz

Arcane
More pillowy Blizzard animation. When did they decide to use Hugo from Street Fighter 3 as inspiration?

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Archibald said:

Amen.

Indeed... Words of a true sage :salute:

nanomagnetic

Novice
First video I've seen to use the new lighting techniques for skin. Hard to say if we're still descending the uncanny valley at this point.

Pretty neat, though.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
That was terrible. I mean first of all, they imply the whole thing is a fucking dream with the chick nodding off, and kneecap any possible tension for her well being. The the fucking 'hell' place is filled with light shafts and smoke, but no corpses, blood, or fire. None of the creatures do anything violent or evil, save *gasp* damage the precious terrain!

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
This kind of juvenile "creative-less direction" has been blowing out of Blizzard's arse for a long time.

Starcraft 2 single-player had glimpses of brilliance of the old Blizzard, but... Diablo 3 looks like a cheap amusement park created for the largest possible audience.

The lack of town portals alone. Those things were one of Diablo's key mechanics and visual cues. Now they're WoW portal stones. Sweet Mohammed.

And the game looks like zoomed out WoW taking place entirely in Raven cemetery area of DarkShire. Purple fucking wands and all.

MCA
Archibald said:

Amen.

Not that I care about Diablo series but after D2+LOD, I've thought that they could have kept things interesting by corrupting Tyrael and drag the plot to a more ambiguous direction instead of going through every shit demon and its distant cousin.

And D2 cinematics were excellent. I enjoyed them a lot. A lot more than the game for certain.

Fucking Blizzard.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Kinda reminded me of the Burning Legion. Dramatic boasting, set the world on fire, etc.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
villain of the story said:
Not that I care about Diablo series but after D2+LOD, I've thought that they could have kept things interesting by corrupting Tyrael and drag the plot to a more ambiguous direction instead of going through every shit demon and its distant cousin.

TRU DAT.

Even though going up on that chain of power results in pure ridiculousness eventually (see the show "Supernatural" for the laughs), it would be still a better decision to go UP (i.e. Tyrael), than to remain on a certain plane of "sameness", which has already been drained of its mystery and dread.

Diablo's favorite second cousin Beelzebub is going to... uh... BREATHE FIRE! And uh... KILL EVERYTHING! Because... IT RUNS IN THE FAMILY!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom